Options

Former drummer Dave Abbruzzese reflects on the tour cancellation

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Is that real? He sounds a bit salty
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Isn't this kind of a self own by Dave? Drummers are easily replaced but bass players aren't?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited May 2022
    JPPJ84 said:
    Is that real? He sounds a bit salty
    Yes. Real. 

i don't know hot to interpret it tbh... or what he is saying here... haha. That Jeff isn't replaceable but any drummer is I am guessing..?

WHY NOT JUST CALL PAUL MCCARTNEY. HE'S A JOLLY FELLOW
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Yeah, exactly what he is saying is unclear but it's hard to imagine it isn't very, very salty. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah, exactly what he is saying is unclear but it's hard to imagine it isn't very, very salty. 
    So it's that meme with the old lady and the popsicle?
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    It’s exactly why PJ wouldn’t have called him up in the first place to fill in 
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,750
    I'm calling BS on this whole deal.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I think what he is saying is pretty clear....why is it ok to replace the drummer and not the bass player?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    The relentless swede 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,206
    I knew you would be right on top of this. Still think the guys should call him for drums? Yeah right
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Still think the guys should call him for drums?
    Ofc. 

But I also think Noel and Liam should tour as Oasis again.
    And I kind of get Ross reasoning about them being on a break.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think what he is saying is pretty clear....why is it ok to replace the drummer and not the bass player?

I think it was about having to replace a drummer AND a bassplayer. More than replacing soley Jeff for some shows.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    Only an asshat would be salty about something that doesn't effect them at all and in a situation where a band tried very hard to ensure shows could continue for their fans.  

Dealing with no drummer and no bassist and ed being sick just got to be too much...understandably so.  They should have invited him to play just to fire him again on stage.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506

Agree. Not sure why everyone's first reaction is ill intent.  

Seems to me, in a short phrase, he's explaining why he didn't feel comfortable being the one to replace MC more than the 1 fill in - Matt is no more replaceable than Jeff is.  It created a few fun stories, but the fact is, replacing anyone in the band was not a real solution.

Assume positive intent, especially in a relationship that seems to be alright.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,055
    he must be out of storage lockers 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If it’s real, and no matter what he is trying to say as it’s confusing, he is making it about himself and is inserting himself into a PJ issue

releasing a statement like. “As a fan I was as devastated as everyone else at the recent cancellation of the PJ shows.  I wish everyone in the band a full and speedy recovery and hope they can get back on the road soon.”

then it’s kind of hard for the band to just ignore him as he is being genuinely the bigger person.  I don’t get that vibe at all from the statement posted 
  • Options
    If it’s real, and no matter what he is trying to say as it’s confusing, he is making it about himself and is inserting himself into a PJ issue

releasing a statement like. “As a fan I was as devastated as everyone else at the recent cancellation of the PJ shows.  I wish everyone in the band a full and speedy recovery and hope they can get back on the road soon.”

then it’s kind of hard for the band to just ignore him as he is being genuinely the bigger person.  I don’t get that vibe at all from the statement posted 
    well....he does have a PJ connection

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

I think it was about having to replace a drummer AND a bassplayer. More than replacing soley Jeff for some shows.
    I get that....I'm talking from Dave's perspective. Which I also get.

I'm an amateur drummer so part of me believes what PJ did...it really is easier to replace the drummer. If left unannounced there would have been 40% of the concert attendees that had no idea Matt wasn't back there. That same % probably couldn't name more than two band members by name.

• Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    The way people drool over Dave on Facebook is pretty gross. Tagging him all the time and bringing him into every conversation. I find it pretty nauseating. 
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options

I get that....I'm talking from Dave's perspective. Which I also get.

I'm an amateur drummer so part of me believes what PJ did...it really is easier to replace the drummer. If left unannounced there would have been 40% of the concert attendees that had no idea Matt wasn't back there. That same % probably couldn't name more than two band members by name.
    That's the curse of not being the lead singer in a band. Or a guitarist with a top hat or windmilling-ability.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    RiotAct10 said:
    The way people drool over Dave on Facebook is pretty gross. Tagging him all the time and bringing him into every conversation. I find it pretty nauseating. 
    its probably the relentless swede.... slurp slurp
  • Options

Really though no matter what member it is, Covid penetrated the bubble.  Once could be an isolated incident, twice is a pattern plus we have no idea how many members of the crew also have it as they aren’t probably going to release that information to us as they aren’t the front facing public figures. 

It could have just as easily got cancelled if Jeff never tested positive and 20 members of the crew did, so I don’t necessarily buy the argument that one is replaceable but the other isn’t, or if it’s two members positive then you can’t replace both temporarily. 

If it becomes unsafe in their view, that’s it. And maybe that threshold was reached 

• Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,040
    He’s a dick. End of story. 
  • Options
    KM73780 said:
    One mans dick is another mans cheeky. 
  • Options
    KM73780 said:
    One mans dick is another mans cheeky. 
    That sounds really dirty, reading it just right 😂
  • Options
    Almost 30 years of Dave being salty and we are supposed to give him the benefit of some imaginary doubt here that this wasn't salty? 

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    I think most bands would have cancelled if more than one member tested positive and couldn't play. I guess they figured out what was possible to "get through" and what wasn't. Would they have cancelled if Jeff got covid first, not sure? We will not know on this leg but we will see what happens in Europe and the 2nd US leg.

• Options
    RiotAct10 said:
    yeah and I think that is what led to the comment....he's getting peppered so much he couldn't resist

• Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    If Jeff would have gotten it first they probably would've tried to find another bass player, and then would've cancelled if Matt then got sick.  I don't think what they did had anything to do with instruments, obviously if Ed had covid first they would've cancelled.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390