Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    So I was at the Philly card show this weekend and I FINALLY found a 2014 Trout card. This completes my run for Mike trout refractor cards. 

I have the latest SP cards that I need to have graded to add in too. 

Collecting a “project” has been made this hobby extremely satisfying for me. I like collecting runs of a certain type of card. 
    I used to go to the philly card shows for awhile (it's been about 10 years or so since I went to the last one). Where are they being held now? The ones I went to were mainly held at Valley Forge convention center and then at Oaks.
    They moved it over to the expo center a few miles away.  Nice big venue.  It was packed as hell.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    on2legs said:

it was this one....from what I remember it was just in an envelope in a box in his closet. It may have been in his dad's closet...which makes more sense.
    That is actually his second card but beloved and most expensive card.  That one pictured is worth a few hundred thousand.
    When my buddy and I were at the National convention in Atlantic City last summer we got to see the 52 Mantle that sold for $12 million.  🤩
    Yep, I took my picture with it too, lol!
    Wait… you took a photo with a non PSA graded card?!?? 🤣
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

it was this one....from what I remember it was just in an envelope in a box in his closet. It may have been in his dad's closet...which makes more sense.
    That is actually his second card but beloved and most expensive card.  That one pictured is worth a few hundred thousand.
    When my buddy and I were at the National convention in Atlantic City last summer we got to see the 52 Mantle that sold for $12 million.  🤩
    I actually hate PSA.   
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I actually hate PSA.   
    why is that? I don't understand much about it other than I have heard you mail your stuff to them and pay them to grade it.

I assume that is an official appraisal? What do they charge?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I actually hate PSA.   
    why is that? I don't understand much about it other than I have heard you mail your stuff to them and pay them to grade it.

So.  I've been into cards since I was 2.  I understand how to grade a card and what they will get and what their guidelines are.  I sent in a few hundred cards that they held for almost 2 years.  Those cards I spent a few thousand on, all but 3 came back undergraded. so in 400 cards, that I inspected with a magnifying glass, only 3 came back 10's.

I am not the only one who has complained.  I had an 85% gem rate prior to that.  They changed how they graded cards or hired newer people whom weren't on the same page.

I understand that grading is subjective but you held my cards for 2 years like a lot of people and then you decided to change the way you did from previous times.

That is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I actually hate PSA.   

So.  I've been into cards since I was 2.  I understand how to grade a card and what they will get and what their guidelines are.  I sent in a few hundred cards that they held for almost 2 years.  Those cards I spent a few thousand on, all but 3 came back undergraded. so in 400 cards, that I inspected with a magnifying glass, only 3 came back 10's.

I am not the only one who has complained.  I had an 85% gem rate prior to that.  They changed how they graded cards or hired newer people whom weren't on the same page.

I understand that grading is subjective but you held my cards for 2 years like a lot of people and then you decided to change the way you did from previous times.

That is why.
    wow...did they have some sort of contact person for you? How do you know what stage of the process your stuff is in?

Two fucking years is insane.  

And out of curiosity....what do they charge you to evaluate 400 cards?

is there a different company that does the same thing? I see that "SGC" listed on the Mantle card.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

I actually hate PSA.   

That is why.
    wow...did they have some sort of contact person for you? How do you know what stage of the process your stuff is in?

Two fucking years is insane.  

And out of curiosity....what do they charge you to evaluate 400 cards?

is there a different company that does the same thing? I see that "SGC" listed on the Mantle card.
    I'll answer in order.

There is a "contact" person but their policy is you'll get it when we are done with it.  yes they have a look up of what stage the cards are in.  Unfortunately there were hundreds of people in this same predicament if not thousands.

2 years is insane.

$25 a card.  You can do the math. Just so you get an idea, If one of 30 cards that I had came back a 10 it would have paid for all of the grading in one swoop.  1 in 30.  Naturally the 3 cards I got in a 10 weren't one of those.

There is Beckett and SGC, yes.  I used to do solely with BGS/Beckett but just before the pandemic when newer people came in to the hobby they all wanted PSA slabs so you do what you can to make your cards more appealing.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    I’m slowly uncovering my collection… have lots of cards from the 60s and some from the 50s.  Mostly Yankees.  Collected a ton in the 80s and bailed out in the early 90s.  

Also have a ton of autographs… this is a 28x43 poster they did for the 1961 Yankees reunion show in Atlantic City in 1990.  They had 30 of the remaining players there to sign… Mantle, yogi, whitey Ford, etc.  Signed by the artist too. 

Why did Mantle forget to sign yours?
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    I’m slowly uncovering my collection… have lots of cards from the 60s and some from the 50s.  Mostly Yankees.  Collected a ton in the 80s and bailed out in the early 90s.  

Also have a ton of autographs… this is a 28x43 poster they did for the 1961 Yankees reunion show in Atlantic City in 1990.  They had 30 of the remaining players there to sign… Mantle, yogi, whitey Ford, etc.  Signed by the artist too. 

You need glasses. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

You need glasses. 
    HA!  He didn't sign it on his body like everyone else, that's why I missed it.

I'm staring at this thing saying, that's Mantle in the middle but did his sig fade?  Not even looking at the emblem for it.

Hahahahaha!!!!
  • Options
    So take a Pete Rose rookie card as an example....what would someone look for?

Like a PSA 4 or 5 because the cost is lower?

Does it make sense to even bother buying one that isn't graded? I see some on ebay for a few hundred bucks that look ok.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

You need glasses. 

I'm staring at this thing saying, that's Mantle in the middle but did his sig fade?  Not even looking at the emblem for it.

Hahahahaha!!!!
    He actually requested to sign it there.   I guess when you’re Mickey Mantle you like to stand out. Plus it allowed him to sign it bigger than everyone else.  😁

Yogi Berra was awesome.  Such a nice guy.  I was able to get his autograph twice… for this one and another about 10 or so years later.  The first time he had a giant gold ring on that looked like a World Series ring so I asked him which year it was from… and he told me it was his Hall of Fame ring.  And then he took it off and let me hold it and try it on!  Really sweet guy.  

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

You need glasses. 

Hahahahaha!!!!
    He actually requested to sign it there.   I guess when you’re Mickey Mantle you like to stand out. Plus it allowed him to sign it bigger than everyone else.  😁

Yogi Berra was awesome.  Such a nice guy.  I was able to get his autograph twice… for this one and another about 10 or so years later.  The first time he had a giant gold ring on that looked like a World Series ring so I asked him which year it was from… and he told me it was his Hall of Fame ring.  And then he took it off and let me hold it and try it on!  Really sweet guy.  
    wow....those are some kickass brushes with greatness

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    So I was at the Philly card show this weekend and I FINALLY found a 2014 Trout card. This completes my run for Mike trout refractor cards. 

I have the latest SP cards that I need to have graded to add in too. 

Collecting a “project” has been made this hobby extremely satisfying for me. I like collecting runs of a certain type of card. 
    I used to go to the philly card shows for awhile (it's been about 10 years or so since I went to the last one). Where are they being held now? The ones I went to were mainly held at Valley Forge convention center and then at Oaks.
    They moved it over to the expo center a few miles away.  Nice big venue.  It was packed as hell.
    ah, that's what I thought they did but wasn't sure.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Get them into better slabs.  Nice cards.
    CSG is probably the 2nd best in card grading now and growing, a lot of their grades are tougher than PSA. Many 9.5s cross over to PSA 10 when submitted ....They're #1 in graded Comics
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Recent pulls 

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    Or football, basketball, Pokemon whatever. Trade, chat, discuss or show off your collection. I'll start with my best pack pulls.

Nice!!!!!

• Options
    I'd like to get these in better slabs... I hear good things about this guy...haha (Not a bad investment for about $20 a piece back in 2011-12

• Options
    edited March 2023
    myoung321 said:
    I'd like to get these in better slabs... I hear good things about this guy...haha (Not a bad investment for about $20 a piece back in 2011-12

That bccg slab should be upgraded.  People that own them claim they are worth it but the people that buy don’t.

Edit: Nice cards by the way.  The psa 10 was up to 4K at its peak.  That’s just crazy.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    I don’t see anyone at shows clamoring about CSG or in any card group I’m in and I’m in a bunch.

FCG is known to also have good crossovers.  You know what that means?  You buy the cheaper slabs then crack them out and get them in the one that makes you more money.

CGC gets a lot of crap in comics too but they get the most money for their slabs.  

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward but the older collectors prefer PSA and SCG first with Beckett third depending on what you are sending.  CSG has always been 4th on everyone’s list.
  • Options
    So take a Pete Rose rookie card as an example....what would someone look for?

Like a PSA 4 or 5 because the cost is lower?

Does it make sense to even bother buying one that isn't graded? I see some on ebay for a few hundred bucks that look ok.
    A Rose card was a highly faked back in the day.  Google it if you really want one but I wouldn’t buy one raw unless you have it authenticated or can see it in person.

That being said if you don’t want to throw down a few grand for a high grade buy a lower grade with good eye appeal.  You can buy a 3 that looks amazing sometimes.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:

That bccg slab should be upgraded.  People that own them claim they are worth it but the people that buy don’t.

Edit: Nice cards by the way.  The psa 10 was up to 4K at its peak.  That’s just crazy.
    I"ll re-slab the BCCG eventually, if I planned on selling I'd do it sooner, but haven't planned on selling.. , To be honest it looks great. I think it will cross-over to a PSA 10.. centering is perfect and corners are all sharp. it as good or better than the 9.5 Beckett one.   

• Options
    I don’t see anyone at shows clamoring about CSG or in any card group I’m in and I’m in a bunch.

FCG is known to also have good crossovers.  You know what that means?  You buy the cheaper slabs then crack them out and get them in the one that makes you more money.

CGC gets a lot of crap in comics too but they get the most money for their slabs.  

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward but the older collectors prefer PSA and SCG first with Beckett third depending on what you are sending.  CSG has always been 4th on everyone’s list.
    Didn't say people were clamoring, said they are getting more respectble... seeing more and more of them. Their labels look better now than the old green ones. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:

Didn't say people were clamoring, said they are getting more respectble... seeing more and more of them. Their labels look better now than the old green ones. 
    They do look much better.  The reason for seeing more of them was people needed another option from the big 3 so when they put their hat in the ring collectors came to them.  Time will tell.

As for the BCCG, those were always advertised as mint or better so an BGS8 could be a bccg 10 and not uncommon to crack them out and not get a 10.

Beautiful cards though.  I'm a Trout collector so i appreciate them.  I picked up an BGS 8.5 Finest this weekend that I plan to crack and resub.

As for the others like KSA, HGA and GMA I don't bother.

I appreciate your comments.  Would love to chat in a PM about cards some more!
  • Options
    One of my best pulls in the past few years. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    What's a slab (in terms of cards)? is that card sleeve or holder you put it in?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    What's a slab (in terms of cards)? is that card sleeve or holder you put it in?
    A "slab" refers to the case a graded card is in and the company that grades them... PSA being the most popular grading service. 

The plastic sleeves are usually called "Penny Sleeves"

Hard plastic cases where the cards slides into it is a "Top Loader"

Then you have magnetic "One Touch" holders that have replaced the old screw down version.. 

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    One of my best pulls in the past few years. 
    Nice!!!!

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    I was more into the football cards. At one point I had 
    3 rookie Walter Payton cards
    Rookie Jim Brown, 2nd and 3rd year Brown.
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton, also 2nd and 3rd year.
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

Still have most of the baseball cards but the football cards are long gone. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    I was more into the football cards. At one point I had 
    3 rookie Walter Payton cards
    Rookie Jim Brown, 2nd and 3rd year Brown.
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton, also 2nd and 3rd year.
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

Still have most of the baseball cards but the football cards are long gone. 
    Those are great. I have every topps set from 1984 through 1994 along with various fleers, donruss, score, bowman and a set of minor league cards. Also had the pro set cards and various NBA and NHL cards in the 1990s. Topps turned me off by selling the complete set as series one and two and I haven't bought one since then.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."