Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    if russia invades, all of the nato countries have to mobilize and fight russia, right? 

is ukraine in nato? or is it just latvia and crimea? i do not remember my specific geography at the moment.

if a nato country is invaded, all other nato countries have to join the fight. that is why nato was formed. to keep other countries from seizing land in the bordering countries.

i think putin would know this, and i doubt he would want to get his country into a war against 29 other countries. he is just trying to see what he can get away with, and is trying to make biden look weak so dems will lose the midterms and then a more russia friendly government will try to allow putin to do whatever he wants.

it is disgusting that the republicans are supporting russia here. fuck all of them.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    if russia invades, all of the nato countries have to mobilize and fight russia, right? 

is ukraine in nato? or is it just latvia and crimea? i do not remember my specific geography at the moment.

if a nato country is invaded, all other nato countries have to join the fight. that is why nato was formed. to keep other countries from seizing land in the bordering countries.

i think putin would know this, and i doubt he would want to get his country into a war against 29 other countries. he is just trying to see what he can get away with, and is trying to make biden look weak so dems will lose the midterms and then a more russia friendly government will try to allow putin to do whatever he wants.

it is disgusting that the republicans are supporting russia here. fuck all of them.
    Ukraine is not in NATO as a member, but has signed substantial cooperation treaties with NATO.  They are considered a partner.  The most germane is the CAP (Comprehensive Assistance Package) signed in 2016.  Remember, the raison d'etre for NATO is to serve as a bulwark against Soviet expansion.  The posture has continued as this particular Russian gov't has tried to reassert the Soviet empire.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Ukraine is not in NATO as a member, but has signed substantial cooperation treaties with NATO.  They are considered a partner.  The most germane is the CAP (Comprehensive Assistance Package) signed in 2016.  Remember, the raison d'etre for NATO is to serve as a bulwark against Soviet expansion.  The posture has continued as this particular Russian gov't has tried to reassert the Soviet empire.  
    that's right. thank you.

putin is wanting to take over land that has many "ethnic russians". kind of like how germany wanted to annex austria due to the highly "ethnic german" population, and the world allowed it to happen. the world did not get involved until they invaded poland.

this is why paying attention to history is important.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202109/1233772.shtml

feel free to post your enlistment papers along with your families…

otherwise only cowherds ask others to do their bidding for them…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Bullshit.  You first went with Ukraine is a NATO member to this bullshit…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

So why are you attacking Sweden for not starting a war against Germany, and sending young boys to die back in WW2?

The Swedes who wanted to fight off Russia and the Nazis in WW2 found a way to do it. 

You sound like one big ol' hypocrite.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You guys wonder why Putin is pissed is quite obvious.  You have kept unnecessary sanctions on Cuba all these years because you did not want Russian weapons and a Russian presence near the US…but your ok with a military buildup including adding former Warsaw Pact countries to nato…

your cult leaders are cowherds..

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Bullshit.  You first went with Ukraine is a NATO member to this bullshit…

Oh yeah genius? Quote me where I said they were a member.  Don't blame me because you can't read for comprehension.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Hey how about you come up with a different argument because there's no draft and this doesn't move the needle. But once again Canadian,  no one is talking about your country,  your blood or your treasure.  North America isn't a country. 

Your argument that this is a European problem is disingenuous because you act like US and Canada act in concert.  And Spiritual_Chaos continues to accurately call out your inconsistent and hypocritical arguments.  Ever since you've been around here you've been a Putin apologist.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,117
    edited January 2022
    But to be honest though,

Canada should rule the US. For the benefit of all. So he has a point there in combining the countries into one.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    i am waiting to see how putin spins the troop buildup. will probably say something like "we need to invade ukraine to protect ourselves". as if ukraine is a threat. 

i can see fox spinning it this way anyway.

it is pretty shitty when fox is in the corner backing russia on this.

• Options
    i am waiting to see how putin spins the troop buildup. will probably say something like "we need to invade ukraine to protect ourselves". as if ukraine is a threat. 

i can see fox spinning it this way anyway.

it is pretty shitty when fox is in the corner backing russia on this.
    Well obviously the military complex in the US has been manipulating Putin to build up so they can have a war.  This whole crisis is because of Raytheon and Northrup.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,117
    edited January 2022
    Girl at McDonalds:
    Hello. Can I take your order?

@Meltdown99
    https://youtu.be/Sj_ficQFz1o

Written for Jack Nicholson level delivery in that video. Truths. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    It's so strange to me that Republicans are backing Russia.  It was the Republicans years ago who were constantly in total paranoia about anything of what was then the USSR.  Anyone who didn't hate Russians was a "pinko" or a "commie".  Anything remotely related to Russia was talked about in the harshest of terms.  Crazy, crazy world.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    maybe try being on the side of peace.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The bottom line is if you are willing to sacrifice other peoples children, then be prepared to sacrifice you and your family…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

NATO chief says no plans to send combat troops to Ukraine if Russia invades

https://www.reuters.com/world/nato-chief-says-no-plans-send-combat-troops-ukraine-if-russia-invades-2022-01-30/?taid=61f6607b3da0720001712290&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

NATO has no plans to deploy combat troops to non-NATO member Ukraine in the event of a Russian invasion, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Sunday.

if they were a NATO country then that changes things. But as of now they are not, they may be someday…but then that will bring more tension…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Which side is that exactly? Who has sent 100k troops to the Ukrainian border? As a great philosopher one said , you can't take the effect and make it the cause. 
  • Options
    The bottom line is if you are willing to sacrifice other peoples children, then be prepared to sacrifice you and your family…

You are fully prepared to sacrifice Ukrainians. Guess they aren't as important as North Americans. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Which side is that exactly? Who has sent 100k troops to the Ukrainian border? As a great philosopher one said , you can't take the effect and make it the cause. 
    Well the Ukraine president wants the temps turned down…after he is the leader of Ukraine…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You are fully prepared to sacrifice Ukrainians. Guess they aren't as important as North Americans. 
    Lmfao…that’s weak.  Do better.  I guess other young poor Americans don’t mean anything to you…Ukraine is so important to you that your willing to see other kids sacrificed … you sir are a truly patriotic selfless American.  I salute you.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Why doesn’t Europe send troops first?  It’s their continent?  But even Europe seems to have little interest in a conflict…other than Britain.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Lmfao…that’s weak.  Do better.  I guess other young poor Americans don’t mean anything to you…Ukraine is so important to you that your willing to see other kids sacrificed … you sir are a truly patriotic selfless American.  I salute you.
    That's the natural outcome of your argument. You're so concerned about American soldiers yet you say this is a European problem,  let them fight.  Yet you're no more American than you are European. So your argument makes no sense but you continue to use it.  If my son joined the military then he and I would fully expect him to go.  So try an argument that is cogent. 

And after you do that,  quote me where I said the Ukraine is in NATO. Still waiting for that. 
  • Options
    Why doesn’t Europe send troops first?  It’s their continent?  But even Europe seems to have little interest in a conflict…other than Britain.  
    Why doesn't Canada send troops first? It's their planet.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Wow this thread got hot over the weekend!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,256
    static111 said:
    Unlike Ukraine.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    If Russia invades Ukraine I doubt there is much that can be done…no one is rushing to send troops to reinforce the Ukrainian border…that I am aware of…and when America was bogged down for 20 years in another lost war Russia was building supersonic missiles…and upgrading their military considerably…and Russia will bomb and kill with no regard to civilian life.   It will be bloody and very messy, the west does not have the stomach for that kind of war.

But I think Ukrainian president is a smart guy by trying to turn down the tempature…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If Russia invades Ukraine I doubt there is much that can be done…no one is rushing to send troops to reinforce the Ukrainian border…that I am aware of…and when America was bogged down for 20 years in another lost war Russia was building supersonic missiles…and upgrading their military considerably…and Russia will bomb and kill with no regard to civilian life.   It will be bloody and very messy, the west does not have the stomach for that kind of war.

But I think Ukrainian president is a smart guy by trying to turn down the tempature…
    The first thing that happens is a sanctions bill is signed that will start hitting them economically BEFORE the invasion.  https://www.reuters.com/world/us-senate-close-deal-legislation-sanction-russia-senators-2022-01-30/

If they invade, then you cut them off from SWIFT.  Now I don't know what the rules are for cutting them from that service, but eliminating them from international bank transfers would be devastating financially.  Putin knows this, as do the other Oligarchs. 

And don't forget, for all of those people worried about Germany, the Nord gas line isn't even active yet.  So Germany is not going to lose gas during the winter.  

I don't think this will turn into a hot war.  But passing the sanctions, NATO forces moving, US forces moving, all of these things are important to make Putin back down.  We have offered concessions on some of the military exercises in eastern Europe, but Russia will not dictate who is in NATO and who is not. 
  • Options

BTW - you are misreading Zelensky's statement. Yes, he does want to cool the boil of course.  And he's playing to three audiences; home, the west and to Russia.  But you should watch the ambassador's interview yesterday lest you think Zelensky does not seem them as an imminent threat.  From the article:

Ukraine is asking for both actions - sanctions right now and more after any invasion, Kyiv's ambassador to the United States, Oksana Markarova, said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Markarova downplayed the simmering tensions laid bare on Friday when Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy accused the United States of fueling panic over a possible Russian invasion.

"There is no friction," she said. "We can have difference of opinions" but the United States is Ukraine's strategic partner and friend and relations are at their highest level in decades.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Poncier said:
    static111 said:
    Unlike Ukraine.

lol
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden