Options

Former drummer Dave Abbruzzese reflects on the tour cancellation

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited May 2022
    Clapper said:
    Embarrassing.  He was the drummer for like 10% of the band's career. Outside of a few hold outs on this forum and Dave, I don't think many would even think of him as the associated drummer with Pearl Jam.  It's like getting married young, it not working out and then 30 years later, after an entire lifetime apart, one person still talks badly about the relationship, and one person doesn't doesn't even think about it...at all.  They only time Dave makes it in the media or on socials is to bad mouth the band.  Hard to imagine why they'd rather use literally anyone else to drum than to call him. 
    This is a great analogy. 
    If it wasn't for the fact that the person who "doesn't doesn't even think about it... at all" sat at a festival 30 years later about to play a song that person from that young marriage once wrote and acted out some so-so theater about not even remembering the persons name he was once youngly madly marriaged to...

... doesn't really scream all that confidently "doesn't doesn't even think about it". Something petty seem to linger from that thing, an entire lifetime apart that one supposedly doesn't doesn't even think about.

And also. It's a shit analogy. Because no one moves on from that young love. Young love in our formative years is to strong to ever disappear our hearts. Haven't people on here ever read a love story, watched one or listened to one being sung. Get educated.

As if there was any doubt who was going to look too deeply into this and get all defensive on behalf of Dave. 

As for the bolded, there's actually truth to that. I still have passing thoughts of past lovers. I'm guessing that maybe you don't have any past lovers though if you think reading a love story, watching one, or listen to one being sung would be a way to "get educated" on the subject. No dude, most of us have experiences to fall back on. We don't need to read a story...to learn about past love...to apply it to an analogy....about a drummer from 25 years ago. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I usually don’t agree with @Spiritual_Chaos but Ed continues to take swipes at Dave and Ed and the boys are the ones in the tax bracket none of us will ever know and Dave might serve us fries in the future. Nobody but the core of that band knows what really happened. Stone and Mike may have just bet on the right horse. A lot easier to put up with Eddie Vedder’s shit than a drummers when you look at big picture and who’s going to get you the farthest. Maybe Dave isn’t pro choice and can’t have any dissent on the PJ train. The bottom line to me is these are a bunch of attention seeking people on both sides airing their dirty laundry in public view when I just want to hear the best music possible. Fuck them all if it gives us better tunes. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    edited May 2022
    It wasn't a marriage, it was a business partnership. One that Dave contributed to, got fired from, and then watched his former colleagues get rich in part off of work that he contributed to. So I understand him being salty, but I also recognize his saltiness when I see it and don't really fault the band for not wanting him around. That is as close to a defense of Dave as I hope to ever make. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I usually don’t agree with @Spiritual_Chaos but Ed continues to take swipes at Dave and Ed and the boys are the ones in the tax bracket none of us will ever know and Dave might serve us fries in the future. Nobody but the core of that band knows what really happened. Stone and Mike may have just bet on the right horse. A lot easier to put up with Eddie Vedder’s shit than a drummers when you look at big picture and who’s going to get you the farthest. Maybe Dave isn’t pro choice and can’t have any dissent on the PJ train. The bottom line to me is these are a bunch of attention seeking people on both sides airing their dirty laundry in public view when I just want to hear the best music possible. Fuck them all if it gives us better tunes. 
    On the other hand though, Dave made out like a bandit getting writing credits on songs that he didn't write, so I'm sure the royalties have good to him.

Vs. and Vitalogy (except for three songs) have all the songs credited to all five band members. But we know that's the case. Animal and Daughter for example are obviously "Gossard/Vedder." Not For You, Immortality, Small Town, and Corduroy are totally "Vedder." I know Dave co-wrote Go and likely had a lot do with the composition of WMA. Maybe a song or two more, but he's made out pretty damn well.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    If PJ lasted one album as a successful group after Dave A was fired, and continued on playing night clubs from then to now, Dave A wouldn’t care. No way he posts about a dive bar gig getting cancelled. 

at the bottom of all of this is jealousy and regret about what might have been. 

The band is in a different position, I bet they don’t give Dave A a second thought, unless a situation comes up that requires them to, the reverse isn’t  true 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    Clapper said:
    Clapper said:
    Embarrassing.  He was the drummer for like 10% of the band's career. Outside of a few hold outs on this forum and Dave, I don't think many would even think of him as the associated drummer with Pearl Jam.  It's like getting married young, it not working out and then 30 years later, after an entire lifetime apart, one person still talks badly about the relationship, and one person doesn't doesn't even think about it...at all.  They only time Dave makes it in the media or on socials is to bad mouth the band.  Hard to imagine why they'd rather use literally anyone else to drum than to call him. 
    This is a great analogy. 
    If it wasn't for the fact that the person who "doesn't doesn't even think about it... at all" sat at a festival 30 years later about to play a song that person from that young marriage once wrote and acted out some so-so theater about not even remembering the persons name he was once youngly madly marriaged to...

... doesn't really scream all that confidently "doesn't doesn't even think about it". Something petty seem to linger from that thing, an entire lifetime apart that one supposedly doesn't doesn't even think about.

And also. It's a shit analogy. Because no one moves on from that young love. Young love in our formative years is to strong to ever disappear our hearts. Haven't people on here ever read a love story, watched one or listened to one being sung. Get educated.
    The girls you dated in high school must really appreciate the angry and cryptic posts on their facebook walls 30 years later.  Educate us about the healthy people that can't move on with their lives.  :'(     
    Have you even heard the song Black. It's off that album in the first 10% of the bands career. Such a short period, so maybe you missed it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    JimmyV said:
    It wasn't a marriage, it was a business partnership. One that Dave contributed to, got fired from, and then watched his former colleagues get rich in part off of work that he contributed to. So I understand him being salty, but I also recognize his saltiness when I see it and don't really fault the band for not wanting him around. That is as close to a defense of Dave as I hope to ever make. 
    & anyone who's been in a band knows it's a unique business partnership at that. 

If I was in his shoes, I don't know that I would be over getting kicked out of Pearl Jam either... that would be a very hard thing to come to terms with.

I can't understand anyone else not being over it though. It's been almost 30 years, it's hard to take seriously, tbh. 

• Options
    edited May 2022
    If PJ lasted one album as a successful group after Dave A was fired, and continued on playing night clubs from then to now, Dave A wouldn’t care. No way he posts about a dive bar gig getting cancelled. 

at the bottom of all of this is jealousy and regret about what might have been. 

The band is in a different position, I bet they don’t give Dave A a second thought, unless a situation comes up that requires them to, the reverse isn’t  true 
    Should be noted. Dave A was in, or had a shot on being in, Guns N Roses and left that band on his own accord. So I don't think this "he missed out on the gravy train" is that much of a reason people try to make it. He obviously still get's money from his time in the band. Even with the band removing him from the cover of the Unplugged release and making Matt Cameron cosplay as him in a Funko toy set. 

I would imagine, without knowing the man, that him having beef (to quote Jared Letos Joker I think...) has more to do with him being very much removed from the bands history and his contributions voldemort-ed away.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    JimmyV said:

If I was in his shoes, I don't know that I would be over getting kicked out of Pearl Jam either... that would be a very hard thing to come to terms with.

I can't understand anyone else not being over it though. It's been almost 30 years, it's hard to take seriously, tbh. 

And yet…imagine being in Dave Krusen’s shoes. He battled his addiction and put himself first. He saved himself and never resented the band. That’s why we got to witness him in Fresno and he couldn’t have looked more appreciative.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:

And yet…imagine being in Dave Krusen’s shoes. He battled his addiction and put himself first. He saved himself and never resented the band. That’s why we got to witness him in Fresno and he couldn’t have looked more appreciative.
    He’s pretty candid about it being his fault.  I’ve never heard a bad word spoken about him either.  He owned it. That’s how you move on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:

He’s pretty candid about it being his fault.  I’ve never heard a bad word spoken about him either.  He owned it. That’s how you move on
    Exactly. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206

Have you even heard the song Black. It's off that album in the first 10% of the bands career. Such a short period, so maybe you missed it.
    Never heard it, is it good?  I think I was at a show where they tried to play it once but the band was drowned out by all the people chanting Dave-y! Dave-y! Dave-y!  Is it on the Dave Abbruzzese Essentials playlist on Apple Music with his other work? I can't seem to find it. How is  it in comparison to the other 100 or so songs that the band has released that nothing to do with him? Take your time, I'll be in my basement tinkering with my time machine. One day, I'll get back to 1992.  
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Clapper said:

Never heard it, is it good?  I think I was at a show where they tried to play it once but the band was drowned out by all the people chanting Dave-y! Dave-y! Dave-y!  Is it on the Dave Abbruzzese Essentials playlist on Apple Music with his other work? I can't seem to find it. How is  it in comparison to the other 100 or so songs that the band has released that nothing to do with him? Take your time, I'll be in my basement tinkering with my time machine. One day, I'll get back to 1992.  
    It's okay.  It's not as good as Johnny Guitar IMO, but that is subject to an ongoing, raging debate.  https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/285925/sticky-black-vs-johnny-guitar#latest
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 352
    These Dave threads make me curious about royalties. Since pearl jam was in the golden age of CD sales, am I naïve to think that Dave would be set for life? I know these boards aren't about gossiping, and I don't want to speculate - I just remember a thread a while back where Mike mentioned that decades later he was still getting a few grand of royalty payments from ten.
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (8/31), St. Paul, MN (9/02)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    apirk72 said:
    If Jeff would have gotten it first they probably would've tried to find another bass player, and then would've cancelled if Matt then got sick.  I don't think what they did had anything to do with instruments, obviously if Ed had covid first they would've cancelled.
    disagree....no way they go on stage without Jeff, Mike or Stone
    I would imagine many Metallica fans would have said the same about going on without Lars Ulrich, before they did.

And KISS fans about the band going on without lead singer and founder Paul Stanley, before they did.

I think also the discussion with the band and management has to do with more than just "who will be on stage". There are other factors in play. Like Cropduster touched upon above.
    But David Lee Roth. If he ever leaves, Van Halen breaks up, can’t replace him.
  • Options
    Dave is a millionaire. Not to the extent that the other guys in the band are but, unless he's been extremely careless with his finances, he is not going to be "serving us fries" (as another poster put it) at any point in his life.
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,120
    mrussel1 said:
    There's zero chance he's a millionaire.  I bet he's been broke for decades.  I know for a fact he has sold some of his original tapes (Stuffins) to fans.  These are tapes of either versions of Alone, Wash, etc.  You wouldn't do that if you were a millionaire. 
    Yeah, wasn't there just a Go Fund Me or something circulating the other day asking for money to help pay his daughter's college bills?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, wasn't there just a Go Fund Me or something circulating the other day asking for money to help pay his daughter's college bills?
    I didn't know if that was real or not but was thinking the same thing. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:

100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:
    JimmyV said:

Exactly. 
    Apples and oranges though. Haha. He left because of addiction, did he not? He wasn't sat down in front of a plate of pancakes with just Stone there being pushed out to do the band's* bidding

*certain someones in the band

But amazingly cool to see him in the apple-circumstance be able to "return" both at the RnR hoF and now in Fresno. 
  • Options
    I guess i'm naïve about royalties then haha!

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Maybe Dave A is addicted to being an asshole. I suffer from that addiction so I sympathize. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    If I had to guess they royalties are probably worse anyway because the probably didn’t get the best contract in the beginning.  Even with lower sales today he probably could have made more. I think the timing was not great either 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Would imagine the royalties sunk like a rock when people stopped buying CDs etc.

And not like Pearl Jam pushes out their music to commercials (other than River Cross that one time, but people on here said it was a PSA and NOT an ad for Verizon) and movies etc. 

His loft looked nice when he was zooming into that podcast though. Looked cozy.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Clapper said:
    Clapper said:
    This is a great analogy. 

The girls you dated in high school must really appreciate the angry and cryptic posts on their facebook walls 30 years later.  Educate us about the healthy people that can't move on with their lives.  :'(     
    Too busy listening to Johnny Guitar
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Clapper said:

It's okay.  It's not as good as Johnny Guitar IMO, but that is subject to an ongoing, raging debate.  https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/285925/sticky-black-vs-johnny-guitar#latest
    Damn you went there first!  Such a great song that easily overshadows Black, by a mile
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Would imagine the royalties sunk like a rock when people stopped buying CDs etc.

And not like Pearl Jam pushes out their music to commercials (other than River Cross that one time, but people on here said it was a PSA and NOT an ad for Verizon) and movies etc. 

His loft looked nice when he was zooming into that podcast though. Looked cozy.
    To be fair, it’s the Fresno of Texas 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22), New York, NY (9/10), New York, NY (9/11), Camden, NJ (9/14), Denver, CO (9/22)
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Mechanical royalties, yes. But not songwriting royalties. Dave is credited as a writer on a number of the songs from Vs and Vitalogy. The rise of streaming services didn't stop those songs from being played on terrestrial and satellite radio. 

Post edited by heartofadog on
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    There is not, in fact, "zero chance" he's a millionaire. There are plenty of reasons a person harboring a decades-long grudge would sell those tapes. 

There was not a GoFundMe for his daughter. There was a FB "birthday fundraiser" in which he asked folks to contribute, on his birthday, to his daughter's ongoing education. 

That said, being a millionaire and being extremely wealthy are two different things, so absolutely, his life is nowhere near the same as the rest of the guys in the band, but Dave is not broke, has not "been broke for decades." 
    I guess he was wanted for felony manufacturing because chemistry is a hobby of his.