Ukraine

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613

Dee has really stepped up to support Ukraine.  Big thumbs up for Dee Snider
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    mrussel1 said:
    I've always found these "rules of war" to be kind of odd. I mean, "sure, invade a country illegally, but do so according to these sets of rules". 
    We're not savages
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2022
    On another note, can someone explain this. lol.

On 11 June 2020, Mike Pompeo and U.S. President Donald Trump announced sanctions on officials and employees, as well as their families, involved in investigating crimes against humanity committed by US armed forces in Afghanistan.[312] This move was widely criticized by human rights groups.[313] 

Oh, you americans. Russia-orange instead of Europe-green.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,167
    tish said:
    My 2022 Swimswear style... 

Awesome 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    tish said:
    My 2022 Swimswear style... 

Hey! You told me in the "Swede in my heart" thread that this was in support of Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    mrussel1 said:
    I've always found these "rules of war" to be kind of odd. I mean, "sure, invade a country illegally, but do so according to these sets of rules". 
    We're not savages
    For everyone, this was tongue in cheek.  War is savagery to start.  

Many are now wondering, how long can the Ukrainian army withstand the Russian invasion? One who knows the Ukrainian army, its commanders and soldiers, more than anyone else, is the Swedish major Roger Djupsjö at the Swedish Armed Forces. For almost a year he trained the Ukrainian security forces on the ground in the country and many of those he met became his friends for life.

- The Morale and will of the Ukraining forces are exceptional. 
    - Russian forces doesn't have the will, and that makes them wary in battle situations
    - The American Javelins and the Swedish/british Robot-57/NLAW anti-tank weapons are great against Russians armed vehicles
    - Different tactic in the west and Russia - in the west units are given more responsibility themselves to solve obstacles, in Russia they are given orders from the top. Which is a less flexible tactic.
    - Military aid must be given. For the Ukrainian people there is not an option to go back to an authorial state.
    - Surprised and not surprised at the same time at how things stand - Ukraina doesn't have the military size to withstand Russia. But at the same time the Ukrainian Generals are educated with the Soviet system and therefore can act with that knowledge. Also, going in with forces as quick as Russia did has cost them. It was a tactical blunder.
    - We can become comfortable with our democracy, take it for granted - Ukraine is dying for democracy

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Biden was asked if Americans should be worried about nuclear war, Biden said “no.”
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Biden was asked if Americans should be worried about nuclear war, Biden said “no.”
    I agree with this statement.  It's posturing by Putin to try to warn the West against helping Ukraine.  But I don't think he's likely to launch a strike, surely not against North America.  So with all of the things happening in the world, a nuclear war is probably not something to worry about.  I would not start digging a shelter. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Of course its a possibility  this  guy is bat shit crazy. A strong possibility 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree with this statement.  It's posturing by Putin to try to warn the West against helping Ukraine.  But I don't think he's likely to launch a strike, surely not against North America.  So with all of the things happening in the world, a nuclear war is probably not something to worry about.  I would not start digging a shelter. 
    I agree.  But hearing it from the president can hopefully settle some people who may have been more concerned about a nuclear strike more  than others…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I don't think anyone has grounds for theorizing about and/or calling it "a strong possibility".
    I don't think anyone has grounds for theorizing about and/or calling it "a strong possibility".
    How isnt  it? He has loads and is backed into a corner. And mad
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Theorizing is all we do here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    he's nowhere near backed into a corner yet. he may be a bit nuts, but he's not stupid. I doubt he's going to off himself just to spite the world. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    edited March 2022

Reading Putin: Unbalanced or cagily preying on West's fears?

By NOMAAN MERCHANT and VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV
     Today
    WASHINGTON (AP) — For two decades, Vladimir Putin has struck rivals as reckless, impulsive. But his behavior in ordering an invasion of Ukraine — and now putting Russia's nuclear forces on high alert — has some in the West questioning whether the Russian president has become dangerously unstable.

continues.....

and its an interesting read....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I can't imagine he'd use nukes. but just the fact that we're talking about it is scary as all hell. 

www.headstonesband.com

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    One question I've, when the Russian army goes in obliterates and brings the Ukrainian cities to ts knees then occupies the country implement the government Russia wants.....WHO 🇷🇺  is going to rebuild Ukraine and its people???

Peace ✌️ 
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

whoa....

Fox News’s Jennifer Griffin fully loses her patience with Fox’s Ukraine punditry  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/28/fox-newss-jennifer-griffin-fully-loses-her-patience-with-foxs-ukraine-punditry/ 

Fox News’s Jennifer Griffin fully loses her patience with Fox’s Ukraine punditry By Aaron Blake February 28 at 10:33 AM EST Among the many times in which punditry can go very wrong, few rank as high as wartime. And nothing demonstrates that better than some corners of Fox News right now. Tucker Carlson has spent years suggesting maybe Vladimir Putin isn’t a bad guy. Several of its hosts wagered that the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine was manufactured to distract from the Biden administration’s domestic political issues — right before Russia actually invaded. A number of its pundits and hosts have seen their statements on issues like sanctions contradicted by the network’s actual reporting on the situation. Fox’s Jennifer Griffin seems to have almost completely lost patience with all of it. The Washington Post’s Jeremy Barr reported Friday on how the network’s respected longtime national security correspondent has repeatedly found herself in the position of fact-checking her network’s hosts and pundits. And it continued this weekend, with Griffin apparently becoming even more exasperated. She even went so far as to seemingly question the platform her employer has afforded some fringe figures. Barr last week recounted Griffin’s clashes with hosts of “The Five” who elevated into the manufactured-crisis conspiracy theory (she assured them this was “not some wag-the-dog situation”). When Sean Hannity pinned the blame for the situation on Biden, she assured this was a result of the policies of multiple recent administrations. She pushed back on “Fox & Friends” host Steve Doocy when he declared sanctions had somehow already proved a failure. Her biggest clash came with Harris Faulkner, who tried to end her segment after asserting the Biden administration could’ve done more, only to have Griffin cut in and note that bigger steps would mean bigger provocations of Russia. After Barr’s report, Griffin was asked about it Sunday on Fox’s “Media Buzz.” “I’m here to fact-check facts because I report on facts,” Griffin said. “And my job is to try and figure out the truth as best as I know it. I share those facts internally so that our network can be more accurate. That’s what I’ve always done. “There’s nothing different than what I’ve been doing for the last 26 years working for Fox.” If there’s one thing that’s different, though, it’s the terms in which Griffin is now talking about this. Bookending that appearance were arguably Griffin’s most exasperated fact-checks — not of her network’s hosts, but of the military pundits it has given platforms. On Saturday, retired Brig. Gen. Don Bolduc appeared on Steve Hilton’s show and leaned into more of a military presence. “This is not a time for pause right now,” Bolduc said. “We need to get in there, and we need to help them on the ground. … But we’re just sitting back and we’re not doing anything.” When pressed on exactly what he advocated, Bolduc said he was calling for “indirect fire” and “not boots on the ground, but putting great technical help on the ground.” Soon, Griffin appeared and suggested that Bolduc wasn’t qualified to talk about the things he had been invited to talk about. “I have to respond to something your previous guest, Brigadier General Bolduc, said, because he really was way off the mark in terms of talking about what the U.S. could do on the ground,” she began. She cited the fact that Putin has nuclear weapons, which is “why the U.S. military and NATO do not have troops on the ground inside Ukraine.” She concluded: “Clearly, Brigadier General Bolduc is not a student of history; he’s a politician, he ran for Senate in New Hampshire and failed. He’s not a military strategist, and to suggest that the U.S. would put indirect fire or special operations or CIA on the ground to give Putin any sort of excuse to broaden this conflict is extremely dangerous talk at a time like this.” By Sunday, Griffin appeared after as segment with retired Col. Douglas Macgregor, who went to the opposite extreme. He argued that the United States should “absolutely” just let Putin take what he wants in Ukraine — even calling for lifting sanctions. Macgregor said he was sure that Putin had “no interest in crossing the west” of Ukraine and would settle for the east. He cited Ukraine’s history of corruption and said that “more important, the population there is indistinguishable from [Russia’s]

Griffin came on and declared that she needed to correct Macgregor, “and I’m not sure that 10 minutes is enough time to do so, because there were so many distortions in what he just said.”

continues.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

mickeyrat said:
    whoa....

Fox News’s Jennifer Griffin fully loses her patience with Fox’s Ukraine punditry  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/28/fox-newss-jennifer-griffin-fully-loses-her-patience-with-foxs-ukraine-punditry/ 

Fox News’s Jennifer Griffin fully loses her patience with Fox’s Ukraine punditry By Aaron Blake February 28 at 10:33 AM EST Among the many times in which punditry can go very wrong, few rank as high as wartime. And nothing demonstrates that better than some corners of Fox News right now. Tucker Carlson has spent years suggesting maybe Vladimir Putin isn’t a bad guy. Several of its hosts wagered that the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine was manufactured to distract from the Biden administration’s domestic political issues — right before Russia actually invaded. A number of its pundits and hosts have seen their statements on issues like sanctions contradicted by the network’s actual reporting on the situation. Fox’s Jennifer Griffin seems to have almost completely lost patience with all of it. The Washington Post’s Jeremy Barr reported Friday on how the network’s respected longtime national security correspondent has repeatedly found herself in the position of fact-checking her network’s hosts and pundits. And it continued this weekend, with Griffin apparently becoming even more exasperated. She even went so far as to seemingly question the platform her employer has afforded some fringe figures. Barr last week recounted Griffin’s clashes with hosts of “The Five” who elevated into the manufactured-crisis conspiracy theory (she assured them this was “not some wag-the-dog situation”). When Sean Hannity pinned the blame for the situation on Biden, she assured this was a result of the policies of multiple recent administrations. She pushed back on “Fox & Friends” host Steve Doocy when he declared sanctions had somehow already proved a failure. Her biggest clash came with Harris Faulkner, who tried to end her segment after asserting the Biden administration could’ve done more, only to have Griffin cut in and note that bigger steps would mean bigger provocations of Russia. After Barr’s report, Griffin was asked about it Sunday on Fox’s “Media Buzz.” “I’m here to fact-check facts because I report on facts,” Griffin said. “And my job is to try and figure out the truth as best as I know it. I share those facts internally so that our network can be more accurate. That’s what I’ve always done. “There’s nothing different than what I’ve been doing for the last 26 years working for Fox.” If there’s one thing that’s different, though, it’s the terms in which Griffin is now talking about this. Bookending that appearance were arguably Griffin’s most exasperated fact-checks — not of her network’s hosts, but of the military pundits it has given platforms. On Saturday, retired Brig. Gen. Don Bolduc appeared on Steve Hilton’s show and leaned into more of a military presence. “This is not a time for pause right now,” Bolduc said. “We need to get in there, and we need to help them on the ground. … But we’re just sitting back and we’re not doing anything.” When pressed on exactly what he advocated, Bolduc said he was calling for “indirect fire” and “not boots on the ground, but putting great technical help on the ground.” Soon, Griffin appeared and suggested that Bolduc wasn’t qualified to talk about the things he had been invited to talk about. “I have to respond to something your previous guest, Brigadier General Bolduc, said, because he really was way off the mark in terms of talking about what the U.S. could do on the ground,” she began. She cited the fact that Putin has nuclear weapons, which is “why the U.S. military and NATO do not have troops on the ground inside Ukraine.” She concluded: “Clearly, Brigadier General Bolduc is not a student of history; he’s a politician, he ran for Senate in New Hampshire and failed. He’s not a military strategist, and to suggest that the U.S. would put indirect fire or special operations or CIA on the ground to give Putin any sort of excuse to broaden this conflict is extremely dangerous talk at a time like this.” By Sunday, Griffin appeared after as segment with retired Col. Douglas Macgregor, who went to the opposite extreme. He argued that the United States should “absolutely” just let Putin take what he wants in Ukraine — even calling for lifting sanctions. Macgregor said he was sure that Putin had “no interest in crossing the west” of Ukraine and would settle for the east. He cited Ukraine’s history of corruption and said that “more important, the population there is indistinguishable from [Russia’s]

Griffin came on and declared that she needed to correct Macgregor, “and I’m not sure that 10 minutes is enough time to do so, because there were so many distortions in what he just said.”

continues.....
    how does someone like that work at that network? must be so frustrating to go to work every single day

www.headstonesband.com

It's time for non fighting residents of Kharkov and Kyiv to leave.. These cities are going to be demolished soon. And then this will turn into guerilla warfare very soon, asymmetrical style where it's squads moving through the streets.  This will be the long haul. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    edited March 2022
    I still don't see any upside here at all. Like the short-term and long-term benefits are completely fucked for these idiots. Worst case scenario - sure, take an empty Ukraine, call it Russia or whatever you want to call it. Meld with Belarus, fine. But then you're completely shut off to the rest of the world (albeit with a few shady exceptions), your currency is garbage, and you can no longer trade nor access capital and investments outside of your own country? What's the upside to the filthy rich people there? Zero right? The only upside is Vlad being petulant.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,089
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    I still don't see any upside here at all. Like the short-term and long-term benefits are completely fucked for these idiots. Worst case scenario - sure, take an empty Ukraine, call it Russia or whatever you want to call it. Meld with Belarus, fine. But then you're completely shut off to the rest of the world (albeit with a few shady exceptions), your currency is garbage, and you can no longer trade nor access capital and investments outside of your own country? What's the upside to the filthy rich people there? Zero right? The only upside is Vlad being petulant.
    I definitely don't think he anticipated the response from the world, particularly Germany.