“PJ Premium” on Ticketmaster?

Comments

• danofundanofun Posts: 985
    Fan 2 Fan is the best thing to happen to the ticketing industry in quite some time and PJ should be commended for their efforts. It echoes the words much younger men echoed from Capital Hill nearly 30 years ago. Fans can only hope other artist choose a similar path and demand a similar program. It's true progress and we thank you!

On the other end of the spectrum, PJ Premium is not the result of scalpers hoarding tickets and driving up the price of second market tickets. PJ Premium is a conscious decision, a collaboration between the artist and the ticket broker. Quality seats variably repriced with the sole intent of maximizing revenue. Some might even call it a side-effect of Green Disease. Nothing but respect for the greatest group of rock band humans this rock has ever known, but what would 1994 Stone say about 2022 PJ Premium?

"Our band, which is determined to keep ticket prices low, will always be in conflict with Ticketmaster."  - Stone Gossard
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I don’t know who Eric Church is but I can’t imagine cancelling a big concert to watch two coaches yell at a bunch of kids to play zone.  
  • So from what I saw on the comments on PJ's Facebook "poster artist word find" post today (cute... not), people waited in the queue after being chosen for the privilege of joining the Verified Fan onsale today, to find tickets ranging from $400, $700, up to $2000 a pop before service fees which according to a Nashville screen shot was $89 FOR THE SERVICE FEE.

THIS IS BULLSHIT. If you don't see it as such, just have your future paychecks direct deposited to Eddie's account for the next calendar year. The band knows this was happening. If future tours are gonna cost me $800 AND UP for a pair, this is my last tour (thank you $130 fan club seats in 2020, what a bargain). 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Even nosebleeds in Denver are $700.   Every ticket is listed as premium now.  Lol
    $795 earlier, $650 the last time I checked. Hopefully they continue to drop. 
    This is TOTALLY FUCKED.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,448
    Oh boy, it’s a never ending discussion. Read some of these threads.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

• I’ll keep my 10club seats in the back…
    Those were $1650 for people later in the queue FYI
    THIS IS FUCKED.

• dfishberg said:
    Wow -- that was BS.  $1K dollar per ticket.  Holding back premium seats while my ten club tickets are in the back. No thanks.  This is really disappointing if it is the new normal.  I love PJ but anyone willing to pay 500-1K per ticket needs their heads examined.
    I agree. This is so fucked up. It's embarrassing. 

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,343
    So from what I saw on the comments on PJ's Facebook "poster artist word find" post today (cute... not), people waited in the queue after being chosen for the privilege of joining the Verified Fan onsale today, to find tickets ranging from $400, $700, up to $2000 a pop before service fees which according to a Nashville screen shot was $89 FOR THE SERVICE FEE.

THIS IS BULLSHIT. If you don't see it as such, just have your future paychecks direct deposited to Eddie's account for the next calendar year. The band knows this was happening. If future tours are gonna cost me $800 AND UP for a pair, this is my last tour (thank you $130 fan club seats in 2020, what a bargain). 
    I'm not denying that anyone else had this experience but I noticed that, with the two shows I bought tickets for today, when I unchecked the PJ Premium box before viewing tickets, the only tickets that subsequently showed up were face value.  I got face value tickets in the same section as the most senior Ten Club seats for both shows.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    danofun said:
    Fan 2 Fan is the best thing to happen to the ticketing industry in quite some time and PJ should be commended for their efforts. It echoes the words much younger men echoed from Capital Hill nearly 30 years ago. Fans can only hope other artist choose a similar path and demand a similar program. It's true progress and we thank you!

On the other end of the spectrum, PJ Premium is not the result of scalpers hoarding tickets and driving up the price of second market tickets. PJ Premium is a conscious decision, a collaboration between the artist and the ticket broker. Quality seats variably repriced with the sole intent of maximizing revenue. Some might even call it a side-effect of Green Disease. Nothing but respect for the greatest group of rock band humans this rock has ever known, but what would 1994 Stone say about 2022 PJ Premium?

"Our band, which is determined to keep ticket prices low, will always be in conflict with Ticketmaster."  - Stone Gossard
    Exactly. I've always had a great deal of respect for the way PJ has handled 10c tickets and ticket sales in general. And even more so for the way they originally handled tickets for the 2020 tour. F2F and the non-transferable policy eliminates the scalping issue for the most part. So they can't use that as an excuse for Premium. If that were the case, they would just be offered in NY and CO. I wouldn't exactly call them "quality seats" either. The TM description (They give fans fair and safe access to some of the best seats in the house.) is laughable when you've got some of the worst seats in the house listed at 5x original cost.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    BF25394 said:
    So from what I saw on the comments on PJ's Facebook "poster artist word find" post today (cute... not), people waited in the queue after being chosen for the privilege of joining the Verified Fan onsale today, to find tickets ranging from $400, $700, up to $2000 a pop before service fees which according to a Nashville screen shot was $89 FOR THE SERVICE FEE.

I'm not denying that anyone else had this experience but I noticed that, with the two shows I bought tickets for today, when I unchecked the PJ Premium box before viewing tickets, the only tickets that subsequently showed up were face value.  I got face value tickets in the same section as the most senior Ten Club seats for both shows.
    I think this is where the confusion lies...the tour announcement contradicts itself by saying the Verified Fan will be the only public sale but then saying there will be premium seats available to the public "at a later date." It sounds like people who got in through Verified Fan were presented with both options. What a colossal clusterfuck.
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    I don’t know who Eric Church is but I can’t imagine cancelling a big concert to watch two coaches yell at a bunch of kids to play zone.  
    Huge country artist 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • jiammm14jiammm14 Posts: 42
    JBob87 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JBob87 said:
    Man if this is the new normal for 10c, pretty disappointing...long long time members in the last row of seats, most 10c members in the back of the 200s...and tickets in the 100s for almost a grand.

I know it's TM and not the band but this is really demoralizing. 
    Doesn't happen without the band's approval, and TM certainly couldn't call them PJ Premium if PJ wasn't willing and onboard. 
    No doubt...not absolving the band of all blame here, but just pointing out that there is almost no way around this for TM/Livenation venues these days. Every show I have gone to has had this in place. Really sucks that it has invaded PJ now too. And it's the cherry on top that it is coming at the expense of 10c.
    The pain of evolution baby. Corporate greed, pointing fingers…the little guys pay. Concerts were never priced for exclusive elite, but that’s how it is now. Most definitely signed sealed and delivered by all. 
    jiammm14 said:
    JBob87 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JBob87 said:
    Man if this is the new normal for 10c, pretty disappointing...long long time members in the last row of seats, most 10c members in the back of the 200s...and tickets in the 100s for almost a grand.

Doesn't happen without the band's approval, and TM certainly couldn't call them PJ Premium if PJ wasn't willing and onboard. 
    No doubt...not absolving the band of all blame here, but just pointing out that there is almost no way around this for TM/Livenation venues these days. Every show I have gone to has had this in place. Really sucks that it has invaded PJ now too. And it's the cherry on top that it is coming at the expense of 10c.
    The pain of evolution baby. Corporate greed, pointing fingers…the little guys pay. Concerts were never priced for exclusive elite, but that’s how it is now. Most definitely signed sealed and delivered by all. 
    Two places to really blame for the state of ticket pricing: Broadway and the NBA. 

All sports and concerts followed what Broadway has done with pricing. It’s an evening out that people may do once or twice a year so willing to pay for it

the NBA started the variable pricing based on opponents. Then the NFL followed with that as well as higher pricing 

music industry/ agents/ promoters/ bands followed the trend. 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    JP218404 said:o
    jiammm14 said:
    JBob87 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JBob87 said:

Two places to really blame for the state of ticket pricing: Broadway and the NBA. 

All sports and concerts followed what Broadway has done with pricing. It’s an evening out that people may do once or twice a year so willing to pay for it

the NBA started the variable pricing based on opponents. Then the NFL followed with that as well as higher pricing 

Well in that case, then by all means , charge $950 for a ticket. following what others did it’s very easy for the bands we love to say, “it isn’t me.” 
    But it’s not theater, nor sports. It’s supposed to be rock and roll, no?!?!?!  They sold out , but it’s ok, everyone else is doing it too…

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    JP218404 said:
    JP218404 said:
    This crap could be worst. Look what Eric church just did to his fans

I don’t care how much of a fan you are of the basketball team. To cancel the concert  because of a game? You committed to the show and now you expect your fans to be ok with it? This is a very bad look for him. I would be pissed if it was a show I had tickets to. 
    You could be this guy. Ooph. But I’m guessing he has the scratch to pull that off. Still would be pissed

How is this guy actually still cheering for UNC to win? I hate Duke but I hope they get up 30 in the first half and it's never a game at all and Eric Church has a miserable night.
    jiammm14 said:
    JP218404 said:o
    jiammm14 said:
    JBob87 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JBob87 said:

Well in that case, then by all means , charge $950 for a ticket. following what others did it’s very easy for the bands we love to say, “it isn’t me.” 
    But it’s not theater, nor sports. It’s supposed to be rock and roll, no?!?!?!  They sold out , but it’s ok, everyone else is doing it too…

Not saying it’s right in any way. Just saying it the way all entertainment is now.

and as far as selling out, they get these promoters to hand over 1/2 - 3/4 of the venue to their fan club for the basic price, stopped the scalping situations by no transfers, F2F, etc. every  band should be doing this.  If the payoff is the premium situation so be it. Oh and those will all drop as all the shows come closer and well and extra tix drops at face. 

I give the band massive props to doing what they can for us. 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    JimmyV said:
    I don't know why it bothers me, but that they felt the need to brand it seems icky. It's not Platinum, it's PJ Premium! 

IMHO, this was the biggest mistake they made. Should have just let Ticketmaster call them Platinum. TM is an easy target that takes this abuse every time they sell tickets. Why invite it on the band? Had they been labeled "Platinum" most of the people now calling PJ "greedy" would be accusing Ticketmaster of taking advantage of the band. Instead, it looks like this was PJ's decision.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • pthomnpthomn Posts: 116
    dfishberg said:
    Wow -- that was BS.  $1K dollar per ticket.  Holding back premium seats while my ten club tickets are in the back. No thanks.  This is really disappointing if it is the new normal.  I love PJ but anyone willing to pay 500-1K per ticket needs their heads examined.
    I'm embarrassed to say I got taken for over 1k for one ticket to the Earthlings tour for Beacon. if I waited they were on stub hub for 300 bucks. but TM and Eddie had to get theirs... It was a combo of pandemic, missing out on Fan club seats, not being verified tickets from TM and it was there. the impulse buy of maybe missing out. crazy how it works .
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Posts: 524
    I heard an interesting thought the other day.  We all seem to accept the better seats for sporting events costing more.  Why would concerts be any different?   If charging more helps keep other tickets lower than so be it.
    all? no. i don't go to sporting events any more because the prices are ridiculous. 'concerts'...i'm all set for the most part. if the venue is bigger than about 1000 people, i'm not really interested. absurd pricing and the fact that if i can't SEE the band up close then i can just watch it on youtube makes me say, nope. 
    plus, the only way to make change is by using/not using your wallet. so nothing changes unless the product isn't selling.

"nevermind what they're selling, it's what you're buying"...guy piciotto
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    I don't know why it bothers me, but that they felt the need to brand it seems icky. It's not Platinum, it's PJ Premium! 

IMHO, this was the biggest mistake they made. Should have just let Ticketmaster call them Platinum. TM is an easy target that takes this abuse every time they sell tickets. Why invite it on the band? Had they been labeled "Platinum" most of the people now calling PJ "greedy" would be accusing Ticketmaster of taking advantage of the band. Instead, it looks like this was PJ's decision.
    Because it looks like what it is. Sorry . 
    I’ve been a believer for years , but it’s not just TM. It’s a business, they’re a part of it, and they are getting theirs too. PJ Platinum. 
    And then the loyal are getting stuck in the back rows  anyway. 
    It’s just ironic that some  of their yesteryear songs looked at the greed and politics with disdain. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,427
    pthomn said:
    dfishberg said:
    I'm embarrassed to say I got taken for over 1k for one ticket to the Earthlings tour for Beacon. if I waited they were on stub hub for 300 bucks. but TM and Eddie had to get theirs... It was a combo of pandemic, missing out on Fan club seats, not being verified tickets from TM and it was there. the impulse buy of maybe missing out. crazy how it works .
    This is my biggest issue with these types of dynamically priced tickets aside from the price of course. It plays with fans emotions of getting shut out and the need to buy and secure right away. Sure we are all adults and make these decisions on our own but they do a countdown and live map with dwindling number of seats for a reason. We see the seats disappearing and do not want to miss out and make bad decisions under the gun. 

Some people are ok getting secured seats for a premium price on the day of the sale. Great for them. I feel for those that are maxing their cards and paying for it months later financially. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:

Wouldn’t have mattered.  The exact same threads came up when it was the EV tour and “platinum”

the only difference is with this tour is  PJ specifically said they were doing this to keep fan club tickets prices down/to secure more fan club tickets. So yes it was their decision and most likely a compromise with TM for the fan club tickets.  I bet they now wish they didn’t even try to do that.

People keep calling it capitalism.  It’s not that. It’s a subsidy (handout) to the fan club if we’re being honest. kind of like a how a first class airline ticket subsidises the cost of a coach ticket. Be happy those people are in first class. If they weren’t your airfare would be higher. 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    BF25394 said:

I got face value tickets in VF yesterday as well for Hamilton - great seats. There were premium seats listed but I also checked that box so they didn’t show up for me. I think in the rush to get tickets some people didn’t check the box and the premiums are often the first ones that come up. 
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:

Wouldn’t have mattered.  The exact same threads came up when it was the EV tour and “platinum”

literally no one who is ok with platinum would change their opinion  once it’s called PJ premium, and the reverse is also true.  If you hate Platinum you will also hate PJ premium  

the only difference is with this tour is  PJ specifically said they were doing this to keep fan club tickets prices down/to secure more fan club tickets. So yes it was their decision and most likely a compromise with TM for the fan club tickets.  I bet they now wish they didn’t even try to do that.

People keep calling it capitalism.  It’s not that. It’s a big fat subsidy IE handout to the fan club if we’re being honest. kind of like a how a first class airline ticket subsidises the cost of a coach ticket. Be happy those people are in first class. If they weren’t your airfare would be higher. 

Yeah, I get that there would still be bitching, but the fact that they're called "PJ Premium" makes people blame the band more than the seller, I guess my point is that PJ approved this, but they're not monitoring the prices. It's not like someone in the band is saying, "Floor seats in Nashville? Yeah, $1600 each." I am sure TM has some sort of automated system controlling the prices of these tickets. Rebranding it as something the band is offering makes it sound like the band has some say in what's being charged.

I think your "subsidy" argument is a good one.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

• patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:

PJ was involved in the decision but you are bothered that people may figure that out. "They should have been better at disguising their greed" is an interesting play call.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    pthomn said:
    dfishberg said:
    Huh? In one breath you say you could have waited and got tix much cheaper, then blame Ed/TM for "having to get theirs". Then you listed all the reasons you bought the $1K ticket. People do understand that you don't HAVE to buy tickets, right? 

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:

literally no one who is ok with platinum would change their opinion  once it’s called PJ premium, and the reverse is also true.  If you hate Platinum you will also hate PJ premium  

People keep calling it capitalism.  It’s not that. It’s a big fat subsidy IE handout to the fan club if we’re being honest. kind of like a how a first class airline ticket subsidises the cost of a coach ticket. Be happy those people are in first class. If they weren’t your airfare would be higher. 

Yeah, I get that there would still be bitching, but the fact that they're called "PJ Premium" makes people blame the band more than the seller, I guess my point is that PJ approved this, but they're not monitoring the prices. It's not like someone in the band is saying, "Floor seats in Nashville? Yeah, $1600 each." I am sure TM has some sort of automated system controlling the prices of these tickets. Rebranding it as something the band is offering makes it sound like the band has some say in what's being charged.

TBH I think all the complaints are valid as long as people look at the entire picture.  Picking and choosing one aspect of a larger decision makes it look like something it’s not. 

Yes they are selling tickets at obscene prices, yes they took care of the fan club also.  It’s all connected not two separate things 
    mpedone said:
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:

TBH I think all the complaints are valid as long as people look at the entire picture.  Picking and choosing one aspect of a larger decision makes it look like something it’s not. 

Yes they are selling tickets at obscene prices, yes they took care of the fan club also.  It’s all connected not two separate things 

I think my bigger frustration is reading posts from people who are going onto Ticketmaster today and claiming that all of the seats were $400+ dollars. They see "PJ Premium" and think the whole show was priced like this, when that's not true at all. In fact, the only reason those seats are still available is because of the price. If they were face value, they'd be gone.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,304
    The shittiest argument is : “it’s a concert you don’t have to go” 
  • pthomn said:
    dfishberg said:
    I originally passed on EV tix because I thought they were ridiculously overpriced and really was not impressed by the songs I had heard (Long Way & The Haves) As the show got closer, I started suffering from FOMO, and began watching tickets and prices. They kept coming down, and finally I pulled the trigger on a pair of lowers that ended up being priced at what I would have paid through 10c. A PJ friend who has a 10c number very close to mine (within 250 or so) ended up sitting directly in front of us that night. Seats in the same row as us were priced at $400 more than I paid. This dynamic pricing is garbage.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore