Ukraine

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    edited February 2022
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    This all speaks to a larger conversation when and if this shit dies down - that being a global-wide divesting of all WMDs.
    This all speaks to a larger conversation when and if this shit dies down - that being a global-wide divesting of all WMDs.
    None of these super powers will ever trust the others to completely divest. we're in for the long haul with these weapons being available. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    Did anywhere here Dominick Haseks comments that Russian players contracts with nhl teams should be suspended?  A poster mentioned it earlier.  I shot the idea down myself.  What if said player has ties to Putin?  Would you support a move like that?  
    You know I support anything to take down Ovechkin.  He is a Putin lackey.  I've been on him for years about it.  

I'm not aware of any other players that are close to the Kremlin like he is.  I don't expect Russian players to denounce him.  If they do, God bless them.  But their families are over there and I would understand being silent.  

But no, I don't think Russian players should be suspended.  That's crazy talk.  Half of them have dual citizenship I bet. 
    I shot the idea down as well.  I’ve heard about Ovie being close with Putin.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    If he starts launching nukes then I doubt anyone is safe…mutual destruction.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    edited February 2022
    None of these super powers will ever trust the others to completely divest. we're in for the long haul with these weapons being available. 
    I don't know. I think there's merit to it being something that could happen. But, yeah, there definitely would be a rigid order & process to it. I just don't know how many times you play chicken in times like these waiting for the wrong dipshit with dementia to blink.
    If he starts launching nukes then I doubt anyone is safe…mutual destruction.  
    doing that he'd be assured to basically kill himself and everything he owns and controls. I highly doubt, even with reports of his mental instability, is even close to that point. he just wants us to think he is. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited February 2022
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I would totally believe China, North Korea and Russia if they promised to get rid of their nukes. I mean, as long as they pinky promise and spit before the handshake obviously.
  • The power of money.

I don't blame them though. Everything was going great and then the shit just hits the fan because of Putin's small man syndrome.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    I've always found these "rules of war" to be kind of odd. I mean, "sure, invade a country illegally, but do so according to these sets of rules". 

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    I've always found these "rules of war" to be kind of odd. I mean, "sure, invade a country illegally, but do so according to these sets of rules". 
    We're not savages
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    Same here.  And now he's used a prohibited bomb, but none of the countless countries that are looking to take Russia down can touch him for fear of breaking rules.  It makes no sense to me (someone without a military background).

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    We're not savages
    Maybe...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    edited March 2022
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    We're not savages
    Maybe...

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    ‘Yes, He Would’: Fiona Hill on Putin and Nukes

Putin is trying to take down the entire world order, the veteran Russia watcher said in an interview. But there are ways even ordinary Americans can fight back.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/28/world-war-iii-already-there-00012340
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    The rules make sense for nukes, because we’re just trying to not destroy the entire world. But I agree for everything else, like the type of bullet. I’m sure a soldier getting killed really cares what time of bullet was used.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    mrussel1 said:
    We're not savages
    “There are RULES to modern warfare. We’re not dumb beasts!”

You guys will enjoy this video…

https://youtu.be/ZdM44rovn6c
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mickeyrat said:
    last night. couldnt readily isolate just the opening so ignore after. John shows some great video clips, in particukar of a Ukrainian woman confront a russian soldier...

John Oliver is the best.
  • Did anywhere here Dominick Haseks comments that Russian players contracts with nhl teams should be suspended?  A poster mentioned it earlier.  I shot the idea down myself.  What if said player has ties to Putin?  Would you support a move like that?  
    he was spot on with is critique of ovechkin. he is a putin supporter.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    I don't know. I think there's merit to it being something that could happen. But, yeah, there definitely would be a rigid order & process to it. I just don't know how many times you play chicken in times like these waiting for the wrong dipshit with dementia to blink.

I hope you're right, but I have my doubts.  For me, concern and fear goes back to the 1950's when we were being taught to do this:
    During 1950s Cold War US Children Taught to Duck and Cover  Vintage  Everyday

And now it's 2022 and the threat still looms.
    The only thing I can conclude is that humanity is bat shit crazy.  How else do we explain this behavior?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    Did anywhere here Dominick Haseks comments that Russian players contracts with nhl teams should be suspended?  A poster mentioned it earlier.  I shot the idea down myself.  What if said player has ties to Putin?  Would you support a move like that?  
    he was spot on with is critique of ovechkin. he is a putin supporter.
    Yes, but didn't Hasek's comment talk about Russian players in general, not just Ovie who has been tied to the Kremlin for years?  I couldn't even begin to support suspending all Russian born players.  That's honestly the worst idea in the world.  Didn't we learn anything from WW2?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    This is bad. How can they stop this? 

Russian tank column outside Kyiv 'is 40 miles long' – report

Satellite images taken on Monday show a Russian military convoy north of Kyiv that stretches for about 40 miles (64 km) in an area north-west of Kyiv. It is substantially longer than the 17 miles (27 km) reported earlier in the day, according to the US company Maxar, Reuters reports.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,432
    My 2022 Swimswear style... 

what is with this guy and his gigantic tables?
    The Russian version of the big truck syndrome?
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So the question may soon become.. What escape hatch will the West give Putin to withdraw and save face?   This has to be a topic of conversation between Ukraine, US, Britain, Germany, etc.  This cannot be an unconditional surrender against Putin.  Let him keep the two breakaways?  Let him keep one?  He isn't going to disarm, obviously.  Nor will his demand for Ukraine's military to overtake the political apparatus happen either. 

May be too early to think about it, but I am.  The war isn't going well for them and the economic sanctions are hitting fast. I can't believe they are mostly cutoff from SWIFT.  I thought this would take much longer.  Sberbank is going to fail.  Market was closed today to protect it.  They are literally an international pariah. 

I've heard others suggest the same thing, that the West needs to give Putin a way to save face.  I understand that argument and, considering his power and instability of mind, it's probably for the best.  But a better solution might be for him to be deposed or eliminated in some way by his own people.  He has brought total shame to his people and country.  Much of the world is united against him.  But of course, because of that, the question becomes, how desperate and unstable has he become.

As a side note, I'm a little surprised how relative little traction this event has been gained here on AMT.  The war in Ukraine is the biggest current event to happen in the world in many years and yet only a handful of people post here while other, less pressing issues seem to get equal or greater attention.  Strange and baffling!

how little traction? wtf are you talking about.? created on Jan 25. now on 40 pages with some 1200 plus comments.

seems inordinate amount of traction.

and the world did not stop turning.

NK fired off another hey remember I'm a madman missle , other fucked up important shit is still going on.

why havent we addressed Myanmar? or the other atrocities going on in the world.

in 6 hours last week I woke up to 438 comments here. in SIX HOURS  too little traction.....

I feel like I'm getting my ass chewed. 

What, maybe 10 people posting here and most of the post from about half of those.

Sometime I just feel like fuck this place.  Angry nasty posts and stupid memes.  Fuck it.

mickey loves to chew a good ass. don't take it personally brian. 
    You guys are making me horny. Enough with with the dirty chat :)

OH OH OH OH OH OH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO, BBOY. Love your levelheadedness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    tish said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So the question may soon become.. What escape hatch will the West give Putin to withdraw and save face?   This has to be a topic of conversation between Ukraine, US, Britain, Germany, etc.  This cannot be an unconditional surrender against Putin.  Let him keep the two breakaways?  Let him keep one?  He isn't going to disarm, obviously.  Nor will his demand for Ukraine's military to overtake the political apparatus happen either. 

May be too early to think about it, but I am.  The war isn't going well for them and the economic sanctions are hitting fast. I can't believe they are mostly cutoff from SWIFT.  I thought this would take much longer.  Sberbank is going to fail.  Market was closed today to protect it.  They are literally an international pariah. 

I've heard others suggest the same thing, that the West needs to give Putin a way to save face.  I understand that argument and, considering his power and instability of mind, it's probably for the best.  But a better solution might be for him to be deposed or eliminated in some way by his own people.  He has brought total shame to his people and country.  Much of the world is united against him.  But of course, because of that, the question becomes, how desperate and unstable has he become.

As a side note, I'm a little surprised how relative little traction this event has been gained here on AMT.  The war in Ukraine is the biggest current event to happen in the world in many years and yet only a handful of people post here while other, less pressing issues seem to get equal or greater attention.  Strange and baffling!

how little traction? wtf are you talking about.? created on Jan 25. now on 40 pages with some 1200 plus comments.

seems inordinate amount of traction.

and the world did not stop turning.

NK fired off another hey remember I'm a madman missle , other fucked up important shit is still going on.

why havent we addressed Myanmar? or the other atrocities going on in the world.

in 6 hours last week I woke up to 438 comments here. in SIX HOURS  too little traction.....

I feel like I'm getting my ass chewed. 

What, maybe 10 people posting here and most of the post from about half of those.

Sometime I just feel like fuck this place.  Angry nasty posts and stupid memes.  Fuck it.

mickey loves to chew a good ass. don't take it personally brian. 
    You guys are making me horny. Enough with with the dirty chat :)

OH OH OH OH OH OH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO, BBOY. Love your levelheadedness

hmmm first thought wrong.    
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    this dude is a good follow on adbook or YouTube
    Beau of the Fifth Column

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    broader idea that applies.. 

question was asked several days ago.
    this addresses that question