Options

Former drummer Dave Abbruzzese reflects on the tour cancellation

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    Sorry, no one is going to convince me that Dave A is wealthy today for drumming on two records.  

Yeah two records that combined to sell like 15 million copies. And he's credited as songwriter on every song except for Nothingman, Better Man, Satan's Bed, and Stupid Mop. That wouldn't make him "wealthy." As Chris Rock said once, "Shaq is rich, the white man that signs his check....he's wealthy." But "zero chance he's a millionaire" isn't correct either. There's a good chance he's a millionaire. Or at least he certainly once was one. Who knows about these days. 
    I 100% agree that he was a millionaire at some point.  There is no doubt.  I am talking specifically about today.  What has he done with his life for the past 25 years?  Anything of note?  Does he have a job?  Does he gig?  If he had 2MM tax free 25 years ago, that's only 80k per year as of today, and he would be wiped out.  Does anyone think he invested 2MM?  Negative. 
    Your guess is as good as mine. All I know that he's done since leaving the band is....

-Something called "Green Romance Orchestra." I've never checked it out.
    -Some sessions for Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy record
    -Played Rearviewmirror virtually with a bunch of fans for the band's 30th anniversary

That's all I got. 
    His time with GnG predates anything considered ”Chinese Democracy” I think. He was there when Duff was still in the band. But maybe some jam that is CD connected happened at that time. 

I am no GnR expert. 

And the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had is Matt Chamberlain. On the live disc that came with the To Venus and Back album. No contest. 
    Tell us more about what you think might have happened that time he almost became the drummer for GnR. 
    Why do you have to be like this. 

Just pointing out that you can only speculate about what may or may not have happened  that time he almost became the drummer for GnR but didn't. & speculation is just that, speculation. 
    What do you mean? He himself has talked about that period. And there are other sources regarding the b and, and the CD songs and where they came from?

So take it easy... you know what they say about people who don't make sense
    There's a whole lot of "I think"s and "maybe"s in your comments about that time he almost became their drummer... but didn't. 

Stop reacting so sensitively. Dave A doesn't even cry this much. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    Sorry, no one is going to convince me that Dave A is wealthy today for drumming on two records.  

Yeah two records that combined to sell like 15 million copies. And he's credited as songwriter on every song except for Nothingman, Better Man, Satan's Bed, and Stupid Mop. That wouldn't make him "wealthy." As Chris Rock said once, "Shaq is rich, the white man that signs his check....he's wealthy." But "zero chance he's a millionaire" isn't correct either. There's a good chance he's a millionaire. Or at least he certainly once was one. Who knows about these days. 
    I 100% agree that he was a millionaire at some point.  There is no doubt.  I am talking specifically about today.  What has he done with his life for the past 25 years?  Anything of note?  Does he have a job?  Does he gig?  If he had 2MM tax free 25 years ago, that's only 80k per year as of today, and he would be wiped out.  Does anyone think he invested 2MM?  Negative. 
    Your guess is as good as mine. All I know that he's done since leaving the band is....

-Played Rearviewmirror virtually with a bunch of fans for the band's 30th anniversary

That's all I got. 
    His time with GnG predates anything considered ”Chinese Democracy” I think. He was there when Duff was still in the band. But maybe some jam that is CD connected happened at that time. 

I am no GnR expert. 

And the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had is Matt Chamberlain. On the live disc that came with the To Venus and Back album. No contest. 
    Tell us more about what you think might have happened that time he almost became the drummer for GnR. 

Just pointing out that you can only speculate about what may or may not have happened  that time he almost became the drummer for GnR but didn't. & speculation is just that, speculation. 
    What do you mean? He himself has talked about that period. And there are other sources regarding the b and, and the CD songs and where they came from?

There's a whole lot of "I think"s and "maybe"s in your comments about that time he almost became their drummer... but didn't. 

Not remembering fully, is not the same as "speculating".

So, stop not making sense. 

But please keep acting out. It's cute. Dave A doesn't even act out this much
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    Gee.  I wonder why Dave A is no longer around.  Maybe because personality wise, he is an asshole. I don't know, who knows, could just be speculating.  But seems like an old man with an instagram catering to fans who can't get over three decades ago is assholish.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

More Dave A threads please… this dead horse defintely isn’t dead enough. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

You keep acting out. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    That I do. 

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,295
    edited May 2022
    According to Ed, Matt remained in Arizona after testing positive.  That implies that he tested positive on Tuesday.  The first Oakland show was Friday.  They had time to scramble to figure out how to replace him.  In all likelihood, they found out about Jeff's positive test late Wednesday morning (or Jeff had tested negative but started feeling poorly on Wednesday morning).  That did not give them much time to figure out how to replace him.

One thing I want to point out here, and I do intend to imply any disrespect to Matt, whose absence was clearly felt in Oakland and Fresno as exciting as those shows were, but there are four things that every Pearl Jam show in history have in common: Eddie Vedder, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament.  Even the infamous San Francisco show in 1995 had Eddie for seven songs.  They have played many shows without Matt.  They have never played a show without Jeff.  If there were a show without Jeff, would it be a Pearl Jam show?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

These threads are where I got my show cancellation notices.  

Without them I’d still be looking for the set list 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    BF25394 said:
    According to Ed, Matt remained in Arizona after testing positive.  That implies that he tested positive on Tuesday.  The first Oakland show was Friday.  They had time to scramble to figure out how to replace him.  In all likelihood, they found out about Jeff's positive test late Wednesday morning (or Jeff had tested negative but started feeling poorly on Wednesday morning).  That did not give them much time to figure out how to replace him.

One thing I want to point out here, and I do intend to imply any disrespect to Matt, whose absence was clearly felt in Oakland and Fresno as exciting as those shows were, but there are four things that every Pearl Jam show in history have in common: Eddie Vedder, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament.  Even the infamous San Francisco show in 1995 had Eddie for seven songs.  They have played many shows without Matt.  They have never played a show without Jeff.  If there were a show without Jeff, would it be a Pearl Jam show?
    Oakland 1 was Thursday. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    BF25394 said:

Oakland 1 was Thursday. 
    You're right.  Thank you.  I've been driving around the southwest for two weeks and have lost all sense of what day of the week it is.  But the point remains that they had some lead time to figure out an alternative plan for Oakland that they apparently did not have for Sacramento.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2022
    Abbruzzese isn't even that good of a drummer.  lol.  If he was half decent, he'd have some sort of job...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    JV130312 said:
    Abbruzzese isn't even that good of a drummer.  lol.
    You don’t even believe this. 
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    JV130312 said:
    Abbruzzese isn't even that good of a drummer.  lol.
    You don’t even believe this. 

It's facts.  no need to believe.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    JV130312 said:
    Abbruzzese isn't even that good of a drummer.  lol.  If he was half decent, he'd have some sort of job...
    Mediocre at best. I play drums. His drum parts are simple. Irons is way better and MC is easily the best technical drummer out of all. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    JV130312 said:
    Mediocre at best. I play drums. His drum parts are simple. Irons is way better and MC is easily the best technical drummer out of all. 
    Yup
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    JV130312 said:
    I agree and I'm an expert at watching drummers. 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Or maybe he's a good drummer but just an asshole
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JV130312 said:
    Exactly. So between the two of us I think this is finally settled. Let’s all move on 
  • Options
    Or maybe he's a good drummer but just an asshole
    This

he can also be a good drummer that is still 3rd or 4th on the depth chart in a band that has had several great drummers 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    JV130312 said:
    Exactly. So between the two of us I think this is finally settled. Let’s all move on 
    haha, agreed again! 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 
    You can add “stopped paying rent on a storage shed” to that list.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 
    Weirdly enough I bought a bunch of PJ stuff (vinyl mostly) from a reseller who basically buys the contents of abandoned storage units. In Texas outside Dallas 

coincidence? 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    He's like the dude that cant get over being dumped by his girlfriend. And he's still hanging on 30 years later.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 
    Ha I've been waiting all day for someone else to reference this...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    BF25394 said:

They played a show without Stone
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    BF25394 said:

Cardboard standup! That was the HOB show in Chicago? Plant was involved?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2022
    BF25394 said:

Cardboard standup! That was the HOB show in Chicago? Plant was involved?
    Few years before the Plant show.  But same venue!   And yes Stone was a cardboard cutout :lol:

September 23, 2002.
    1. Last Kiss
      • Insignificance
        • Grievance
          • I Am Mine
            • Love Boat Captain
              • Green Disease
                • Not For You
                  • Better Man
                    • Leaving Here
                      • Yellow Ledbetter
                      Post edited by cp3iverson on
                    • Options
                      mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
                      mrussel1 said:
                      mrussel1 said:

Even if he is a millionaire you absolutely can’t retire on that  at age 27 or whenever it was. It’s next to impossible at 65 if that’s your entire retirement portfolio as I bet his social security wages for the last 30 years were sporadic at best.

plug 1 million into a retirement draw down calculator. It’s not a lot so whatever the number is doesn’t matter, it’s not wealthy or set for life 

If you’re smart about it you totally can. I don’t know how royalties work or the details of their contract, but if he just got 10 cents a record that 1.5 million just from album sales. Add touring in their heyday, even though were cheap they were still selling out and playing a lot. $3 million dollars and you are careful and invest, if you get a 3% return you’re getting 90k a year without touching the original investment.
                      Thats not a wealthy lifestyle, but it certainly isn’t broke.
                      Now do I think he didn’t spend his money and invested it instead? Probably not. Especially since he probably expected to be in the band longer.
                       But a couple million dollars in your 20s, you can definitely make that work if you plan ahead. Most people probably don’t if they fall into it though.
                    • Options
                      Sarava said:
                      He's like the dude that cant get over being dumped by his girlfriend. And he's still hanging on 30 years later.
                      Hey, leave me out of this...
                    • Options
                      mace1229 said:
                      mrussel1 said:
                      mrussel1 said:

Even if he is a millionaire you absolutely can’t retire on that  at age 27 or whenever it was. It’s next to impossible at 65 if that’s your entire retirement portfolio as I bet his social security wages for the last 30 years were sporadic at best.

plug 1 million into a retirement draw down calculator. It’s not a lot so whatever the number is doesn’t matter, it’s not wealthy or set for life 

If you’re smart about it you totally can. I don’t know how royalties work or the details of their contract, but if he just got 10 cents a record that 1.5 million just from album sales. Add touring in their heyday, even though were cheap they were still selling out and playing a lot. $3 million dollars and you are careful and invest, if you get a 3% return you’re getting 90k a year without touching the original investment.
                      Thats not a wealthy lifestyle, but it certainly isn’t broke.
                      Now do I think he didn’t spend his money and invested it instead? Probably not. Especially since he probably expected to be in the band longer.
                       But a couple million dollars in your 20s, you can definitely make that work if you plan ahead. Most people probably don’t if they fall into it though.
                      If he bought $100,000 worth of Amazon stock in 1997, it would be worth well over $10 million today, so it all depends on how you invest that money (and how profligate or frugal you are can make a big difference, too).