Options

The Baseball Card Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

what is the difference with these PSA/DNA cards? I see these "Auto 10" references but it isn't really PSA 10 right?
    The card is "authentic" without a grade.  The auto was also authenticated and graded a 10.  The card itself would grade 1 at best so you make it authentic and get an ayuto and your card is now worth something.

These are great ways to make money if you own the card.  People pay wayyyy too much for these.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,938
    JojoRice said:
    JojoRice said:
    I've got thousands of commons from the late 80s-early 90s.  I'd like to get rid of them so that I can free up some storage space.  Hate to just throw them away but I might have to.  
    I'd take them off your hands.  You on the East coast at least?
    Kennesaw, GA.  Just north of Atlanta. 
    I'll pay shipping!

I always wondered if Kennesaw was named after the baseball commissioner or vice =versa?
    Na.  It's an old indian term I think. I have no idea how much shipping would cost.  All of the cards are mostly in binders and some card storage boxes.  I'm guessing there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k-10k cards. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    edited April 2023
    Just got this guy…..great thread. I’ll post a bunch of older ones tomorrow.
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    on2legs said:
    That seller used the eBay standard envelope postage to ship your card.  eBay came up with that method of shipping to make it cheaper to ship small flat items.  But they specifically say it’s not supposed to be used for graded cards.  One of the requirements of using the standard envelope is that it has to be thin enough to go through a postage reader.  I’m guessing your card lost the battle with the postage reader. 😂 

Yup, that's exactly what they did... The seller was new (not a lot of feedback), so they learned a lesson.. could have been worse. It was a cheap card...
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    Just bought a 2015 Topps Chrome Trout SP.  Stoked to add this to my collection.  So now I have every SP and SSP from 15 to present in Chrome!  
  • Options

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    I have some good stuff showing up at the house this week.
    59 Aaron
    59 Musial
    62 Musial
    76 Rookie Payton PSA 7 (Looking forward to that one arriving)
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I have some good stuff showing up at the house this week.
    59 Aaron
    59 Musial
    62 Musial
    76 Rookie Payton PSA 7 (Looking forward to that one arriving)
    Spending some dough!
  • Options

• Options
    Hi! said:

They were some gooood looking dudes, lol.

I believe I have an Iron Maiden card from this set?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Hi! said:

Nice, I just found this one over the weekend sorting through some boxes, thought it was pretty funny. I found a few that brought back some memories/struck a chord.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Hi! said:

I have an unopened box of these and 4 full sets if anyone is interested..

Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    edited April 2023
    BTW there are two versions of he Soundgarden card.. Jason Everman (bass) and Ben Shepard (Bass) ----   Jason Everman is famous for getting kicked out of both Soundgarden and Nirvana... ouch... 

• Options
    oh saw this the other day... perfect for someone wanting to learn the glossary of terms associated with card collecting....

https://ripped.topps.com/glossary/

• Options
    Who got it?

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    JojoRice said:
    I've got thousands of commons from the late 80s-early 90s.  I'd like to get rid of them so that I can free up some storage space.  Hate to just throw them away but I might have to.  
    I'm about to File 13 mine as well. The cardboard they are printed on is worth more than the cards themselves. I might throw "starter sets" on ebay and see if anyone bites first. But that seems like a lot of effort for something I probably already know the results of.
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

No way that $1 or $2 card got 10 bids and sold for $404 I'm calling BS..... and I remember seeing it on Ebay and laughing.. I probably have 10 of those.. I'll give them all to ya for $400 haha

• Options
    The same account sold a different Mookie card for $191 -  Link  ..............and several others...WTF? 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    The same account sold a different Mookie card for $191 -  Link  ..............and several others...WTF? 
    Damn, I didn’t even see the Fleer Mookie, much more reasonable than the $400 for the Skybox Mookie. I was interested in the Skybox when it was sitting at $61.00 for a week, no way I would go $400. I did like some of the other baseball related backstage passes, fun pieces to look at.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    myoung321 said:
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

No way that $1 or $2 card got 10 bids and sold for $404 I'm calling BS..... and I remember seeing it on Ebay and laughing.. I probably have 10 of those.. I'll give them all to ya for $400 haha
    This is Curtis' actual BS pass though w the credentials on the back, no?  Not just a Mookie card.

Edit:  I take this back.  You too can laminate your Mookie Blaylock card with nothing designating it was an actual laminate from the tour and pass it off as a real one....

I would pay for the provenance and nothing else for this.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    I have seen some crazy shit in cards like a 69 mantle being mailed and stamped, colored in eyes on a card or even a bubble being blown added in.  I have never seen this though.  This one takes the cake.  I find zero worth in this but hey, someone will buy it I'm sure...

https://www.csgcards.com/news/article/11226/
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I have seen some crazy shit in cards like a 69 mantle being mailed and stamped, colored in eyes on a card or even a bubble being blown added in.  I have never seen this though.  This one takes the cake.  I find zero worth in this but hey, someone will buy it I'm sure...

not that it is anywhere near the value but it reminds me of my autographed Pete Rose reds program from 1977. One of my teachers had a game program with Pete Rose on the cover autographed by Pete at the game. She gave it to me and I took it home and wrote my fucking name on the top of the program in giant black marker with 3rd grade writing.

dumbass
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

This is Curtis' actual BS pass though w the credentials on the back, no?  Not just a Mookie card.

Edit:  I take this back.  You too can laminate your Mookie Blaylock card with nothing designating it was an actual laminate from the tour and pass it off as a real one....

exactly... it is just the Mookie card...nothing special about it.. front or back.. If someone actually bought these then there are some real gullible people out there... Like I said... I have at least 10 of each of those.. I'd more than happily part with them for that price... I'll even laminate them for you.....lol

• Options

Thats nuts... 

• Options

not that it is anywhere near the value but it reminds me of my autographed Pete Rose reds program from 1977. One of my teachers had a game program with Pete Rose on the cover autographed by Pete at the game. She gave it to me and I took it home and wrote my fucking name on the top of the program in giant black marker with 3rd grade writing.

dumbass
    Ouch.... 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

exactly... it is just the Mookie card...nothing special about it.. front or back.. If someone actually bought these then there are some real gullible people out there... Like I said... I have at least 10 of each of those.. I'd more than happily part with them for that price... I'll even laminate them for you.....lol
    That's the thing.  It's the provenance of it.  This was a reputable dealer who is selling for Kelly Curtis.

If you catch Ed's harmonica at a show you have to prove that it was his because anyone can buy a Honer Harmonica.

Provenance if proven is worth a lot.  Not to me so much though, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

That's the thing.  It's the provenance of it.  This was a reputable dealer who is selling for Kelly Curtis.

If you catch Ed's harmonica at a show you have to prove that it was his because anyone can buy a Honer Harmonica.

There is no provenance. How is it possible to prove provenance on a common card that's just laminated? If it had been signed and dated before laminating then I guess...but even then I wouldn't buy it.. now if they took that card and had to reprinted or SKYBOX did it, with "All Access Pass" on the back of the original, instead of Mookie stats, then you might have something.. otherwise there's no proof except maybe 1 persons word... I doubt PSA or any reputable grading company would even verify it... 

Thinking you may be able to get video proof of the harmonica.... ? dunno... ::shrug:::
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Hi! said:
    Who got it?

There is no provenance. How is it possible to prove provenance on a common card that's just laminated? If it had been signed and dated before laminating then I guess...but even then I wouldn't buy it.. now if they took that card and had to reprinted or SKYBOX did it, with "All Access Pass" on the back of the original, instead of Mookie stats, then you might have something.. otherwise there's no proof except maybe 1 persons word... I doubt PSA or any reputable grading company would even verify it... 

Thinking you may be able to get video proof of the harmonica.... ? dunno... ::shrug:::
    OK.  Kelly Curtis made a deal with Rockaway records to sell all of his stuff.  His whole PJ and other concert related things were given to Rockaway records to sell.  You buy that from rockaway records.  That IS the provenance.  You have the receipt of sale and the website announcement.  That's how it works.

You'd have to have video of said harmonica. If you did then that is also provenance.

I admit a numbering system from Curtis or Rockaway would have been a better way to go but there is proof of what and whose it was.