• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,839
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    The defense industry doesn't pay itself.
    I'm not entirely sure what is meant by this comment. 
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
    from letter from an american
     "Putin and his fellow oligarchs have amassed power thanks to the financial laxness of western democracies, which their money has helped to destabilize. With Putin’s attack on the international rule of law today, challenging western nations to stop him, Edward Luce of the Financial Times identified the larger picture: “Cannot be stated strongly enough,” he wrote. “If the west—chiefly America, but also Britain—doesn't burn its financial ties to Russia's oligarchy then Putin will prevail. This means taking on Wall Street, the City, law firms[,] realtors, the prep schools and western laundering outfits.”"

This is one of the reasons I don't think anything will happen.  Regarding your question, should we stand Idly by?  I don't know, which action will cause more longterm worldwide harm for the greater part of humanity?  I wish I was a fortune teller.
    The FT is right here, in that heavy sanctions against individuals is solution that harms Russia severely while keeping our troops off the front line.  Don't forget that Ukraine has a 450k person army that is fully mobilized.  Add that with teh NATO and US support, and Russia trying to take central and West Ukraine will be bloody business.  They may be able to penetrate, but they cannot hold it.  

Regarding the broader point, today:

1. Germany declared it will halt certification of Nord 2.  I said this a month ago, this was a genius play by Biden to mollify the Germans in letting it continue over the summer, and keeping the card in his pocket.  Now we have Germany united with us.  This is huge. 

2. EU council sanctioned 193 persons and 48 entities, including member of the Duma.  Their assets are frozen and cannot travel anywhere in the EU

3. And from the FT regarding sanctions being discussed and likely voted upon today by the EU:

The package discussed in a meeting of EU ambassadors was wider than some officials had expected. The proposals encompass restrictions on the refinancing of Russian government debt and on its central bank, as well as on about 350 members of the Russian Duma, and on individuals and businesses linked to Russian actions in the separatist regions, according to people familiar with the discussions.
    I always love to read what you post, it’s super insightful.

I disagree though and feel that one of the big reasons we’ve gotten to where we are now with Russia and Ukraine was that Germany and Joe Biden indicated that they were just not serious when it came to Nord Stream 2.  

When Joe Biden waived sanctions on it back in May and Germany indicated they were willing to make themselves beholden to Russia for their energy, Vladimir Putin knew that he was being given a green light. He saw weakness and lack of resolve all over the place. 

Had Germany taken this move a week ago, it might have had an effect; it’s questionable what effect it will have now, with Putin’s action already underway and military vehicles and weaponry in place. This all started sliding because Joe Biden waived sanctions on the pipeline in May 2021 despite the U.S.’s long-term opposition to the pipeline. 

Biden made a succession of moves and remarks that emboldened Putin. But Putin also knew based on Barack Obama-Joe Biden’s prior response in 2014, that he would face weakness from Biden. The Democrats had the opportunity to cut the pipeline off once again when Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called for a vote on sanctions last month.  

Instead of standing with U.S. interests and Ukraine, the Democrats not only stood with Putin but they went full-on hypocrite, using the filibuster rule, to kill Cruz’s bill.

I’m hoping this will have an affect, but I really think this is all too late.  Our discussed US sanctions so far have been to impose sanctions on the two territories, but not Russia?  Why is Biden so lax on laying down the hammer on Putin?  Why is he so content on waiting for other powers to do something g and then jump on board, instead of paving the way for serious sanctions?  I hope he blasts Putin where it hurts personally, and we’ll wait to see.
    I disagree, here's why.  

Sanctioning or stopping the pipeline before Russia even made a move towards Ukraine would have been seen as an intrusion on the economic sovereignty of Germany.  This would have walked directly into Putin's trap of splitting the West.  Fundamentally, he needs that to be the case to continue his march west.  

And to what end?  Would Russia have not moved on the border?  Why wouldn't they?  You already played your card and sanctioned them.  Biden played this exactly right.  He allowed the Nord to move forward in the cert process (remember, the pipeline isn't on, and has never been on), so keeping Germany happy.  But as soon as Russia moved the troops, Germany announced with Biden that the cert would stop if they enter Ukraine.  Russia did last night and the certification has stopped.  

I've said this several times.. Russia needs to divide the west.  What he has done, because Biden played the cards right, is to unite the West.  
    Agree somewhat.  I agree we didn’t want to mix things up with us and Getmany.  

I think Biden got punked though. This is not a win in any way shape
    or form.  A win would have been no invasion.  Biden didn’t know what to do, he had no plan and still doesn’t- it worked out the way it did because of his indecision. Putin didn’t even have to fire off a warning shot and he is now firmly in those two territories, simply by recognizing regions of Eastern Ukraine as autonomous, setting up the pretext to move troops over the border as a “peacekeeping force.”  That’s a big win for Putin, and pretty cunning for the KGB man we know and hate who got what he wanted in exchange for the cost nothing more than mobilizing his forces.  

Russia invaded Ukraine when Biden was VP and again once he was Pres.  Strange how someone over in Russia knows when the chances are high for success.

Once Putin takes a third of Ukraine Biden will take credit that it’s only a third.  Hey, at least they didn’t take the whole thing, right?!

meanwhile Taiwan better be getting its funds in order and buying arms and making plans for Japan to aid

How could Biden have prevented an invasion?

You would criticize him if he put troops on the border and also if he gave in to some demand from Putin that kept his troops out.
    It's *almost* as if he's going to be criticized no matter what he does. 
    Well the right wing is tripping over themselves to come up with a coherent criticism.  

1. Biden is too weak to stop Putin
    2. Biden is a war monger
    3. He should have cut off oil/gas sales
    4. The price of gas is going to skyrocket
    5. He should defend our borders 
    6. Why do we care about Ukraine
    7. China is going to take Taiwan now
    Personally I’m annoyed that we aren’t more energy independent.  We should never have slashed the keystone xl.  

not our oil.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
     "Putin and his fellow oligarchs have amassed power thanks to the financial laxness of western democracies, which their money has helped to destabilize. With Putin’s attack on the international rule of law today, challenging western nations to stop him, Edward Luce of the Financial Times identified the larger picture: “Cannot be stated strongly enough,” he wrote. “If the west—chiefly America, but also Britain—doesn't burn its financial ties to Russia's oligarchy then Putin will prevail. This means taking on Wall Street, the City, law firms[,] realtors, the prep schools and western laundering outfits.”"

This is one of the reasons I don't think anything will happen.  Regarding your question, should we stand Idly by?  I don't know, which action will cause more longterm worldwide harm for the greater part of humanity?  I wish I was a fortune teller.
    The FT is right here, in that heavy sanctions against individuals is solution that harms Russia severely while keeping our troops off the front line.  Don't forget that Ukraine has a 450k person army that is fully mobilized.  Add that with teh NATO and US support, and Russia trying to take central and West Ukraine will be bloody business.  They may be able to penetrate, but they cannot hold it.  

1. Germany declared it will halt certification of Nord 2.  I said this a month ago, this was a genius play by Biden to mollify the Germans in letting it continue over the summer, and keeping the card in his pocket.  Now we have Germany united with us.  This is huge. 

2. EU council sanctioned 193 persons and 48 entities, including member of the Duma.  Their assets are frozen and cannot travel anywhere in the EU

3. And from the FT regarding sanctions being discussed and likely voted upon today by the EU:

The package discussed in a meeting of EU ambassadors was wider than some officials had expected. The proposals encompass restrictions on the refinancing of Russian government debt and on its central bank, as well as on about 350 members of the Russian Duma, and on individuals and businesses linked to Russian actions in the separatist regions, according to people familiar with the discussions.

I disagree though and feel that one of the big reasons we’ve gotten to where we are now with Russia and Ukraine was that Germany and Joe Biden indicated that they were just not serious when it came to Nord Stream 2.  

When Joe Biden waived sanctions on it back in May and Germany indicated they were willing to make themselves beholden to Russia for their energy, Vladimir Putin knew that he was being given a green light. He saw weakness and lack of resolve all over the place. 

Had Germany taken this move a week ago, it might have had an effect; it’s questionable what effect it will have now, with Putin’s action already underway and military vehicles and weaponry in place. This all started sliding because Joe Biden waived sanctions on the pipeline in May 2021 despite the U.S.’s long-term opposition to the pipeline. 

Biden made a succession of moves and remarks that emboldened Putin. But Putin also knew based on Barack Obama-Joe Biden’s prior response in 2014, that he would face weakness from Biden. The Democrats had the opportunity to cut the pipeline off once again when Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called for a vote on sanctions last month.  

Instead of standing with U.S. interests and Ukraine, the Democrats not only stood with Putin but they went full-on hypocrite, using the filibuster rule, to kill Cruz’s bill.

I’m hoping this will have an affect, but I really think this is all too late.  Our discussed US sanctions so far have been to impose sanctions on the two territories, but not Russia?  Why is Biden so lax on laying down the hammer on Putin?  Why is he so content on waiting for other powers to do something g and then jump on board, instead of paving the way for serious sanctions?  I hope he blasts Putin where it hurts personally, and we’ll wait to see.
    I disagree, here's why.  

Sanctioning or stopping the pipeline before Russia even made a move towards Ukraine would have been seen as an intrusion on the economic sovereignty of Germany.  This would have walked directly into Putin's trap of splitting the West.  Fundamentally, he needs that to be the case to continue his march west.  

And to what end?  Would Russia have not moved on the border?  Why wouldn't they?  You already played your card and sanctioned them.  Biden played this exactly right.  He allowed the Nord to move forward in the cert process (remember, the pipeline isn't on, and has never been on), so keeping Germany happy.  But as soon as Russia moved the troops, Germany announced with Biden that the cert would stop if they enter Ukraine.  Russia did last night and the certification has stopped.  

I've said this several times.. Russia needs to divide the west.  What he has done, because Biden played the cards right, is to unite the West.  

or form.  A win would have been no invasion.  Biden didn’t know what to do, he had no plan and still doesn’t- it worked out the way it did because of his indecision. Putin didn’t even have to fire off a warning shot and he is now firmly in those two territories, simply by recognizing regions of Eastern Ukraine as autonomous, setting up the pretext to move troops over the border as a “peacekeeping force.”  That’s a big win for Putin, and pretty cunning for the KGB man we know and hate who got what he wanted in exchange for the cost nothing more than mobilizing his forces.  

Russia invaded Ukraine when Biden was VP and again once he was Pres.  Strange how someone over in Russia knows when the chances are high for success.

Once Putin takes a third of Ukraine Biden will take credit that it’s only a third.  Hey, at least they didn’t take the whole thing, right?!

meanwhile Taiwan better be getting its funds in order and buying arms and making plans for Japan to aid

You would criticize him if he put troops on the border and also if he gave in to some demand from Putin that kept his troops out.
    Well the right wing is tripping over themselves to come up with a coherent criticism.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    Personally I’m annoyed that we aren’t more energy independent.  We should never have slashed the keystone xl.  
    Yikes
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,796
    lol ooof geez
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    These are red herrings.  There is absolutely nothing stopping US based oil producers from producing more oil.  Our wells aren't dry.  They chose to shut production down throughout 2020 because oil demand plummeted.  And they have not fully restarted all of these rigs and wells.  Keystone is a political issue, it has zero effect on our ability to produce oil today.  
  • Options
    If anyone had earnest intentions to want a nation to be energy-independent then that person - and nation - should be going above and beyond in terms of source and infrastructure imo.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger

not our oil.
    Obviously and that’s not what I had said (not sure why that matters, it ran from Alberta I think? To Texas) but it would have seriously contributed to our energy supplies
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    LOL...not our energy
    Lol? Why? 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger

not our oil.
    Obviously and that’s not what I had said (not sure why that matters, it ran from Alberta I think? To Texas) but it would have seriously contributed to our energy supplies
    I typed above, but you probably missed it.  There is nothing stopping US oil producers from producing more oil.  They shut down rigs and wells throughout 20/21 because the demand plummeted.  The supply issue is not governmental. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    edited February 2022
    Remember when RUssia was the enemy?

Now the QtRUmplicans led by the likes of the former guy and tuQer Qarlson are tripping all over themselves to defend RUssia and denigrate President Joe Biden.
    ZWho is defending Russia in this? I haven’t heard a single person anywhere, outside of Russia, defend Russia
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    These are red herrings.  There is absolutely nothing stopping US based oil producers from producing more oil.  Our wells aren't dry.  They chose to shut production down throughout 2020 because oil demand plummeted.  And they have not fully restarted all of these rigs and wells.  Keystone is a political issue, it has zero effect on our ability to produce oil today.  
    Sure it does, aren’t they all
    political? You don’t think the left would shut down attempts (by the right of course because the left won’t do it) to dig?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Now the QtRUmplicans led by the likes of the former guy and tuQer Qarlson are tripping all over themselves to defend RUssia and denigrate President Joe Biden.
    ZWho is defending Russia in this?
    Tucker 
    Rod Dreher
    Trump

You want the pro Russia view from an American, read Dreher.  He's not a nobody.  He has been extolling Hungary for a few years and that's what led Tucker there.  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/putin-war-ukraine-russia-ours/

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger

not our oil.

ummm kinda thought independent meant being solely self sufficient and not relying on others for our shit?

besides, arent we already an exporter? suggesting we are energy independent?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger

not our oil.

ummm kinda thought independent meant being solely self sufficient and not relying on others for our shit?

Correct - being the world's #1 producer of oil we could in theory "take care of ourselves". 

Again, if a nation actually cared about being self-sufficient then that would actually mean turning to other sources and changing infrastructure. There is an entire party (and industries) in this country built around not doing so.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    political? You don’t think the left would shut down attempts (by the right of course because the left won’t do it) to dig?
    Sure, but they haven't.  So in the real world, if oil supply is low, there's nothing stopping American producers other than their own economics. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger

not our oil.

Not exactly.

From google:

In spring 2021 imports of Russian oil to the United States in their highest level in a decade, become the second-largest exporter of oil to the US later that year. Across 2021 the US imported between 12 million as 26 million barrels of crude oil and petroleum from Russia every month
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    Sure, but they haven't.  So in the real world, if oil supply is low, there's nothing stopping American producers other than their own economics. 
    So then why are we importing 26 million barrels a month from Russia?
  • Options

West hits back with sanctions as Russia pushes into Ukraine
    By RAF CASERT and AAMER MADHANI
    46 mins ago

BRUSSELS (AP) — Responding swiftly to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s order sending troops to separatist regions of Ukraine, world leaders hit back with non-military actions Tuesday in hopes of averting a full-blown war in Europe.

Germany made the first big move, taking steps to halt certification of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia — a massive, lucrative deal long sought by Moscow but criticized by the U.S. for increasing Europe's reliance on Russian energy supplies.

And in Washington, U.S. President Joe Biden announced financial sanctions as punishment for what he called “the beginning of a Russian invasion of Ukraine.” The sanctions will hit Russian financial institutions and oligarchs. He said the U.S. would impose “full blocking” on two large Russian financial institutions and “comprehensive sanctions” on Russian debt.

continues.....

• Options
    mace1229 said:

ZWho is defending Russia in this? I haven’t heard a single person anywhere, outside of Russia, defend Russia
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I suggest every American who wants to know what’s *actually* going on in Russia and Ukraine, read this transcript of Putin’s address. As I’ve said for month— NATO (under direction from the United States) is violating previous agreements and expanding eastward. WE are at fault. <a href="https://t.co/NDmou8I36H">https://t.co/NDmou8I36H</a></p>&mdash; Candace Owens (@RealCandaceO) <a href="">February 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Options
    One would guess due to our gross domestic reliance on humming our cars. And it's cheaper to be a net-exporter of overall oil where you can buy imported oil cheaper than what you are selling your own oil for overseas. I'm not trying to be a dick, but the same resources needed to try and prove your point (ala google) can also be your friend in asking a rhetorical question which probably has actual answers which may not agree with the rhetoric.

Again, if a country wanted to actually be energy-independent it would mean going beyond oil.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    So then why are we importing 26 million barrels a month from Russia?
    Because US producers aren't doing enough? Our oil supply isn't controlled by the govt. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    I always wondered if we were using up everybody else's oil first so that we could save ours for end times
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    At any rate it's driving things off-topic. I would say if anything this is the kind of distractions Putin wants. I can't stress enough once gas prices spike really soon I hope people hold the line and realize the real reason (that being a power-hungry autocrat that would like to drop bombs on a sovereign nation) for it and not bitching about tHe dEmOnCrAtS
  • Options
    One would guess due to our gross domestic reliance on humming our cars. And it's cheaper to be a net-exporter of overall oil where you can buy imported oil cheaper than what you are selling your own oil for overseas. I'm not trying to be a dick, but the same resources needed to try and prove your point (ala google) can also be your friend in asking a rhetorical question which probably has actual answers which may not agree with the rhetoric.

Again, if a country wanted to actually be energy-independent it would mean going beyond oil.
    You guys are quick to jump on anything someone says in here from an opposing viewpoint- it’s exactly why it’s so slimy in this forum.  Everyone quickly laughed at me until they were shown we import millions of barrels of crude from
    russia every month when they wrongfully assumed I didn’t know what I was talking about.  
    I used google to double check my point, and I stand by my original statement that I would like to see us using our own resources instead of paying Russia every month to fuel their insanity.

do our sanctions involve no longer buying these barrels? Or are we continuing to send Russian companies 30 million a month while sanctioning them?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,051
    edited February 2022
    The world's climate is going to hell

People on a Pearl Jam message board: We should drill for more oil.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

You guys are quick to jump on anything someone says in here from an opposing viewpoint- it’s exactly why it’s so slimy in this forum.  Everyone quickly laughed at me until they were shown we import millions of barrels of crude from
    russia every month when they wrongfully assumed I didn’t know what I was talking about.  
    I used google to double check my point, and I stand by my original statement that I would like to see us using our own resources instead of paying Russia every month to fuel their insanity.

do our sanctions involve no longer buying these barrels? Or are we continuing to send Russian companies 30 million a month while sanctioning them?
    At this point,  I don't believe we have cut that. But we will run those sanctions through the EU and other countries so no one is buying Russian oil.  

I didn't think anyone laughed.  Russia supplies 10% of oil and gas.  The point I was making was that we have no governmental production constraints. So yes,  energy will increase in price during this war. But I don't think that's too much to ask from selfish Americans.  
  • Options
  • Options

Correct. One day if people realize they want to be energy-independent then that means sweeping changes to sources of use, consumption levels, and infra.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554

Remember Eddie flies private and those planes don't  use solar power