*** Pearl Jam New York, NY Fanviews 9/11/22 ***

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:
    My 7th Garden show. Good times but the weakest. Too many hits, seen it all before. Not enough of Gigaton; long gone are the days of challenging the crowd. 

The band is also not as tight as they were a decade ago. I just felt Stone and/or Matt not as into it, and there were plenty of mistakes and miscues. The amazing crowd were ahead of them and helping out. 

Has Stone been masked all tour? Haven't been following. Not sure I saw him on a microphone as a result. 

Where I was (223), Mike seemed low in the mix the first hour, but it may have just been everything a half step down. Sludgy stuff. 

Finally, following up the first responders speech with RVM was just a dumb choice. It used to be talking to the crowd would set the tone for the music. I guess as a primarily greatest hits band now this is to be expected. 

This show BLEW AWAY 2008 and was better than night 2 2016. Nothing will ever match or beat 98 and 2010 
    I'm curious, I only got to one of the shows between '98 and '10 - does one of those MSG shows even outshine the other, even if they're unquestionably the top 2 for you?
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    NK10452 said:
    Feel like most of you have said what I would have said.  The start was straight fire -- love it when they open with Release, I thought Garden sounded great, I always love Present Tense live, and Porch right off the jump was crazy.  Yes, I guess the shows are "shorter" now, but c'mon -- they're still playing 25 songs and going all out for 2+ hours.  Crowd energy was insane and you can tell the band feeds off it.  As always, it was a great time and looking forward to Philly in a couple of days.  I don't get Stone in the mask -- does he have Covid?  What gives?  Also, ditch Purple Rain -- silly.
    He’s been wearing the mask for the last three shows at least. Seems a reasonable precaution if that’s what he wants to do. 
    Agreed. Even if you're distanced you're still indoors and I think it's worth the precaution. I still mask up indoors and wish people would just let me be without asking me why. 
    I wore my KN95 throughout the entire show last night.  No one said anything but I got a few looks lol.  I was getting a little fatigued by the time the encore started.  
    Wearing a mask in an indoor setting with that many people in close proximity is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  It's especially prudent if you're onstage with hundreds of people singing along at the top of their lungs and aspirating in your general direction for more than two hours, as in Stone's case.  We can never know for sure but, given the bubble the band was maintaining, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Matt and Jeff's COVID cases in the spring were picked up from the audience.  The prudence is not just about the risk of the illness to him, which would likely be mild; it's about the fact that a positive test would put the upcoming shows in jeopardy, and that would hurt everyone.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:
    My 7th Garden show. Good times but the weakest. Too many hits, seen it all before. Not enough of Gigaton; long gone are the days of challenging the crowd. 

The band is also not as tight as they were a decade ago. I just felt Stone and/or Matt not as into it, and there were plenty of mistakes and miscues. The amazing crowd were ahead of them and helping out. 

Has Stone been masked all tour? Haven't been following. Not sure I saw him on a microphone as a result. 

Where I was (223), Mike seemed low in the mix the first hour, but it may have just been everything a half step down. Sludgy stuff. 

Finally, following up the first responders speech with RVM was just a dumb choice. It used to be talking to the crowd would set the tone for the music. I guess as a primarily greatest hits band now this is to be expected. 

This show BLEW AWAY 2008 and was better than night 2 2016. Nothing will ever match or beat 98 and 2010 
    I'm curious, I only got to one of the shows between '98 and '10 - does one of those MSG shows even outshine the other, even if they're unquestionably the top 2 for you?
    5/21/10 is tops for me. And msg 2016 night 1 is sorely underrated. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

5/21/10 is first place out of 30 shows for me 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Ruined concerts for me for a little bit 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Curious how you rate some of the Philly highlights (which I’m assuming you drive down to) like the Ten show, Halloween closing down the spectrum, and spectrum #3 right before it.  Those are all contenders but yeah 5/21/10 is right near the top of the list for me too
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    AlaG said:
    BF25394 said:
    Regarding the empty seats that some were surprised to see, it probably had something to do with the absurd prices being asked on the secondary market, which resulted in some tickets going un-resold.  Even after the show had already started, the cheapest ticket on StubHub was over $400 and there were seats still up for over $1,000.
    You think they’d lower the ask instead of not make a sale. Weird.

They gotta train the ticket buyers to pay high prices. If people catch on to pre-show sale drops, then many people will expect to wait til show time to buy a cheap ticket. The brokers and re-sellers can afford to eat the loss of unsold tickets as they make way more money on the tickets they do sell, than they lose on the tickets they don't sell.
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Curious how you rate some of the Philly highlights (which I’m assuming you drive down to) like the Ten show, Halloween closing down the spectrum, and spectrum #3 right before it.  Those are all contenders but yeah 5/21/10 is right near the top of the list for me too
    Philly 3 ‘09 is my all-time favorite I’ve been to. Slightly edges out MSG 2 ‘10 for me, but both were simply incredible. 
  • People wear  masks for many reasons  maybe a family  member  is vulnerable  a child  or partner.  Do whats best for you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    BF25394 said:
    NK10452 said:
    Feel like most of you have said what I would have said.  The start was straight fire -- love it when they open with Release, I thought Garden sounded great, I always love Present Tense live, and Porch right off the jump was crazy.  Yes, I guess the shows are "shorter" now, but c'mon -- they're still playing 25 songs and going all out for 2+ hours.  Crowd energy was insane and you can tell the band feeds off it.  As always, it was a great time and looking forward to Philly in a couple of days.  I don't get Stone in the mask -- does he have Covid?  What gives?  Also, ditch Purple Rain -- silly.
    He’s been wearing the mask for the last three shows at least. Seems a reasonable precaution if that’s what he wants to do. 
    Agreed. Even if you're distanced you're still indoors and I think it's worth the precaution. I still mask up indoors and wish people would just let me be without asking me why. 
    I wore my KN95 throughout the entire show last night.  No one said anything but I got a few looks lol.  I was getting a little fatigued by the time the encore started.  
    Wearing a mask in an indoor setting with that many people in close proximity is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  It's especially prudent if you're onstage with hundreds of people singing along at the top of their lungs and aspirating in your general direction for more than two hours, as in Stone's case.  We can never know for sure but, given the bubble the band was maintaining, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Matt and Jeff's COVID cases in the spring were picked up from the audience.  The prudence is not just about the risk of the illness to him, which would likely be mild; it's about the fact that a positive test would put the upcoming shows in jeopardy, and that would hurt everyone.

He wasn’t wearing one in Ottawa.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Spectrum night 3 was an amazing set list and amazing show. Best PJ show I’ve seen was Seattle night 2, 2018; that show left me completely wiped out the next day.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,588
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

I love night 1 in 08, that show was awesome. 2016 Night 1 had some amazing variety but a lot of covers…
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    Last night was incredible, but I still have my money on 5-21-2010.

amazing show and best MSG crowd I’ve ever experienced.
    Some great videos from last night on YouTube. Reliving some of the best moments right now. What a night. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Spectrum 3 second place 
    ten show close to the top
    spectrum 4 probably 10-12

all amazing!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    merlin401 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Karts said:

Spectrum 3 second place 
    ten show close to the top
    spectrum 4 probably 10-12

all amazing!
    Yea that Philly 10 show was almost too good. I’ll never forget the opening notes  of Alive that night. 
  • Anyone know what the pink dots mean beside the first few songs on the set list published on Instagram? E.g. dots are next to Release, Garden, Dissident, whoever said and even flow
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    mclynick said:
    Anyone know what the pink dots mean beside the first few songs on the set list published on Instagram? E.g. dots are next to Release, Garden, Dissident, whoever said and even flow
    Those dots are red, my friend.

It means they’re playing them tuned a half-step down.
  • AlaG said:
    mclynick said:
    Anyone know what the pink dots mean beside the first few songs on the set list published on Instagram? E.g. dots are next to Release, Garden, Dissident, whoever said and even flow
    Those dots are red, my friend.

It means they’re playing them tuned a half-step down.
    Lol, indeed.  Thanks 
  • Show was amazing. Lovely setlist. Release was everything. I haven't been to NY on 9/11 for 21 years. It was worth the anxiety.
  • I don’t post here often, this was my 32nd show and  first at MSG. Philly born and Baltimore raised, the crowd and sound last night might have made this number 1 for me. I have always loved the Philly crowds, 2005 is the best crowd I had experienced until last night. Hard to pick after that between Philly ‘09 night 3 and the 2016 Ten show. Thank you Pearl Jam and thank you New York! Incredible night, onto Camden.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mclynick said:
    thank you. I was wondering the same thing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    I can't put into words what this night meant to me. It was legit my birthday and this was just beyond special. I love this band and crew and msg crew and just literally love everyone
    happy birthday, great gift for your birthday! It was a terrific show, the second outstanding show I've seen on this date as I also saw the Toronto one in 2011.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Curious, how many people here went to night 1 msg 03. 

That was the night the place shook for the first time. 

Im not saying its better than 2010, but that show was crazy too. 

Phlly 05, night 3 spectrum were truly special. 

Last night was like that.  
  • PJBanker said:
    I don’t post here often, this was my 32nd show and  first at MSG. Philly born and Baltimore raised, the crowd and sound last night might have made this number 1 for me. I have always loved the Philly crowds, 2005 is the best crowd I had experienced until last night. Hard to pick after that between Philly ‘09 night 3 and the 2016 Ten show. Thank you Pearl Jam and thank you New York! Incredible night, onto Camden.
    I think we have similar experiences.  Of ones I've been to 2016 Ten show number 1 for me.  Philly '09 night 3 and Philly '05 usually bounce back and forth between 2 and 3 depending on what I'm in the mood for.  Philly '09 night 4 and MSG '03 night 1 probably 4 and 5.
    For me last night in that 2-4 range on first impression.  Probably bumps the MSG '03 out of my top 5.  Will be interesting to see if the bootlegs capture the same energy on re-listen.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • kosteva2 said:
    PJBanker said:
    I don’t post here often, this was my 32nd show and  first at MSG. Philly born and Baltimore raised, the crowd and sound last night might have made this number 1 for me. I have always loved the Philly crowds, 2005 is the best crowd I had experienced until last night. Hard to pick after that between Philly ‘09 night 3 and the 2016 Ten show. Thank you Pearl Jam and thank you New York! Incredible night, onto Camden.
    I think we have similar experiences.  Of ones I've been to 2016 Ten show number 1 for me.  Philly '09 night 3 and Philly '05 usually bounce back and forth between 2 and 3 depending on what I'm in the mood for.  Philly '09 night 4 and MSG '03 night 1 probably 4 and 5.
    For me last night in that 2-4 range on first impression.  Probably bumps the MSG '03 out of my top 5.  Will be interesting to see if the bootlegs capture the same energy on re-listen.

I don’t think the bootlegs will.  I listened to my videos I recorded and they sound like a concert.  In reality people were singing so loud I couldn’t hear Eddie at times or even myself!  Top 3 ever crowd / energy for me easily but I can’t rank the show itself in my top five just because those extra 8+ songs are a heavy tie breaker between anything that feels close to the longer shows
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Curious, how many people here went to night 1 msg 03. 

I was there last night and MSG 1 '03.  Missed the '98 and '10 MSGs that are in the conversation for best MSG show.

Was comparing/contrasting last night w/ MSG 1 '03, Philly Ten show '16, Philly '05, and Philly '09 nights 3 and 4 w/ my touring buddy who was at all of these too.  Last night could tell pretty early was going to be special from the energy in the building.  

That MSG '03 show was in my personal top 5 and one of my most played bootlegs.  Incredible energy w/ nearly entire building Ten Club.  Ben Harper, Gimme Some Truth, Wishlist "Why Can't I Touch It," Crown, Breath, Low Light, Sonic Reducer.  They made a DVD out of it.

Philly Ten '16 show my favorite and hard to top.  Going beyond the Ten songs so many other good ones that you're like "oh shit, I forgot this was on here too":  Bee Girl, Comfortably Numb, All or None, RVM, Leash, Throw Your Hatred Down, Sonic Reducer, Who You Are, Star Spangled Banner.

Philly '05 great "rarity" show.  Good flow.  No album to promote so play whatever:  Wash, Sad, Alone, Man Trilogy, Bleed For Me, Harvest Moon, Crown, Hard to Imagine, Little Sister, Sonic Reducer

Philly '09 Spectrum 3 just really good start to finish listenable show w/ great energy, no duds.  Just really great run of songs mid 1st set: In Hiding, Hold On, Tremor Christ, Deep, Unthought Known, Untitled/MFC.  Throw in Breath and a MamaSon trilogy later and its a really good start to finish listen.

Philly '09 Spectrum 4 longest show with great rarities but felt a little more disjointed than others.  Pilate, Sweet Lew, Bugs, Out of My Mind, Low Light, Satan's Bed, Crown

MSG '22 just really good start to finish.  No duds.  Energy to me seemed a little better than all of the others (except for the Ten '16 set when Alive starts when everyone in the building had a "holy shit they're actually going to play the album start to finish that turned all of us on to this band ~25 years ago" moment).  A little apples-to-oranges comparison with the setlist structure being different these days but the 1st set Release through RVM as good as any.  Sure a lot of sing-a-long songs that get played a lot but they totally worked in that building with that crowd last night.  Didn't need the special guest or bust out rarities to make it great.  Can maybe argue the band as a whole sounded better and played longer those earlier tours.  This show will definitely get a lot of repeat play for me.  Hoping the bootleg captures the energy.
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • The show was an amazing energetic evening. I agree fully with everyone on 5/21/10. That is easily the best PJ show I’ve seen since 2006 and while Sunday was great, there’s no comparison. The slow Lukin was positively insane. I also thought the first show in 2016 was better than last night, a combination of setlist and performance. 
  • kosteva2 said:
    Curious, how many people here went to night 1 msg 03. 

I was there last night and MSG 1 '03.  Missed the '98 and '10 MSGs that are in the conversation for best MSG show.

Was comparing/contrasting last night w/ MSG 1 '03, Philly Ten show '16, Philly '05, and Philly '09 nights 3 and 4 w/ my touring buddy who was at all of these too.  Last night could tell pretty early was going to be special from the energy in the building.  

That MSG '03 show was in my personal top 5 and one of my most played bootlegs.  Incredible energy w/ nearly entire building Ten Club.  Ben Harper, Gimme Some Truth, Wishlist "Why Can't I Touch It," Crown, Breath, Low Light, Sonic Reducer.  They made a DVD out of it.

Philly Ten '16 show my favorite and hard to top.  Going beyond the Ten songs so many other good ones that you're like "oh shit, I forgot this was on here too":  Bee Girl, Comfortably Numb, All or None, RVM, Leash, Throw Your Hatred Down, Sonic Reducer, Who You Are, Star Spangled Banner.

Philly '05 great "rarity" show.  Good flow.  No album to promote so play whatever:  Wash, Sad, Alone, Man Trilogy, Bleed For Me, Harvest Moon, Crown, Hard to Imagine, Little Sister, Sonic Reducer

Philly '09 Spectrum 3 just really good start to finish listenable show w/ great energy, no duds.  Just really great run of songs mid 1st set: In Hiding, Hold On, Tremor Christ, Deep, Unthought Known, Untitled/MFC.  Throw in Breath and a MamaSon trilogy later and its a really good start to finish listen.

Philly '09 Spectrum 4 longest show with great rarities but felt a little more disjointed than others.  Pilate, Sweet Lew, Bugs, Out of My Mind, Low Light, Satan's Bed, Crown

MSG '22 just really good start to finish.  No duds.  Energy to me seemed a little better than all of the others (except for the Ten '16 set when Alive starts when everyone in the building had a "holy shit they're actually going to play the album start to finish that turned all of us on to this band ~25 years ago" moment).  A little apples-to-oranges comparison with the setlist structure being different these days but the 1st set Release through RVM as good as any.  Sure a lot of sing-a-long songs that get played a lot but they totally worked in that building with that crowd last night.  Didn't need the special guest or bust out rarities to make it great.  Can maybe argue the band as a whole sounded better and played longer those earlier tours.  This show will definitely get a lot of repeat play for me.  Hoping the bootleg captures the energy.
    Pretty much agree with everything you said. In hiding at spectrum 3 may be the best version of that song. 

Philly 05 may be the best setlist ever. 

For some reason the 10 show for me isnt that high. Prob not in my top 10 shows 

Is slow lukin overrated?  Do people like it bc its rare? You know whats better than slow lukin?

fast LUKIN.  
  • The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    BF25394 said:
    NK10452 said:

This right here. I was not able to get tix to any shows on this tour until Bourbon & Beyond was announced and that's my only show this tour. I'll be disappointed AF if that gets canceled for a reason like Covid. Two shows and 5 days to get through. Fingers crossed.
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23