Options

Former drummer Dave Abbruzzese reflects on the tour cancellation

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    Sorry, no one is going to convince me that Dave A is wealthy today for drumming on two records.  
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    mrussel1 said:
    It's okay.  It's not as good as Johnny Guitar IMO, but that is subject to an ongoing, raging debate.  https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/285925/sticky-black-vs-johnny-guitar#latest
    Thank you for this! I was not familiar with this thread and I have to confess this is now my Heard/Depp trial. I love it. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    Sorry, no one is going to convince me that Dave A is wealthy today for drumming on two records.  

Yeah two records that combined to sell like 15 million copies. And he's credited as songwriter on every song except for Nothingman, Better Man, Satan's Bed, and Stupid Mop. That wouldn't make him "wealthy." As Chris Rock said once, "Shaq is rich, the white man that signs his check....he's wealthy." But "zero chance he's a millionaire" isn't correct either. There's a good chance he's a millionaire. Or at least he certainly once was one. Who knows about these days. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    The reason his is missed by us old timers was because was a fucking beast on that kit. I never met the guy, but heard most of the boots.

https://youtu.be/60jhpgpU-JE
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,521
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    It wasn't a marriage, it was a business partnership. One that Dave contributed to, got fired from, and then watched his former colleagues get rich in part off of work that he contributed to. So I understand him being salty, but I also recognize his saltiness when I see it and don't really fault the band for not wanting him around. That is as close to a defense of Dave as I hope to ever make. 
    & anyone who's been in a band knows it's a unique business partnership at that. 

If I was in his shoes, I don't know that I would be over getting kicked out of Pearl Jam either... that would be a very hard thing to come to terms with.

I can't understand anyone else not being over it though. It's been almost 30 years, it's hard to take seriously, tbh. 

And yet…imagine being in Dave Krusen’s shoes. He battled his addiction and put himself first. He saved himself and never resented the band. That’s why we got to witness him in Fresno and he couldn’t have looked more appreciative.
    He’s pretty candid about it being his fault.  I’ve never heard a bad word spoken about him either.  He owned it. That’s how you move on
    100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:
    It wasn't a marriage, it was a business partnership. One that Dave contributed to, got fired from, and then watched his former colleagues get rich in part off of work that he contributed to. So I understand him being salty, but I also recognize his saltiness when I see it and don't really fault the band for not wanting him around. That is as close to a defense of Dave as I hope to ever make. 
    & anyone who's been in a band knows it's a unique business partnership at that. 

If I was in his shoes, I don't know that I would be over getting kicked out of Pearl Jam either... that would be a very hard thing to come to terms with.

I can't understand anyone else not being over it though. It's been almost 30 years, it's hard to take seriously, tbh. 

And yet…imagine being in Dave Krusen’s shoes. He battled his addiction and put himself first. He saved himself and never resented the band. That’s why we got to witness him in Fresno and he couldn’t have looked more appreciative.
    He’s pretty candid about it being his fault.  I’ve never heard a bad word spoken about him either.  He owned it. That’s how you move on
    Exactly. 
    Apples and oranges though. Haha. He left because of addiction, did he not? He wasn't sat down in front of a plate of pancakes with just Stone there being pushed out to do the band's* bidding

*certain someones in the band

But amazingly cool to see him in the apple-circumstance be able to "return" both at the RnR hoF and now in Fresno. 
    Doesn’t matter to me how Dave A was fired when you’re in a band and the other members don’t want you in the band. Point being Dave K made at best thousands from his time with the band and is still treated well by the band (wouldn’t be surprised if he receives a cheque for a portion of the Fresno fee) while Dave A made at best a few hundreds of thousands with the band, blew it all, sold his kit to Shon for probably $50,000, and is still bitter about not participation.

Not apples and oranges. Class and Sass.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    The reason his is missed by us old timers was because was a fucking beast on that kit. I never met the guy, but heard most of the boots.

Speak for yourself, this old timer is glad the band moved on from him. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah two records that combined to sell like 15 million copies. And he's credited as songwriter on every song except for Nothingman, Better Man, Satan's Bed, and Stupid Mop. That wouldn't make him "wealthy." As Chris Rock said once, "Shaq is rich, the white man that signs his check....he's wealthy." But "zero chance he's a millionaire" isn't correct either. There's a good chance he's a millionaire. Or at least he certainly once was one. Who knows about these days. 
    Even if he is a millionaire you absolutely can’t retire on that  at age 27 or whenever it was. It’s next to impossible at 65 if that’s your entire retirement portfolio as I bet his social security wages for the last 30 years were sporadic at best.

plug 1 million into a retirement draw down calculator. It’s not a lot so whatever the number is doesn’t matter, it’s not wealthy or set for life 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I 100% agree that he was a millionaire at some point.  There is no doubt.  I am talking specifically about today.  What has he done with his life for the past 25 years?  Anything of note?  Does he have a job?  Does he gig?  If he had 2MM tax free 25 years ago, that's only 80k per year as of today, and he would be wiped out.  Does anyone think he invested 2MM?  Negative. 
  • Options

Me too.  I love MFC's drumming.  I think he's amazing.  He's not just a cement mixer, he's technical, he has jazz root (which I love) and the band is so tight with him.  That's the thing that stood out most in Oakland.  They were all over the place and loose.  It was cool for a show or two, but I wouldn't want that all the time.  
  • Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404
    Clapper said:
    Embarrassing.  He was the drummer for like 10% of the band's career. Outside of a few hold outs on this forum and Dave, I don't think many would even think of him as the associated drummer with Pearl Jam.  It's like getting married young, it not working out and then 30 years later, after an entire lifetime apart, one person still talks badly about the relationship, and one person doesn't doesn't even think about it...at all.  They only time Dave makes it in the media or on socials is to bad mouth the band.  Hard to imagine why they'd rather use literally anyone else to drum than to call him. 
    That same 10% cemented the band’s legacy and drew in the majority of their fan base?

The correct analogy would be like “getting married to someone 30yrs ago, having a kid, getting divorced after 2 years and then acting like the person you were married to and have the kid with is irrelevant.
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I 100% agree that he was a millionaire at some point.  There is no doubt.  I am talking specifically about today.  What has he done with his life for the past 25 years?  Anything of note?  Does he have a job?  Does he gig?  If he had 2MM tax free 25 years ago, that's only 80k per year as of today, and he would be wiped out.  Does anyone think he invested 2MM?  Negative. 
    Your guess is as good as mine. All I know that he's done since leaving the band is....

-Something called "Green Romance Orchestra." I've never checked it out.
    -Some sessions for Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy record
    -Played Rearviewmirror virtually with a bunch of fans for the band's 30th anniversary

That's all I got. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:

Me too.  I love MFC's drumming.  I think he's amazing.  He's not just a cement mixer, he's technical, he has jazz root (which I love) and the band is so tight with him.  That's the thing that stood out most in Oakland.  They were all over the place and loose.  It was cool for a show or two, but I wouldn't want that all the time.  
    Yup... I prefer MFC's Soundgarden work over his PJ work, as i think he was just a more dynamic drummer w/ SG, but that's also a whole different animal than PJ.

I agree with everything you said about the band being tight around him. The guys is a f'ing machine behind the kit, a true joy to watch. 

For my money though, the Jack Irons albums are my runaway favorites, so by default, he's my favorite PJ drummer. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yup... I prefer MFC's Soundgarden work over his PJ work, as i think he was just a more dynamic drummer w/ SG, but that's also a whole different animal than PJ.

I agree with everything you said about the band being tight around him. The guys is a f'ing machine behind the kit, a true joy to watch. 

For my money though, the Jack Irons albums are my runaway favorites, so by default, he's my favorite PJ drummer. 
    Agreed, those are the three best albums.  But no way would he be physically able to do what Matt does and has done.  Guy is in tremendous shape.  
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 138
    tbergs said:
    Oh boy, another Dave thread. Some fans are so obsessed with 1992. So weird.
    82% of people going to the shows are there for Jeremy, Alive, Black and Evenflow. 

The 8% not "obsessed with 1992" are de facto the outlier. As in, the "weird".
    According to my calculations that leaves another 10%. Does that 10% represent people sick of hearing about Dave A?
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,118
    mrussel1 said:

My bad. I'm not a friend or follower of his on FB. So it didn't show up on my feed as a typical birthday thing, it just showed up as a fundraiser. 
  • Options
    More like Dave Abruzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... :sleeping:

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    bmurray06 said:
    tbergs said:
    Oh boy, another Dave thread. Some fans are so obsessed with 1992. So weird.
    82% of people going to the shows are there for Jeremy, Alive, Black and Evenflow. 

The 8% not "obsessed with 1992" are de facto the outlier. As in, the "weird".
    According to my calculations that leaves another 10%. Does that 10% represent people sick of hearing about Dave A?

Thank you for asking. 

Those 10% are the ones that can find value both in 1992 and the present.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Your guess is as good as mine. All I know that he's done since leaving the band is....

-Played Rearviewmirror virtually with a bunch of fans for the band's 30th anniversary

That's all I got. 
    His time with GnG predates anything considered ”Chinese Democracy” I think. He was there when Duff was still in the band. But maybe some jam that is CD connected happened at that time. 

I am no GnR expert. 

And the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had is Matt Chamberlain. On the live disc that came with the To Venus and Back album. No contest. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 
    He was also touring with Stevie Salas and Bernard Fowler in a band called the IMFs from 2009-2013 (I think)

"he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, wasn't there just a Go Fund Me or something circulating the other day asking for money to help pay his daughter's college bills?

internet says his net worth is three mil. A few of these search results have the same amount. Maybe not accurate, but he has songwriter credits on a bunch of songs so does get some income from that each year.

https://networthpost.org/dave-abbruzzese-net-worth/

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    mrussel1 said:

I’m not saying permanently, but a few of us would have loved to see Dave A for a single show in Sacto while Matt was out.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 
    His time with GnG predates anything considered ”Chinese Democracy” I think. He was there when Duff was still in the band. But maybe some jam that is CD connected happened at that time. 

I am no GnR expert. 

And the best drummer Pearl Jam has ever had is Matt Chamberlain. On the live disc that came with the To Venus and Back album. No contest. 
    Tell us more about what you think might have happened that time he almost became the drummer for GnR. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

Tell us more about what you think might have happened that time he almost became the drummer for GnR. 
    Why do you have to be like this. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, wasn't there just a Go Fund Me or something circulating the other day asking for money to help pay his daughter's college bills?

internet says his net worth is three mil. A few of these search results have the same amount. Maybe not accurate, but he has songwriter credits on a bunch of songs so does get some income from that each year.

The spread on EV’s estimates are like 20 million.

Dave A is well within the margin of error. It could be zero 

I think you get a better estimate dealing with huge sums of money as it’s a lot either way vs it being some money or none 
  • Options
    Celebrity net worth numbers are as precise as astrology. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    mrussel1 said:

The spread on EV’s estimates are like 20 million.

Dave A is well within the margin of error. It could be zero 

I think you get a better estimate dealing with huge sums of money as it’s a lot either way vs it being some money or none 

Yes these estimates can be off. Good chance EV’s worth could have went down 20% in the last 3 months with this horrific stock market…and real estate decline is on its way unfortunately if that’s where he invests. It’s possible Dave has some money/property stashed away, but not a ton.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

Just pointing out that you can only speculate about what may or may not have happened  that time he almost became the drummer for GnR but didn't. & speculation is just that, speculation. 

Take it easy... you know what they say about people who react sensitively. 
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455
    The title of this thread is clickbaity
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's all I got. 

I am no GnR expert. 

Just pointing out that you can only speculate about what may or may not have happened  that time he almost became the drummer for GnR but didn't. & speculation is just that, speculation. 
    What do you mean? He himself has talked about that period. And there are other sources regarding the b and, and the CD songs and where they came from?

So take it easy... you know what they say about people who don't make sense
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    mrussel1 said:

I’m not saying permanently, but a few of us would have loved to see Dave A for a single show in Sacto while Matt was out.
    I would have just loved to see a show in Sac period. They could have thrown drumsticks at my head for all I care. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.