Too Soon?

DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
edited June 2022 in The Porch
I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,734
    play shows outdoors
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    Have vax or negative test proof mandates especially for indoor shows 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Hire body doubles of band members and backing tracks. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    This would be of limited utility as a negative test is not particularly useful since a person can be infected and contagious for days before testing positive.

The best thing that could be done would be for everyone to be properly and fully masked at all times from entering the arena until leaving it, but we cannot enforce that.  We couldn't earlier in the pandemic, and we certainly can't now.  The public will not go for it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    BF25394 said:
    This would be of limited utility as a negative test is not particularly useful since a person can be infected and contagious for days before testing positive.

The best thing that could be done would be for everyone to be properly and fully masked at all times from entering the arena until leaving it, but we cannot enforce that.  We couldn't earlier in the pandemic, and we certainly can't now.  The public will not go for it.
    Nonetheless it could filter out a good portion of positive cases even if not all of them.  But, it’s moot now.  The tour is done.  At least this leg.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 830
    Honestly, I thought the real reason they added a noted multi-instrumentalist to the band was that he was going to learn a 25 song set on bass, drums, and rhythm guitar just in case, you know, there was such a need for such a thing.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Fully vax and mask for indoor events... It's that simple.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    So never going indoors is the answer? Are we saying bands shouldn’t go to restaurants any more? Or indoor parties? This is America. Vax , testing and mask mandates don’t work because people do not vote for representatives who support that. In fact, you can’t even bring it up in public, because “don’t ruin my day with your politics, go back to the place where politics is allowed to be discussed.” 

The fact is covid is with us and we have a choice, are we going to live our lives or stay home. If we decide to go out in public, we can manage our risk with the vaccine. Or stay home.
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    We are long past mandates happening again at this point.. Whether some might work or not, it's not happening unless something gets dramatically worse. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,633
     it's not happening unless something gets dramatically worse. 
    lol. And even then I have zero faith in the American public to do the right thing. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    Positive test in NY still requires a 5 day quarantine. I believe the same is true in Cali. There has also been a spike in infections since March so the situation has changed in a short time. One can only hope that this variant will run its course and that things will be safer towards the fall.  I did SHN, Ohana, US Grand Prix in Austin (140,000 people on race day), and three nights of MMJ in Chicago last fall and did not catch it.  One soccer carpool and our household all got it a few weeks ago.  The answer to the OPs question is that bands will try to continue but there will be a risk of cancellation due to COVID for the foreseeable future.  And you can get it more than once so you may be in the middle of the Sept leg or the Euro shows and Jeff and Matt could get it again. Positive test requires quarantine so shows could get cancelled. Again.  You pays your money and takes your chances.  
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
     it's not happening unless something gets dramatically worse. 
    lol. And even then I have zero faith in the American public to do the right thing. 
    This 100%
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    Stay home. Lock the doors. Do not interact with anyone. You will be safe forever. Problem solved.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Have outdoor shows?  Shows are not being cancelled because the crowd is catching Covid.  The shows are being cancelled because the band is catching Covid.  Indoor/outdoor Jeff isn’t catching Covid on stage.   

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    edited May 2022
    DEGBTI said:
    I just cant believe what just happened, again! This is not a knock against our favorite band, but a question in general. If Covid is here to stay, and we all can still get it even when vaccinated, then WTF. Ya, I know its less severe if vaccinated, but events will still be cancelled regardless. Meaning, a positive test is grounds for a no-go, even if the person feels 100% fine? Not implying Matt or Jeff feel fine, just a general question. Then how in the ef are we going to move forward? 

Hope all get well soon and thank you for all the effort this tour you have put in for us all! Best band Ever!
    You're promoting sick people to go out and infect other people? 

If you're sick, stay the fuck home.  Whether its COVID or a basic cold (for the COVID deniers- no, they're not the same thing you imbeciles).  

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    I think if you are asymptomatic and part of a band you can find a way to play safely.  You can distance on a stage.  You can mask it up and distance when off stage.  

Now, up to the performer though if they want to go on or not.   Just saying if not feeling bad and the performer wants to go they should be allowed to.

We were told masks and social distancing work, right?  
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    kaw753 said:
    Honestly, I thought the real reason they added a noted multi-instrumentalist to the band was that he was going to learn a 25 song set on bass, drums, and rhythm guitar just in case, you know, there was such a need for such a thing.
    Yes, but how could he play both drums and bass at the same show?
    I think if you are asymptomatic and part of a band you can find a way to play safely.  You can distance on a stage.  You can mask it up and distance when off stage.  

Now, up to the performer though if they want to go on or not.   Just saying if not feeling bad and the performer wants to go they should be allowed to.

Not if you test positive.  Postive = quarantine for 5 days or you are putting others at risk. Regardless of symptoms.  Not that it is really enforceable, but that is the recommendation.
    Get_Right said:

Not if you test positive.  Postive = quarantine for 5 days or you are putting others at risk. Regardless of symptoms.  Not that it is really enforceable, but that is the recommendation.
    So about 100,000 people have seen PJ in the last two weeks.  Without masks.  Indoors.  Every flight is basically full.   No masks.   The country has completely moved on to the living with Covid stage just like it is the flu.  Everyone knows the risks and they most likely will run into someone with Covid.

So it isn’t safe for Jeff to be on stage 10 feet away from anyone, but okay for the rest of the crowd to be there standing shoulder to shoulder knowing some have it?   Seems a lot hypocritical.

Again, just referring to an asymptomatic/low symptoms Jeff who is personally comfortable playing on stage.  Not trying to say anyone positive should be forced to play.

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    I was maskless at SD, LA, Phoenix(GA)....I have been 4 x vax... it's just luck I keep testing negative and yes I test 4-5 days after shows.  That's what all these test kits we get free are for! Use them!!
    Get_Right said:

So about 100,000 people have seen PJ in the last two weeks.  Without masks.  Indoors.  Every flight is basically full.   No masks.   The country has completely moved on to the living with Covid stage just like it is the flu.  Everyone knows the risks and they most likely will run into someone with Covid.

So it isn’t safe for Jeff to be on stage 10 feet away from anyone, but okay for the rest of the crowd to be there standing shoulder to shoulder knowing some have it?   Seems a lot hypocritical.

Again, just referring to an asymptomatic/low symptoms Jeff who is personally comfortable playing on stage.  Not trying to say anyone positive should be forced to play.

Completely hypocritical, I agree.  The country has relaxed for sure and that is why there are more positives, along with a more contagious variant. At the end of the day, it is up to the individuals to get tested and quarantine if positive, regardless of symptoms. To do otherwise is selfish, borderline reckless, and puts others at risk.  Unfortunately, many people are not taking it seriously and that is why we are where we are. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    Get_Right said:

There’s a difference between not knowing you’re sick and going out in public vs knowing you are and doing it.
    I think we’ll see a change in culture for a while. It used to be some people never call in sick, never take sick days no matter what and was sometimes a badge of honor to always come in to work.  Now people ask why are you here if you just sound congested. 
    I don’t think the majority of people are going to be okay with working next to someone who knows they are sick, in a band or in an office. The people you infect may not be asymptomatic.
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

There’s a difference between not knowing you’re sick and going out in public vs knowing you are and doing it.
    I think we’ll see a change in culture for a while. It used to be some people never call in sick, never take sick days no matter what and was sometimes a badge of honor to always come in to work.  Now people ask why are you here if you just sound congested. 
    I don’t think the majority of people are going to be okay with working next to someone who knows they are sick, in a band or in an office. The people you infect may not be asymptomatic.
    But there is a difference between someone in an office who can work from home for a few days versus a band member who has 15,000 people in town ready to see them, paying for hotel, some flights, etc… I think that is a situation where you play the show if you are comfortable doing so and can socially distance.   Ed played with food poisoning.  It is part of the gig.
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    We no longer have any testing requirements or mandatory quarantines in the U.K. - people only really test if relevant for work (eg working with elderly) or if they feel really sick 

Imagine this is how things will go everywhere in the long run
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I’ve had covid 3 times that I know of. I work in a job that has never stopped even one day since this has begun and I interact with the public all day. To be scared of covid like people are without the real science and true numbers of this thing proves the right wing of this country aren’t the only ones feeding misinformation to move an agenda. America is so broken and divided now, that common sense and science have no chance. Obesity, age, vax status all huge factors in hospitalizations and death. But all people care about is the team their on and winning. Not what’s right and wrong. Cloth masks don’t work. They don’t. So why didn’t the government send out free N95 masks to people like testing kits. Because it’s not what’s right. It’s who’s buddy gets the huge contracts to shell shit out. If shows are going to get canceled or postponed every time a band member gets covid from any touring act then the concert industry is going to suffer from half full shows in most markets from peoples fear of traveling for shows that might not happen. Yesterdays shitshow cemented the fact in my brain that I will no longer travel any distance over an hour for any concert ever again. Gas is 6 dollars a gallon here in Fresno. No one is refunding the tank of gas and time I wasted yesterday. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

But there is a difference between someone in an office who can work from home for a few days versus a band member who has 15,000 people in town ready to see them, paying for hotel, some flights, etc… I think that is a situation where you play the show if you are comfortable doing so and can socially distance.   Ed played with food poisoning.  It is part of the gig.
    No. If you test positive you should stay home for a minimum of 5 days. Regardless of your job. You cannot compare food poisoning with COVID. You do not put others at risk when you have food poisoning. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    drfox said:
    We no longer have any testing requirements or mandatory quarantines in the U.K. - people only really test if relevant for work (eg working with elderly) or if they feel really sick 

Imagine this is how things will go everywhere in the long run

Wife works in long term care and still gets tested every single day.   In Canada 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669

I went to both L.A. and Oakland shows.  most people didn't have a mask on, and everyone is singing and shouting and talking so...  I wore my mask at all 4 shows.  I didn't get sick but i also didn't take a test.  I know like a day or two after the L.A. shows lots of people on FB PJ groups were stating they were sick.  It's possible the band members caught covid from the audience members or crew or the venue staff.  we'll never know.
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    mace1229 said:
    Get_Right said:

Here's a wild thought - maybe Jeff wasn't comfortable doing so?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Every indication for years - before the complications of COVID - has been that Jeff isn't thrilled with touring. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.