Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,054
    edited January 2022
    If he could get them back to that jam-y and anthemtic embracing sound of like Ten + Dissident... whatever that means... I would be okey with giving that a try. Like 15% more of that. More... eh.... My Morning Jacket post their lo-fi but before them playing with synths period. YOU KNOW THE SWEET SPOT i'm talking about.

Less short screechy Eddies-voide-is-sort-of-giving-out punksongs. And less "haven't we heard this before?" acoustic numbers.

More Broken Arrow and Sleeps with Angels. The Neil Young albums.

Is it "mood" I'm looking for? Yes. Where is the mood? 

Or whatever. It's post midnight and the ghosts will be here any minute. Need to brush my teeth, And find my crucifix.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited January 2022
    Less screechy vocals but you want them to sound more like Neil Young????

:lol:   Jk
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    tino_11 said:
    The end of Retrograde is exactly what I wanted some PJ songs to sounds like.   Love what Josh did there.  
    Watt is obviously an in-demand producer for a lot of famous artists.   If his thing is friendly hooks PJ I’m fine with that too.  I love how easy Backspacer is to listen to.  I just want more albums.  
    If Gigaton and the EV singles are anything to go by then I really hope they stick with Josh Evans. Friendly hooks PJ? No thanks! 
    Josh produced Gigaton.

Either way. Anything Pearl Jam has done the past 30+ years has been good to my ears. 
    I miss igotid88
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    Keep bringing me your hooks Pearl Jam. I’ll bite every time. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,028
    Stick with Josh Evans, Gigaton is their best sounding record in a,long time 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Less screechy vocals but you want them to sound more like Neil Young????

:lol:   Jk
    Where's the screech ya bully?

https://youtu.be/4IS1Wir4KWg

https://youtu.be/FN4qQD2_PfQ

Get jammin Pearl jammmmmmm.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    I’ll say it one more time kids …. JOSH. EVANS.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,115
    Gigaton is far and away better than the three Earthling songs we have heard so far. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    JimmyV said:
    Gigaton is far and away better than the three Earthling songs we have heard so far. 
    I agree. I really like how the Evans/PJ relationship worked out. That being said, the fact that they are excited about making & recording new music is awesome. Will it be as good as any of there previous albums? Who knows. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I agree. I really like how the Evans/PJ relationship worked out. That being said, the fact that they are excited about making & recording new music is awesome. Will it be as good as any of there previous albums? Who knows. 
    100%. They cannot record too much at this point. The more the merrier, no matter who the producer is.

• DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 962

100%. They cannot record too much at this point. The more the merrier, no matter who the producer is.
    any reason why they cant record too much at this point? Aside from the Earthlings tour they have time before the next tour in May? I am guessing they have plenty of material. 
    DEGBTI said:

any reason why they cant record too much at this point? Aside from the Earthlings tour they have time before the next tour in May? I am guessing they have plenty of material. 
    I mean it's not possible for them to record too much, in that it will never be enough or too much. Use any producer they want just keep making music. As much as possible, as often as possible. 

DEGBTI said:

They all have to agree to want to record. If it was a band like NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Bon Jovi, or Foo Fighters where it's really one guy who's the whole band. Then they might record more.
    I miss igotid88
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901
    Keep bringing me your hooks Pearl Jam. I’ll bite every time. 

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,389
    edited January 2022
    JimmyV said:
    Hear hear!

JimmyV said:
    mfc2006 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It can be too much when we start seeing dreck. Leave the “man on first” in the drafts folder.
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 345
    edited January 2022
    Yeah after reading the credits for the songs most of them seem to be written by Klinghoffer and Watt with Ed mostly just writing the lyrics, I think that's probably why I'm not really into it, it's not really Ed solo as implied. I think the Flag Day songs are better than anything I've heard from Earthling so far, but in the end it's still Ed so I'm hoping it will grow on me, and maybe the rest of the album will be good, but I won't hold my breath...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • my_wave said:
    Yeah after reading the credits for the songs most of them seem to be written by Klinghoffer and Watt with Ed mostly just writing the lyrics,
    What, do we have our own Psycho Circus situation here?
  • davidos said:
    I bet they have already recorded with him a bit in LA last year… Fingers crossed that he doesn’t turn them into Coldplay or Creed or some other lighter than air band the way he turned Ed into Elton John on his latest album… Not a fan.
    Turned him into? That's just Ed. Ed writes pretty bland music outside of (and inside of) Pearl Jam.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,389
    my_wave said:
    Yeah after reading the credits for the songs most of them seem to be written by Klinghoffer and Watt with Ed mostly just writing the lyrics, I think that's probably why I'm not really into it, it's not really Ed solo as implied. I think the Flag Day songs are better than anything I've heard from Earthling so far, but in the end it's still Ed so I'm hoping it will grow on me, and maybe the rest of the album will be good, but I won't hold my breath...
    Yes thank you for the reminder, his Flag Day tracks were excellent.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Was never a solo Ed record folks. 

www.cluthelee.com
    davidos said:
    I bet they have already recorded with him a bit in LA last year… Fingers crossed that he doesn’t turn them into Coldplay or Creed or some other lighter than air band the way he turned Ed into Elton John on his latest album… Not a fan.
    Turned him into? That's just Ed. Ed writes pretty bland music outside of (and inside of) Pearl Jam.
    No
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No
    Bland doesn’t come to mind. I get how folks could see it that way, but I don’t get that from Ed’s stuff. Especially the latest release. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No

It's tepid, at best, imitations of other artists. The production of his solo stuff does him no justice either.
    igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No

It's tepid, at best, imitations of other artists. The production of his solo stuff does him no justice either.
    Why are you a fan if you don't like their music?
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No
    Bland doesn’t come to mind. I get how folks could see it that way, but I don’t get that from Ed’s stuff. Especially the latest release. 
    The man can still write a good punk-inspired song for sure, but anything that isn't a rocker type is more or less the same. His vocal melodies aren't very interesting anymore either. He, above all else, is extremely predictable in his averageness.
    igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No
    The man can still write a good punk-inspired song for sure, but anything that isn't a rocker type is more or less the same. His vocal melodies aren't very interesting anymore either. He, above all else, is extremely predictable in his averageness.
    One less record in your collection then eh? LOL! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • igotid88 said:
    davidos said:
    No
    Your comments are below average. Jeeze dude, Debbie downer much? You sound like a person who complains a lot. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,893
    There’s some great bits here and there, but overall I’d rate Ed’s solo stuff as just okay.  I guess I just could have high expectations for him and maybe I’m judging too harshly maybe. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,893
    Does anyone else hear some similarities between Brother the Cloud and DotC? Specifically the 2:00 minute mark of BtC and around 1:37 of DotC.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    I definitely have not been too impressed with the new ev stuff.  Kind of blah.  Just my .02. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......