Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,669
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,914

Man in Germany gets 90 COVID-19 shots to sell forged passes
    By KIRSTEN GRIESHABER
    Yesterday

BERLIN (AP) — A 60-year-old man allegedly had himself vaccinated against COVID-19 dozens of times in Germany in order to sell forged vaccination cards with real vaccine batch numbers to people not wanting to get vaccinated themselves.

The man from the eastern Germany city of Magdeburg, whose name was not released in line with German privacy rules, is said to have received up to 90 shots against COVID-19 at vaccination centers in the eastern state of Saxony for months until criminal police caught him this month, the German news agency dpa reported Sunday.

The suspect was not detained but is under investigation for unauthorized issuance of vaccination cards and document forgery, dpa reported.

He was caught at a vaccination center in Eilenburg in Saxony when he showed up for a COVID-19 shot for the second day in a row. Police confiscated several blank vaccination cards from him and initiated criminal proceedings.

It was not immediately clear what impact the approximately 90 shots of COVID-19 vaccines, which were from different brands, had on the man's personal health.

German police have conducted many raids in connection with forgery of vaccination passports in recent months. Many COVID-19 deniers refuse to get vaccinated in Germany, but at the same time want to have the coveted COVID-19 passports that make access to public life and venues such as restaurants, theaters, swimming pools or workplaces much easier.

Germany has seen high infection numbers for weeks, yet many measures to rein in the pandemic ended on Friday. Donning masks is no longer compulsory in grocery stores and most theaters but it is still mandatory on public transportation.

In most schools in Germany, students also no longer have to wear masks, which has led teachers' associations to warn of possible conflicts in class.

“There is now a danger that, on the one hand, children who wear masks will be teased by classmates as wimps and overprotective or, on the other hand, pressure will be exerted on non-mask wearers,” Heinz-Peter Meidinger, the president of the German Teachers’ Association, told dpa. He advocated a voluntary commitment by teachers and students to continue wearing masks in class and on school grounds, at least until the country goes on a two-week Easter holiday..

Health experts say the most recent surge of infections in Germany — triggered by the BA.2 omicron subvariant— may have peaked.

On Sunday, the country's disease control agency reported 74,053 new COVID-19 infections in one day, while less than a week ago it reported 111,224 daily infections.

Overall, Germany has registered 130,029 COVID-19 deaths.

___

This story corrects the number of new daily infections reported less than a week ago to 111,224.

___

Follow all AP stories on the pandemic at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,154
    I want that guy putting in for my ga lottery next time.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    Has the news pretty much stopped reporting on this because we pretty much stopped talking about this.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    Has the news pretty much stopped reporting on this because we pretty much stopped talking about this.
    yeah, we were really driving the news cycle there for a while.  I'm glad we agreed to dial it back, help the world..
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    War in Ukraine pushed it aside in the media.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I think we are all hoping if we ignore it it will go away and never come back.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2022
    Positive tests are up in Boston again.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    As long as deaths are low positivity can stay up.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Infections are up in Boston again.
    But hospitalizations are staying relatively low, and Monday the report contained zero deaths.
    And of 237 folks in the state currently in hospital with Covid, only 82 were admitted because of Covid, other 155 are in for something else and then tested positive.
    So, the latest sub variant of Omicron while increasing case numbers (but not nearly at the rate the original Omicron surge did) is definitely far milder than the original strain and Delta variants.
    We're going to have to live with its existence, but in its current form we should be able to.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Infections are up in Boston again.
    But hospitalizations are staying relatively low, and Monday the report contained zero deaths.
    And of 237 folks in the state currently in hospital with Covid, only 82 were admitted because of Covid, other 155 are in for something else and then tested positive.
    So, the latest sub variant of Omicron while increasing case numbers (but not nearly at the rate the original Omicron surge did) is definitely far milder than the original strain and Delta variants.
    We're going to have to live with its existence, but in its current form we should be able to.
    This is the news I like to hear.  Bravo.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited April 2022

America Is Staring Down Its First So What? Wave

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/04/ba2-omicron-variant-covid-surge/629474/?fbclid=IwAR29caJety8AUfHgvOy46_NLeBYCHNoJoVSAYWMxlrG_SqcfCqd6E4oldnQ
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Those are Massachusetts numbers. Also, Monday's report only counts for Friday. Yesterday's three-day death total for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday was 12.

More importantly, I was referring to Boston specifically, which is more densely populated than where you and I live. The uptick in case counts there indicates that masking and social distancing might need to be re-enforced at larger indoor gatherings in Knucklehead City. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,680
    OnWis97 said:

America Is Staring Down Its First So What? Wave

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/04/ba2-omicron-variant-covid-surge/629474/?fbclid=IwAR29caJety8AUfHgvOy46_NLeBYCHNoJoVSAYWMxlrG_SqcfCqd6E4oldnQ
    The Atlantic has been in code red worse case scenario this whole time. 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Those are Massachusetts numbers. Also, Monday's report only counts for Friday. Yesterday's three-day death total for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday was 12.

More importantly, I was referring to Boston specifically, which is more densely populated than where you and I live. The uptick in case counts there indicates that masking and social distancing might need to be re-enforced at larger indoor gatherings in Knucklehead City. 
    You have to test to get positive results and I don't know anyone testing unless they are sick nowadays.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

You have to test to get positive results and I don't know anyone testing unless they are sick nowadays.
    Cool. All I know is that I'm no longer going into the Boston office tomorrow.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Of course Boston is going to be the epicenter of things here in MA. I posted state numbers because they obviously include Boston and overall state numbers are staying steady and pretty low in terms of all the metrics besides positive tests. And it had been a long while since a zero on daily death report.
    Just seems that the metric of case numbers isn't the most important one to be concerned with, severity of illness is definitely far less in vast majority of cases now compared with 2020 and 2021, so if we can avoid another variant that causes severe illness, we may be in a decent place, the thing isn't ever going away, but if it becomes like a cold which seems like what's happening, we will be OK generally speaking.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Of course Boston is going to be the epicenter of things here in MA. I posted state numbers because they obviously include Boston and overall state numbers are staying steady and pretty low in terms of all the metrics besides positive tests. And it had been a long while since a zero on daily death report.
    Just seems that the metric of case numbers isn't the most important one to be concerned with, severity of illness is definitely far less in vast majority of cases now compared with 2020 and 2021, so if we can avoid another variant that causes severe illness, we may be in a decent place, the thing isn't ever going away, but if it becomes like a cold which seems like what's happening, we will be OK generally speaking.
    Well, since your feeling fairly sanguine, I might have some JWIII tix for you if no one else in my family wants to take the boy.

I was in the unsure camp before, but now, I sure as fuck ain't going.

Maybe he'll come back and play an outdoor venue sometime.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Mask up and take the kid.
    I have family stuff that day, so can't go even if I wanted to. 
    Plus looking at the venue map on Ticketmaster, the show has a lot unsold, so you can probably keep your social distance.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Poncier said:
    Plus looking at the venue map on Ticketmaster, the show has a lot unsold, so you can probably keep your social distance.
    At this point, I'm hoping he doesn't know the date and asks me sometime in May when the JWIII concert is, and then I can just pretend that I forgot all about it.

I forget about so much these days that it's not a stretch. I'm a terrible liar, though. I need a Costanza lesson!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    At this point, I'm hoping he doesn't know the date and asks me sometime in May when the JWIII concert is, and then I can just pretend that I forgot all about it.

I forget about so much these days that it's not a stretch. I'm a terrible liar, though. I need a Costanza lesson!

if you're 50, get the 4th booster.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    US experts wrestle with how to update COVID-19 vaccines
    By MATTHEW PERRONE
    11 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — More than two years into the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. health officials are beginning to grapple with how to keep the vaccines updated to best protect Americans from the ever-changing coronavirus.

On Wednesday, a panel of vaccine advisers to the Food and Drug Administration spent hours debating key questions for revamping the shots and conducting future booster campaigns. They didn't reach any firm conclusions.

The questions facing the experts included: How often to update the vaccines against new strains, how effective they should be to warrant approval and whether updates should be coordinated with global health authorities.

Last week, the FDA authorized a fourth dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines for anyone 50 or older and for some younger people with severely weakened immune systems. It’s an effort to get ahead of another possible surge.

But the FDA's vaccine chief Dr. Peter Marks acknowledged at the meeting “we simply can’t be boosting people as frequently as we are.” He called the latest booster update a “stopgap” measure to protect vulnerable Americans while regulators decide whether and how to tweak the current vaccines.

Marks cautioned that waning vaccine protection, new variants and colder weather in the fall could raise the risk of more surges.

“Our goal here is to stay ahead of future variants and outbreaks and ensure we do our best to reduce the toll of disease and death due to COVID-19,” said Marks, adding that he expects more meetings of the vaccine panel in coming months.

Some of the key questions the panel discussed:

HOW SHOULD THE U.S. DECIDE WHEN TO LAUNCH FUTURE ROUNDS OF BOOSTER SHOTS?

One area where experts appeared to agree is that vaccines should be judged on their ability to prevent severe disease that leads to hospitalization and death.

“We need to focus on the worst case, which is severe disease, and we need to change strains when we’re losing that battle,” said Dr. Mark Sawyer of the University of California San Diego.

By that measure, the current vaccines have held up remarkably well.

During the last omicron-driven surge, two vaccine doses were nearly 80% effective against needing a breathing machine or death — and a booster pushed that protection to 94%, federal scientists recently reported.

But only about half of Americans eligible for a third shot have gotten one. And many experts said it was unsustainable to continue asking Americans to get boosted every few months.

A panelist from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggested that the 80% protection from severe disease could become the standard for evaluating the vaccines.

"I think we may have to accept that level of protection and then use other alternative ways to protect individuals with therapeutics and other measures,” said Dr. Amanda Cohn, CDC's chief medical officer.

Presentations at the meeting by government health officials and independent researchers underscored the challenges of predicting when the next major COVID-19 variant might appear.

Trevor Bedford, a disease modeler with the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, said a major new strain like omicron could emerge anywhere from every 1.5 years to once a decade, based on currently available data. Given that unpredictability, researchers will need methods to quickly determine whether current vaccines work against emerging variants.

WHAT’S THE PROCESS FOR UPDATING VACCINES TO ADDRESS NEW VARIANTS?

All three COVID-19 vaccines now used in the U.S. are based on the original coronavirus version that emerged in late 2019. Updating the vaccines will be a complex task, likely requiring coordination between the FDA, manufacturers and global health authorities.

To speed the vaccines to market, the FDA relied on research shortcuts to judge effectiveness, mainly looking at their early impact on the immune system's antibody levels. A number of panelists said Wednesday they wanted more rigorous data from studies that track patients over time to see who gets sick or dies.

But that approach would likely be too time consuming.

“We’re looking at a conundrum here in that it’s going to hard to generate all the data we want in short order when a new variant emergences,” said Dr. Ofer Levy of Harvard Medical School.

A representative for the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority laid out the narrow window that manufacturers could face to reformulate, study and mass produce an updated vaccine by September.

“If you’re not on your way to a clinical trial by the beginning of May, I think it’s going to be very difficult to have enough product across manufacturers to meet demand,” said Robert Johnson, deputy assistant secretary of BARDA.

The process for updating annual flu vaccines offers one possible model, as laid out by a representative from the World Health Organization.

Twice a year, WHO experts recommend updates to flu vaccines to target emerging strains. The FDA then brings those recommendations to its own vaccine panel, which votes on whether they make sense for the U.S., setting the stage for manufacturers to tweak their shots and begin mass production.

But COVID-19 hasn’t yet fallen into a predictable pattern like the flu. And as the coronavirus evolves, different strains may become dominant in different regions of the world.

Several experts said they would need more meetings with more data and proposals from the FDA to decide on a strategy.

“We’ve never been here before. We’re all working together to do the best we can and it’s very complex,” said Oveta Fuller of the University of Michigan's Medical School.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

It's more that I don't want to take the boy. He's just too immature. As Hank Hill would say, "That boy ain't right."

Case counts going up just gives me another reason not to take him. And unless it's a White Stripes reunion in disguise, I have zero personal interest in going. I don't know any of his solo songs, though I do like the more recent ones that I've heard through shitty formats (YouTube, etc.).

I'll likely donate the tickets.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

It's more that I don't want to take the boy. He's just too immature. As Hank Hill would say, "That boy ain't right."

Case counts going up just gives me another reason not to take him. And unless it's a White Stripes reunion in disguise, I have zero personal interest in going. I don't know any of his solo songs, though I do like the more recent ones that I've heard through shitty formats (YouTube, etc.).

well, I dont hear much difference between ws and solo, if that "helps".

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

FORGET THE STUDIO OUTPUT. JUST GO. IT WILL (MAY) BE THE BEST SHOW OF YOUR LIFE. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

White Stripes Coney Island 2005 is quite possibly the best show I've ever seen, but so much of that was because of Meg for me.

Maybe there'll be some YouTube videos of the concerts on this tour before Boston to see if it's worth checking out.

Considering that I skipped the trip into my Boston office today because of case counts in the city and that the indoor show is only 10 days away in that same city, I think that I would have to heavily self-medicate to make it there--and that's not very healthy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,063
    5mil people  presently have it here. Its highest its ever  been.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

White Stripes Coney Island 2005 is quite possibly the best show I've ever seen, but so much of that was because of Meg for me.

Maybe there'll be some YouTube videos of the concerts on this tour before Boston to see if it's worth checking out.

Considering that I skipped the trip into my Boston office today because of case counts in the city and that the indoor show is only 10 days away in that same city, I think that I would have to heavily self-medicate to make it there--and that's not very healthy.
    right, forgot about the anxiety issues. I hear ya. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,963
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

I was at that 2005 show. I agree it was amazing.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,834
    Man, china seems like a fun place right now.