Collectors, do you ever ask yourself........

PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
edited August 2022 in The Porch
.......what the hell am I going to do with all of this Pearl Jam stuff I've collected? Do you think of it as an investment? Heirloom? Social currency in the PJ kingdom of collectors? 
Post edited by PJammin on

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    All the time! I've actually started thinning out my collection a bit and not buying as much.  Taking up too much room in my man cave. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    Whenever I buy an expensive record and tell my sister how much it has gone up in value. She says it doesn’t matter because I will never sell them anyways. This is coming from a person with a bag of now worthless Beanie Babies. So she knows what she is talking about :lol:
  • PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
    GlowGirl said:
    Whenever I buy an expensive record and tell my sister how much it has gone up in value. She says it doesn’t matter because I will never sell them anyways. This is coming from a person with a bag of now worthless Beanie Babies. So she knows what she is talking about :lol:
    Hahaha.....yes! Don't even get me started on the vinyl collection. I tell myself the same thing every single time a LP mailer shows up at the house. 
    JojoRice said:
    All the time! I've actually started thinning out my collection a bit and not buying as much.  Taking up too much room in my man cave. 
    Same here. I keep the sentimental stuff (posters from shows ive attended, etc.) but the rest of the stuff is slowly being thinned out. 
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    PJammin said:
    JojoRice said:
    Same here. I keep the sentimental stuff (posters from shows ive attended, etc.) but the rest of the stuff is slowly being thinned out. 
    Yup. Taking this approach now. Outside of a cool item I'll display (License Plate) or things I actually use/wear (keychains), I really only collect the posters of shows I attend.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,629
    Shirts get worn. Albums get played. The occasional poster gets hung. All the other stuff are just sentimental tchotchkes. It lives in a Rubbermaid bin. Sometimes I cull it, but mainly it’s like a scrap book. no different than any picture or video I took to remember something. Maybe I’ll sell stuff someday, but If I die with it on a shelf, oh well, I enjoyed it and it made me happy to revisit. 
    As a collector, of many random things, there will always be the thrill of the hunt in adding an item to a collection. I wonder if it's a life stage that gives me this perspective of "what the hell am I going to do with all of this". I'm in my mid 40's, married, kids....the whole deal. My perspective/priorities have shifted in the 28 years I've been seeing the band live and collecting their wares. I NEVER would have imagined that trading live show cassettes and bootleg VHS tapes of shows in the infancy of the internet age would've evolved into displaying zombie funko pops and a Gigaton viewfinder. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    @pdalowsky has shown us the way.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    Shirts get worn. Albums get played. The occasional poster gets hung. All the other stuff are just sentimental tchotchkes. It lives in a Rubbermaid bin. Sometimes I cull it, but mainly it’s like a scrap book. no different than any picture or video I took to remember something. Maybe I’ll sell stuff someday, but If I die with it on a shelf, oh well, I enjoyed it and it made me happy to revisit. 
    YES....the Rubbermaid bin is so spot on. I pull them down every now and again and sift through them looking at all the things I never knew I "needed". 
  • I don't know why I buy these things.  I keep telling myself one day I will sell them.  It started with the Benaroya vinyl going back 20 years now.  When you include sports memorabilia, it goes back even further.  I have yet to sell anything.  I think I have a problem. 
    I don't know why I buy these things.  I keep telling myself one day I will sell them.  It started with the Benaroya vinyl going back 20 years now.  When you include sports memorabilia, it goes back even further.  I have yet to sell anything.  I think I have a problem. 
    Well the good news is that the Benaroya vinyl has turned out to be a wise purchase if you do ever decide to sell it. That's one of a couple items in my collection I point to when I'm questioned about my "problem". The ROI on that item still baffles me but I'm glad I've got one on the shelf.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Once you feel like you have finally acquired everything you need, the urge to sell it becomes strong

the act of collecting is often the draw, not all the stuff you then have 
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,111
    sold off almost everything that's not on my walls including my famous (infamous) EV zippo collection. only thing i wont stop collecting are PJ guitar picks because i can't and they are easy to hide from the Mrs when they arrive as opposed to poster tubes lol...
    I cherish the friendships, experiences and memories more than stuff now and it feels amazing

sold off almost everything that's not on my walls including my famous (infamous) EV zippo collection. only thing i wont stop collecting are PJ guitar picks because i can't and they are easy to hide from the Mrs when they arrive as opposed to poster tubes lol...
    I cherish the friendships, experiences and memories more than stuff now and it feels amazing

That's awesome! Yeah, those poster tubes are a tough one to sneak in the door. Been there before......ha!
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,449
    If anything will get me to sell my posters, it would just be the space needed for tubes, portfolios, framing, etc. I love flipping through pages of posters, but maybe not forever. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    I loved  every trade  and swap. I loved meeting  people you  trade with. I love the  stuff. But i sold half years ago out of necessity.  I will never  let my picks and some posters  i have  framed  go.
    I still want everything  but buy very little. The odd bit to wear. 
    I m both happy i sold stuff  yet sad i sold stuff. It true its like a scrapbook of time and people met
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I loved  every trade  and swap. I loved meeting  people you  trade with. I love the  stuff. But i sold half years ago out of necessity.  I will never  let my picks and some posters  i have  framed  go.
    I still want everything  but buy very little. The odd bit to wear. 
    I m both happy i sold stuff  yet sad i sold stuff. It true its like a scrapbook of time and people met
    Ive never thought of it with the scrapbook mindset but you're the second person to mention it that way and I like that  perspective on it all. 
  • I think of it as art. I used to think about appreciation but less so now. I won't lie, I don't mind seeing the market value of this stuff going up since the cash could come in handy in a financial emergency (fingers crossed that never happens). But, best case, my kids can sell it when I die -- maybe hold onto a couple things they like. 
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
    I think of it as art. I used to think about appreciation but less so now. I won't lie, I don't mind seeing the market value of this stuff going up since the cash could come in handy in a financial emergency (fingers crossed that never happens). But, best case, my kids can sell it when I die -- maybe hold onto a couple things they like. 
    I stopped thinking about specific value when understanding value is relative to a very small number of peoples willingness to pay. 

Sure you can do a fire sale, but I have no faith I could sell everything at “average” prices without it taking a few years 
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    edited August 2022
    I think of it as art. I used to think about appreciation but less so now. I won't lie, I don't mind seeing the market value of this stuff going up since the cash could come in handy in a financial emergency (fingers crossed that never happens). But, best case, my kids can sell it when I die -- maybe hold onto a couple things they like. 
    Is there going to be a market for this stuff though when Pearl Jam fans get to the age where they start going? Said differently, is a younger generation going to want to buy posters, t shirts, and other trinkets from shows they didn't attend for a band that is no longer playing? I love this band and they certainly belong in the pantheon of great rock acts but I'm not naïve enough to think they've got the reach of a band like the Beatles where there's going to be huge demand for their merchandise regardless of whether the original bandmembers or fans are still alive. I can see a lot of this stuff becoming effectively worthless...

Like you, I do hope my kids hold onto a couple of my favorite posters to remind them of me.
  • Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited August 2022
    I stopped thinking about specific value when understanding value is relative to a very small number of peoples willingness to pay. 

Sure you can do a fire sale, but I have no faith I could sell everything at “average” prices without it taking a few years 
    True but overall, in aggregate I can get more (some cases a lot more) for most of my stuff than I paid for them if push comes to shove. Like I said though, hoping that never comes to be. 

One thing I would say I've thought since I realize all my stuff will mostly be annoying junk to my kids is to dump all of my common man collectibles and with the proceeds buy one or two sketches by a really famous artist. I feel like - if asset building is your goal - that would be a much easier way to build wealth for your family. Having said that, I like my shit too much to go that route. 
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    been waffling for some time about getting rid of most of it. even the vinyl and posters. I have no room to display the posters anyway. (calm down folks, I don't have anything of any significant value lol)

why oh why did I buy those freaking funkos? who knows. FOMO maybe. 

I'd love a band signed poster of a show I've been to, but I doubt that will ever happen. @Gern Blansten
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

I also have the romantic thought that one day my kids (they're 11 now -triplets) will one day have an interest in all of this stuff. At this point they couldn't care less about it all. They find the posters amusing and wear some of the old shirts to sleep in but that's about the extent of their interest at this point. I used to buy stuff just to have to work trades. Vinyl is my primary passion in collecting. Sure, there is definitely some FOMO when it comes to collecting. The buzz/scarcity definitely drives interest too. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Man, I would love to get rid of all of it, but I can't imagine the work that would entail. Even considering the money I would get, I don't think it would be worth the time and energy. I'll let someone else handle it when I die.

Or maybe my kids or one of their friends will like this band someday. I have met a few people in town who seem like big fans. I've considered asking them if they want to come by and see if they want anything.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Lots of wisdom here. I go back & forth...wanting to frame every poster I have some days...and wanting to sell it all but a few items the next. Ultimately I'll probably do what was mentioned above...leave it for someone else to just throw away after I die.I have no illusions that any of it will be worth much once the band calls it quits. But...the items, especially the posters, really do make me smile when I look at my walls and at my portfolio.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited August 2022
    Is there going to be a market for this stuff though when Pearl Jam fans get to the age where they start going? Said differently, is a younger generation going to want to buy posters, t shirts, and other trinkets from shows they didn't attend for a band that is no longer playing? I love this band and they certainly belong in the pantheon of great rock acts but I'm not naïve enough to think they've got the reach of a band like the Beatles where there's going to be huge demand for their merchandise regardless of whether the original bandmembers or fans are still alive. I can see a lot of this stuff becoming effectively worthless...

Like you, I do hope my kids hold onto a couple of my favorite posters to remind them of me.
    Hard to say if their merch will have staying power across generations like the Beatles, the Dead, jazz even. I’d say it’s a coin toss really. They’ve managed to stay fairly relevant by rock standards but typically you see the value of collectibles for a specific band peak at the time when their primary fan base reaches peak earning years. So that time is basically now in the case of Pearl Jam. 
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on

Hard to say if their merch will have staying power across generations like the Beatles, the Dead, jazz even. I’d say it’s a coin toss really. They’ve managed to stay fairly relevant by rock standards but typically you see the value of collectibles for a specific band peak at the time when their primary fan base reaches peak earning years. So that time is basically now in the case of Pearl Jam. 
    Maybe in the current era prices will go up once they retire.  We may be in peak earning years, but that goes to concert prices 
    we will have so much money we won’t know what to do with it 
  • I think of it as art. I used to think about appreciation but less so now. I won't lie, I don't mind seeing the market value of this stuff going up since the cash could come in handy in a financial emergency (fingers crossed that never happens). But, best case, my kids can sell it when I die -- maybe hold onto a couple things they like. 

Maybe in the current era prices will go up once they retire.  We may be in peak earning years, but that goes to concert prices 
    we will have so much money we won’t know what to do with it 
    I like your optimism assuming in your scenario concerts don’t stop for a while! 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I collect vinyl and still have a few hundred CDs but I don't collect anything else and never really have done.

It's important to realize that collecting stuff is fine but you should be sensible about it. I see so many people being stupid about it on instagram. People posting new records they've purchased every other day. They've purchased nearly as many records in less than 5 years as I have collected over 25-30 years. I just want to tell them to calm the heck down. You don't need everything. Am I jealous of their ability to buy all these records, sure. But I also know you will enjoy it more in moderation.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    If by collecting you mean stuff sitting in cellophane, then I am nearly done for the 2nd time in my life with that and it will stick this time. 
    www.cluthelee.com