Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    Age, co-morbidities and vaccination rates all come into play.

Florida has fully vaccinated 14,190,955 people,
    covering 69.7% of the eligible population, 5 and older...
    and 66.1% of the state’s entire population.
    5,475,277 people have received a booster shot,
    covering 38.6% of fully vaccinated people. Read the methodology

California has fully vaccinated 27,906,011 people,
    covering 75.3% of the eligible population, 5 and older...
    and 70.6% of the state’s entire population.
    13,578,690 people have received a booster shot,
    covering 48.7% of fully vaccinated people. Read the methodology

New York has fully vaccinated 14,727,470 people,
    covering 80.3% of the eligible population, 5 and older...
    and 75.7% of the state’s entire population.
    6,512,229 people have received a booster shot,
    covering 44.2% of fully vaccinated people. Read the methodology

Covid-related deaths in Florida are decreasing

Florida currently has a higher seven-day average death rate than the U.S. overall.

New deaths reported per day

At least 71,326 have been reported since Feb. 29, 2020.

Covid-related deaths in California are decreasing

California currently has a lower seven-day average death rate than the U.S. overall.

At least 85,849 have been reported since Feb. 29, 2020.

Covid-related deaths in New York are decreasing

New York currently has a lower seven-day average death rate than the U.S. overall.

At least 67,298 have been reported since Feb. 29, 2020.

Population of Flo Rida (2021): 21,781,128

Population of California (2021): 39,237,836

Population of New York (2021): 19,835,913

The numbers for Florida and NY are almost the same for pop and vax rate yet 500% more deaths.  a 10% difference in vax rate shouldn't equal 1000 more deaths. 

California should only have a 20% or so increase in deaths looking at their numbers.

Math doesn't add up to me but it does make me ask more questions.  I had said this before that in another year or so all the data crunchers will have a clear reason on why it went the way it did.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,399
    And she’s clogging up the beltway, not hauling freight during supply chain disruption, partly contributing to higher inflation, and burning fuel during a land war in Europe, which contributes to higher gas/diesel prices. That’s ‘Murica’s future brain trust waiting to seize power and stop the robots. Good fucking luck.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Covid deaths have been decreasing for a year,  the last few months have dropped like a rock.  It's time to make this endemic.

The focus in the news medias shifted a while ago on how many new cases rather than deaths.  Now?  I don't hear a peep on the news about numbers anymore.

We can't "make" something endemic. There is a specific definition for endemic, just like for pandemic and epidemic. 

A disease is considered endemic when it's present in a way that's a relatively stable and predictable pattern. Does anyone really think we can say that about covid-19 yet? This is what I mean when I say that people want to drop the restrictions because they're tired of them, not because of scientific realities. 

Taking BC as an example, hospitalizations are down significantly, but they're still higher than at any time in the pandemic before December 1, 2021. Deaths are also down, but again higher than any time prior to the end of last year. 

Deaths and serious illness dropping significantly is a good thing, of course. That doesn't mean the pandemic isn't still with us. 
    I think where a locality or region is will vary greatly.  Tempo is in NYC and that was hit early and hard even by Omicron.  That's also true of where I am (VA).  Because of our proximity to the NE (population center of the US), things hit us early too.  This variant was raging in December and has fallen off the cliff. 

Seven day average of cases: 975
    Seven day average of deaths: 31

While I understand your point that calling something endemic is a scientific conclusion, not a political or social one,  let me be heartless here.  While this variant isn't a disease of the unvaxxed, it is orders of magnitude more dangerous for the unvaxxed.  Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one.  I can't be worried about those people anymore.   We have excellent treatments as well.  So I can tell you sitting here in VA, I'm quite comfortable with the removal of masks in schools, stores, etc. at this point.  

So what I find odd is that a place like California and Florida still have a bunch of deaths, 1200 each for the past 7 days.  NY had 200.  Now I'm not sure of vaccination rates or because it hit us first or not but that is a huge difference.

this is a partial reason....
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Covid deaths have been decreasing for a year,  the last few months have dropped like a rock.  It's time to make this endemic.

The focus in the news medias shifted a while ago on how many new cases rather than deaths.  Now?  I don't hear a peep on the news about numbers anymore.

We can't "make" something endemic. There is a specific definition for endemic, just like for pandemic and epidemic. 

A disease is considered endemic when it's present in a way that's a relatively stable and predictable pattern. Does anyone really think we can say that about covid-19 yet? This is what I mean when I say that people want to drop the restrictions because they're tired of them, not because of scientific realities. 

Taking BC as an example, hospitalizations are down significantly, but they're still higher than at any time in the pandemic before December 1, 2021. Deaths are also down, but again higher than any time prior to the end of last year. 

Deaths and serious illness dropping significantly is a good thing, of course. That doesn't mean the pandemic isn't still with us. 
    I think where a locality or region is will vary greatly.  Tempo is in NYC and that was hit early and hard even by Omicron.  That's also true of where I am (VA).  Because of our proximity to the NE (population center of the US), things hit us early too.  This variant was raging in December and has fallen off the cliff. 

While I understand your point that calling something endemic is a scientific conclusion, not a political or social one,  let me be heartless here.  While this variant isn't a disease of the unvaxxed, it is orders of magnitude more dangerous for the unvaxxed.  Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one.  I can't be worried about those people anymore.   We have excellent treatments as well.  So I can tell you sitting here in VA, I'm quite comfortable with the removal of masks in schools, stores, etc. at this point.  

So what I find odd is that a place like California and Florida still have a bunch of deaths, 1200 each for the past 7 days.  NY had 200.  Now I'm not sure of vaccination rates or because it hit us first or not but that is a huge difference.
    As Mick points it is certainly population (particularly with CA), but it could be the pattern of the virus,  unvax rate,  basically all of these issues together. 

I'm pretty sure NY got omicron first.  It gets everything first m
    The math doesn't add up.  Florida has almost as many people as NY and a 500% increase in deaths.  California has double NY population and also a 500% increase in deaths.

Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois have about the same population, less than NY and double Covid deaths.

The numbers on this fascinate me.  I wonder about population density, restrictions, timeline, masking and vaxing.
    Vax rates, timing (not just now, but per capita in this variant), age of population like HFD said as well.  It's all these things, who knows.  One thing that is interesting is that PA has one of the oldest populations in the country. 

Masking and Vax are huge.  Density works against NY.  
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

As Mick points it is certainly population (particularly with CA), but it could be the pattern of the virus,  unvax rate,  basically all of these issues together. 

The math doesn't add up.  Florida has almost as many people as NY and a 500% increase in deaths.  California has double NY population and also a 500% increase in deaths.

Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois have about the same population, less than NY and double Covid deaths.

The numbers on this fascinate me.  I wonder about population density, restrictions, timeline, masking and vaxing.
    not to mention the age difference in the southern states as compared to NY. 
    It's all part of what them number crunchers will come up with, morbidity, health etc.

Alabama is known to be one of the unhealthiest states w poor healthcare provided, their 5million pop has 255 dead.  That is on par with Floridas deaths but at 400% more than NY if you use the population calculator.
    And she’s clogging up the beltway, not hauling freight during supply chain disruption, partly contributing to higher inflation, and burning fuel during a land war in Europe, which contributes to higher gas/diesel prices. That’s ‘Murica’s future brain trust waiting to seize power and stop the robots. Good fucking luck.
    I posted this on another thread.  I have a friend that was a part of this.  I had asked "I wonder why they are doing this?"  I got the reply "Are you kidding me?!?"  

I then replied, yes, why?  Mandates are being lifted across the whole US, so this doesn't seem like a good time to be doing this as most states will be open for business by the time you all get there.

I got a reply from them that it's not just now but for what has been done for the last 2 years.

I also jabbed that I was glad to see so many independently wealthy truck drivers.
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's all part of what them number crunchers will come up with, morbidity, health etc.

Alabama is known to be one of the unhealthiest states w poor healthcare provided, their 5million pop has 255 dead.  That is on par with Floridas deaths but at 400% more than NY if you use the population calculator.
    Alabama has had 18,529 deaths. Where did you get 255? They’re averaging 40 deaths a day per day on a 7 day average and deaths are increasing relative to the US as a whole where deaths are decreasing, on average.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
    I posted this on another thread.  I have a friend that was a part of this.  I had asked "I wonder why they are doing this?"  I got the reply "Are you kidding me?!?"  

I then replied, yes, why?  Mandates are being lifted across the whole US, so this doesn't seem like a good time to be doing this as most states will be open for business by the time you all get there.

I got a reply from them that it's not just now but for what has been done for the last 2 years.

I also jabbed that I was glad to see so many independently wealthy truck drivers.
    Plus all the 'mandates' were at the state level.  How is driving in circles in DC going to lift mask mandates in Portland schools.  Honestly, for the 'leaders', it's just another grift. 
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Alabama has had 18,529 deaths. Where did you get 255? They’re averaging 40 deaths a day per day on a 7 day average and deaths are increasing relative to the US as a whole where deaths are decreasing, on average.
    7 day average on the NBC news for the past week.  They have 18,480 total deaths so their numbers should be right.
    mrussel1 said:

Plus all the 'mandates' were at the state level.  How is driving in circles in DC going to lift mask mandates in Portland schools.  Honestly, for the 'leaders', it's just another grift. 
    The thing was they weren’t supposed to clog up DC, that wasn’t the original intent so that changed in the past few days. They were to gather away from there and walk in.  I guess this is more dramatic?
    mrussel1 said:

The thing was they weren’t supposed to clog up DC, that wasn’t the original intent so that changed in the past few days. They were to gather away from there and walk in.  I guess this is more dramatic?
    I thought the original plan was to block DC but then they thought better of it because that's a crime in this country.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I thought the original plan was to block DC but then they thought better of it because that's a crime in this country.  
    it's a crime here too. but apparently shouldn't be enforceable to those that agree with the "cause". 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

it's a crime here too. but apparently shouldn't be enforceable to those that agree with the "cause". 
    Without opening cans of worms, then why were the emergency powers needed?  was it a case that the federal gov't couldn't act and the provincial wouldn't?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Without opening cans of worms, then why were the emergency powers needed?  was it a case that the federal gov't couldn't act and the provincial wouldn't?
    I'm far from an expert on this situation, but here's a great article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/what-ottawa-can-do-now-under-the-emergencies-act/

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm far from an expert on this situation, but here's a great article that explains it pretty well:

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/what-ottawa-can-do-now-under-the-emergencies-act/
    Ah, so this sort of answers it. The ability was there, but the provincial government lacked the will.  

Q. In your estimation, what was not possible to do before invoking this Act? Were there capabilities still on the table that weren’t being fully exercised?

A. It’s my view—I might change my mind as more evidence presents itself—that the vast majority of these powers were already available under the provincial state of emergency, and that the problem there was political will to make those orders. And then I think none of us really understand what went wrong with enforcement.

The big thing that is different here are those financial measures and it seems to me that this is suggestive both of a strategy and of the possibility that there’s information that we as the public don’t have access to just yet.  From the strategic perspective, we all know that the protesters are there for a variety of reasons and we know that some of them are violent extremists. So to the extent that you can get as many people as possible to go home—provide non-violent incentives to encourage them to go home before some kind of really serious enforcement is required or violence breaks out—the better. Those financial measures may be quite important along those lines.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    edited March 2022
    consistent with my experience of v safe reporting very mild if any reactions for all 3 shots I received.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    according to some, I should be expecting an HIV positive result soon. 

www.headstonesband.com

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Alien DNA causes Aids?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Alien DNA causes Aids?
    HFD's womb is now barren too.  He shall not bear children.  
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Alien DNA causes Aids?
    thank god. inserting that tampon every month was a bitch. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Alien DNA causes Aids?
    Vaccine tyranny
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Alien DNA causes Aids?
    oh no. that still happens.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,512
    After  2 long years covid is in my house. Step son is ill and faint line on a test. So this is it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited March 2022
    After  2 long years covid is in my house. Step son is ill and faint line on a test. So this is it
    Anecdotal evidence for sure but everyone in my house got it minus my wife and it was no where close to the worse cold/flu that we have ever had. My kids barely had anything and all I had was a headache. Hopefully the symptoms are mild for anyone of you guys that gets it. Thankful that I missed the other variants and we got the milder one. 
    Thanks  he is 15 double  vaxxed  and has naf aches and  feels shit for 24 hours so far. Now we wait
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    Hope he recovers quickly and everyone else in house stays healthy.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Thanks fever  kicked  in  now. You know with a household its like roulette.  My 4 year old is my  main concern  obviously  not vaccinated  so it will be hard. As i have health  anxiety  and am rendered useless  by illness this will be a nightmare. Test
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    nicknyr15 said:
    My mother in law's pulmonologist was talking to her about this today and said we made a mistake easing restrictions. 
    www.myspace.com
    tomorrow is the day that covid is officially over in manitoba. the schools are officially maskless/cohortless/distancingless, even though the principals of both our schools are strongly recommending kids still distance and mask, but they aren't allowed their own independent policies or to enforce anything. 

until, you know, the provincial government realizes they fucked up and we spend the summer huddled together in our basements. lol

www.headstonesband.com