Collectors, do you ever ask yourself........

Comments

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited August 2022
    If by collecting you mean stuff sitting in cellophane, then I am nearly done for the 2nd time in my life with that and it will stick this time. 
    I just mean buying/ collecting records in general. At least records serve a practical purpose but it doesn't bother me if people leave them sealed or not. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I understand people liking variants but for me I buy the one I like best or even that's best priced.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    I do, but as a thinking exercise more than a plan.  I don't own anything else valuable and I don't have kids, so maybe my nieces and nephews would like some of this stuff whenever I die.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    @tempo_n_groove is my advocate. When i die he is responsible  for selling shit off to the  highest  bidder to give the money to my kids
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • bzouidenbzouiden Posts: 134
    Same here I ask myself this all the time.  But I am a bit of a collector by nature so Pearl Jam is not my only collections.  I have a about 80 pj show tshirts I have never worn, tons of records I have never played (or opened), etc.  I do get them out and look at them all the time but yes they are in a tub in a storage room.  So I am always asking myself why do I keep buying vinyl I have a record player but I can't bring myself to open up a Vault and play it...  At least the posters are on the wall and in a portfolio so I can enjoy them.  But I am on my second portfolio so one could argue are you really enjoying those posters?  I will probably die with all of it and have instructed my son which ones are worth the most and how to sell them on ebay as none of my kids want anything to do with it.  I will say Pearl Jam stuff is not a great investment though it definitely appreciates over time but the timeline is fairly long. I also "collect" lego and various other collectables for resell so I justify my PJ purchases with well I just sold $xx in lego this month and I only paid $x for those so I can maybe buy that $50 vinyl  or $100 AP poster. btw vinyl has gotten crazy, it wasn't that long ago these normal releases would be $15-17 now they are $35-40.
    Kansas City 1998  /\  Kansas City 2000  /\  Kansas City 2003  /\  St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021 /\ St. Louis 2022  /\  OKC 2022  /\  Chicago N1 & N2 2023
    Chicago N1 & N2 2024

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,785
    I stopped buying stuff after 2016 tour.  I sold my Benny out of necessity.  Marie Kondo is coming over next week.  Stay tuned. Dog tags, vinyl, posters and pics coming up.  =)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I think I can build an addition with all my lp mailers and poster tubes.....vinyl sounds better...but I am too lazy to listen to them regularly
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited August 2022
    I never had a large collection, but I have sold most of my vaults off. I just sold my OP Ten, but I will probably keep a few of my OPs, VS, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield and posters from the shows I attended and was lucky enough to get a poster at. I'm not as excited about everything PJ as I once was.  I think it is burn out from heavy listening from '91-2014.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    static111 said:
    I never had a large collection, but I have sold most of my vaults off. I just sold my OP Ten, but I will probably keep a few of my OPs, VS, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield and posters from the shows I attended and was lucky enough to get a poster at. I'm not as excited about everything PJ as I once was.  I think it is burn out from heavy listening from '91-2014.
    Ya I go through phases of burnout with everything I listen too.  Go off the bands for awhile then I go back.  I've been heavy on zeppelin latley lol
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    I thought about selling my posters as one big lot. I have some 98's including Mansfield signed and numbered. I don't know what I would do with the money though. I thought about seeing pearl jam at a location that would be costly. Like on another continent. I don't hang them like I used to. 
  • PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
    jefft said:
    static111 said:
    Ya I go through phases of burnout with everything I listen too.  Go off the bands for awhile then I go back.  I've been heavy on zeppelin latley lol
    Definitely this! I go through periods where I put PJ on the shelf for months and do deep dives with certain bands, genres, etc. I went down a crazy deep dive into pressings of early Zep albums on vinyl. I probably know more than anyone should know about Zep II pressings. Its kind of embarrassing really. I also took a deep dive down Blue Note jazz records. Man....they've got some great stuff. So I can totally relate to getting down a rabbit hole on bands. Whenever I play Zeppelin I, I always try to imagine what the heck a kid would think back in the 60's when they dropped the needle on that bad boy for the first time. I cant even imagine.....
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,222

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    demetrios said:

I endorse this message ^^^
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    dankind said:
    Man, I would love to get rid of all of it, but I can't imagine the work that would entail. Even considering the money I would get, I don't think it would be worth the time and energy. I'll let someone else handle it when I die.

Or maybe my kids or one of their friends will like this band someday. I have met a few people in town who seem like big fans. I've considered asking them if they want to come by and see if they want anything.
    Thought about a trunk sale. Cash and carry. I can see it now.
     Person: "I like that poster"
    Me: "ok that's $500. Or if you have Joe's Garage on vinyl I'll trade you."
    Person: "bye bye, and what the f..k is Joe's garage?!"

He was such a nice boy, he used to cut my grass.
    Seriously Iso joes garage in any format sans 8 track.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    Neener neener

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • NormanNorman Posts: 112
    I sold my most valuable items in 2017. It was a lot of work, packaging, going to the post office on a daily basis. But in two three months I made a small fortune. I still have alot of vinyl, but I doubt I’ll ever feel the need to buy to collect again. Just for the music.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    Not really.  I guess that's going to be a future me problem.   I feel I'm ok with my collecting but sometimes buy a few things maybe I shouldn't.   I have pretty much all the PJ records, and there's a few albums I own in duplicate because I bought a colour vinyl reissue kind of thing.  Plus there's also the concert posters, but 99% of them are from shows I was at, so there's only so many I didn't frame (looking at you Vancouver 2011).

I just assumed it's going to end up in a dumpster.    If I live to my 80s or 90s, the vast bulk of PJ fans and rock music fans will have aged with me (or predeceased me).  No one's going to be in a position to buy this stuff at that age.  It either means I toss it when I'm that old, or whoever inherits my estate will toss it... lol.  I suppose I could offer my vinyl collection to a nephew or niece.. but they'll have grown up with their own era of music to love and appreciate.

So yah.. I figure this stuff will age out worthless, but it does mean something to me while I'm alive.  Ideally I guess I'll die before I move out of my home and never have to deal with it.  The alternative, aging out of my home to go to an old folks home, probably means I will have to deal with it.. that'll be sad.
  • Zod said:
    Not really.  I guess that's going to be a future me problem.   I feel I'm ok with my collecting but sometimes buy a few things maybe I shouldn't.   I have pretty much all the PJ records, and there's a few albums I own in duplicate because I bought a colour vinyl reissue kind of thing.  Plus there's also the concert posters, but 99% of them are from shows I was at, so there's only so many I didn't frame (looking at you Vancouver 2011).

I just assumed it's going to end up in a dumpster.    If I live to my 80s or 90s, the vast bulk of PJ fans and rock music fans will have aged with me (or predeceased me).  No one's going to be in a position to buy this stuff at that age.  It either means I toss it when I'm that old, or whoever inherits my estate will toss it... lol.  I suppose I could offer my vinyl collection to a nephew or niece.. but they'll have grown up with their own era of music to love and appreciate.

So yah.. I figure this stuff will age out worthless, but it does mean something to me while I'm alive.  Ideally I guess I'll die before I move out of my home and never have to deal with it.  The alternative, aging out of my home to go to an old folks home, probably means I will have to deal with it.. that'll be sad.
    My teenage niece & nephews are taking a big interest in rock music. One is playing guitar, one loves a Spotify playlist & cracking out a Nirvana T, & the other just got a turntable & a record for their birthday. I don’t know if this is a common trend for their generation, but perhaps there is a chance one of them might want to inherit some of my collection. 
    You never know someone might see the value in what you have, rather than deciding to feed the dumpster with it. 
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    True. Go to any store now to score a record you want (used or new). It's expensive. An upward trend. Glad I got most all I wanted a few years ago before the spike.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Zod said:

My teenage niece & nephews are taking a big interest in rock music. One is playing guitar, one loves a Spotify playlist & cracking out a Nirvana T, & the other just got a turntable & a record for their birthday. I don’t know if this is a common trend for their generation, but perhaps there is a chance one of them might want to inherit some of my collection. 
    You never know someone might see the value in what you have, rather than deciding to feed the dumpster with it. 
    I agree. My young kids love the music I listen to.  I’ve always thought it has to do with the fact popular music today doesn’t really use any instruments.  Being able to play an instrument is becoming obsolete which I tend to think will keep some of this music around for a long time.  If only for the fact it’s different 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Zod said:

I like that positivity.  My nieces and nephews are all still pretty young, maybe one of them will turn out to like rock music :)
  • treestrees Posts: 1,866
    edited August 2022
    My Collection  consists  mostly  of all the cds and bootlegs  boxsets and just thier Albums  and official live shows on vinyl and some posters of shows I've been  to .but yesi figure  they will get handed down sold in the future  after iam absorbed  into the eithers
    Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    I am slowly getting rid of all my stuff.  Probably keep one or two smaller items such as the backstage pass from Randalls or the pick Eddie gave me at the REM HOF induction.  The rest needs to go.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,439
    Last time I went through my "box" I came across the mystery box items like the wrist bands and wondered what in the hell I was hanging onto that for.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    I am down to just vinyls and posters of the shows I attend.  When I am dead, people can pick through it and keep sentimental things to remember me by.  Then they can sell the rest. But I have a spreadsheet with approx values on some of the things, so people know not to hock a Benny vinyl at a garage sale. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
    Last time I went through my "box" I came across the mystery box items like the wrist bands and wondered what in the hell I was hanging onto that for.
    I’ve never quite understood the draw of mystery boxes

buying something you don’t even know what it is basically is both like hoarding and those people who buy abandoned storage units sight unseen from the hoarders.  

At some point that has got to cross the line from a focused collection into accumulating for the sake of accumulating 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895

buying something you don’t even know what it is basically is both like hoarding and those people who buy abandoned storage units sight unseen from the hoarders.  

At some point that has got to cross the line from a focused collection into accumulating for the sake of accumulating 
    It's like a lottery ticket. Most of them have junk that didn't sell, but a few will have band signed items or valuable posters. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,439

I can't say they weren't worth it.  It was like $100 or something but included a hoodie, a few shirts, other decent mementos but some items that were just random leftover junk (i.e. wrist bands that weren't used that say "PJ" on them)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

I can't say they weren't worth it.  It was like $100 or something but included a hoodie, a few shirts, other decent mementos but some items that were just random leftover junk (i.e. wrist bands that weren't used that say "PJ" on them)
    Yeah, I’m not saying there isn’t good stuff in them.

finding stuff you didn’t know you needed 
    I loved the mystery boxes.  It was fun opening them up, kinda like a birthday or Xmas presents where you get some things you like and an ugly sweater.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I am down to just vinyls and posters of the shows I attend.  When I am dead, people can pick through it and keep sentimental things to remember me by.  Then they can sell the rest. But I have a spreadsheet with approx values on some of the things, so people know not to hock a Benny vinyl at a garage sale. 
    Yah, but the question is, will anything in our collections have that much value when we go?   If you pass young, sure because there's going to be a lot of die hard PJ fan's still out there, but if you go the distance, the demographic who could buy that stuff might not be in a position to do so.

I sort of feel like with PJ memorabilia, is that it'll probably keep going up for the next 20 to 30 years, but once you pass this hump where people have to downsize or they age out... the people out there looking for this stuff will vastly shrink.  I feel like maybe some friends/families might pick through my collection, but I'm not sure how much monetary value it will have if I go the distance.   Maybe someone will be able to live there dream and get a Benaroya at age 92, because people executors keep trying to ditch them :)