Will Pearl Jam join Neil Young in leaving Spotify?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
edited January 2022 in The Porch

What do you think?

They did cancel that North Carolina gig in the footsteps of Bruce.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,617
    They could, if they wanted to. Thankfully, DEEP isn't 100% reliant on Spotify (plus the money isn't great to begin with).
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Spotify should dump Rogan. That’s what I think. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Spotify should dump Rogan. That’s what I think. 
    They can have Rogan or the Jamily. Not both. 

LET’S GO PEARL JAM

Get that 90s ticketmaster fire back in the belly!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • The idea that Neil would use his catalog as leverage to get someone else's content removed is a bad precedent. If you don't think so, what if the tables were turned? What if Monsanto was using their money, power and influence to get Neil's catalog removed from streaming services?  Would that stop you from enjoying Neil's music or would you find alternative ways of consuming his content? Likely causing you to consume less new music from other artists and more of Neil Young's catalog.

This is why pressuring platforms to remove content you disagree with is unlikely to have the results you desire. Since you stay with service "A" consuming more content that reinforces your beliefs and the removed content moves to service "B" along with their audience consuming more content the reinforces their beliefs. This leaves society fractured, more entrenched and unlikely to be exposed to any ideas that doesn't confirm their beliefs. 
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    edited January 2022
    Hmm.
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    edited January 2022
     :) 
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • I don’t necessarily like Joe but this is just silly
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    I thought Neil was a freedom of speech guy?  If you truly are then you should to be for it even when you don’t like what is being said.  Don’t like this take from Neil and hope PJ would not do the same. 
  • bootleg said:
    I thought Neil was a freedom of speech guy?  If you truly are then you should to be for it even when you don’t like what is being said.  Don’t like this take from Neil and hope PJ would not do the same. 
    Theres a meme going around of what hippies in 1968 said and believed and what hippies in 2022 say and believe.  Anti Authoritarian, question authority, do your own thing, became shut up, do what the government says and fall in line.  Calling out that hypocrisy isnt wrong, those people who say that is a clear double standard have legitimate grievances.  
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    edited January 2022
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    Neil pulled out of Farm Aid last fall because of COVID. Pearl Jam played SHN and Ohana. I don't see them following his lead this time either, for better or worse. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Kind of a win win for me. 

I have no intention of ever having Neil or Joe on any of my Spotify playlists.  :lol:
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    There is no perfect mix.  Free speech has its flaws and government (even more so large corporations that control communication platforms) controlled speech has its flaws.

I would rather allow free speech and discussion knowing that negative effects of the alternative are much, much worse.  It is like people want the US to be like China where only one viewpoint can be discussed.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited January 2022
    The idea that Neil would use his catalog as leverage to get someone else's content removed is a bad precedent. If you don't think so, what if the tables were turned? What if Monsanto was using their money, power and influence to get Neil's catalog removed from streaming services?  Would that stop you from enjoying Neil's music or would you find alternative ways of consuming his content? Likely causing you to consume less new music from other artists and more of Neil Young's catalog.

This is why pressuring platforms to remove content you disagree with is unlikely to have the results you desire. Since you stay with service "A" consuming more content that reinforces your beliefs and the removed content moves to service "B" along with their audience consuming more content the reinforces their beliefs. This leaves society fractured, more entrenched and unlikely to be exposed to any ideas that doesn't confirm their beliefs. 
    bootleg said:
    bootleg said:
    Theres a meme going around of what hippies in 1968 said and believed and what hippies in 2022 say and believe.  Anti Authoritarian, question authority, do your own thing, became shut up, do what the government says and fall in line.  Calling out that hypocrisy isnt wrong, those people who say that is a clear double standard have legitimate grievances.  
    There is no perfect mix.  Free speech has its flaws and government (even more so large corporations that control communication platforms) controlled speech has its flaws.

I would rather allow free speech and discussion knowing that negative effects of the alternative are much, much worse.  It is like people want the US to be like China where only one viewpoint can be discussed.
    So if Pearl Jam was to play Bonnaroo, but then Bonnaroo decided to add a bunch of White power music to the lineup and having a stack of limited edition numbered Mein Kampf books and accompanying litographs at the merch tables - then Pearl Jam would be wrong to cancel because of this precious freedom of speech you speak of?

Help me understand.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    It has nothing to do with free speech. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • People need to pick up a book. All throughout history, the people promoting censorship, intimidation and bullying HAVE ALWAYS been the good guys.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    bootleg said:
    It's nothing to do with free speech. Rogan is talking unsubstantiated shit about vaccines that will likely cost lives. If Neil doesn't want to be associated with a platform that allows this misinformation, then that's his own call.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Edved82 said:
    bootleg said:
    It's nothing to do with free speech. Rogan is talking unsubstantiated shit about vaccines that will likely cost lives. If Neil doesn't want to be associated with a platform that allows this misinformation, then that's his own call.
    unsubstantiated shit such as?
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • raindog80raindog80 Posts: 1,158
    No way. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Neil has not exactly been mister scientific when it comes to GMOs, he has been knee deep in conspiracy theories there.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

ComeToTX said:
    It has nothing to do with free speech. 
    I just don’t understand how people are so eager to cede control to corporations.  The government shouldn’t tell people what they can or cannot say but people are fine if 8 CEO’s that control 90% of the communication platforms can have that power.  

The idea that Neil would use his catalog as leverage to get someone else's content removed is a bad precedent. If you don't think so, what if the tables were turned? What if Monsanto was using their money, power and influence to get Neil's catalog removed from streaming services?  Would that stop you from enjoying Neil's music or would you find alternative ways of consuming his content? Likely causing you to consume less new music from other artists and more of Neil Young's catalog.

bootleg said:
    bootleg said:

So if Pearl Jam was to play Bonnaroo, but then Bonnaroo decided to add a bunch of White power music to the lineup and having a stack of limited edition numbered Mein Kampf books and accompanying litographs at the merch tables - then Pearl Jam would be wrong to cancel because of this precious freedom of speech you speak of?

Help me understand.
    That is a good point.  I would be perfectly okay with PJ backing out and would support them backing out. 

I guess my thought here would be that it is a medical issue and not a discrimination issue.   Misinformation sucks but the alternative of only government provided info sucks too.  

You make a good point though.  
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Hate to say it, but I don't think Neil doing this will make a difference, and PJ joining him won't either. Now if Drake, Ed Sheeran, Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift want to speak up.....
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Lol of course Neil leaving will do nothing. Guarantee more people listen to Rogan than Neil on Spotify.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,003
    Sometimes you need to stand up for something. I applaud Neil and hope PJ follow his example.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    Neil is also in a unique position to do something like this due to his NYA subscription service and the income it brings him. And the service will probably gain subscribers if he goes off Spotify. 

Would be terrible for consumers if artists all started splintering off onto 100 different platforms similar to what is happening with TV. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Edved82 said:
    bootleg said:
    unsubstantiated shit such as?
    One example would be him talking about COVID not causing myocarditis in younger people - myocarditis is an exceptionally rare side effect of MRNA vaccines, but you're many many times more likely to get it from COVID-19 than you are from a vaccine. He was actually fact checked live on air and backpedalled immediately. People that have a listenership of millions shouldn't be pretending to be medical professionals. 
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,774
    You guys can also cancel your subscriptions instead of asking/demanding artists to take their music off the platform. I'm sure you guys will buy their albums
    I miss igotid88
  • Edved82 said:
     People that have a listenership of millions shouldn't be pretending to be medical professionals. 
    This.

I'll still watch Rogen on NewsRadio...that show was tops.
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
This discussion has been closed.