Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    Data seems limited, but most things I've read seem to indicate both the vaccine's and natural immunity wane.  Moderna seems to be the most robust, but it still wanes.   Plus the vaccines are getting more and more obsolete.  They were designed for the original strain, so their ability to prevent infection has greatly been reduced, but their ability to prevent bad cases of covid is still strong.

So this would seem to be an ongoing problem unless vaccine's improve.  After about 6 months vaccine and natural immunity has greatly waned.  So unless better vaccine's come out, isn't the booster thing going to be an issue for a while?  Unless Covid keeps mutating into less lethal strains.

I guess too.. even if protection has waned, your body must at least remember some of the way to fight the virus, so maybe it's not quite as bad as never been vaccinated or infected.
    Aren't we all prepared for an annual shot, like the flu?  That strain changes yearly and annual shots are recommended.  I think this will be the same.  
    I'd be surprised if they don't offer a twin vaccination for both the flu and CoVid (if it can be done).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    Data seems limited, but most things I've read seem to indicate both the vaccine's and natural immunity wane.  Moderna seems to be the most robust, but it still wanes.   Plus the vaccines are getting more and more obsolete.  They were designed for the original strain, so their ability to prevent infection has greatly been reduced, but their ability to prevent bad cases of covid is still strong.

So this would seem to be an ongoing problem unless vaccine's improve.  After about 6 months vaccine and natural immunity has greatly waned.  So unless better vaccine's come out, isn't the booster thing going to be an issue for a while?  Unless Covid keeps mutating into less lethal strains.

I guess too.. even if protection has waned, your body must at least remember some of the way to fight the virus, so maybe it's not quite as bad as never been vaccinated or infected.
    Aren't we all prepared for an annual shot, like the flu?  That strain changes yearly and annual shots are recommended.  I think this will be the same.  
    I'd be surprised if they don't offer a twin vaccination for both the flu and CoVid (if it can be done).
    Absolutely.  I hope they do. That would be great. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,291
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

yah, but at this rate it's a shot every 6 months, not annually.  The vaccines seeem to lose of a lot of effectiveness by 6 months :(
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

yah, but at this rate it's a shot every 6 months, not annually.  The vaccines seeem to lose of a lot of effectiveness by 6 months :(
    Like influenza,  wouldn't you expect that it becomes seasonal?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,291
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

I would hope, but we seem to get several waves of covid every year, and the vaccines were designed to fight the one 2 years ago, and they run out of juice after 6 months.  hopefully things keep getting better so we get to that point :)
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

If the current data says that being vaccinated or vaccinated plus boosted by todays standards will keep you from the hospital/death, what is the point of getting another boost?  Don't get me wrong if the data shows that there will be a significant drop in protection from death/hospitalization I will be going to get another booster for sure.  I'm just confused as to why anyone would continue getting shots if they are protected against death and hospitalization.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

If the current data says that being vaccinated or vaccinated plus boosted by todays standards will keep you from the hospital/death, what is the point of getting another boost?  Don't get me wrong if the data shows that there will be a significant drop in protection from death/hospitalization I will be going to get another booster for sure.  I'm just confused as to why anyone would continue getting shots if they are protected against death and hospitalization.
    I’m guessing the immunity fades and the virus changes enough to where eventually it’s ineffective. I don’t think they know which point or how long until hospitalization and death is a serious risk again, but at some point it would be. Once a year doesn’t seem like an unrealistic prediction.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited March 2022
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

For me, it's also about my role in minimizing spread...i.e., I don't want to catch it at all, even if it's not potentially deadly. Unless you (the greater "you") can tell me why it's problematic to continue to get the shot, I see no reason not to. I go to the dentist twice a year and that's far more annoying and uncomfortable.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

For me, it's also about my role in minimizing spread...i.e., I don't want to catch it at all, even if it's not potentially deadly. Unless you (the greater "you") can tell me why it's problematic to continue to get the shot, I see no reason not to. I go to the dentist twice a year and that's far more annoying and uncomfortable.
    tell me about it. been 3 times in the last month (regular check up, then jaw pain, then follow up-apparently SSRI's can cause TMJ! WTF!!)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

tell me about it. been 3 times in the last month (regular check up, then jaw pain, then follow up-apparently SSRI's can cause TMJ! WTF!!)
    That explains a lot. Then the TMJ exacerbates my tinnitus :( 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

totally bizarre, tinnitus just started up for me in January, out of the blue, prior to me starting up my SSRI's again. mostly it happens at night when I lie down (and it's not a quiet thing-we have a dehumidifier running 24/7 that can get quite noisy, and it seems to actually make it worse). 

so I'm wondering if I already ground my teeth because of my sleep apnea (fuck I have a lot of issues lol), and that's what caused the tinnitus, and then the TMJ just made everything worse once I started my SSRI's. 

but I quit my SSRI's immediately upon reading that, (but also because of some GI issues that were going on 5 weeks that should have been done after week 2). 

so I'm really hoping my tinnitus goes away. Mind you, I do find that what I read was kinda true; even though it's loud, it doesn't stress me out as much as it did in the beginning. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The L.I.E. The BQE.
    Hippies the bandshell with the LSD.
    Get my BVDs from VIM….

—Ad Rock
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    Avoid the LIE

Avoid the BQE

Save the planet, take the MTA

Without a doubt

it’s the best way to get away
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

totally bizarre, tinnitus just started up for me in January, out of the blue, prior to me starting up my SSRI's again. mostly it happens at night when I lie down (and it's not a quiet thing-we have a dehumidifier running 24/7 that can get quite noisy, and it seems to actually make it worse). 

so I'm wondering if I already ground my teeth because of my sleep apnea (fuck I have a lot of issues lol), and that's what caused the tinnitus, and then the TMJ just made everything worse once I started my SSRI's. 

but I quit my SSRI's immediately upon reading that, (but also because of some GI issues that were going on 5 weeks that should have been done after week 2). 

so I'm really hoping my tinnitus goes away. Mind you, I do find that what I read was kinda true; even though it's loud, it doesn't stress me out as much as it did in the beginning. 
    Take a look at Wellbutrin and maybe even Cymbalta.  I have CFS, Bruxism, TMJ, Tinnitus, etc.  and they both help me. 
  • Options
    benjs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Zod said:

Take a look at Wellbutrin and maybe even Cymbalta.  I have CFS, Bruxism, TMJ, Tinnitus, etc.  and they both help me. 
    Thanks. I’ll check with my doc (and have to check if those are available in Canada)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    Avoid the LIE

Avoid the BQE

Save the planet, take the MTA

Without a doubt

it’s the best way to get away
    LIRR and the Subway sucks...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,908
    Latest version of omicron accounts for most new infections in many parts of the U.S., genomics testing shows  https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/22/omicron-ba2-us-dominant/ 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
      FDA expected to authorize second coronavirus booster for 50 and older

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/03/26/coronavirus-vaccine-fourth-shot/

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    It's over!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ending gov paid for testing seems smart.....

UK hits record COVID-19 levels; nearly 5 million infected
    By SYLVIA HUI
    Today

LONDON (AP) — The prevalence of COVID-19 in the U.K. has reached record levels, with about 1 in 13 people estimated to be infected with the virus in the past week, according to the latest figures from Britain's official statistics agency.

Some 4.9 million people were estimated to have the coronavirus in the week ending March 26, up from 4.3 million recorded in the previous week, the Office for National Statistics said Friday. The latest surge is driven by the more transmissible omicron variant BA.2, which is the dominant variant across the U.K.

Hospitalizations and death rates are again rising, although the number of people dying with COVID-19 is still relatively low compared with earlier this year. Nonetheless, the latest estimates suggest that the steep climb in new infections since late February, when British Prime Minister Boris Johnson scrapped all remaining coronavirus restrictions in England, has continued well into March.

The figures came on the same day the government ended free rapid COVID-19 tests for most people in England, under Johnson's “living with COVID” plan. People who do not have health conditions that make them more vulnerable to the virus now need to pay for tests to find out if they are infected.

“The government's ‘living with COVID’ strategy of removing any mitigations, isolation, free testing and a considerable slice of our surveillance amounts to nothing more than ignoring this virus going forwards,” said Stephen Griffin, associate professor at the University of Leeds' medical school.

“Such unchecked prevalence endangers the protection afforded by our vaccines,” he said. “Our vaccines are excellent, but they are not silver bullets and ought not to be left to bear the brunt of COVID in isolation.”

More than 67% of people 12 years old and above in the U.K. have been vaccinated and had their booster or a third dose of the coronavirus vaccine. Beginning Saturday, parents can also book a low-dose vaccine for children between 5 to 12 years old in England.

James Naismith, a biology professor at the University of Oxford, said he believed that except for those who are completely shielded or not susceptible to the virus, most people in the country would likely be infected with the BA.2 variant by the summer.

“This is literally living with the virus by being infected with it," he said.

___

Follow all AP stories on the coronavirus pandemic at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,055
    mickeyrat said:

By SYLVIA HUI
    Today

LONDON (AP) — The prevalence of COVID-19 in the U.K. has reached record levels, with about 1 in 13 people estimated to be infected with the virus in the past week, according to the latest figures from Britain's official statistics agency.

Some 4.9 million people were estimated to have the coronavirus in the week ending March 26, up from 4.3 million recorded in the previous week, the Office for National Statistics said Friday. The latest surge is driven by the more transmissible omicron variant BA.2, which is the dominant variant across the U.K.

Hospitalizations and death rates are again rising, although the number of people dying with COVID-19 is still relatively low compared with earlier this year. Nonetheless, the latest estimates suggest that the steep climb in new infections since late February, when British Prime Minister Boris Johnson scrapped all remaining coronavirus restrictions in England, has continued well into March.

The figures came on the same day the government ended free rapid COVID-19 tests for most people in England, under Johnson's “living with COVID” plan. People who do not have health conditions that make them more vulnerable to the virus now need to pay for tests to find out if they are infected.

“The government's ‘living with COVID’ strategy of removing any mitigations, isolation, free testing and a considerable slice of our surveillance amounts to nothing more than ignoring this virus going forwards,” said Stephen Griffin, associate professor at the University of Leeds' medical school.

“Such unchecked prevalence endangers the protection afforded by our vaccines,” he said. “Our vaccines are excellent, but they are not silver bullets and ought not to be left to bear the brunt of COVID in isolation.”

More than 67% of people 12 years old and above in the U.K. have been vaccinated and had their booster or a third dose of the coronavirus vaccine. Beginning Saturday, parents can also book a low-dose vaccine for children between 5 to 12 years old in England.

James Naismith, a biology professor at the University of Oxford, said he believed that except for those who are completely shielded or not susceptible to the virus, most people in the country would likely be infected with the BA.2 variant by the summer.

___

Follow all AP stories on the coronavirus pandemic at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic.

This country again fails 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    mickeyrat said:

By SYLVIA HUI
    Today

___

This country again fails 

The US?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    mickeyrat said:

By SYLVIA HUI
    Today

___

This country again fails 

The US?
    Britain.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,055
    Uk yes. Piss  poor 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    I just realized I have gone days and weeks without even thinking about COVID-19.   Maybe saw someone with a mask but that is probably the only reason it comes to mind.  Hopefully this thing turns into th leg flu quickly and can be managed.