Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hope it passes quickly, mickey. Feel better!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    not sure this belongs here exactly but.....

CDC director announces shake-up, citing COVID mistakes
    By MIKE STOBBE
    Today

NEW YORK (AP) — The head of the nation's top public health agency on Wednesday announced a shake-up of the organization, saying it fell short responding to COVID-19 and needs to become more nimble.

The planned changes at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — CDC leaders call it a “reset”— come amid criticism of the agency's response to COVID-19, monkeypox and other public health threats. The changes include internal staffing moves and steps to speed up data releases.

The CDC's director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, told the agency's staff about the changes on Wednesday. It's a CDC initiative, and was not directed by the White House or other administration officials, she said.

“I feel like it's my my responsibility to lead this agency to a better place after a really challenging three years,” Walensky told The Associated Press.

The Atlanta-based agency, with a $12 billion budget and more than 11,000 employees, is charged with protecting Americans from disease outbreaks and other public health threats. It’s customary for each CDC director to do some reorganizing, but Walensky’s action comes amid a wider demand for change.

The agency has long been criticized as too ponderous, focusing on collection and analysis of data but not acting quickly against new health threats. Public unhappiness with the agency grew dramatically during the COVID-19 pandemic. Experts said the CDC was slow to recognize how much virus was entering the U.S. from Europe, to recommend people wear masks, to say the virus can spread through the air, and to ramp up systematic testing for new variants.

“We saw during COVID that CDC’s structures, frankly, weren’t designed to take in information, digest it and disseminate it to the public at the speed necessary,” said Jason Schwartz, a health policy researcher at the Yale School of Public Health.

Walensky, who became director in January 2021, has long said the agency has to move faster and communicate better, but stumbles have continued during her tenure. In April, she called for an in-depth review of the agency, which resulted in the announced changes.

"It’s not lost on me that we fell short in many ways” responding to the coronavirus, Walensky said. "We had some pretty public mistakes, and so much of this effort was to hold up the mirror ... to understand where and how we could do better."

Her reorganization proposal must be approved by the Department of Health and Human Services secretary. CDC officials say they hope to have a full package of changes finalized, approved and underway by early next year.

Some changes still are being formulated, but steps announced Wednesday include:

—Increasing use of preprint scientific reports to get out actionable data, instead of waiting for research to go through peer review and publication by the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

—Restructuring the agency's communications office and further revamping CDC websites to make the agency's guidance for the public more clear and easier to find.

—Altering the length of time agency leaders are devoted to outbreak responses to a minimum of six months — an effort to address a turnover problem that at times caused knowledge gaps and affected the agency’s communications.

—Creation of a new executive council to help Walensky set strategy and priorities.

—Appointing Mary Wakefield as senior counselor to implement the changes. Wakefield headed the Health Resources and Services Administration during the Obama administration and also served as the No. 2 administrator at HHS. Wakefield, 68, started Monday.

—Altering the agency's organization chart to undo some changes made during the Trump administration.

—Establishing an office of intergovernmental affairs to smooth partnerships with other agencies, as well as a higher-level office on health equity.

Walensky also said she intends to “get rid of some of the reporting layers that exist, and I'd like to work to break down some of the silos." She did not say exactly what that may entail, but emphasized that the overall changes are less about redrawing the organization chart than rethinking how the CDC does business and motivates staff.

“This will not be simply moving boxes" on the organization chart, she said.

Schwartz said flaws in the federal response go beyond the CDC, because the White House and other agencies were heavily involved.

A CDC reorganization is a positive step but “I hope it's not the end of the story,” Schwartz said. He would like to see "a broader accounting” of how the federal government handles health crises.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Your first brush with coronavirus could affect how a fall booster works  https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/08/22/coronavirus-immune-response-boosters/ 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

Moderna sues Pfizer and BioNTech alleging patent infringement over Covid vaccine

"We believe that Pfizer and BioNTech unlawfully copied Moderna’s inventions, and they have continued to use them without permission,” Moderna's chief legal officer said.

It’s absurd really.  If the government wants to build a road through my front yard they can seize my house.  Why the government can’t just seize the rights to the vaccine is beyond me.  Suing a company who may or may not have copied a vaccine during a pandemic shouldn’t even be possible 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008

Moderna sues Pfizer and BioNTech alleging patent infringement over Covid vaccine

"We believe that Pfizer and BioNTech unlawfully copied Moderna’s inventions, and they have continued to use them without permission,” Moderna's chief legal officer said.

It’s absurd really.  If the government wants to build a road through my front yard they can seize my house.  Why the government can’t just seize the rights to the vaccine is beyond me.  Suing a company who may or may not have copied a vaccine during a pandemic shouldn’t even be possible 
    But they don't just seize your property, then compensate you at market value for it. So for them to just seize a vaccine I would imagine they'd have to pay billions in market value. And then hire the same company to manufacture it. So I don't see any point in it really. And except for the first couple months, we've had more vaccines than we can give out, so production isn't an issue. Having one company not steal the rights to a vaccine doesn't seem like its going to prevent anyone from getting it. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mace1229 said:

But they don't just seize your property, then compensate you at market value for it. So for them to just seize a vaccine I would imagine they'd have to pay billions in market value. And then hire the same company to manufacture it. So I don't see any point in it really. And except for the first couple months, we've had more vaccines than we can give out, so production isn't an issue. Having one company not steal the rights to a vaccine doesn't seem like its going to prevent anyone from getting it. 
    True but the government also funded a lot of the development at least once the pandemic started.  Minus Pfizer.  

They eliminated down side risk to big pharm then big pharm will probably pay hundreds of millions of dollars litigating a case which will be passed on to consumers via drug prices 

its crazy 

the good old days where when the rights to the polio vaccine was given away
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    interesting. pfizer was out first. by a couple weeks.

• Options

US clears updated COVID boosters targeting newest variants
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD
    52 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today’s most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days.

The move by the Food and Drug Administration tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna that already have saved millions of lives. The hope is that the modified boosters will blunt yet another winter surge — and help tamp down the BA.5 omicron relative that continues to spread widely.

“These updated boosters present us with an opportunity to get ahead" of the next COVID-19 wave, said FDA Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf.

Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original coronavirus strain, even as wildly different mutants emerged. The new U.S. boosters are combination, or “bivalent,” shots. They contain half that original vaccine recipe and half protection against the newest omicron versions, BA.4 and BA.5, that are considered the most contagious yet.

The combination aims to increase cross-protection against multiple variants.

“It really provides the broadest opportunity for protection,” Pfizer vaccine chief Annaliesa Anderson told The Associated Press.

The updated boosters are only for people who have already had their primary vaccinations, using the original vaccines. Doses made by Pfizer and its partner BioNTech are for anyone 12 and older while Moderna's updated shots are for adults — if it has been at least two months since their last primary vaccination or their latest booster. They're not to be used for initial vaccinations.

There’s one more step before a fall booster campaign begins: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must recommend who should get the additional shot. An influential CDC advisory panel will debate the evidence Thursday — including whether people at high risk from COVID-19 should go first.

The U.S. has purchased more than 170 million doses from the two companies. Pfizer said it could ship up to 15 million of those doses by the end of next week. Moderna didn't immediately say how many doses are ready to ship but that some will be available “in the coming days.”

The big question is whether people weary of vaccinations will roll up their sleeves again. Just half of vaccinated Americans got the first recommended booster dose, and only a third of those 50 and older who were urged to get a second booster did so.

Here’s the rub: The original vaccines still offer strong protection against severe disease and death from COVID-19 for generally healthy people, especially if they got that important first booster dose. It’s not clear just how much more benefit an updated booster will bring — beyond a temporary jump in antibodies capable of fending off an omicron infection.

Still, “people have to realize this is a different kind of booster than was previously available. It will work better at protecting against omicron,” said virologist Andrew Pekosz of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Even people who had an earlier omicron version still can get reinfected so “you should definitely go for the booster even if you’ve been infected in the last year,” added Pekosz. He thinks “if we can get good buy-in to use this, we might really be able to make a dent" in COVID-19 cases.

The FDA cleared the modifications ahead of studies in people, a step toward eventually handling COVID-19 vaccine updates more like yearly changes to flu shots.

FDA vaccine chief Dr. Peter Marks stressed the agency considered “the totality” of evidence. Pfizer and Moderna have previously brewed vaccine doses updated to match earlier mutants — including the omicron strain named BA.1 that struck last winter — and tested them in people. Those earlier recipe changes were safe, and the BA.1 version substantially boosted virus-fighting antibodies — more than another dose of the original vaccine — although fewer that recognized today's genetically distinct BA.4 and BA.5 strains.

But instead of using those BA.1 shots, FDA ordered the companies to brew even more up-to-date doses that target those newest omicron mutants, sparking a race to roll them out. Rather than waiting a few more months for additional human studies of that very similar recipe tweak, Marks said animal tests showed the latest update spurs “a very good immune response.”

“One needs to refresh the immune system with what is actually circulating,” Marks said. That's why FDA also is no longer authorizing boosters made with the original recipe for those 12 and older.

The hope, Marks said, is that a vaccine matched to currently spreading variants might do a better job fighting infection, not just serious illness, at least for a while.

What's next? Even as modified shots roll out, Moderna and Pfizer are conducting human studies to help assess their value, including how they hold up if a new mutant comes along.

And for children, Pfizer plans to ask FDA to allow updated boosters for 5- to 11-year-olds in early October.

It’s the first U.S. update to the COVID-19 vaccine recipe, an important but expected next step -- like how flu vaccines get updated every year.

And the U.S. isn’t alone. Britain recently decided to offer adults over 50 a different booster option from Moderna, a combo shot targeting that initial BA.1 omicron strain. European regulators are considering whether to authorize one or both of the updated formulas.

___

AP Health Writer Matthew Perrone contributed to this report.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

• Options

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    WHO says "the end of the pandemic is in sight". I'm no epidemiologist, but declaring this JUST as schools get going again and we're headed for flu/indoor socialization season?

YIKES. 

‘The end is in sight’: COVID-19 deaths at lowest levels since March 2020, WHO says (msn.com)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    WHO says "the end of the pandemic is in sight". I'm no epidemiologist, but declaring this JUST as schools get going again and we're headed for flu/indoor socialization season?

YIKES. 

‘The end is in sight’: COVID-19 deaths at lowest levels since March 2020, WHO says (msn.com)
    I guess if deaths are your markers, then that's the case.  I can tell you that my FL office has ten active cases this week alone.  Last month we had about 20.  There are about 65 people there, so literally half.  Everything has been generally mild though, thankfully. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:

YIKES. 

I guess if deaths are your markers, then that's the case.  I can tell you that my FL office has ten active cases this week alone.  Last month we had about 20.  There are about 65 people there, so literally half.  Everything has been generally mild though, thankfully. 
    Admittedly, I'm burned out on following the details of this (though remain devoted to trying to keep from getting/spreading it).

Someone correct me if I am wrong...it feels like contracting covid is probably more common than ever but contracting it seriously is less common (particularly on a per-case basis).

Correct? It feels like it's almost getting into "flu" territory (i.e., rarely but sometimes fatal...always annoying).

How are people doing traveling? My wife and I are going from St. Paul to St. Louis for PJ. We're driving because I was nervous about what to do if we catch it on the plane...skip the concert? (obviously, if test positive).  How do we get home? Just mask up and take the flight? Try to rent a car? Are we at the point where we were pre-2020 with illness (i.e., don't go coughing on people, but sometimes you're going to be out and about)? I pushed the driving (my wife's kinda pissed and she's very nervous my OCD-having ass will never want to fly again) and I did it because I am almost crippled by the thought of finding out I have Covid with a return flight scheduled (even driving eight hours, since stops are a must, would be hard for me).

Anyone else traveling for PJ and, if so, are you just better able than I am (I legit have OCD) not to worry about it?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

YIKES. 

Admittedly, I'm burned out on following the details of this (though remain devoted to trying to keep from getting/spreading it).

Someone correct me if I am wrong...it feels like contracting covid is probably more common than ever but contracting it seriously is less common (particularly on a per-case basis).

Correct? It feels like it's almost getting into "flu" territory (i.e., rarely but sometimes fatal...always annoying).

How are people doing traveling? My wife and I are going from St. Paul to St. Louis for PJ. We're driving because I was nervous about what to do if we catch it on the plane...skip the concert? (obviously, if test positive).  How do we get home? Just mask up and take the flight? Try to rent a car? Are we at the point where we were pre-2020 with illness (i.e., don't go coughing on people, but sometimes you're going to be out and about)? I pushed the driving (my wife's kinda pissed and she's very nervous my OCD-having ass will never want to fly again) and I did it because I am almost crippled by the thought of finding out I have Covid with a return flight scheduled (even driving eight hours, since stops are a must, would be hard for me).

Anyone else traveling for PJ and, if so, are you just better able than I am (I legit have OCD) not to worry about it?
    our hospitals in winnipeg are literally in crisis. my MIL needed an ambulance the other day, and had to re-route to a farther hospital as the one she would normally go to was "full". Seriously. Full. that's not just covid, mind you, it's staffing, funding, staff sickness, etc. But the thought scares me. Some patients who had strokes were not being treated when they should have been and their "brains were literally dying" as they didn't have the equipment/manning available to help them all. that's fucked up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    edited September 2022
    Curious. I’ve had my two shots and a booster. Are people getting their fourth shot now, as in two shots and two boosters?
  • Options
    Curious. I’ve had my two shots and a booster. Are people getting their fourth shot now, as in two shots and two boosters?

I have. 2nd booster was reserved for +50 as of my 2nd in June.

plan on combo in Dec on recommendation of my Doc.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Just as the president has declared the pandemic is over and people have stopped wearing masks and are gathering in large numbers indoors again, I am hearing about more people I personally know who have come down with COVID than I have in all of the last 2 1/2 years.
    My response is to isolate from people more than ever.  I am turning into a virtual recluse.  Were it not for my wife, I might be considered a hermit.  And she is more active these days, so ironically, she is my weak link.  It's all too depressing.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    Just as the president has declared the pandemic is over and people have stopped wearing masks and are gathering in large numbers indoors again, I am hearing about more people I personally know who have come down with COVID than I have in all of the last 2 1/2 years.
    My response is to isolate from people more than ever.  I am turning into a virtual recluse.  Were it not for my wife, I might be considered a hermit.  And she is more active these days, so ironically, she is my weak link.  It's all too depressing.

Cases are definitely on the rise again in Metro NY
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Cases are definitely on the rise again in Metro NY

vax rates?
    hospitalizations and deaths up?

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Got it for the first time at Pearl Jam in Camden. I guess my symptoms were considered mild but I was in pretty bad shape as the fever kept going up a day or two into it. Now I am on day 8 and, basically, feel fine despite still testing positive. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Got it for the first time at Pearl Jam in Camden. I guess my symptoms were considered mild but I was in pretty bad shape as the fever kept going up a day or two into it. Now I am on day 8 and, basically, feel fine despite still testing positive. 
    I believe you can test positive on the home kits for up to 90 days.  Research that though as I do remember there was problems w testing at home.
  • Options
    I believe you can test positive on the home kits for up to 90 days.  Research that though as I do remember there was problems w testing at home.

tested positive via home kit Aug 14, a Sunday. Was back at work that next  Thursday.
    Retested Aug 25,  a Thursday. Negative.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

tested positive via home kit Aug 14, a Sunday. Was back at work that next  Thursday.

Pulled from a USA today article.

But with PCR tests, which look for the virus's genetic material, people may test positive for even longer, Dr. Alberto Paniz-Mondolfi, associate professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, explained. "You can still have positivity that may persist for weeks and even months," he explained, noting that positive tests on PCR have been recorded for up to 60 days.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    mickeyrat said:

But with PCR tests, which look for the virus's genetic material, people may test positive for even longer, Dr. Alberto Paniz-Mondolfi, associate professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, explained. "You can still have positivity that may persist for weeks and even months," he explained, noting that positive tests on PCR have been recorded for up to 60 days.

@tempo_n_groove Yes, you can test + on PCR tests for 90 days, but at home tests are not PCR's, so your 1st comment is incorrect.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

@tempo_n_groove Yes, you can test + on PCR tests for 90 days, but at home tests are not PCR's, so your 1st comment is incorrect.
    PCR is not a home test, whoops!
  • Options
    Well well well.
    Near on 3 years and here  it is.
    Daugter and partner pos we all feel the same but im not showing  yet. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Side  note.  I wish i caught it at a show. So if you did
     At least you had the ride. I sat home  many many  days
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    10 days is about average  to show pos. In my family  experience 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

How can anyone truly know they specifically caught it at a show?.. no way to know... most of the same people went to pre-parties, after parties, airports, gas stations, restaurants, etc...etc...etc.. People saying they caught it at this show or that show is pure speculation. 

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:

How can anyone truly know they specifically caught it at a show?.. no way to know... most of the same people went to pre-parties, after parties, airports, gas stations, restaurants, etc...etc...etc.. People saying they caught it at this show or that show is pure speculation. 

I inferred from that statement that it would be preferred to come down with it after going out & doing something worthwhile as opposed to staying at home / skipping large gatherings and still coming down with it regardless. 

But lastexit can speak for themselves, I'm just speculating.