Ukraine

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,739
    mrussel1 said:
    Norway breaks with tradition - they will also send lethal aid to Ukraine
    Switzerland joins sanctions..

When you've lost the Swiss...

umm yeah....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    bbiggs said:

I hope the west will leave Vlad an exit strategy if things do go real bad…we don’t need Vlad feeling so desperate that he does something even dumber…
    It is too bad the exit strategy can't be taking him out.  The "rules of war" won't be too meaningful if nukes start flying in multiple directions. 

Agreed.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited February 2022

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So the question may soon become.. What escape hatch will the West give Putin to withdraw and save face?   This has to be a topic of conversation between Ukraine, US, Britain, Germany, etc.  This cannot be an unconditional surrender against Putin.  Let him keep the two breakaways?  Let him keep one?  He isn't going to disarm, obviously.  Nor will his demand for Ukraine's military to overtake the political apparatus happen either. 

May be too early to think about it, but I am.  The war isn't going well for them and the economic sanctions are hitting fast. I can't believe they are mostly cutoff from SWIFT.  I thought this would take much longer.  Sberbank is going to fail.  Market was closed today to protect it.  They are literally an international pariah. 
    Do you think giving him the two breakaways would work? I was thinking about that this morning. I bet Putin would claim that as a win but it's obviously not what he originally wanted. 
    I don't know, honestly.  Depends on how desperate he is.  If he is cornered, he could lash out and intensify the war, or he might want to cut his losses and say all he ever wanted was protection on the western flank.  Of course his message that SC posted never says that BS line either.  It's much more imperialistic.  

Unless we think there will be a coup and he is deposed, there has to be an exit ramp for Putin.  Because all the power (read: money) is concentrated into the oligarchs who are close to Putin, and who would be financially and legally devastated if he was deposed, I think a coup is unlikely.  So then what's the next option for Ukraine/West?
    I mean... he/Russia has swung back and forth more than Trump over figuring out a defense. The Defense has been marely freeing two isolated areas. Then freeing the whole of Ukraine from nenoazis. From drugusers. From Ukraine wanting to commit genocide. To now in the UN saying Ukraine was on the way to develop nukes. If I understood the russian delegate correctly. 

The truth is - Putin is 70 year old and want's his legacy to be that he was the one who restored the Russian empire by taking back, at least, Ukraine. 
    Is there any chance his inner circle will take him out?  
    I think it's tough for the reasons I mentioned above.  His inner circle are as corrupt as he is.  If he is taken out, then he will have to be replaced by another corrupt depot.  Otherwise the oligarchs will be in jail or against a wall pretty quickly as well.  

I hope I'm wrong. 
    Ok.  I did not know if these sanctions might be making people close to him nervous.  However, I’m sure Vlad and his inner circle have billions that can’t be touched by sanctions…when this is over or maybe before it’s over, Ukraine should be given NATO membership…I’m not sure if they were offered NATO membership before Russia invaded if that would have stopped the invasion?  And now that NATO countries are supplying weaponry, NATO countries are involved far more than I anticipated…
    They are being personally sanctioned, so money they have in the West is getting frozen.  Additionally, they can't travel to the West as their passports are invalid.  Known family members and children will also be prohibited from attending western schools (which is important to them).  I'm not sure if family will be restricted from travel.  But these oligarchs are being hit.  But if they think they will be at risk in Russia if Putin is deposed, then it's not happening.  If they can protect their assets, remove Putin and get the support of the military, then it could happen.  
    These dictators have amazing survival skills…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    mrussel1 said:
    So the question may soon become.. What escape hatch will the West give Putin to withdraw and save face?   This has to be a topic of conversation between Ukraine, US, Britain, Germany, etc.  This cannot be an unconditional surrender against Putin.  Let him keep the two breakaways?  Let him keep one?  He isn't going to disarm, obviously.  Nor will his demand for Ukraine's military to overtake the political apparatus happen either. 

May be too early to think about it, but I am.  The war isn't going well for them and the economic sanctions are hitting fast. I can't believe they are mostly cutoff from SWIFT.  I thought this would take much longer.  Sberbank is going to fail.  Market was closed today to protect it.  They are literally an international pariah. 
    I think you’re right, but for a different reason. I don’t think they’ll give him an escape plan so Putin can save face, but more realistically what he would agree to. Putin is probably willing to let 100,000 soldiers die before he admits this was a mistake, unless he has a reason to back down. So giving him that reason would be beneficial for everyone, regardless of the fact the world wants his charges with war crimes.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    Haha, Twitter added "Russia State-affiliated media" to her handle.  She didn't put that there.  

Let's see if she has the foresight to resign.  Otherwise this could saddle her career for a long time. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    I think no matter what the repercussions/sanctions going forward for Russia is so fucked that I can see Putin digging his heels in and doing something reeeeeally stupid because there's no way up and out from here.
  • mrussel1 said:
    Haha, Twitter added "Russia State-affiliated media" to her handle.  She didn't put that there.  

Let's see if she has the foresight to resign.  Otherwise this could saddle her career for a long time. 
    She deleted her tweet that made me highlight her employer:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:

She deleted her tweet that made me highlight her employer:

I'm a co-host of two RT shows, but I'm an individual journalist.  Sure.  Read all of her pro-Kremlin tweets too. 
    Did anywhere here Dominick Haseks comments that Russian players contracts with nhl teams should be suspended?  A poster mentioned it earlier.  I shot the idea down myself.  What if said player has ties to Putin?  Would you support a move like that?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • What's an RT show? And I'm surprised you haven't posted links to these shows you co-host.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Did anywhere here Dominick Haseks comments that Russian players contracts with nhl teams should be suspended?  A poster mentioned it earlier.  I shot the idea down myself.  What if said player has ties to Putin?  Would you support a move like that?  
    You know I support anything to take down Ovechkin.  He is a Putin lackey.  I've been on him for years about it.  

I'm not aware of any other players that are close to the Kremlin like he is.  I don't expect Russian players to denounce him.  If they do, God bless them.  But their families are over there and I would understand being silent.  

But no, I don't think Russian players should be suspended.  That's crazy talk.  Half of them have dual citizenship I bet. 
    What's an RT show? And I'm surprised you haven't posted links to these shows you co-host.
    Russia Today, and yeah it's my side hustle. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited February 2022
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • mrussel1 said:
    What's an RT show? And I'm surprised you haven't posted links to these shows you co-host.
    I'm trying to look you up on the "on-air talent" part of RT.com but I'm not finding you......unless you're actually Jessie Ventura....but if that's the case, then why don't I ever see you posting in the WWE thread?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1 said:
    I'm trying to look you up on the "on-air talent" part of RT.com but I'm not finding you......unless you're actually Jessie Ventura....but if that's the case, then why don't I ever see you posting in the WWE thread?
    I thought he was Dennis Miller.
    mrussel1 said:
    I thought he was Dennis Miller.
    FU
    Another big development.  How does Russia continue to support its Naval campaign?  Is Sevastepol now isolated?  They may have so many war ships there already (I think that's their largest naval base) that it may not matter.  But it's pretty great that even Turkey (who is a little shaky on democracy and has serious human rights issues) is on the other side of this too.  Every day something else amazes me and gives me hope for the world. 
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    Ok, at this point, I kinda agree with Razor Ramon above; what's puke-tin going to do, blow up the entire world? he's pretty much all alone in this. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,167
    mrussel1 said:
    You know I support anything to take down Ovechkin.  He is a Putin lackey.  I've been on him for years about it.  

I'm not aware of any other players that are close to the Kremlin like he is.  I don't expect Russian players to denounce him.  If they do, God bless them.  But their families are over there and I would understand being silent.  

But no, I don't think Russian players should be suspended.  That's crazy talk.  Half of them have dual citizenship I bet. 
    Yeah Ovechkin won’t denounce Putin! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    what's puke-tin going to do, blow up the entire world? 
    I'm sure he's considering it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Ok, at this point, I kinda agree with Razor Ramon above; what's puke-tin going to do, blow up the entire world? he's pretty much all alone in this. 
    You're right that he's all alone on this. But I can see this deteriorating to the point where he considers nukes. He expected his powerful army to take over Ukraine in a day or two. That hasn't happened. The Ukrainian president has become the most popular pollical leader in the world. That has to anger Putin. I dunno, I'm not too worried about him here in the U.S. (hence the Razor gif), but I wouldn't want to be Europe right now. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    Ok, at this point, I kinda agree with Razor Ramon above; what's puke-tin going to do, blow up the entire world? he's pretty much all alone in this. 
    You're right that he's all alone on this. But I can see this deteriorating to the point where he considers nukes. He expected his powerful army to take over Ukraine in a day or two. That hasn't happened. The Ukrainian president has become the most popular pollical leader in the world. That has to anger Putin. I dunno, I'm not too worried about him here in the U.S. (hence the Razor gif), but I wouldn't want to be Europe right now
    yeah, agree with that absolutely
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com