Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    I was more into the football cards. At one point I had 
    3 rookie Walter Payton cards
    Rookie Jim Brown, 2nd and 3rd year Brown.
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton, also 2nd and 3rd year.
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

Still have most of the baseball cards but the football cards are long gone. 
    Those are great. I have every topps set from 1984 through 1994 along with various fleers, donruss, score, bowman and a set of minor league cards. Also had the pro set cards and various NBA and NHL cards in the 1990s. Topps turned me off by selling the complete set as series one and two and I haven't bought one since then.
    In the 50's through the 70's they actually made multiple releases or series during the year.  So if you have a 1952 pack it may not have the Mantle if it's not the sixth series.  It was fairly new that they were putting all the cards in one big set but I know what you mean.  I was peaved when they did it in basketball in 93.  One series had the Jordan and the other had the Shaq rc.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,984
    Haven't bought a pack of cards in over 45 years, but back in the day I had some gems. 
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus
    Had many different Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, and other big names from the 50's and 60's. I still have a bunch of Ernie Banks from the 50 and 60's.

good stuff....I remember we used to use fishing tackle boxes to store our cards. I sure wish I would have hung onto those.

I have a memory of having a bunch of my cards laid out on the floor and my grandma rolling over them with a vacuum cleaner because she told me to pick them up and I didn't. At least she warned me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    edited March 2023
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

good stuff....I remember we used to use fishing tackle boxes to store our cards. I sure wish I would have hung onto those.

I have a memory of having a bunch of my cards laid out on the floor and my grandma rolling over them with a vacuum cleaner because she told me to pick them up and I didn't. At least she warned me.
    Lol. That sounds like my grandmother. My dad had a good bit of cards from the 50s/60s when he was a kid. He swore that he had a Mantle rookie card and some Aaron and Mays. He kept them in a shoebox in his closet. My grandmother went on a cleaning spree one spring and just threw them all away. She said it was a shoebox with no shoes, so it was trash to her.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,444
    The irony is that if all those cards didn’t get tossed in the trash long ago, baseball cards would be worth a lot less today.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,908
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Lol. That sounds like my grandmother. My dad had a good bit of cards from the 50s/60s when he was a kid. He swore that he had a Mantle rookie card and some Aaron and Mays. He kept them in a shoebox in his closet. My grandmother went on a cleaning spree one spring and just threw them all away. She said it was a shoebox with no shoes, so it was trash to her.
    My grandfather did something similar to my dad’s comic books from the 40’s and 50’s. When my dad went away to college my grandfather gave all the comic books to a children’s hospital without asking him. That was nice of him, but still..  My dad thinks he had early editions that may have been worth something today. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

My grandfather did something similar to my dad’s comic books from the 40’s and 50’s. When my dad went away to college my grandfather gave all the comic books to a children’s hospital without asking him. That was nice of him, but still..  My dad thinks he had early editions that may have been worth something today. 
    My father and I collected since I was 2.  Around my 8th birthday she threw out everything we had collected.  We had them all wrapped up nice and neat, untouched, and she threw them all out...
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    The irony is that if all those cards didn’t get tossed in the trash long ago, baseball cards would be worth a lot less today.  
    Not entirely true.  Topps literally dumped truckloads of 1952 topps into the ocean/landfill.  The 52 Mantle is actually a double printed card.  Sometimes people just like the cards and nostalgia helps.

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    GlowGirl said:
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

My father and I collected since I was 2.  Around my 8th birthday she threw out everything we had collected.  We had them all wrapped up nice and neat, untouched, and she threw them all out...
    The first set I remember being bought for me as a kid was the 1987 Topps, which is probably why it's my all-time favorite. I actually wound up working at a game company for a few years and when one of the researchers was cleaning out his office to move to the different space he gave me the 1985, 86 and 88 Topps sets.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

The first set I remember being bought for me as a kid was the 1987 Topps, which is probably why it's my all-time favorite. I actually wound up working at a game company for a few years and when one of the researchers was cleaning out his office to move to the different space he gave me the 1985, 86 and 88 Topps sets.
    87 topps is iconic with that wood grain.  Reminded everyone of the 62 topps.  It's anniversary was last year so Topps had some inserts with them included in the packs.

88 any set is most likely the most awful designs and overprinted cards in any year.  All of them, Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Score have just putrid designs, lol.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Not entirely true.  Topps literally dumped truckloads of 1952 topps into the ocean/landfill.  The 52 Mantle is actually a double printed card.  Sometimes people just like the cards and nostalgia helps.

What part wasn't true?

Nostalgia is great and certainly helps, but people loved baseball in the 80s and those cards will never approach the values of the cards printed before they became a collectible no matter how much people love Don Mattingly. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

87 topps is iconic with that wood grain.  Reminded everyone of the 62 topps.  It's anniversary was last year so Topps had some inserts with them included in the packs.

88 any set is most likely the most awful designs and overprinted cards in any year.  All of them, Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Score have just putrid designs, lol.
    Another underrated aspect of 87 was the really random facts on the back of the cards. Like David Palmer likes classic rock or Howard Johnson won a rib-eating contest.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

Nostalgia is great and certainly helps, but people loved baseball in the 80s and those cards will never approach the values of the cards printed before they became a collectible no matter how much people love Don Mattingly. 
    I get your point.  I am also stating that some cards are not necessarily rare like the 86 fleer basketball stuff or 89 Upper Deck, even 2011 topps update.  There are tons of it out there but it remains very sought after.

Now cards from the 30's and early 40's are a different animal.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    GlowGirl said:
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

I have liked the anniversary inserts the past few years as they went through my main baseball card collecting of 84, 85, 86, and 87... but yeah, 88 gets kind of blah... then I got caught up in the pro set hype for the NHL and NFL.  

I dig this year's Topps design.  
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,960
    I love 87' Topps cards.  Also 91' Topps.  Both for sentimental reasons and I like the designs. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    myoung321 said:
    What's a slab (in terms of cards)? is that card sleeve or holder you put it in?
    A "slab" refers to the case a graded card is in and the company that grades them... PSA being the most popular grading service. 

The plastic sleeves are usually called "Penny Sleeves"

Hard plastic cases where the cards slides into it is a "Top Loader"

Then you have magnetic "One Touch" holders that have replaced the old screw down version.. 

oh ok, none of mine are graded.

I do have a few good football cards from the 80s like Joe Montana and LT RC. Unfortunately i've had them since I was a kid and they're not in the greatest condition.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

I get your point.  I am also stating that some cards are not necessarily rare like the 86 fleer basketball stuff or 89 Upper Deck, even 2011 topps update.  There are tons of it out there but it remains very sought after.

I love the 86 Fleer basketball.  At the National I met the guy who is hoarding half the Johnny Moore PSA 10’s that are known to exist. He wanted like $60k each!  

• Options
    edited March 2023
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

I love the 86 Fleer basketball.  At the National I met the guy who is hoarding half the Johnny Moore PSA 10’s that are known to exist. He wanted like $60k each!  
    There are only 67 of them...  Want to hear something stupid?  There are 66 Jeff Malones in a PSA 10... And nobody goes ape shit over that one...

EDIT:  Speaking of the National, did you see the Jordan Supercollector showing off every rare insert there was?  He had them all.  I was blown away by that one.  Most of those cards I had only seen on the web.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

There are only 67 of them...  Want to hear something stupid?  There are 66 Jeff Malones in a PSA 10... And nobody goes ape shit over that one...

EDIT:  Speaking of the National, did you see the Jordan Supercollector showing off every rare insert there was?  He had them all.  I was blown away by that one.  Most of those cards I had only seen on the web.

It's not about the player.  It's that one dealer is hoarding half the known PSA 10's for Johnny Moore. So he's basically controlling the market and if you want to put together a PSA 10 set you're likely going to have to go through that one guy to get a Johnny Moore.  My buddy and I were just about done for the day and we stopped to look at a table with a ton of 86 Fleer graded cards.  I saw the Johnny Moore card on the table with a price tag of 60k and I asked my buddy why it was worth that much.  Another customer near me overheard and said it was because one dealer owned almost all of them and was controlling the market.  At that point the dealer behind the table said, "Yeah... that's me but I actually only have half of them".  :o

I didn't see the Jordan collection... would have loved to see it. 

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

It's not about the player.  It's that one dealer is hoarding half the known PSA 10's for Johnny Moore. So he's basically controlling the market and if you want to put together a PSA 10 set you're likely going to have to go through that one guy to get a Johnny Moore.  My buddy and I were just about done for the day and we stopped to look at a table with a ton of 86 Fleer graded cards.  I saw the Johnny Moore card on the table with a price tag of 60k and I asked my buddy why it was worth that much.  Another customer near me overheard and said it was because one dealer owned almost all of them and was controlling the market.  At that point the dealer behind the table said, "Yeah... that's me but I actually only have half of them".  :o

Ahhhhhhh, Now I get it.  So the PSA 10 seekers can only have like 30 complete sets.  That is amazing.

I am in need of a Derek Jeter 2003 PSA 10 card to complete my run.  There is one on Ebay right now for a cool $845.  F That.  There are only 36 of them so these are hard to come by.  I got lucky getting the 2001 PSA 10 and the 1993's came down from outer space from 2000 to under 400 now.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

Ahhhhhhh, Now I get it.  So the PSA 10 seekers can only have like 30 complete sets.  That is amazing.

I am in need of a Derek Jeter 2003 PSA 10 card to complete my run.  There is one on Ebay right now for a cool $845.  F That.  There are only 36 of them so these are hard to come by.  I got lucky getting the 2001 PSA 10 and the 1993's came down from outer space from 2000 to under 400 now.
    A Jeter PSA 10 run?!?  Nice work, Chris!! 

I have an album full of Jeter cards if you’re interested in.  LMK.  

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902
    Used to be a big collector in the late 80s and early 90s.  This Winfield rookie card is still one of my faves.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

The card that started the 80s baseball card boom.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    Used to be a big collector in the late 80s and early 90s.  This Winfield rookie card is still one of my faves.  
    My best collecting memory as a kid in the mid 80s was putting together a hand collated 1974 Topps set with my dad. We even tracked down all the Washington Senators error cards. Good stuff! 
    Post edited by EddieJeffStoneMikeMattBoom on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902

A collector once told me that an autograph takes away from the value of a rookie card; any truth to this?  My dad was a mattingly nut!  Would collect anything and everything from him.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,807
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Those are great. I have every topps set from 1984 through 1994 along with various fleers, donruss, score, bowman and a set of minor league cards. Also had the pro set cards and various NBA and NHL cards in the 1990s. Topps turned me off by selling the complete set as series one and two and I haven't bought one since then.
    So, I pulled out some of the old cards today and there are 2 that really bring back some memories for me. 

I have a 59 Clemente .....My dad always said Clemente was the greatest player he ever daw

I have a 69 Reggie Jackson.....My mom let me stay up on October 18 1977 to watch game 6 of the World Series
    Jackson hit 3 home runs
    October 18 is my birthday.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

So, I pulled out some of the old cards today and there are 2 that really bring back some memories for me. 

I have a 59 Clemente .....My dad always said Clemente was the greatest player he ever daw

I have a 69 Reggie Jackson.....My mom let me stay up on October 18 1977 to watch game 6 of the World Series
    Jackson hit 3 home runs
    That's a terrific card I'm sure. Every time I've seen Reggie Jackson at a game, I can't help but think of him as the right fielder in the Naked Gun movie. I have Reggie cards towards the end of his career with the Angels and when he returned to the A's. Recently when I go through cards, I sort them by players who became managers/coaches or broadcasters.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

A collector once told me that an autograph takes away from the value of a rookie card; any truth to this?  My dad was a mattingly nut!  Would collect anything and everything from him.  
    Back when you were collecting it was faux pas to get a RC card or any good card signed. Those days are long gone and signing cards is a big thing now. 

Trout will not sign one of his RC cards anymore unless through special commissions. 

Autos on card are a big deal. 
  • Options
    3rd year Johnny Unitas
    Rookie Gale Sayers
    Rookie Dick Butkus

Jackson hit 3 home runs
    My first big RC card was the reggie 69. I still have it. My first big time RC card. 

I think it’s worth less now than when it was first purchased back in 84, lol. 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

What part wasn't true?

A Jeter PSA 10 run?!?  Nice work, Chris!! 

I have an album full of Jeter cards if you’re interested in.  LMK.  
    Thx Tom  just like the jeter run I decided to do the Trout chrome refractor run  I actually need a bigger display now  this was the first pic I put on here now the cards are more discernible.

once I get that elusive 03 I’ll be a happy person  I might buy a dozen raw and try my luck  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    anyone remember these basketball cards from the early 80's?
    1980-81 Topps Basketball Checklist Set Info Details Reviews

Luckily i didn't have this particular one but i did have one with Kareem on it and being a young kid I of course ripped them at the seam to make them three individual ones Pearl-Jam-Smileys:lol:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly