Is the Vault vinyl series done?

Comments

• Naked JohnNaked John Posts: 317
    JimmyV said:
    I refuse to believe that "the vault" contains no more previously unreleased shows in quality good enough to make money off of. 

We do know most (all?) of the 98 shows were recorded, as that's when they had planned to start the bootleg series.

It's also weird that they couldn't put Breath from MSG 98 on LO2L because payment reasons, but I know I've heard that song on SiriusXM.
    The band taped most of the shows. Any shows that the venue would not charge $10,000.00 to record (Both MSG+ 2 others, etc.) If the band knew what would happen on stage for at least 4 shows...they could have released them proper and retired. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    JimmyV said:
    I refuse to believe that "the vault" contains no more previously unreleased shows in quality good enough to make money off of. 

We do know most (all?) of the 98 shows were recorded, as that's when they had planned to start the bootleg series.

It's also weird that they couldn't put Breath from MSG 98 on LO2L because payment reasons, but I know I've heard that song on SiriusXM.
    Why would they have to pay to have Breath on there? They have to lay royalties to the venue?
    I also remember reading, I think it was one of the Deep magazines a few years ago, that most of the 98 recordings were incomplete due to limitations on a mobile recording studio and tape changes mid song.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,613
    IF the vaults are indeed done, I’d love to see a pivot to releasing official post 2000 boots. Basic ass chipboard pocket sleeve with the black ink printing. 3-4 records inside. 
  • StardogChamp79StardogChamp79 Posts: 1,007
    edited March 2023
    I can see them waiting to see how this pressing goes with VMP and then releasing more in the future, with all the issues from pressing to delays to label flubs, etc. Honestly, I am surprised they are not hitting up Jack White and using his plant. Maybe they are probably hoping that having a reliable pressing plant in the US (VMP is in Colorado, right?) would be beneficial. I don't see them ending vinyl releases anytime soon, not with people forking out loads of cash for albums (not just PJ) and the popularity of vinyl still increasing. 
    Post edited by StardogChamp79 on
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • js87130js87130 Posts: 89
    So where did all of this talk start about cancelling the vault series?  The last Vault (Vic Theater) was announced in the June '22 Newsletter.  
  • RB16012RB16012 Posts: 73
    mace1229 said:
    I also remember reading, I think it was one of the Deep magazines a few years ago, that most of the 98 recordings were incomplete due to limitations on a mobile recording studio and tape changes mid song.
    Interesting... DATs during that era could go at least 2 hours. Plenty of time to get to the encore to swap tapes (if someone was paying attention) with not much effort. 
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    IF the vaults are indeed done, I’d love to see a pivot to releasing official post 2000 boots. Basic ass chipboard pocket sleeve with the black ink printing. 3-4 records inside. 
    I like this idea. 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    axeljohan said:
    That they didn’t highlight vault releases as one of the perks of the new structured 10c-membership makes me think that there are no clear plan for future vault releases. We’ll see.
    I don't understand this reasoning? The clear plan for the last decade has been pre-order in summer, ship in winter. Why would anyone assume this has changed simply because Vaults didn't become a fan club item? They never have been.
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 940
    axeljohan said:
    That they didn’t highlight vault releases as one of the perks of the new structured 10c-membership makes me think that there are no clear plan for future vault releases. We’ll see.
    I don't understand this reasoning? The clear plan for the last decade has been pre-order in summer, ship in winter. Why would anyone assume this has changed simply because Vaults didn't become a fan club item? They never have been.
    You have to be a 10C member to order them, no?
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    Where do people see signs that it would be over? What have I missed?

You've only missed the hoops people jump through to come to these conclusions.
    ZoSoTim said:
    axeljohan said:
    You have to be a 10C member to order them, no?
    You have to be a fan club member to order many various special items from the shop - posters, other special edition vinyl, etc. Vaults are not exclusive to this, and they've typically been available to the general public once the pre-order window is over if allotment is still available. It's an elective purchase, not a guaranteed 10C member item.
    But you aren’t a Pearl Jam fan if you ain’t hand wringing over something 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    TOLEDO 2004

TO
    LE
    DO
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I think it’s because it’s been 2.5 years since a new vault has been announced.
    Vault 1 and 2 were just pressing a vault that was already out there. The vault 11 is still a mystery, a free download of what was aready out there, and never got the full treatment.
    So it isn’t too far out there to wonder if they’re done with the whole vault treatment thing.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    mace1229 said:

Vault 1 and 2 were just pressing a vault that was already out there. The vault 11 is still a mystery, a free download of what was aready out there, and never got the full treatment.
    So it isn’t too far out there to wonder if they’re done with the whole vault treatment thing.
    Except I got a new vault vinyl this year and the year before and the year before.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Release the audio in a high quality format and that's enough of a vault treatment for me. No vinyl needed. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 770
    Out of all the vinyl that Pearl Jam releases over the year there is nothing I look forward to more than a new vault release… on vinyl. 
    mace1229 said:

Except I got a new vault vinyl this year and the year before and the year before.
    Yes. New vinyl, but not a new vault.
    I’m just saying it’s not out of nowhere when someone asks if the vault if over. It’s been over 2 years since the last new complete vault. I’m not saying I agree, but I do understand where the question is coming from. Maybe they only want to deal with only 1 vinyl production at a time and vault 11 is being pressed soon. No one knows. But they obviously do release other random vinyl in the meantime, like a 3rd version of Yield, so I don’t see why that would be the reason. But who knows. No one here,
    that’s for sure.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I’m just saying it’s not out of nowhere when someone asks if the vault if over. It’s been over 2 years since the last new complete vault. I’m not saying I agree, but I do understand where the question is coming from. Maybe they only want to deal with only 1 vinyl production at a time and vault 11 is being pressed soon. No one knows. But they obviously do release other random vinyl in the meantime, like a 3rd version of Yield, so I don’t see why that would be the reason. But who knows. No one here,
    that’s for sure.
    There’s a years long thread about please release vaults 1 and 2….they FINALLY actually do it…and we complain because nothing “new” has been announced. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,928
    edited March 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

that’s for sure.
    There’s a years long thread about please release vaults 1 and 2….they FINALLY actually do it…and we complain because nothing “new” has been announced. 
    This is true. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    js87130 said:
    So where did all of this talk start about cancelling the vault series?  The last Vault (Vic Theater) was announced in the June '22 Newsletter.  
    That is what I was thinking.  I thought for sure I got a Vault in the mail in the last few months.  People have too much time on their hands to be worried about this stuff.

I got the last Vault because I was at the show, but I don't really understand the need to get more live Pearl Jam shows released.  We have more than enough.  Save the cash for something else.
    edited March 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

that’s for sure.
    Who’s complaining? I was just answering the question as to why some people might think the vaults are done at 10.
    I Don't think it’s done, and certainly wasn’t complaining about it. Was just answering a question….
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 456
    edited March 2023
    axeljohan said:
    Well, they were always exclusive to 10c-members, weren't they (if you don't care about the loophole which is the UK store)?. Sometimes they opened the sale to non-members later, but I don't think this was regular.

And 10c clearly made an effort to list all the positive sides of a membership when they rearragend the membership-levels at the end of 22. If there were clear plans to release future vaults through 10c, I (!) would make sure to highlight that in my announcement about the new memberships, so people see that they have this benefit from their membership.

But this would not be the first that I would do things differently as the 10c regarding communications, so it's perfectly possible that they will continue to release vaults the same way of they did the last years.

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    They eliminated the annual single because getting one out per year had proven too difficult in recent years. Why would they list Vaults as a specific member benefit and potentially create the same problem? There may or not be Vault releases in the future, but the revised member benefits are not an indication one way or the other. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    They eliminated the annual single because getting one out per year had proven too difficult in recent years. Why would they list Vaults as a specific member benefit and potentially create the same problem? There may or not be Vault releases in the future, but the revised member benefits are not an indication one way or the other. 
    As I said: if there were clear plans to continue the vaults, I would communicate it this way. But again, 10c's way of communication might differ from mine.
    Did they ever mention access to vault releases as a benefit of being in the club before the 2022 update? Because from the new description, I would take the “Exclusive Merchandise” part of the benefits where it says “vinyl” to include the vault. 

But yes, the Ten Club will do something until they don’t. So I’m not sweating this until we hit the summer. 
    Did they ever mention access to vault releases as a benefit of being in the club before the 2022 update? Because from the new description, I would take the “Exclusive Merchandise” part of the benefits where it says “vinyl” to include the vault. 

But yes, the Ten Club will do something until they don’t. So I’m not sweating this until we hit the summer. 
    Could we take this as the club's motto?
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Surely they will continue with the Vaults if they remain popular and profitable? Different to the 10c singles as they were “free” items. 
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    I like to think that less merch in the shop = more tour merch being created.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited March 2023
    drfox said:
    Different to the 10c singles as they were “free” items. 
    I mean we paid for them. Tenclub just decided they could remove them, not replace them with anything else for a higher profit margin, but not loose members. Which i guess was true. We were a tad taken for the fools that we as a collective are.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"