Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    The defense industry doesn't pay itself.
    I'm not entirely sure what is meant by this comment. 
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
    from letter from an american
     "Putin and his fellow oligarchs have amassed power thanks to the financial laxness of western democracies, which their money has helped to destabilize. With Putin’s attack on the international rule of law today, challenging western nations to stop him, Edward Luce of the Financial Times identified the larger picture: “Cannot be stated strongly enough,” he wrote. “If the west—chiefly America, but also Britain—doesn't burn its financial ties to Russia's oligarchy then Putin will prevail. This means taking on Wall Street, the City, law firms[,] realtors, the prep schools and western laundering outfits.”"

This is one of the reasons I don't think anything will happen.  Regarding your question, should we stand Idly by?  I don't know, which action will cause more longterm worldwide harm for the greater part of humanity?  I wish I was a fortune teller.
    The FT is right here, in that heavy sanctions against individuals is solution that harms Russia severely while keeping our troops off the front line.  Don't forget that Ukraine has a 450k person army that is fully mobilized.  Add that with teh NATO and US support, and Russia trying to take central and West Ukraine will be bloody business.  They may be able to penetrate, but they cannot hold it.  

Regarding the broader point, today:

1. Germany declared it will halt certification of Nord 2.  I said this a month ago, this was a genius play by Biden to mollify the Germans in letting it continue over the summer, and keeping the card in his pocket.  Now we have Germany united with us.  This is huge. 

2. EU council sanctioned 193 persons and 48 entities, including member of the Duma.  Their assets are frozen and cannot travel anywhere in the EU

3. And from the FT regarding sanctions being discussed and likely voted upon today by the EU:

The package discussed in a meeting of EU ambassadors was wider than some officials had expected. The proposals encompass restrictions on the refinancing of Russian government debt and on its central bank, as well as on about 350 members of the Russian Duma, and on individuals and businesses linked to Russian actions in the separatist regions, according to people familiar with the discussions.
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,782
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    After pulling out of Afghanistan our defense sector is a little adrift. Hopefully the sanctions work.  If not I see the machine trying to whip up the usual patriotic freedom talk fervor until we get to an acceptable level of public opinion to get our armed forces involved and get that defense cash machine cranking back up. 
    but this isn't the US inventing a conflict to further their own agenda. this is all russia. should the world just stand idly by and let putin do whatever he wants?
     "Putin and his fellow oligarchs have amassed power thanks to the financial laxness of western democracies, which their money has helped to destabilize. With Putin’s attack on the international rule of law today, challenging western nations to stop him, Edward Luce of the Financial Times identified the larger picture: “Cannot be stated strongly enough,” he wrote. “If the west—chiefly America, but also Britain—doesn't burn its financial ties to Russia's oligarchy then Putin will prevail. This means taking on Wall Street, the City, law firms[,] realtors, the prep schools and western laundering outfits.”"

This is one of the reasons I don't think anything will happen.  Regarding your question, should we stand Idly by?  I don't know, which action will cause more longterm worldwide harm for the greater part of humanity?  I wish I was a fortune teller.
    The FT is right here, in that heavy sanctions against individuals is solution that harms Russia severely while keeping our troops off the front line.  Don't forget that Ukraine has a 450k person army that is fully mobilized.  Add that with teh NATO and US support, and Russia trying to take central and West Ukraine will be bloody business.  They may be able to penetrate, but they cannot hold it.  

1. Germany declared it will halt certification of Nord 2.  I said this a month ago, this was a genius play by Biden to mollify the Germans in letting it continue over the summer, and keeping the card in his pocket.  Now we have Germany united with us.  This is huge. 

2. EU council sanctioned 193 persons and 48 entities, including member of the Duma.  Their assets are frozen and cannot travel anywhere in the EU

3. And from the FT regarding sanctions being discussed and likely voted upon today by the EU:

The package discussed in a meeting of EU ambassadors was wider than some officials had expected. The proposals encompass restrictions on the refinancing of Russian government debt and on its central bank, as well as on about 350 members of the Russian Duma, and on individuals and businesses linked to Russian actions in the separatist regions, according to people familiar with the discussions.
    Ukraine cannot formally join the EU until like 2030 right?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Ukraine cannot formally join the EU until like 2030 right?
    Is that true?  If so, I didn't know that.  They are considered a partner nation right now, and have not been invited to formally join.  They have corruption issues that need to be worked out. 
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I always love to read what you post, it’s super insightful.

I disagree though and feel that one of the big reasons we’ve gotten to where we are now with Russia and Ukraine was that Germany and Joe Biden indicated that they were just not serious when it came to Nord Stream 2.  

When Joe Biden waived sanctions on it back in May and Germany indicated they were willing to make themselves beholden to Russia for their energy, Vladimir Putin knew that he was being given a green light. He saw weakness and lack of resolve all over the place. 

Had Germany taken this move a week ago, it might have had an effect; it’s questionable what effect it will have now, with Putin’s action already underway and military vehicles and weaponry in place. This all started sliding because Joe Biden waived sanctions on the pipeline in May 2021 despite the U.S.’s long-term opposition to the pipeline. 

Biden made a succession of moves and remarks that emboldened Putin. But Putin also knew based on Barack Obama-Joe Biden’s prior response in 2014, that he would face weakness from Biden. The Democrats had the opportunity to cut the pipeline off once again when Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called for a vote on sanctions last month.  

Instead of standing with U.S. interests and Ukraine, the Democrats not only stood with Putin but they went full-on hypocrite, using the filibuster rule, to kill Cruz’s bill.

I’m hoping this will have an affect, but I really think this is all too late.  Our discussed US sanctions so far have been to impose sanctions on the two territories, but not Russia?  Why is Biden so lax on laying down the hammer on Putin?  Why is he so content on waiting for other powers to do something g and then jump on board, instead of paving the way for serious sanctions?  I hope he blasts Putin where it hurts personally, and we’ll wait to see.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree though and feel that one of the big reasons we’ve gotten to where we are now with Russia and Ukraine was that Germany and Joe Biden indicated that they were just not serious when it came to Nord Stream 2.  

When Joe Biden waived sanctions on it back in May and Germany indicated they were willing to make themselves beholden to Russia for their energy, Vladimir Putin knew that he was being given a green light. He saw weakness and lack of resolve all over the place. 

Had Germany taken this move a week ago, it might have had an effect; it’s questionable what effect it will have now, with Putin’s action already underway and military vehicles and weaponry in place. This all started sliding because Joe Biden waived sanctions on the pipeline in May 2021 despite the U.S.’s long-term opposition to the pipeline. 

Biden made a succession of moves and remarks that emboldened Putin. But Putin also knew based on Barack Obama-Joe Biden’s prior response in 2014, that he would face weakness from Biden. The Democrats had the opportunity to cut the pipeline off once again when Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called for a vote on sanctions last month.  

Instead of standing with U.S. interests and Ukraine, the Democrats not only stood with Putin but they went full-on hypocrite, using the filibuster rule, to kill Cruz’s bill.

I’m hoping this will have an affect, but I really think this is all too late.  Our discussed US sanctions so far have been to impose sanctions on the two territories, but not Russia?  Why is Biden so lax on laying down the hammer on Putin?  Why is he so content on waiting for other powers to do something g and then jump on board, instead of paving the way for serious sanctions?  I hope he blasts Putin where it hurts personally, and we’ll wait to see.
    I disagree, here's why.  

Sanctioning or stopping the pipeline before Russia even made a move towards Ukraine would have been seen as an intrusion on the economic sovereignty of Germany.  This would have walked directly into Putin's trap of splitting the West.  Fundamentally, he needs that to be the case to continue his march west.  

And to what end?  Would Russia have not moved on the border?  Why wouldn't they?  You already played your card and sanctioned them.  Biden played this exactly right.  He allowed the Nord to move forward in the cert process (remember, the pipeline isn't on, and has never been on), so keeping Germany happy.  But as soon as Russia moved the troops, Germany announced with Biden that the cert would stop if they enter Ukraine.  Russia did last night and the certification has stopped.  

I've said this several times.. Russia needs to divide the west.  What he has done, because Biden played the cards right, is to unite the West.  
  • Options
    This is a great speech and love to see the world unite against Russia and its regressive desire for empire.  Thanks for sharing 
  • Options
    Those wanting war with Ukraine will not join or send their kids…because people who want to sacrifice others are cowards.  

Are you talking about Putin?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited February 2022
    Its crazy to me that in 2022, the digital age, a developed country is going to invade another one, just based on flimsy bullshit small-dicked territorial claims.

Very sad.  Small men like Putin should not be in charge.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

Sanctioning or stopping the pipeline before Russia even made a move towards Ukraine would have been seen as an intrusion on the economic sovereignty of Germany.  This would have walked directly into Putin's trap of splitting the West.  Fundamentally, he needs that to be the case to continue his march west.  

And to what end?  Would Russia have not moved on the border?  Why wouldn't they?  You already played your card and sanctioned them.  Biden played this exactly right.  He allowed the Nord to move forward in the cert process (remember, the pipeline isn't on, and has never been on), so keeping Germany happy.  But as soon as Russia moved the troops, Germany announced with Biden that the cert would stop if they enter Ukraine.  Russia did last night and the certification has stopped.  

I've said this several times.. Russia needs to divide the west.  What he has done, because Biden played the cards right, is to unite the West.  
    Agree somewhat.  I agree we didn’t want to mix things up with us and Getmany.  

I think Biden got punked though. This is not a win in any way shape
    or form.  A win would have been no invasion.  Biden didn’t know what to do, he had no plan and still doesn’t- it worked out the way it did because of his indecision. Putin didn’t even have to fire off a warning shot and he is now firmly in those two territories, simply by recognizing regions of Eastern Ukraine as autonomous, setting up the pretext to move troops over the border as a “peacekeeping force.”  That’s a big win for Putin, and pretty cunning for the KGB man we know and hate who got what he wanted in exchange for the cost nothing more than mobilizing his forces.  

Russia invaded Ukraine when Biden was VP and again once he was Pres.  Strange how someone over in Russia knows when the chances are high for success.

Once Putin takes a third of Ukraine Biden will take credit that it’s only a third.  Hey, at least they didn’t take the whole thing, right?!

meanwhile Taiwan better be getting its funds in order and buying arms and making plans for Japan to aid

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

or form.  A win would have been no invasion.  Biden didn’t know what to do, he had no plan and still doesn’t- it worked out the way it did because of his indecision. Putin didn’t even have to fire off a warning shot and he is now firmly in those two territories, simply by recognizing regions of Eastern Ukraine as autonomous, setting up the pretext to move troops over the border as a “peacekeeping force.”  That’s a big win for Putin, and pretty cunning for the KGB man we know and hate who got what he wanted in exchange for the cost nothing more than mobilizing his forces.  

Russia invaded Ukraine when Biden was VP and again once he was Pres.  Strange how someone over in Russia knows when the chances are high for success.

Once Putin takes a third of Ukraine Biden will take credit that it’s only a third.  Hey, at least they didn’t take the whole thing, right?!

meanwhile Taiwan better be getting its funds in order and buying arms and making plans for Japan to aid

Biden didn't get punked.  Putin has been making these moves going back to 2007.  In fact, the Biden administration has be deft to call out potential moves before Russia makes this move.  

So if you agree, somewhat, that encroaching on Germany in the summer could have been a mistake, what is it that you think Biden could have done in 2021 to have prevented this situation?  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

How could Biden have prevented an invasion?

You would criticize him if he put troops on the border and also if he gave in to some demand from Putin that kept his troops out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

You would criticize him if he put troops on the border and also if he gave in to some demand from Putin that kept his troops out.
    It's *almost* as if he's going to be criticized no matter what he does. 
  • Options
    And you can bet Putin wants another tRump in office so he has access to the White House.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    This is about to get very ugly. With 75% of Russian forces along Ukraine…. Russia knows no one is going to do anything except sanctions. And he doesn’t care about his people at all
    That's why they sanction the assets of the oligarchs, Dumas members and other political leaders directly.  No it isn't perfect, but it will hurt them personally.  
    It’s clearly been super effective. Again we gave Russia > 4 years to do whatever they wanted so that sucks too.
    I'm talking about forward sanctions.  These are not in place.  

I also think they should be removed from SWIFT if they invade.  That's the international financial clearing house run out of Belgium.  It would effectively cut them off from their cash around the world and ability to sell exports.  It would be devastating.  EU has control of that.  That's the hammer.  

Doesn't Russia provide Europe with a large part of it's fuel needs (and i'm guessing other exports)?  What happens to europe if that stuff turns off?

hmmm, cut off a major source of legitimate income?

while causing economic issues due to much higher fuel prices in europe?  both sides get f'd.

It reminds me of the legislation Alberta passed to turn off the pipe to BC.   I also felt that was a form of MAD.   Sure we'd be hooped losing a big source of our oil/gas, but the pipeline provides a lot of energy needs for BC and washington state.  Alberta would instantly lose those revenues.  Both sides would be in trouble.
  • Options
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Its crazy to me that in 2022, the digital age, a developed country is going to invade another one, just based on flimsy bullshit small-dicked territorial claims.

Very sad.  Small men like Putin should not be in charge.  
    In 2003, a developed country went and invaded another one, just based on flimsy "daddy will you finally be proud of me if I kill Saddam?" bullshit.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

Well the right wing is tripping over themselves to come up with a coherent criticism.  

1. Biden is too weak to stop Putin
    2. Biden is a war monger
    3. He should have cut off oil/gas sales
    4. The price of gas is going to skyrocket
    5. He should defend our borders 
    6. Why do we care about Ukraine
    7. China is going to take Taiwan now
  • Options
    Let's remember in regards to the US:
    1. Trump when it was finally written on the wall that he was the GOP nominee, that he demanded all platform-related issues in condemning Russia be removed
    2. Trump wanted the US to leave NATO
    3. Punched down on Ukraine in a made-up delusional scheme about servers
    4. This isn't rocket science
  • Options
    Let's remember in regards to the US:
    1. Trump when it was finally written on the wall that he was the GOP nominee, that he demanded all platform-related issues in condemning Russia be removed
    2. Trump wanted the US to leave NATO
    3. Punched down on Ukraine in a made-up delusional scheme about servers
    4. This isn't rocket science
    TFG was literally impeached for extorting the Ukraine by withholding congressional approved aid until they produced incriminating evidence against his opponent that didn't exist, but I'm sure that was just a coincidence. 

Proly. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    why did putin not invade when trump was prez? did he think that a second term was a no brainer?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    why did putin not invade when trump was prez? did he think that a second term was a no brainer?
    I think there could be a number of reasons for that.  

1. He wanted Nord stream to be completed
    2. China may have stopped him
    3. Military wasn't ready
    4. Worried about a spread of Covid in troops in 2020.  Obviously diseases spread rampantly in war. 
    5. Maybe something to do with Trump

Hard to say.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I mean he preceded this action with something during Trump's tenure that I think was absolutely worse than this, and that was his sweeping amendments he put in place. This got like zero play at the time and I'd say is pretty integral to the actions being taken now.

Additionally, I'm sure sowing division when a non-Russian sympathizer is the representation makes for better propaganda down the line. I mean the GOP's best position on this right now is to either dunk on themselves or to do a Fox News pivot to truckers in Canada.
  • Options
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,545
    Remember when RUssia was the enemy?

Now the QtRUmplicans led by the likes of the former guy and tuQer Qarlson are tripping all over themselves to defend RUssia and denigrate President Joe Biden.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

Well the right wing is tripping over themselves to come up with a coherent criticism.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    Personally I’m annoyed that we aren’t more energy independent.  We should never have slashed the keystone xl.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I disagree, here's why.  

2. Biden is a war monger
    Personally I’m annoyed that we aren’t more energy independent.  We should never have slashed the keystone xl.  
    LOL...not our energy