*** Pearl Jam New York, NY Fanviews 9/11/22 ***

Comments

• tdawe said:
    Far be it from me to tell anyone else how to do Pearl Jam, but if you were in the building last night and your takeaway was to nitpick the setlist and complain about too many “hits”, we just live on different planets. 

Agreed. It was my 4th MSG show and that's the best the crowd has been. I think going light on the GT material was a great move. Hoping for something similar in Camden even if we don't feel the ground shake.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    Complaining about hits is complaining about a band playing its songs. Makes no sense. We all have songs we are chasing but don't let that prevent you from enjoying the show you did get to see. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • I think I would be paranoid that something was going to collapse if the building was bouncing.
    You would have dug the shit out of it.

In one of the boots, 2000 MSG I believe, after DTE Ed got back on the mic and said, I'll paraphrase "We got a little worried because the place was moving and we want it to be safe.  The techs told us they had only felt it move before for Iron Maiden, Grateful Dead, and Van Halen.  So we are in good company."
  • merlin401 said:
    Very good energy this gig, which might be expected from a hits heavy set list.  I have the most fun at shows like this but the rare ones feel more special and leave more indelible memories.  So really a win-win.  Anyway this was a big hits heavy set, and I think the band just likes the energy of NY and what they can get out of them. 

Sonic reducer was great (wish Ed skipped the long speech about 9/11 and unity in these decisive times afterwards or of course just moved it because SR into RVM uninterrupted would have been insane from a crowd energy perspective)

was getting worried about curfew but laughed when Ed said they added an extra Canada show to pay for the MSG fine.  Serious question:  if it’s going to cost you a quarter million dollars, why not just come on stage at 8:40 and play the exact same length?  Doesn’t matter to me but just… I was always curious.

i thought the first six songs were a really strong start and despite the slower nature, the energy in the building was great!  There was a song where Ed I think either missed some lyrics or cut out but I couldn’t be sure because the singing was so loud (that always is a mark of a good show when that happens here and there!)

RITFW was indeed rocking.  Purple Rain is fine as a novelty:  I’m good with it being one and done.  

Really good show.  Of my MSG shows I’d say ultimately middle of the pack.  The one with Slow Lukin was the most insane to me.  But I had a really fun time singing and enjoying the energy.  And I also love Chloe/ crown of thorns!
    Last night was definitely up there, but I agree, 5/21/2010 was the most epic MSG for me...that Lukin slowdown was so amazing...and BM singalong was the best I've ever heard....it's on YouTube and gives me the chills everytime...and the rarities of Sweet Lew and Black Red Yellow
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    I think I would be paranoid that something was going to collapse if the building was bouncing.

In one of the boots, 2000 MSG I believe, after DTE Ed got back on the mic and said, I'll paraphrase "We got a little worried because the place was moving and we want it to be safe.  The techs told us they had only felt it move before for Iron Maiden, Grateful Dead, and Van Halen.  So we are in good company."
    The garden bounce is the best!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • My first show ever at the Garden.. absolutely fucking amazing. The energy was unreal!! 
    Band, fans, venue, all of it just blew me away. My ears are still ringing!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,702
    edited September 2022
    Wanted a great show, Whoever Said and River Cross- got close.  River was "crossed" from SHN as well.  After all these years I need to learn to stop chasing songs and appreciate whatever I get haha!  Btw I didn't think of this as a Greatest Hits setlist and this was my 30th show.  Amazing night but I'll stick to just a few notes:

Best Garden I ever heard
    Porch lit the place on fire and was so unexpected that early on
    DOTC sounded fantastic to me.  It was slopping last year at SHN (to be expected- debut song and first show in 3 years)
    Chloe/Crown is always epic!
    Purple Rain will be stuck in my head for days
    So much energy from the crowd 

I've now been to half the MSG shows.  5/21/10 was my favorite but all the others have been great too.  

Wish I could make Camden.  I'm getting Hartford 2008 vibes (sleeper show).  

And finally, I cannot believe this is the first time I'm seeing them play a venue in over 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by SVRDhand13 on
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • I think I would be paranoid that something was going to collapse if the building was bouncing.

It was the 7/8/03 show I think (the one that they did DVD of).  Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden, and Bruce Springsteen.

Didn't feel as much bounce in section 105 last night but could see the spotlights bobbing up and down on a few songs.  
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22
  • kosteva2 said:
    I think I would be paranoid that something was going to collapse if the building was bouncing.

It was the 7/8/03 show I think (the one that they did DVD of).  Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden, and Bruce Springsteen.

Didn't feel as much bounce in section 105 last night but could see the spotlights bobbing up and down on a few songs.  
    Yes that is it!  I wasn't sure if they said Bruce or Van Halen, lol.

I was in 216 and you definitely felt it!
  • It might take me a few days to recover from this show. We were sitting second row in the pit and the place was rocking all night! My buddy and I were in the second row right in front of Ed and the two guys in front of us on the rail gave us a nod to take in a song from the front row during Better Man and Chloe/Crown. That made what was already an incredible evening even more special and really demonstrated the spirit of what this band is about...being kind to each other and sharing in a sense of community/love for this band. It made my night (and probably my year) and I'll cherish those memories of rocking out in the front row to my favorite band in the best arena in the world for the rest of my life. So to John and the other kind fellow whose name I didn't catch (but whose red mohawk I definitely dug), we are forever grateful!
  • I was at the bounce show (7/8/03) and was on the floor and felt that -- crazy stuff...I know the years have made the memory come and go a bit (I'm 51 now) but last night's energy in the building for my money surpassed 7/8/03 and any of the other MSG shows that I've attended (seven since 1998 prior to last night). The passion, the energy...just an incredible show and I am so thankful that we still have this band in our lives. Can't wait for Camden on Wednesday, but last night was just special.
  • 6th MSG show and the best I can recall, just a little better than 5/21/2010. As everyone has mentioned, the energy was incredible. Both band and crowd. This just seemed like the perfect storm - 2+ year wait from Covid, 9/11 observance, and dare I say, a possible retirement from the road or at least from heavy touring (just something I’ve been personally sensing). 

Sat in section 1, straight view of the stage just off the floor.

Sound was phenomenal.  The guy next to me agreed at least for the first bunch of songs that they sounded as close to the studio recordings as we’ve ever heard. Sure maybe tuned down a bit, but the pace of the music and vocals were perfect. I’d occasionally get turned off by them speeding up some songs live, but everything sounded true to the original. 

Setlist was near perfect. Sure no real deep cuts or rarities, but they hit almost all the big songs we first came to love this band for, so I was really happy with that. And the song selection allowed the ENTIRE arena to sing and clap along which only added to the tremendous energy.  And we got Chloe/Crown, Come Back and Sonic Reducer, so all good with me.

And of course the energy and vibe was what really made this show stand out and put it over the top for me. McCready is a house of fire. For someone to play that well while moving that much, just unreal. Ed was in great spirits, Matt Cameron killed it.  Fantastic effort from the entire band. 

I will scoop up this bootleg as soon as it’s available and remember this show for a very long time. 

• URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Had an absolute blast last night.

Some pics from the pit:

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    Sooooooo….
    what happened in GA during porch? 

Spill the beans!!
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Sooooooo….

Spill the beans!!
    I definitely saw punches thrown.
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Sooooooo….

Spill the beans!!
    It was probably about who Eddie was looking  at. 
  • Actually just went back and watched what I filmed and all I see is a guy grabbing what looks like a face mask?
  • Probably someone that was staring at Jill a bit too much 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 8,956
    ^ Ed said 2 big guys trying to occupy similar space or something

it was about 5 heads in front of me, saw security swoop in
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,484
    JimmyV said:
    Complaining about hits is complaining about a band playing its songs. Makes no sense. We all have songs we are chasing but don't let that prevent you from enjoying the show you did get to see. 
    Agree 100% - so tired of the complainers. I can understand people saying that wasn't their favorite show, or even favorite MSG show but to be in that building last night and not enjoy it because the band didn't play a few songs you wanted to hear. 

This of course excludes Sweet Lew of which ive seen every performance and will certainly complain about if i ever hear again. 
  • It might take me a few days to recover from this show. We were sitting second row in the pit and the place was rocking all night! My buddy and I were in the second row right in front of Ed and the two guys in front of us on the rail gave us a nod to take in a song from the front row during Better Man and Chloe/Crown. That made what was already an incredible evening even more special and really demonstrated the spirit of what this band is about...being kind to each other and sharing in a sense of community/love for this band. It made my night (and probably my year) and I'll cherish those memories of rocking out in the front row to my favorite band in the best arena in the world for the rest of my life. So to John and the other kind fellow whose name I didn't catch (but whose red mohawk I definitely dug), we are forever grateful!
    We were right behind you! I was the one in the University of Washington shirt that Eddie noticed and tiny pushed me closer during that song… I can’t recall the song now! Lol! I was happy for you guys to be at the rail during Chloe! What a show! 

• *you* not tiny! 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    Amazing show last night and the perfect way for us to finish our run this year. That maybe my favourite version of Release that I ever heard and can’t wait to hear it on the boot. Same with Present Tense. Porch with the slow down for the scuffle in the crowd did not hurt the song at all and actually felt when they came back to speed everyone was going more crazy than before the fight happened. They kept the energy going right up to Evenflow then the next 3 took the crowd out a bit but Betterman brought them right back. The ending of that song was fucking loud! The rest of the first set was all fire including the highlight of the show for us Chloe/Crown. So happy to hear that live. We have listened to the Toronto 2011 version 100’s of times for sure and have been wanting to hear it for a long time. 

Sonic Reducer is one of their best covers imo. It’s not too long and the crowd was jacked up for the whole thing. Rearviewmirror is making a rightful comeback on the setlist too. I am not sure why it has been played less but the last two shows it blew my mind both times. 

I enjoyed the encore as well but without nitpicking too much here, and seeing 7 shows this year plays apart in this, I just feel it’s still a bit too predictable. One more not normally played song in there like they did in Hamilton changes things a lot imo. 

This show was was fucking awesome. Amazing crowd and amazing show and fun city!

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 8,956

•  
  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 69
    Agreed on Hartford 2013, that arena like a mini-msg, but last night topped it!!
    A lifer.
  • PJ shows usually have a very defined beginning, middle, and end...that show was like a freight train that just kept on picking up speed from the first note to the SSB.  My 5th MSG, it definitely comes very very close to 5/21/10.  The crowd was fantastic, I could barely hear Eddie through Better Man and RVM.  Obviously this is the best band in the world, but no one comes close to them when matching their fans' energy.  
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 198
    edited September 2022
    Amazing show and experience.  The unexpected aspect of the setlist (Porch early as one example), mixed in with a flawless performance from the band and technicians, and honestly the best and most grateful crowd I have seen at a PJ show in a long time - made up for what some would consider "an abbreviated setlist" from what we had become accustomed to.  22/23 songs killed it last night, versus some of the 30-33 song setlist of years past, for me anyway.  The expectations were high and the band flat out delivered and fed of the crowds' energy.
    Post edited by BC62528 on
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 782
    PJNB said:
    Amazing show last night and the perfect way for us to finish our run this year. That maybe my favourite version of Release that I ever heard and can’t wait to hear it on the boot. Same with Present Tense. Porch with the slow down for the scuffle in the crowd did not hurt the song at all and actually felt when they came back to speed everyone was going more crazy than before the fight happened. They kept the energy going right up to Evenflow then the next 3 took the crowd out a bit but Betterman brought them right back. The ending of that song was fucking loud! The rest of the first set was all fire including the highlight of the show for us Chloe/Crown. So happy to hear that live. We have listened to the Toronto 2011 version 100’s of times for sure and have been wanting to hear it for a long time. 

Sonic Reducer is one of their best covers imo. It’s not too long and the crowd was jacked up for the whole thing. Rearviewmirror is making a rightful comeback on the setlist too. I am not sure why it has been played less but the last two shows it blew my mind both times. 

I enjoyed the encore as well but without nitpicking too much here, and seeing 7 shows this year plays apart in this, I just feel it’s still a bit too predictable. One more not normally played song in there like they did in Hamilton changes things a lot imo. 

This show was was fucking awesome. Amazing crowd and amazing show and fun city!

Awesome!
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Feel like most of you have said what I would have said.  The start was straight fire -- love it when they open with Release, I thought Garden sounded great, I always love Present Tense live, and Porch right off the jump was crazy.  Yes, I guess the shows are "shorter" now, but c'mon -- they're still playing 25 songs and going all out for 2+ hours.  Crowd energy was insane and you can tell the band feeds off it.  As always, it was a great time and looking forward to Philly in a couple of days.  I don't get Stone in the mask -- does he have Covid?  What gives?  Also, ditch Purple Rain -- silly.
    I'm still alive