Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    Suggest following these people name dropped for coverage:

Nolan Peterson is hands down the best one for overall lay of the land.

But, yeah, this sucks. This is a really big deal and it's shocking how many people either a) don't give a shit or b) have no fucking clue.
    Yes terrible situation major war in mainland Europe should be unthinkable. Could be knock on  issues for lots or Eastern Europe countries even beyond the loss of life in Ukraine 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,766
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This is about to get very ugly. With 75% of Russian forces along Ukraine…. Russia knows no one is going to do anything except sanctions. And he doesn’t care about his people at all
    That's why they sanction the assets of the oligarchs, Dumas members and other political leaders directly.  No it isn't perfect, but it will hurt them personally.  
    It’s clearly been super effective. Again we gave Russia > 4 years to do whatever they wanted so that sucks too.
    I'm talking about forward sanctions.  These are not in place.  

I also think they should be removed from SWIFT if they invade.  That's the international financial clearing house run out of Belgium.  It would effectively cut them off from their cash around the world and ability to sell exports.  It would be devastating.  EU has control of that.  That's the hammer.  

Doesn't Russia provide Europe with a large part of it's fuel needs (and i'm guessing other exports)?  What happens to europe if that stuff turns off?
    Was actually thinking about this yesterday. For all the people who bitch about gas prices (at least in the US), can you imagine once the 2nd largest producer is shut off?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    edited February 2022
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This is about to get very ugly. With 75% of Russian forces along Ukraine…. Russia knows no one is going to do anything except sanctions. And he doesn’t care about his people at all
    That's why they sanction the assets of the oligarchs, Dumas members and other political leaders directly.  No it isn't perfect, but it will hurt them personally.  
    It’s clearly been super effective. Again we gave Russia > 4 years to do whatever they wanted so that sucks too.

I also think they should be removed from SWIFT if they invade.  That's the international financial clearing house run out of Belgium.  It would effectively cut them off from their cash around the world and ability to sell exports.  It would be devastating.  EU has control of that.  That's the hammer.  

Doesn't Russia provide Europe with a large part of it's fuel needs (and i'm guessing other exports)?  What happens to europe if that stuff turns off?
    Was actually thinking about this yesterday. For all the people who bitch about gas prices (at least in the US), can you imagine once the 2nd largest producer is shut off?
    They produce 10% of the petroleum exports.  They also provide Europe with natural gas through the Nord 1 pipeline.  So yes, it will hurt everyone a bit, but no one worse than Russia.  We can't expect no pain in defending a country's right to sovereignty.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    I can't imagine that the Russian troops are very fired up about this. What motivation do they have to kill Ukrainian citizens?

Really bizarre shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

They produce 10% of the petroleum exports.  They also provide Europe with natural gas through the Nord 1 pipeline.  So yes, it will hurt everyone a bit, but no one worse than Russia.  We can't expect no pain in defending a country's right to sovereignty.  
    Oh for sure, I'm not one to give a shit about gas prices. If anything they've been too low for too long.

Regardless, it would absolutely devastate Russia so LFG do it baby.

I still don't rule out an actual war here tho. Russia is the Eric Andre meme shooting Ukraine with the gun while saying "WHY WOUlD UKRAINE DO THIS???"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh for sure, I'm not one to give a shit about gas prices. If anything they've been too low for too long.

I still don't rule out an actual war here tho. Russia is the Eric Andre meme shooting Ukraine with the gun while saying "WHY WOUlD UKRAINE DO THIS???"
    The invasion is starting, but declaring two regions as separatist.  Time to bring the sanctions. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The invasion is starting, but declaring two regions as separatist.  Time to bring the sanctions. 
    That’ll stop them 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That’ll stop them 
    You don't think:

1. eliminating all trade and investments in the two regions
    2. Freezing assets of Putin and his oligarchs individually
    3. Cutting them out of SWIFT

would have any impact on the oligarchs and the broader Russian economy?  If it has no effect, then why is Iran willing to halt their nuclear program for 15 years in exchange for reduced sanctions?  And remember, this is going after individuals connected to the Kremlin.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    An excerpt from Putin's deranged speech today:

As a result of Bolshevik policy, Soviet Ukraine arose, which even today can with good reason be called “Vladimir Ilyich Lenin’s Ukraine.” He is its author and architect. This is fully confirmed by archive documents. . . . And now grateful descendants have demolished monuments to Lenin in Ukraine. This is what they call decommunisation. Do you want decommunisation? Well, that suits us just fine. But it is unnecessary, as they say, to stop halfway. We are ready to show you what real decommunisation means for Ukraine.

This is truly breathtaking, dangerous and borderline insane.  What does "decommunisation" mean for Ukraine?  We can only assume what it has meant for Russia, Crimea, Georgia, Chechnya and Kazak..  It means a country looted and impoverished, while the oligarchs get richer.  It means the ruble falls even further.  Today it's the weakest it's ever been against the dollar (modern times).  The Russian market crashed 11% today and is down 40% since Putin started moving troops.  He is taking his country into the oblivion while trying to undo what he sees as the damage of Minsk and other post Soviet treaties.  It's not that much different than Hitler trying to avenge Versailles. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    So, Russia just officially invaded Ukraine. 2022 is gonna be a hell of a year.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The defense industry doesn't pay itself.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    static111 said:
    I'm not entirely sure what is meant by this comment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Lol.  Now there are 2 break away areas that are pro Russian…

another country getting fucked by western involvement.  This is what happens when actor/comedian and a senile old man get involved…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    So if Putin taket over Donetsk and Luhansk will it be enough or will he continue for the whole country of Ukraine?
    Maybe he has plans to take over the Baltic countries again ? Will he start a world war?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673

Hey, lemme tell ya, the first guy I always turn to to get the straight scoop on them danged pinko commie p.o.s. lib-rye-als is good old Daaaaaaaaaaaaaan O'Donneeeeellllllllllllllllllllll.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    So if Putin taket over Donetsk and Luhansk will it be enough or will he continue for the whole country of Ukraine?
    Maybe he has plans to take over the Baltic countries again ? Will he start a world war?
    After his speech yesterday you would imagine there would be some concern in the former USSR states 
  • Options
    Why are you following the people you follow on Twitter querstionmark   questionmark     questionmark
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    After his speech yesterday you would imagine there would be some concern in the former USSR states 
    Right,  that speech could be directed towards any country that was part of the block. 
  • Options
    Lol.  Now there are 2 break away areas that are pro Russian…

another country getting fucked by western involvement.  This is what happens when actor/comedian and a senile old man get involved…
    Ah yes here it is...

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    do note the olympics are now over.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Why hasn’t Putin retired yet? It seems like he some kind of vampire that lives on forever.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    100%.  No way this was going to happen with the Olympics going on.  Xi made that very clear, I imagine.  They did not want to distract from their showcase (even though the whole thing was a debacle, ironically thanks to the ROC).  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    100%.  No way this was going to happen with the Olympics going on.  Xi made that very clear, I imagine.  They did not want to distract from their showcase (even though the whole thing was a debacle, ironically thanks to the ROC).  

kinda liked having to seek it out instead of being bombarded with it. didnt turn it on once.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111 said:
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Those wanting war with Ukraine will not join or send their kids…because people who want to sacrifice others are cowards.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Those wanting war with Ukraine will not join or send their kids…because people who want to sacrifice others are cowards.  

Thanks, Jack Handy. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks, Jack Handy. 
    lol
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
    from letter from an american
     "Putin and his fellow oligarchs have amassed power thanks to the financial laxness of western democracies, which their money has helped to destabilize. With Putin’s attack on the international rule of law today, challenging western nations to stop him, Edward Luce of the Financial Times identified the larger picture: “Cannot be stated strongly enough,” he wrote. “If the west—chiefly America, but also Britain—doesn't burn its financial ties to Russia's oligarchy then Putin will prevail. This means taking on Wall Street, the City, law firms[,] realtors, the prep schools and western laundering outfits.”"

This is one of the reasons I don't think anything will happen.  Regarding your question, should we stand Idly by?  I don't know, which action will cause more longterm worldwide harm for the greater part of humanity?  I wish I was a fortune teller.
    Scio me nihil scire