Will Pearl Jam join Neil Young in leaving Spotify?

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    OP, this is your best thread yet! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    Neil today: "I sincerely hope that other artists and other record companies will move off the Spotify platform..."

Now, that's a classic dick move.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    In the latest news, Neil Young encourages everyone to move to Mars with him in 2023 because we should not share a planet with Joe Rogan. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • OP, this is your best thread yet! 
    +1
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,171
    He had Sanjay Gupta on specifically to check him on this stuff. I listened to the whole episode and, ironically, Gupta only did ok. But it's not like he's adverse to having someone prominent on to take the other side. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    pjl44 said:
    He had Sanjay Gupta on specifically to check him on this stuff. I listened to the whole episode and, ironically, Gupta only did ok. But it's not like he's adverse to having someone prominent on to take the other side. 
    Unfortunately we’re at a point where lies and misrepresenting things is a valid side to an issue. 
  • Not Neil’s finest hour and as I said a total fools errand.  Im all for artists taking a stand, what I don’t get is this idea of, hey I dislike such and such, let’s make sure no one can listen to such and such since I have an issue with them.  Spotify is the most popular steaming service in the world, Joe is the most popular podcaster in the world, his contract resembles a movie budget or an athletes contract.  The idea Neil took this approach, I gotta say, I don’t get it or understand his thought process.  Neil is a legend and one of the Goats but he’s just out of his depth in this one.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,775
    Is there a disclaimer before Rogan's show saying don't take any medical advice from the host?
    I miss igotid88
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    These covid threads really bring out some crazy posts. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• No, but joes never posed as a doctor or someone with medical training.  There’s no disclaimer before Trevor Noah or Colberts show either.  
  • In the latest news, Neil Young encourages everyone to move to Mars with him in 2023 because we should not share a planet with Joe Rogan. 

edited January 2022
    No, but joes never posed as a doctor or someone with medical training.  There’s no disclaimer before Trevor Noah or Colberts show either.  
    Trevor Noah or Colbert are not telling people to not trust doctors or science. Or telling them to take other stuff instead of.
    I miss igotid88
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    edited January 2022
    Not Neil’s finest hour and as I said a total fools errand.  Im all for artists taking a stand, what I don’t get is this idea of, hey I dislike such and such, let’s make sure no one can listen to such and such since I have an issue with them.  Spotify is the most popular steaming service in the world, Joe is the most popular podcaster in the world, his contract resembles a movie budget or an athletes contract.  The idea Neil took this approach, I gotta say, I don’t get it or understand his thought process.  Neil is a legend and one of the Goats but he’s just out of his depth in this one.
    Neil saw the letter signed by mix of doctors, chiropractors, med students and gym teachers. Then double checked their arguments via clips on YouTube. Ignored actual context, ignored proper debate and decided to cancel Rogan. Just like most. So much for keep on rocking in the free world.
    Post edited by AW124797 on
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    At no point did Neil ask Spotify to cancel Rogan. He basically just said “if Rogan is there, then I’m out,” and pulled his music. He left knowing that they wouldn’t cancel Rogan.

That’s a great example of someone standing up for what he believes in. Neil made a stand that will cost him and his label a lot of money, but he felt strongly enough about the lies and misinformation that are being spread to do it.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • This is so silly. Whether you like joe or not who cares? He’s a podcaster not a politician haha just don’t listen to him. 

I love Neil young but if PJ pulled their catalogue based on sharing the platform with joe… well I’ll just say I think kid rock is on Spotify lol

Need is say more. Asinine to judge a music platform based on their artists beliefs. Imo
    I don't like people bullying Pearl Jam to take their music off or else they're all of a sudden agreeing with Rogan. They're just going to ignore Pearl Jam's 30 years of activism? Also the people they need to ask are the Drakes and the Weeknds of the music industry. 
    I miss igotid88
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    Neil doesn’t need the money how old is he he doesn’t care about money! But his wrong in this even if Rogan is a dick
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The problem with the people who want Rogan to say misinformation is that they also want the schools to teach an opposing side to the events in history. Like saying the "holocaust never happened" and that "slavery wasn't that bad". And that's wrong. And then where does it stop? 
    I miss igotid88
  • I went to Global Citizen festival in 2012. Neil Young was the headliner and closing act. When he hit the stage, I never saw 60,000 people evacuate a place so fast in my life.
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Posts: 2,737

There's a difference between presenting an opposing, fact-based viewpoint and using unsubstantiated, non-factual points to support an argument. 

Nothing wrong with healthy debate, but when did it become acceptable for people to get their facts from sources that have zero credibility? And these people demand that they are proven to be wrong? How about you prove that you're right? 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705
    igotid88 said:
    The problem with the people who want Rogan to say misinformation is that they also want the schools to teach an opposing side to the events in history. Like saying the "holocaust never happened" and that "slavery wasn't that bad". And that's wrong. And then where does it stop? 
    People don't want to hear the truth or facts, they only want to hear something that validates their thoughts or opinions. Anything that doesn't is fake news or propaganda. It is disheartening to see how easy it is to mislead people with misinformation. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    This made me laugh 

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    @Kat and @Sea

Can you move this to AMT? 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited January 2022
    pjl44 said:
    Unfortunately we’re at a point where lies and misrepresenting things is a valid side to an issue. 
    I listen to a fair amount of Rogan. When it comes to covid there is stuff he's dead wrong about, stuff I would just respectfully disagree with, and stuff where he's going against consensus but I think he's right. You learn to live with the idea of people being complex if you fnd them interesting enough.
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I listen to a fair amount of Rogan. When it comes to covid there is stuff he's dead wrong about, stuff I would just respectfully disagree with, and stuff where he's going against consensus but I think he's right. You learn to live with the idea of people being complex if you fnd them interesting enough.
    Nice to hear some perspective from someboy who actually listens to Joe Rogan's show.  Everyone on the no Joe side iseems to be just shooting from the hip of personal echo chambers and  are just flat wrong and embracing a sad illiberalism that has become very discordant during covid times.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I went to Global Citizen festival in 2012. Neil Young was the headliner and closing act. When he hit the stage, I never saw 60,000 people evacuate a place so fast in my life.
    Looks like plenty of people stayed to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bulsCbCwZo

PB11041 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Nice to hear some perspective from someboy who actually listens to Joe Rogan's show.  Everyone on the no Joe side iseems to be just shooting from the hip of personal echo chambers and  are just flat wrong and embracing a sad illiberalism that has become very discordant during covid times.
    I've been listening since the earliest of its early days. There's something there for everyone to get mad at if you listen long enough. True of most people who spend that much time behind a mic.

Someone like John Oliver is a good analog for me. I have opinions about John Oliver but never watch John Oliver so to the extent that anyone is talking about John Oliver I just shut about John Oliver. It only comes up when a friend tells me I should watch a John Oliver thing and I have to explain why I'm really not interested in that.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    I love John Oliver's show, but it absoltely occurs to me that he sometimes cherry picks stuff, or delivers it in a certain way for sensationalism.   Sort of a left wing version of what the right wing does.

It's just harder to spot when you tend to lean more towards the things the sensationalist person talks about, and more transparent when then thing is very much against your beliefs.

I often thing both sides do the same thing and both are f'd.. lol.
This discussion has been closed.