Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• DW183354DW183354 Posts: 135
    edited February 2
    My feeling for this new record is that we are going to be hearing the voice of Pearl Jam, the band... as one. Damn it I need this album. Now. :)))))))))))))))))))))))
    Post edited by DW183354 on
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Looks like an astronomer who works, in some way, with JWST was in attendance. She’s a die hard PJ fan, but I’m wondering if maybe she contributed art/photos given the album title. Mike is following her on X. If there is some link here, and there are JWST photos in the album artwork, I will literally reach orgasm. This will marry two of my favorite hobbies. My wife keeps photos of us as her phone background, I use photos from JWST! 
    All of those photos are made available to the public by NASA, so anyone can use them. The photos from Binaural were the same deal.

Artwork for "dark matter" would be interesting because it's not visible and doesn't seem to interact with "ordinary" matter. We can only detect it indirectly and because our equations don't make sense if it's not there.

As mentioned in the other thread, Josh suggested the title Eclipse for the album, so astronomy is definitely on their minds. (Of course, "dark matter" as used in the song could just be a metaphor and not literally about the mysterious substance.)
    Yes - it’s nice that NASA posts some of the best shots from JWST, many of which are in the infrared portion of the spectrum (this is how you see through gas, etc in the universe). 

Of course we can’t see dark matter (which is only theorized by the way), but it is thought to be a key component of the lambda cold dark matter theory of the universe’s expansion post big bang. 

In any event, I love the title and hope there’s some cool artwork involved. 
    Yes, but "theory" in this context means the best explanation given all the available evidence. If dark matter didn't exist, galaxies would fly apart upon rotation (h/t Vera Rubin). So it's a theory in the same sense that gravity is a theory. Something is affecting visible matter and causing it to cohere, and something is pulling us down toward the center of the earth.

Sorry, I know you understand this, but I always shudder when I hear "it's only a theory" because people say this to deny evolution without understanding that evolution being a "theory" doesn't mean it's some off-the-cuff idea. It's a well-established, well-substantiated body of knowledge supported by all of the available evidence.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Looks like an astronomer who works, in some way, with JWST was in attendance. She’s a die hard PJ fan, but I’m wondering if maybe she contributed art/photos given the album title. Mike is following her on X. If there is some link here, and there are JWST photos in the album artwork, I will literally reach orgasm. This will marry two of my favorite hobbies. My wife keeps photos of us as her phone background, I use photos from JWST! 
    All of those photos are made available to the public by NASA, so anyone can use them. The photos from Binaural were the same deal.

Artwork for "dark matter" would be interesting because it's not visible and doesn't seem to interact with "ordinary" matter. We can only detect it indirectly and because our equations don't make sense if it's not there.

As mentioned in the other thread, Josh suggested the title Eclipse for the album, so astronomy is definitely on their minds. (Of course, "dark matter" as used in the song could just be a metaphor and not literally about the mysterious substance.)
    Yes - it’s nice that NASA posts some of the best shots from JWST, many of which are in the infrared portion of the spectrum (this is how you see through gas, etc in the universe). 

Of course we can’t see dark matter (which is only theorized by the way), but it is thought to be a key component of the lambda cold dark matter theory of the universe’s expansion post big bang. 

Yes, but "theory" in this context means the best explanation given all the available evidence. If dark matter didn't exist, galaxies would fly apart upon rotation (h/t Vera Rubin). So it's a theory in the same sense that gravity is a theory. Something is affecting visible matter and causing it to cohere, and something is pulling us down toward the center of the earth.

Sorry, I know you understand this, but I always shudder when I hear "it's only a theory" because people say this to deny evolution without understanding that evolution being a "theory" doesn't mean it's some off-the-cuff idea. It's a well-established, well-substantiated body of knowledge supported by all of the available evidence.
    yep spot on. I suppose the same could be said about the "theory" of dark energy. what's causing cosmic inflation? well, something, even though we lack nuance and details to explain it properly we've dubbed our observation DE.

in thinking about it, there are a ton of metaphors that could have been used here in the record, conceptually (to describe human behavior, etc).

we'll see.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    Spunkie said:
    ^New stuff sounds like best ever :rofl:
    Do you dare disagree with Ed Vedder? 
    www.myspace.com
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited February 2
    Yes, it's a thing, however, 

I would be inclined to trust this statement, yet

Sometimes you're there and you're talking back to me.

Don't Gimme No Lip.

Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited February 2
    Spunkie said:
    That was truly a juxtaposed statement given that his comment was taken within the context of hearing only the back alley recording.

If I recall correctly, disagreeing with Ed is how Brother made the cut.
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    It's tomorrow in Europe. Did a new single drop?
    ^^ 😀 I love the enthusiasm. Glad you could sleep, it's Christmastime :rock_on:
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901

• bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    Seriously… the waiting.

They still know how to build the anticipation, lol…
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Well the album won't come out April 19th. That's Taylor's date
    I miss igotid88
    Well, I did not have Taylor Swift dropping new album info before Pearl Jam on my Bingo card. It turns out she was plotting something.

God damn, she is prolific. If these albums come out on the same day, I might not leave the house for a month.
    Gonna get completely drowned out by the swifty faithful unless it comes out well before4/19. 
    For a chance for them to possibly get a number 1 album it will have to be released on 4/12 or before. That would be a number 1 in 4 different decades
    I miss igotid88
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,866
    igotid88 said:
    For a chance for them to possibly get a number 1 album it will have to be released on 4/12 or before. That would be a number 1 in 4 different decades
    Safe to say, if they don't get number 1, their career is over.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    igotid88 said:
    They will be extremely hard-pressed to get a number one album on the Billboard 200 because the formula overweights streaming, and they no longer sell enough albums to overcome that, unless they get lucky in a particular week. But, yes, come out April 19 or for several weeks after that, and they will have no shot. (I don't think they particularly care about this, of course.)

To put it in context, this week's number one album is Morgan Wallen's latest (which is anything but new-- it's in its 18th nonconsecutive week at number one. He is credited with 66,000 equivalent units, of which only 1,500 are actual album sales. Gigaton sold 57,000 in its first week and had 6,000 in streaming equivalents, for a total of 63,000, which landed it at No. 5 on the Billboard 200. Expect the new album to sell fewer copies than Gigaton. (Yes, despite the fact that Gigaton came out at the beginning of the pandemic.)

Another piece of context: Green Day's new album just sold 39,000 copies in its first week. That was 39 times more sales than 21 Savage's album, but 21 Savage was No. 1 and Green Day was No. 4 because 21 Savage had a lot more streams.

There are also new albums by Ariana Grande and Justin Timberlake due out in March. Those will be probably still be racking up streams in early April, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    They will be extremely hard-pressed to get a number one album on the Billboard 200 because the formula overweights streaming, and they no longer sell enough albums to overcome that, unless they get lucky in a particular week. But, yes, come out April 19 or for several weeks after that, and they will have no shot. (I don't think they particularly care about this, of course.)

To put it in context, this week's number one album is Morgan Wallen's latest (which is anything but new-- it's in its 18th nonconsecutive week at number one. He is credited with 66,000 equivalent units, of which only 1,500 are actual album sales. Gigaton sold 57,000 in its first week and had 6,000 in streaming equivalents, for a total of 63,000, which landed it at No. 5 on the Billboard 200. Expect the new album to sell fewer copies than Gigaton. (Yes, despite the fact that Gigaton came out at the beginning of the pandemic.)

Another piece of context: Green Day's new album just sold 39,000 copies in its first week. That was 39 times more sales than 21 Savage's album, but 21 Savage was No. 1 and Green Day was No. 4 because 21 Savage had a lot more streams.

There are also new albums by Ariana Grande and Justin Timberlake due out in March. Those will be probably still be racking up streams in early April, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    We each need to buy 20 copies
    I miss igotid88
    Do you think they'll do what they did with Lightning Bolt where it was available to listen to a week before its release?
    I miss igotid88
    edited February 5
    They probably don’t give a rat’s patoot where they chart (nor do I). But…from a promotion perspective, there is only so much media and public bandwidth in terms of attention. Safe to say the casual types will barely notice unless they get this thing out before the flood of releases in March/April. Or….they kick the can til summer. Won’t change my experience one bit, but if this record is somehow really strong, youd hate to see it overshadowed. 
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:

It will be their "black album".

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah, anyone saying "it's only a theory" is just revealing that they don't understand what a scientific theory is.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    edited February 5
    igotid88 said:
    Safe to say, if they don't get number 1, their career is over.
    Britney and Tool already killed them. But as remnants of a once no1 band they wander this earth
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:

I imagine they will have atleast the amount of vinyl options as Earthling to push multiple sales
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • just_onejust_one Posts: 2,108
    edited February 5

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    The only prediction I'm confident in making about the new album at this point is the astronomy mansplaining will be off the charts
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:
    That was truly a juxtaposed statement given that his comment was taken within the context of hearing only the back alley recording.

wasn't that a disagreement between jeff and stone?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:

I'm good for three, one CD and one LP from the Ten Club, and then one CD at retail when my Ten Club order fails to show up on time.
    edited February 5
    Spunkie said:
    Spunkie said:

wasn't that a disagreement between jeff and stone?
    *Edit: if you didn't get a chance to read my response hfd let me know and I'll PM you