Too Soon?

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    What I find frustrating is there’s a lot of bands who have been touring non stop over a year without any cancellations. Tool comes to mind. Turnstile, they let fans jump all over the stage and they stage dive, not a single covid cancellation. How is that even possible while some bands can’t play for two straight weeks. Not PJs fault, just frustrating 
    I’d guess they aren’t doing routine, asymptomatic testing
    From things I’ve read, it’s not really up to the band is it?
    Meaning the venues were requiring it? I don’t know. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
    The whole thing makes no sense. People living in fear. The vaccine was supposed to protect you AND others. Now in fact, the vaccine protects you from dying but does not protect from transmitting. PJ has every right to do whatever the fuck they want but sorry, the logic doesn’t make sense at all. I can guarantee you there was at least one fan in Oakland that had covid. Does it matter if Matt had it but had no symptoms?Covid is here forever. Get the vaccine to protect yourself. If you don’t want it, that’s your risk. Three years ago if you got the flu, you didn’t cancel unless of course you were very very sick. Covid has weakened and is is now the flu and science has proven that. But because it’s called covid, everybody freaks out. Time to move on. If you are scared or at risk, take the necessary precautions. Pretty simple.  And masking up 20k people? Many of which are drinking beer??? Yea, that will definitely help..
    You’re less likely to get it and spread it if you’re vaccinated. 
    Tell that to vaccinated Cameron and Ament who hung out in a bubble with only other vaccinated people.  

JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
    The whole thing makes no sense. People living in fear. The vaccine was supposed to protect you AND others. Now in fact, the vaccine protects you from dying but does not protect from transmitting. PJ has every right to do whatever the fuck they want but sorry, the logic doesn’t make sense at all. I can guarantee you there was at least one fan in Oakland that had covid. Does it matter if Matt had it but had no symptoms?Covid is here forever. Get the vaccine to protect yourself. If you don’t want it, that’s your risk. Three years ago if you got the flu, you didn’t cancel unless of course you were very very sick. Covid has weakened and is is now the flu and science has proven that. But because it’s called covid, everybody freaks out. Time to move on. If you are scared or at risk, take the necessary precautions. Pretty simple.  And masking up 20k people? Many of which are drinking beer??? Yea, that will definitely help..
    Tell that to vaccinated Cameron and Ament who hung out in a bubble with only other vaccinated people.  

They probably know a sample size of two doesn’t carry much statistical validity. 
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

Sez u.
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

They probably know a sample size of two doesn’t carry much statistical validity. 
    Okay.   I am not anti-vax but also not blind to see that vaccinated people are getting it and spreading it in large numbers.  Is what it is.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,568
    Besides going out to the club, a concert is about the most likely place for viruses to be flying all over the place. Thinking of the air in those places during those shows makes me sick. Of course people got Covid. Being vaccinated doesn't prevent it. Wearing a mask doesn't prevent, but of course both lessen your odds and increase the likelihood you will have significantly less severe symptoms when you do get it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    tbergs said:
    Besides going out to the club, a concert is about the most likely place for viruses to be flying all over the place. Thinking of the air in those places during those shows makes me sick. Of course people got Covid. Being vaccinated doesn't prevent it. Wearing a mask doesn't prevent, but of course both lessen your odds and increase the likelihood you will have significantly less severe symptoms when you do get it.
    I’m not going to anymore concerts. It’s been a great run!
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

Okay.   I am not anti-vax but also not blind to see that vaccinated people are getting it and spreading it in large numbers.  Is what it is.
    Unvaccinated get it at higher rates than vaccinated. A vaccinated person’s viral load is also high for a shorter amount of time, therefore less likely to spread it. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    mace1229 said:
    PP193448 said:
    Couldn’t they just put Jeff and Matt in some kind of quarantine bubble 6 feet from each other and the other band members on stage, and keep the show moving on??  Oh, wait… they would have to get Mike to stand still… never mind.
    They wouldn’t have to be 6 feet from each other. Matt and Jeff could share 1 bubble and hi five each other all they want.

They need to break out the Spinal Tap pods for future shows. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    edited May 2022
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

Unvaccinated get it at higher rates than vaccinated. A vaccinated person’s viral load is also high for a shorter amount of time, therefore less likely to spread it. 
    This is true.. science is clear. You can't prevent 100% but decreasing spread is how viruses STOP MUTATING! And yes, vax didn't stop anyone from GETTING,  but we all know PLENTY of asymptotic, unvaxxed, carriers who don't test were at these shows. 
    And watch the video sometime of transmission of droplets with regular breathing, talking, then singing.... picture all of that aimed right at a stage....
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

Clearly Oakland pit gave it to Jeff. 

Get rid of the pit? Cue the sobs.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    I echo this. I had the time of my life on Monday. My 21st time seeing the band and gone to 100’s of other shows. But with stripped down production on most shows I’ve been to post lockdown, the clusterfuck that was Wednesday with Sac, and finally the corruption and just total fucking criminal organization that is Ticketmaster, I just can’t support the touring industry any longer. Covid doesn’t scare me. (I believe I have it for a fourth time thanks to Monday) it’s been a great time but like all things it has come to an end. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    PJammin' said:
    tbergs said:
    I echo this. I had the time of my life on Monday. My 21st time seeing the band and gone to 100’s of other shows. But with stripped down production on most shows I’ve been to post lockdown, the clusterfuck that was Wednesday with Sac, and finally the corruption and just total fucking criminal organization that is Ticketmaster, I just can’t support the touring industry any longer. Covid doesn’t scare me. (I believe I have it for a fourth time thanks to Monday) it’s been a great time but like all things it has come to an end. 
    That's nuts.  Four times.  I've never even got a test through all this.   The only times I've felt bad the last two years were the days I got the vaccines.  Been a lucky run it sounds like.  
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

A lot of this is incorrect.  The vax DOES protect you from transmitting, but it depends on WHEN you got it, WHAT variant is out there, and IF you got boosted or not.  

These things are not infallible.  People wearing seatbelts still get killed.  It's not perfect.  But its insane to say, "Seatbelts dont even really protect you"

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Vedd Hedd said:
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

A lot of this is incorrect.  The vax DOES protect you from transmitting, but it depends on WHEN you got it, WHAT variant is out there, and IF you got boosted or not.  

These things are not infallible.  People wearing seatbelts still get killed.  It's not perfect.  But its insane to say, "Seatbelts dont even really protect you"

The science is clear, the vax does reduce Covid spread, yet Trump ruined the country by questioning facts and science. The chart below clearly shows that the vax was extremely effective the first nine months after receiving the vax. Since a strong majority has not been boosted, we see the efficacy slipping the last few months.

• Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    The band won’t face this stuff in Europe unless they enforce their own rules - play unless you feel unwell - not what a swab up your nose says.
  • I have the the virus right now again after getting it right after Thanksgiving last year.  3 out of 4 (all vaxed) in my household got it within a few days, and it definitely has effected us all differently.  
    Vaxed and booster and it still has roughed me up a bit. For the most part, nothing crazy, but I feel like my brain and body aren’t on the same page.  Everything seems tougher. Like I’m stuck in slow motion. I know that there is certainly no way I would be up for playing a concert right now.

Unfortunately this is the new world we are going to be living in.  Going to be lots of start/stops in the future as everyone try’s to navigate the Covid waters.

• MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    tbergs said:
    I wore a mask both nights in Oakland. Never took it off. Never was in a beer line or merch line. It was well fitting as well. Went with 2 different people each night. Both have Covid. I don't. I assume or hope the mask helped. Wish way more people were wearing them. Can't understand why they weren't.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited May 2022
    MD190661 said:
    tbergs said:
    I wore a mask both nights in Oakland. Never took it off. Never was in a beer line or merch line. It was well fitting as well. Went with 2 different people each night. Both have Covid. I don't. I assume or hope the mask helped. Wish way more people were wearing them. Can't understand why they weren't.
    This, so much this ^^.  

2 months after the world first went into lockdown (May 2020), when no one knew whether you could get Covid just from looking at someone the wrong way... our family had to travel to a state that was totally ignoring masking and lockdown. We were so nervous, but for non-covid-related reasons we had N95 masks so we put those on, wiped everything everywhere, but pretty much still got to go food in restaurants, socialized outside with our friends (including eating with no masks but socially distant outside), and we never got it at all, and this was all BEFORE vaccines.  We all got vaxxed, then boosted, as soon as we were allowed to.  Have been to concerts indoors, outdoors, restaurants....  

Being vaxxed has unquestionably helped us avoid Covid because there have been times we know we were in close proximity to people who had it.  But masking consistently and not being in an enclosed place tightly packed with others without our own masks has made a huge difference, it's obvious.  The times we were in busy places with people who didn't mask, many have tested positive not long after.

Even SeaHearNow, since it was the 1st crowded show, I made my daughter and I wear masks outside whenever we were really close to others, like for PJ's set etc.  I know SEVERAL people who got Covid at SHN which was all outdoors, adn that was before Omicron.  So really, KN95 or N95 masks are where it's at. Surgical masks if you can't do the others. Consistently.  That's what audience members can do and should do to stay safe, cuz so many others won't.  (What the band does is a whole different convo because they are in rooms together eating, traveling, etc, so close quarters and sometimes no masks is unavoidable.)

Omicron is a beast, because some of the other families who've been the most careful for 2 yrs, like BEYOND careful, they've gotten it, so it's rough, but  being vaxxed & boosted and masking once someone else in house tests positive helped some in those families avoid it if they hadn't already had too much exposure.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    JR86440 said:
    DEGBTI said:

Less likely means "less likely," not impossible.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    MD190661 said:
    tbergs said:
    Same here.  I went to seven shows.  I was fully and properly masked throughout all seven.  Never took it off.  I was in the pit for two of these shows.  People around me ended up testing positive.  I have not.

At these shows, I was singing along to my heart's content.  I could feel the moist droplets from my singing on the inside of the mask, and the outside of the mask was completely dry.  Masks work.  If you don't believe they do, the next time you're having surgery, put your money where your mouth is and insist that your surgeon go maskless.  (They would never agree to this because of the liability, but still...)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    The crowd is a part of the band's bubble.
    I just wish more fans would have been willing to look a little less rock and roll, and wear a mask to help protect the band, if nothing else.

I have no way of knowing for certain, but I think its highly likely that that Matt and Jeff got it from the mostly unmasked audience.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    Plenty of fans got it from each other at these shows, why think the band would be exempt? They're not that far removed from the crowd that is vigorously spraying droplets in their direction.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    Have vax or negative test proof mandates especially for indoor shows 
    You would pay $50+ more a ticket.
    Better than spending on hotels and flights for shows that don’t happen because of lack of measures.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    https://youtu.be/YmFAduWLrLM

Brand new from Graham Parker.. on this very subject. Take a listen..
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    DEGBTI said:
    DEGBTI said:

You're promoting sick people to go out and infect other people? 

If you're sick, stay the fuck home.  Whether its COVID or a basic cold (for the COVID deniers- no, they're not the same thing you imbeciles).  

bro, calm down. I am not promoting anything, just sparking conversation. Work on your reading comprehension, you sound dumb
    Nah, bro. Your original post is lame AF. You put very little effort into it and it comes across as anti-vax. Try harder next time and make yourself clear. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Tell me another time in America that we politicized a virus.....bottom line is Trumpers won't get vaxed even though he is fully and got them as soon as he could. He lost......get over it snowflakes
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    DEGBTI said:
    DEGBTI said:

You're promoting sick people to go out and infect other people? 

If you're sick, stay the fuck home.  Whether its COVID or a basic cold (for the COVID deniers- no, they're not the same thing you imbeciles).  

bro, calm down. I am not promoting anything, just sparking conversation. Work on your reading comprehension, you sound dumb
    Nah, bro. Your original post is lame AF. You put very little effort into it and it comes across as anti-vax. Try harder next time and make yourself clear. 
    OK stud, first, you seem to be the only one who didn't understand my post. So there's that. Second, I'm not only vaxed, I'm triple vaxed. Third, I promote vaccinations within not only my family but throughout all my friends and work mates. Even had a blowout with my oldest son over him not getting vaxed and we didn't speak for months. So, ya, your wrong again. Last, if you didn't understand where I stood you could had easily asked rather than attacking me with your bs. Typical bully who attacks without putting any effort into clarity, just who you are bro.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    BF25394 said:
    Have vax or negative test proof mandates especially for indoor shows 
    This would be of limited utility as a negative test is not particularly useful since a person can be infected and contagious for days before testing positive.

The best thing that could be done would be for everyone to be properly and fully masked at all times from entering the arena until leaving it, but we cannot enforce that.  We couldn't earlier in the pandemic, and we certainly can't now.  The public will not go for it.
    Not to mention the obvious, you can test for Covid and then get Covid 5 seconds later. People are always like “I tested negative last week” soo stupid 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • sdharv1919sdharv1919 Posts: 27
    This thread is insane.  Masks do nothing unless fitted N95, vax helps symptoms at least for a period of time, it’s now generally the flu for 99% of people.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98
    Alpine Valley 6/27/98
    East Lansing 8/18/98
    Knoxville 9/6/98
    D.C. (Constitution Hall) 9/19/98
    Nobelsville 8/18/00
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Detroit (EV) 6/26/11
    Wrigley 8/22/16
    Wrigley 8/18/18
    Noblesville 8/26/24