Options

Former drummer Dave Abbruzzese reflects on the tour cancellation

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,951
    apirk72 said:
    If Jeff would have gotten it first they probably would've tried to find another bass player, and then would've cancelled if Matt then got sick.  I don't think what they did had anything to do with instruments, obviously if Ed had covid first they would've cancelled.
    disagree....no way they go on stage without Jeff, Mike or Stone
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited May 2022
     :D:D:D:D

This gets more & more comical with every new thread.  
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    🥱😴😴
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    apirk72 said:
    If Jeff would have gotten it first they probably would've tried to find another bass player, and then would've cancelled if Matt then got sick.  I don't think what they did had anything to do with instruments, obviously if Ed had covid first they would've cancelled.
    I agree minus the fact we are two years into cancellations and reschedules.

normally  no, I think in this situation the just might have tried. 

I’m not convinced they would have replaced Matt either under normal circumstances 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    I think what he is saying is pretty clear....why is it ok to replace the drummer and not the bass player?

Well we don't know if MFC is even ready to go.  So can you imagine bringing in an entirely new rhythm section?  That doesn't seem feasible.  Plus, all three of the drummers that played (not the kid and the guy from the audience) had worked with the band before.  So there was at least strong familiarity.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited May 2022
    apirk72 said:
    I would imagine many Metallica fans would have said the same about going on without Lars Ulrich, before they did.

And KISS fans about the band going on without lead singer and founder Paul Stanley, before they did.

I think also the discussion with the band and management has to do with more than just "who will be on stage". There are other factors in play. Like Cropduster touched upon above.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,337
    It's crazy that people actually want this guy back and to see him play with the band. He can get lost.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I think what he is saying is pretty clear....why is it ok to replace the drummer and not the bass player?

Well we don't know if MFC is even ready to go.  So can you imagine bringing in an entirely new rhythm section?  That doesn't seem feasible.  Plus, all three of the drummers that played (not the kid and the guy from the audience) had worked with the band before.  So there was at least strong familiarity.  
    Neil Young loved playing with Jack irons. 

Jack Irons - Drums
    Neil Young - Bass

WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mrussel1 said:

Neil Young loved playing with Jack irons. 

Jack Irons - Drums
    Neil Young - Bass

WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
    Yeah that would have been the most amazing. I was at Oakland and was thinking about NY since he lives close to there.  But there was no way since he won't even tour yet.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    apirk72 said:
    They played without Stone once before. 09/23/02 opening for The Who at the House of Blues for a benefit concert. They did have a cardboard cut-out of Stone on stage though. Of course that was a short set as an opener which is quite different than pulling off a real show without him. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ledbetterman10 said:

Of course that was a short set as an opener which is quite different than pulling off a real show without him. 
    Is it though? With a replacement instead of a cardboard cut out, that is.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10 said:

Of course that was a short set as an opener which is quite different than pulling off a real show without him. 
    Is it though? With a replacement instead of a cardboard cut out, that is.
    No I mean without him or a replacement. Oh I'm of the belief that any of them except Eddie can be replaced for a show or two if COVID forces their hand. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Uhmm Dave eh 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    A few pretty generous readings of this, which tracks with the bizarre obsession some folks have with this dude. The insinuation is pretty clearly that Pearl Jam considers some members irreplaceable, but not their drummer, whomever it may be. It’s an ignorant and petty sentiment, especially considering the situation. Dude is clearly still bitter, nearly 30 years after his firing. Kinda pathetic, in my opinion.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Were Sacto and Vegas added dates or make up dates from 2020? Cause that makes a difference too. I believe the band really wanted to make good for the fans who waited so long and held tickets.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 302
    Were Sacto and Vegas added dates or make up dates from 2020? Cause that makes a difference too. I believe the band really wanted to make good for the fans who waited so long and held tickets.
    They were added dates.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,951
    A few pretty generous readings of this, which tracks with the bizarre obsession some folks have with this dude. The insinuation is pretty clearly that Pearl Jam considers some members irreplaceable, but not their drummer, whomever it may be. It’s an ignorant and petty sentiment, especially considering the situation. Dude is clearly still bitter, nearly 30 years after his firing. Kinda pathetic, in my opinion.
    ignorant and petty but based on reality....I mean he does have a point
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Oh boy, another Dave thread. Some fans are so obsessed with 1992. So weird.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    They never had to fire the bass player, Dave. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    82% of people going to the shows are there for Jeremy, Alive, Black and Evenflow. 

The 8% not "obsessed with 1992" are de facto the outlier. As in, the "weird".
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    82% of people going to the shows are there for Jeremy, Alive, Black and Evenflow. 

You aren’t wrong

I’m weird though. Peak PJ was no code through riot act.

That early stuff I can take or leave.  I appreciate the crowd energy to those songs probably more than the songs themselves.  I rarely sit and listen to the first 3 albums 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    Embarrassing.  He was the drummer for like 10% of the band's career. Outside of a few hold outs on this forum and Dave, I don't think many would even think of him as the associated drummer with Pearl Jam.  It's like getting married young, it not working out and then 30 years later, after an entire lifetime apart, one person still talks badly about the relationship, and one person doesn't doesn't even think about it...at all.  They only time Dave makes it in the media or on socials is to bad mouth the band.  Hard to imagine why they'd rather use literally anyone else to drum than to call him. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Clapper said:
    Embarrassing.  He was the drummer for like 10% of the band's career. Outside of a few hold outs on this forum and Dave, I don't think many would even think of him as the associated drummer with Pearl Jam.  It's like getting married young, it not working out and then 30 years later, after an entire lifetime apart, one person still talks badly about the relationship, and one person doesn't doesn't even think about it...at all.  They only time Dave makes it in the media or on socials is to bad mouth the band.  Hard to imagine why they'd rather use literally anyone else to drum than to call him. 
    This is a great analogy. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    The Dave thing is old man. He fucked up somewhere. The whole band wanted him out. Whatever, who cares. All the Dave fan boys can go cry in a corner. Boo hoo. It was business. If you watch the 1996 Grammy acceptance speech, Stone thanks Dave Abbruzzese while smirking and Mike laughs. The whole band grew to hate him. He was lucky to get the job and he fucked up along the way. Oh well. Sucks to be him. The real question is where would the band be if Soundgarden didn’t break up and Matt Cameron wasn’t available.
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Maybe Dave had tickets to the Sacramento show and drove all the way there to get an afternoon cancellation. He hasn’t worked in forever so money is an issue. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    and he wonders why they don't invite him back for things.  
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    tbergs said:

You aren’t wrong

I’m weird though. Peak PJ was no code through riot act.

That early stuff I can take or leave.  I appreciate the crowd energy to those songs probably more than the songs themselves.  I rarely sit and listen to the first 3 albums 
    The early albums got me into to Pj but the “hits” are like classic rock songs to me. I could go the rest of my life with never hearing Jimi Hendrix again. Not a knock on Jimi. If I would have gone to Fresno and Dave K wouldn’t have drummed on the 10 songs I would have been super disappointed in the show. Call it what you want but it was a greatest hits show. If I never hear Elderly Women again it would be fine with me. They need to play the hits and like the post says, I’m there for the energy those songs bring but also to hear songs I believe to be better like Faithful or Sleight of Hand to name a couple. But Fresno was most likely my last PJ show so at least I got Dave K. Peace. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Clapper said:
    This is a great analogy. 
    If it wasn't for the fact that the person who "doesn't doesn't even think about it... at all" sat at a festival 30 years later about to play a song that person from that young marriage once wrote and acted out some so-so theater about not even remembering the persons name he was once youngly madly marriaged to...

... doesn't really scream all that confidently "doesn't doesn't even think about it". Something petty seem to linger from that thing, an entire lifetime apart that one supposedly doesn't doesn't even think about.

And also. It's a shit analogy. Because no one moves on from that young love. Young love in our formative years is to strong to ever disappear our hearts. Haven't people on here ever read a love story, watched one or listened to one being sung. Get educated.

https://youtu.be/H7e2jLeRDpE
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    Clapper said:
    This is a great analogy. 
    If it wasn't for the fact that the person who "doesn't doesn't even think about it... at all" sat at a festival 30 years later about to play a song that person from that young marriage once wrote and acted out some so-so theater about not even remembering the persons name he was once youngly madly marriaged to...

... doesn't really scream all that confidently "doesn't doesn't even think about it". Something petty seem to linger from that thing, an entire lifetime apart that one supposedly doesn't doesn't even think about.

And also. It's a shit analogy. Because no one moves on from that young love. Young love in our formative years is to strong to ever disappear our hearts. Haven't people on here ever read a love story, watched one or listened to one being sung. Get educated.
    The girls you dated in high school must really appreciate the angry and cryptic posts on their facebook walls 30 years later.  Educate us about the healthy people that can't move on with their lives.  :'(     
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited May 2022
    These threads are gifts that keep on giving.