Collectors, do you ever ask yourself........

13»

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Zod said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I am down to just vinyls and posters of the shows I attend.  When I am dead, people can pick through it and keep sentimental things to remember me by.  Then they can sell the rest. But I have a spreadsheet with approx values on some of the things, so people know not to hock a Benny vinyl at a garage sale. 
    Yah, but the question is, will anything in our collections have that much value when we go?   If you pass young, sure because there's going to be a lot of die hard PJ fan's still out there, but if you go the distance, the demographic who could buy that stuff might not be in a position to do so.

I sort of feel like with PJ memorabilia, is that it'll probably keep going up for the next 20 to 30 years, but once you pass this hump where people have to downsize or they age out... the people out there looking for this stuff will vastly shrink.  I feel like maybe some friends/families might pick through my collection, but I'm not sure how much monetary value it will have if I go the distance.   Maybe someone will be able to live there dream and get a Benaroya at age 92, because people executors keep trying to ditch them :)
    The biggest risk I would think for the vinyl at least is the catalog being sold or an audiophile label gets the rights and we get some exceptional sounding pressings.

assuming the source material is good. As collectible as this stuff is, none of it sounds good enough for the price. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    I’m not overly concerned about my collection holding monetary value when I’m gone.  But I’m guessing it will be in good shape.  Memorabilia for bands that started 30+ years before Pearl Jam is still holding strong. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
    For me the vinyl has been the consistent category in my collection. I'm pretty sure I was the only guy buying vinyl at my local record store in the early/mid 90s'. I still have a couple copies of VS. sealed with clearance stickers on them. That sat in the vinyl bin at GBs records in Decatur, IL for months before I brought them home. There was definitely a period in my collecting where it provided some social currency in my circle of collector friends (i.e. buying something for the sake of saying I owned it). Luckily that phase of collecting didn't last long because that could be a slippery slope. I've showed my kids the stuff I have that's "valuable" but they show no real interest in the vinyl collection at this stage in their lives. The problem for me is that I have a hard time getting rid of stuff that I have any connection to. For example, what the hell am I ever going to do with a set of baseball cards from the 2013 wrigley show.....likely nothing...but I cant bring myself to sell it because I went to the show and I'm a Cubs fan. So it continues to live in the tote. 
  • good question. 
    I was a collector of all things PJ vinyl until I missed out on the Lightning Bolt sevens box set and I realised it was likely going to happen again and I figured if I can sit with that disappointment the FOMO of things to come won't be as strong. And also, they cost plenty of money and postage to Ireland is silly these days. I'll still get the vaults and so on but I'm ok if I miss the odd collectible now and then. 
    I don't have any records sealed, I play them all; including Benaroya. 
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    It will all be buried in my tomb when I die, with the No Code vinyl in my COLD DEAD HANDS.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
    good question. 
    I was a collector of all things PJ vinyl until I missed out on the Lightning Bolt sevens box set and I realised it was likely going to happen again and I figured if I can sit with that disappointment the FOMO of things to come won't be as strong. And also, they cost plenty of money and postage to Ireland is silly these days. I'll still get the vaults and so on but I'm ok if I miss the odd collectible now and then. 
    I don't have any records sealed, I play them all; including Benaroya. 
    Probably should've clarified my statement on the sealed vinyl. Like you, I'm an open it and play it collector (including the benny). I felt bad for these VS records sitting there in the clearance bin so I eventually bought them when they got super cheap - I think the sticker is either $4.99 or $9.99. I already owned a copy of it so these other copies have just sat for 30 years since I've never had the need to open them. 
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    edited August 2022
    I often look at it all and say what am I doing with all of this awesome stuff.... The records we listen to all of the time. Hopefully one of my kids will have a love for music and the records will become theirs...

Posters and other items... they'll just all go in a coffin with me (that's kinda very metal of me)  B)
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
    PJ5a1 said:
    I often look at it all and say what am I doing with all of this awesome stuff.... The records we listen to all of the time. Hopefully one of my kids will have a love for music and the records will become theirs...

Posters and other items... they'll just all go in a coffin with me (that's kinda very metal of me)  B)
    Never had the thought of bringing the stuff along with me for eternity. You all have given me ideas to ponder. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    King tut.
    PJ5a1 said:

If I was there I'd need a minute alone with your corpse.  
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Posts: 278
    My primary learning from being a parent is that our kids are absolutely their own individual self. I think we're pre-dispositioned to look for how are kids are like us that we forget to appreciate all the ways they aren't. I say all that to say; I've kept so much stuff sports-wise, music-wise, heirloom-wise for "my kids" and now my 14 year old son has very little interests similar to me. All my t-shirts, posters, sports cards, event programs, etc. he's not going to care much about. I've slowly started purging my sports cards and will eventually move on to other things. The important posters are used as wall art; professionally framed and all of that. I just collect for me at this point which has greatly reduced my intake of things. I imagine I'll just let him dispose of it as he sees fit later on.
  • PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
    Loujoe said:
    PJ5a1 said:

That's both metal and disturbing
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
    My primary learning from being a parent is that our kids are absolutely their own individual self. I think we're pre-dispositioned to look for how are kids are like us that we forget to appreciate all the ways they aren't. I say all that to say; I've kept so much stuff sports-wise, music-wise, heirloom-wise for "my kids" and now my 14 year old son has very little interests similar to me. All my t-shirts, posters, sports cards, event programs, etc. he's not going to care much about. I've slowly started purging my sports cards and will eventually move on to other things. The important posters are used as wall art; professionally framed and all of that. I just collect for me at this point which has greatly reduced my intake of things. I imagine I'll just let him dispose of it as he sees fit later on.
    Well said! My kids are 11 and I'm coming to this realization as well. They love my sports card collection and vintage Jordan shoes (luckily not the same size.....yet) but have little to no interest in the vinyl record collection, which actually started with my parents. I'm 46 now and in a completely different mindset and stage of my life from when I began following the band. I think the biggest shift in mindset is the emphasis on experience over things. This is what likely prompted me to ask myself the question of "what the hell am I going to do with all of this stuff" in the first place. 
    edited August 2022
    I use to think that 

the older I get I am turning back into my father. You may be an individual for a minute, then we regress despite our best efforts 
    PJ5a1 said:
    Loujoe said:
    PJ5a1 said:

That's both metal and disturbing
    I'm gonna add some of my stuff to the collection  :s
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited August 2022
    Putting it in my will that I want my ashes pressed into a record and will specify that I be filed amongst my Pearl Jam vinyl so we can remain together. :)

This thread has taken a morbid turn hasn't it.
    edited August 2022
    FR181798 said:
    Putting it in my will that I want my ashes pressed into a record and will specify that I be filed amongst my Pearl Jam vinyl so we can remain together. :)

That really should be a thing. You can send some of your ashes into space apparently so if that’s not weird, being a record shouldn’t be

plus I like buying limited editions anyway. Ash grey swirl would sell quick 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    FR181798 said:

That really should be a thing. You can send some of your ashes into space apparently so if that’s not weird, being a record shouldn’t be

plus I like buying limited editions anyway. Ash grey swirl would sell quick 
    It is... andvinyly.com

You could have a few beers, do your own version of Yellow Ledbetter and get that put on it as well. You can design the sleeve, labels etc.

Smart. I can understand this. Just tough with all the signed stuff I have. Really don't mean much to anyone but me. When I hit second hand shops and see signed lps I always grab them and imagine how important they were to someone long ago. All good.
  • i'm doing a lot "better" than before ... but today i bought a 2022 three red vinyl gabriel rsd release .... dammit...   ;)
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I'm in my mid 40's, so hopefully I've still got 30 plus years before I have to move out of it.    That's 30 years I get to enjoy spinning the records before I need to deal with it.  If I unexpectedly die before then, then I'll have gone before it was a problem, and someone else will have to deal with it :)

but yah... I guess I need to remember it's decades out before I have to worry about downsizing.. lol.   Loads of years left to enjoy my music.