Too Soon?

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I think if you are asymptomatic and part of a band you can find a way to play safely.  You can distance on a stage.  You can mask it up and distance when off stage.  

Now, up to the performer though if they want to go on or not.   Just saying if not feeling bad and the performer wants to go they should be allowed to.

We were told masks and social distancing work, right?  
    Not if you test positive.  Postive = quarantine for 5 days or you are putting others at risk. Regardless of symptoms.  Not that it is really enforceable, but that is the recommendation.
    So about 100,000 people have seen PJ in the last two weeks.  Without masks.  Indoors.  Every flight is basically full.   No masks.   The country has completely moved on to the living with Covid stage just like it is the flu.  Everyone knows the risks and they most likely will run into someone with Covid.

So it isn’t safe for Jeff to be on stage 10 feet away from anyone, but okay for the rest of the crowd to be there standing shoulder to shoulder knowing some have it?   Seems a lot hypocritical.

Again, just referring to an asymptomatic/low symptoms Jeff who is personally comfortable playing on stage.  Not trying to say anyone positive should be forced to play.

There’s a difference between not knowing you’re sick and going out in public vs knowing you are and doing it.
    I think we’ll see a change in culture for a while. It used to be some people never call in sick, never take sick days no matter what and was sometimes a badge of honor to always come in to work.  Now people ask why are you here if you just sound congested. 
    I don’t think the majority of people are going to be okay with working next to someone who knows they are sick, in a band or in an office. The people you infect may not be asymptomatic.
    But there is a difference between someone in an office who can work from home for a few days versus a band member who has 15,000 people in town ready to see them, paying for hotel, some flights, etc… I think that is a situation where you play the show if you are comfortable doing so and can socially distance.   Ed played with food poisoning.  It is part of the gig.
    Food poisoning isn’t contagious.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    DEGBTI said:
    I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
    You're promoting sick people to go out and infect other people? 

If you're sick, stay the fuck home.  Whether its COVID or a basic cold (for the COVID deniers- no, they're not the same thing you imbeciles).  

bro, calm down. I am not promoting anything, just sparking conversation. Work on your reading comprehension, you sound dumb
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    It’s unfortunate our republican leaders made a once in a century health crisis a political issue and pissing match over simple and basic steps like wearing a mask. We might have had a show last night and many fewer COVID cases everywhere if this wasn’t the case. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• I tested positive Sunday morning May 8th. I immediately knew Thursday in Oakland would be out for me. I live 2.7 miles away from the Oakland Arena and was crushed. I figured if I was feeling better/testing negative Friday could be a possibility. I set up a video call with my doctor for Friday and morning and she said "It's unclear and uncertain if you can transmit Covid right now but it is very much possible". 

After thinking about it, I decided not to go to Friday's show. I didn't want to give Covid to anyone on earth but I especially didn't want to risk giving Covid to a fellow Pearl Jam fan.  I figured I could go to Sacramento but we all know how that turned out.  At the end of the day we need to take care of one another. If you are sick, stay home.
    Mountain View, California (July 19, 1992), Mountain View, California (November 01, 1992), Mountain View, California (October 02, 1994), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 20, 1996), Santa Cruz, California (November 12, 1997), Oakland, California (November 14, 1997), Oakland, California (November 15, 1997), Oakland, California (November 18, 1997), Sacramento, California (July 16, 1998), Portland, Oregon (July 18, 1998), Mountain View, California (October 31, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Seattle 1 (August 08, 2018), Seattle 2 (August 10, 2018), Ohana 1 (September 26, 2021), Ohana 2 (October 1, 2021), Ohana 3 (October 2, 2021) The Apollo (September 10, 2022), MSG (September 11, 2022). Sacramento (May 13, 2024), Bottlerock (May 25, 2024) 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I think if you are asymptomatic and part of a band you can find a way to play safely.  You can distance on a stage.  You can mask it up and distance when off stage.  

Now, up to the performer though if they want to go on or not.   Just saying if not feeling bad and the performer wants to go they should be allowed to.

Not if you test positive.  Postive = quarantine for 5 days or you are putting others at risk. Regardless of symptoms.  Not that it is really enforceable, but that is the recommendation.
    So about 100,000 people have seen PJ in the last two weeks.  Without masks.  Indoors.  Every flight is basically full.   No masks.   The country has completely moved on to the living with Covid stage just like it is the flu.  Everyone knows the risks and they most likely will run into someone with Covid.

So it isn’t safe for Jeff to be on stage 10 feet away from anyone, but okay for the rest of the crowd to be there standing shoulder to shoulder knowing some have it?   Seems a lot hypocritical.

Again, just referring to an asymptomatic/low symptoms Jeff who is personally comfortable playing on stage.  Not trying to say anyone positive should be forced to play.

There’s a difference between not knowing you’re sick and going out in public vs knowing you are and doing it.
    I think we’ll see a change in culture for a while. It used to be some people never call in sick, never take sick days no matter what and was sometimes a badge of honor to always come in to work.  Now people ask why are you here if you just sound congested. 
    I don’t think the majority of people are going to be okay with working next to someone who knows they are sick, in a band or in an office. The people you infect may not be asymptomatic.
    But there is a difference between someone in an office who can work from home for a few days versus a band member who has 15,000 people in town ready to see them, paying for hotel, some flights, etc… I think that is a situation where you play the show if you are comfortable doing so and can socially distance.   Ed played with food poisoning.  It is part of the gig.

Here's a wild thought - maybe Jeff wasn't comfortable doing so?
    I am reference concerts in general going forward.  Clearly said in every post I have made that it is up to the performer if comfortable.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Correct.  My reference to Ed was just playing shows when not feeling 100%.  I am assuming that you can socially distance and wear a mask and not put people at risk.  At least that is what we have been led to believe.
    MD190661 said:
    It’s unfortunate our republican leaders made a once in a century health crisis a political issue and pissing match over simple and basic steps like wearing a mask. We might have had a show last night and many fewer COVID cases everywhere if this wasn’t the case. 
    Doubtful.  Plenty of vaxed people catching Covid.  
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Who knows if it was food poisoning. Maybe it was the flu. No tests for that. And the flu is contagious. I was told by my supervisor at work to come work the third time I had covid. The difference is we are not millionaires who can miss work and not worry about the financial hole. I know I’m not the only one who was told to come to work with covid. It’s the haves and the have nots. As much as our band wants to pretend they’re not,  they are the haves. We are the have nots. Jeff could have sat on a stool behind the stage and played the bass lines. Something else could have been done but no one cares about the little person anymore. That was made obvious yesterday. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    People need to get boosted.  There is a lot of talk about vaxxed people getting covid, but most of those are either 1 dose people, or 2 doses who never got the booster.  

If you are boosted, your rate of not only catching covid, but getting hospitalized or dying is extremely low.  If more people got boosted, then the virus would have less room to develop variants, which evade vaccines.  

Almost 80% of the US pop has 1 shot.  67% are 2x vaxxed, but only 30% are boosted. 

At some point, once we all have boosters (and a good chunk get a yearly shot, like a flu shot, potentially), this thing is going to just continue and continue, etc. 

And even more importantly...the rest of the world needs the vaccine. It took almost 50 years to drive Polio out of the mainstream.  We have the ability to do this much much quicker....but until more people are boosted, and transmission is extremely low (and resulting hospitalizations is extremely low)....just continue to enjoy the pandemic as much as possible. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    DEGBTI said:
    I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
    You pretty much said the answer yourself. Covid is here to stay. Events will get cancelled. They always have to some degree, but obviously more than usual. That might be based on CDC guidelines or on the artist's own preference, but regardless, that's what's going to happen. You can't expect a very contagious virus that results in a record number of sick people to be introduced into society and for the number of cancellations to stay the same, just as you can't expect the number of people calling out sick for work to stay the same.

The question isn't "how do we prevent cancellations so that we can move forward?," it's "how do we adjust to our new reality of increased cancellations so that we can move forward?"

Part of it should be hotels/airlines/etc. changing their cancellation policies so that people aren't as impacted financially (sounds like this is already happening based on the experiences some shared of Vegas hotels refunding late cancellations). Part of it should be consumers approaching mass events differently, knowing that there is a very real chance that Covid could impact their plans. 

Covid isn't just impacting the music industry. I work as a sports writer, and I'm constantly updating player/team news to reflect athletes who are placed in league protocols and forced to miss games (very important ones, even) due to testing positive for Covid or being a close contact. Hell, sports leagues have developed entirely new injured-list terms and guidelines to reflect the change Covid has brought about.

Difference, of course, is that sports teams can move forward even with a handful of performers out with Covid, while a band probably cannot. That's just reality. No matter how bad we want things to go back to how they used to be, the reality is that just isn't going to happen.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    I’ve had covid 3 times that I know of. I work in a job that has never stopped even one day since this has begun and I interact with the public all day. To be scared of covid like people are without the real science and true numbers of this thing proves the right wing of this country aren’t the only ones feeding misinformation to move an agenda. America is so broken and divided now, that common sense and science have no chance. Obesity, age, vax status all huge factors in hospitalizations and death. But all people care about is the team their on and winning. Not what’s right and wrong. Cloth masks don’t work. They don’t. So why didn’t the government send out free N95 masks to people like testing kits. Because it’s not what’s right. It’s who’s buddy gets the huge contracts to shell shit out. If shows are going to get canceled or postponed every time a band member gets covid from any touring act then the concert industry is going to suffer from half full shows in most markets from peoples fear of traveling for shows that might not happen. Yesterdays shitshow cemented the fact in my brain that I will no longer travel any distance over an hour for any concert ever again. Gas is 6 dollars a gallon here in Fresno. No one is refunding the tank of gas and time I wasted yesterday. 
    The only team I'm on is Team Public Health.  As I said in another thread, as a great man has sung many times, "I ain't no Democrat/Sure as fuck ain't no Republican either."  It is very irritating when people suggest that people taking responsible precautions to protect themselves and other people is some kind of political statement.  Usually, when someone says that, they are the one making the political statement.

Obesity is indeed a factor in COVID outcomes.  78 percent of deaths (as of a few weeks ago) were of overweight or obese Americans.  Unfortunately, 70 percent of the population is overweight or obese, and that's not going to change any time soon, so recognizing that being overweight or obese is a risk factor really doesn't get us very far.

Anyway, I just heard there's a confirmed case of monkey pox in the U.S., so move over, COVID! 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    edited May 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

It is very contagious, but it is not airborne. Edit, infected person can cough and spray virus on surfaces where someone else can get infected.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    MD190661 said:
    This statement is funny. I'm assuming it is sarcasm.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Who knows if it was food poisoning. Maybe it was the flu. No tests for that. And the flu is contagious. I was told by my supervisor at work to come work the third time I had covid. The difference is we are not millionaires who can miss work and not worry about the financial hole. I know I’m not the only one who was told to come to work with covid. It’s the haves and the have nots. As much as our band wants to pretend they’re not,  they are the haves. We are the have nots. Jeff could have sat on a stool behind the stage and played the bass lines. Something else could have been done but no one cares about the little person anymore. That was made obvious yesterday. 
    Influenza is a respiratory disease.  It does not cause gastrointestinal symptoms.  When people say they have the "stomach flu," it's a misnomer.  The "stomach flu" is either gastroenteritis or food poisoning; neither is caused by the influenza virus.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Correct.  My reference to Ed was just playing shows when not feeling 100%.  I am assuming that you can socially distance and wear a mask and not put people at risk.  At least that is what we have been led to believe.
    Yes, but if you’re argument is “If Ed can do it with food poisoning, why can’t people with mild Covid?” It’s apples and oranges. Ed isn’t going to spread food poisoning by playing. Others with Covid likely will. It’s not just about how you feel. Just because one person feels okay with Covid doesn’t mean the people they spread it to will. Sure, maybe he can stand in the corner of the stage and play. But I don’t see how you can travel to the venue, share a stage, change instruments, travel to a hotel, etc without putting anyone at risk even if your symptoms are only mild.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

I didn’t know he had food poisoning, that’s just what the post said.
    im surprised any work would tell an employee to come in who has tested positive. They shortened the quarantine to 5 days for that reason, that it is difficult for many to take time off work. But it is rare people get it multiple times in a short period of time. Most people can manage 5 sick days a year without being a millionaire.
    I actually see the opposite of your post. More places and jobs are telling people to stay home when they’re sick. It doesn’t help the work place for someone to come in and get everyone else sick, and instead of 1 person being out for 5 days you have multiple people out..
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,924
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Holograms

Holograms can't get sick!

Get well soon, Jeff.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Social distancing and wearing a mask reduces the spread, it does not eliminate it. If you test positive you quarantine.  Jeff could (and would) not say no worries, I will just keep 6 feet away from everyone and continue to play while having COVID. I cannot see any of the band members or their team engaging in that kind of behavior.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

You have no way of knowing that. Jeff might have been very ill, Covid affects everyone differently.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,456
    Jesus christ I can't believe some of the shit some people come up with.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • curleybarneycurleybarney Posts: 199

Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

You have no way of knowing that. Jeff might have been very ill, Covid affects everyone differently.
    Right? Last night I could have given the Boston Puker a run for their money... It's not mild for everyone. 
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,456

Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Right? Last night I could have given the Boston Puker a run for their money... It's not mild for everyone. 
    You must have lost a lot of volume...no one pukes as much as Boston
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • curleybarneycurleybarney Posts: 199
    Yeah, your right... But picturing anyone in the band sitting up there with a bucket... yikes.... "If you're going to spew, spew into this"
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • CC9172CC9172 Posts: 127
    This is a new world with COVID. Every band has to decide how to handle band infections. Individual fans make their own decisions regarding whether they want to be vaccinated or not or whether they want to wear a mask and it seems it doesn't matter anyway because there always will be exposure. Anyone exposed reacts differently to covid, Some are mild, some are deadly. Obviously, the band has decided that they will cancel shows. Respect their decision.  Hopefully, the September tour will be better.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 480
    Stop testing... if you have a fever, stay home.... We have to live with this. everyone will get it 2-3x per year due to the ever changing variants. Vax and boosted does not keep you from getting it.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Exactly. The whole mindset of "never taking a sick day" is done...or at least it *should* be. Nobody wants the germs that "Bob in IT" brought in because his kid got something that spread around his school.

He goes in ...he's touching everything in sight, not washing his hands and using sanitizer...that's just gross.

Take a few days off. It's better to stop the spread than it is to go 25 years without a sick day.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    Get_Right said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Social distancing and wearing a mask reduces the spread, it does not eliminate it. If you test positive you quarantine.  Jeff could (and would) not say no worries, I will just keep 6 feet away from everyone and continue to play while having COVID. I cannot see any of the band members or their team engaging in that kind of behavior.

Luckily, our favorite band isn't that selfish or naive.

Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,870
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

You have had Covid 3x? Maybe your boss thought you were lieing. Do you wear a mask or did you get the very safe vaccine? 
  • GW2553GW2553 Posts: 80
    COVID??  Pffft...I'm already in line for the experimental Monkey Pox vaccine.

davidos said:
    Stop testing... if you have a fever, stay home.... We have to live with this. everyone will get it 2-3x per year due to the ever changing variants. Vax and boosted does not keep you from getting it.
    2-3 times a year for majority of people is doubtful. Once every 2-3 years is portably more likely.
This discussion has been closed.