Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,911
    I sometimes wonder how much we have learned through all of this COVID business. One indication that we have learned little to nothing is this (at least in my area): For quite a while, most stores, post offices, and other places put up plexiglass barriers to protect clerks, cashiers and so forth as well as customers. Plexiglass is expensive. And guess what? Almost all of them have come down. What are these people thinking? Humans can be so damn stupid sometimes. It just blows my mind.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,350
    brianlux said:
    I sometimes wonder how much we have learned through all of this COVID business. One indication that we have learned little to nothing is this (at least in my area): For quite a while, most stores, post offices, and other places put up plexiglass barriers to protect clerks, cashiers and so forth as well as customers. Plexiglass is expensive. And guess what? Almost all of them have come down. What are these people thinking? Humans can be so damn stupid sometimes. It just blows my mind.
    I was perplexed when places took plexi down. Restaurants had it above booth benches as well and took it down.
    You paid to install it. Why pay again to remove it?
    Its clear. Just leave it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    edited August 2023
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    I was perplexed when places took plexi down. Restaurants had it above booth benches as well and took it down.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/well/live/coronavirus-restaurants-classrooms-salons.html#:~:text=In%20a%20Massachusetts%20school%20district,with%20ventilation%20improvements%20and%20masking.

Clear barriers have sprung up at restaurants, nail salons and school classrooms, but most of the time, they do little to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

We didn't use these barriers before COVID but we still smoke, drink and overeat which is way more detrimental to our health than stupid plastic barriers and COVID.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,283
    JB16057 said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/well/live/coronavirus-restaurants-classrooms-salons.html#:~:text=In%20a%20Massachusetts%20school%20district,with%20ventilation%20improvements%20and%20masking.

Clear barriers have sprung up at restaurants, nail salons and school classrooms, but most of the time, they do little to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

We didn't use these barriers before COVID but we still smoke, drink and overeat which is way more detrimental to our health than stupid plastic barriers and COVID.

you're right, sneeze guards on salad bars and buffets just get in the way. we should demand removal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

you're right, sneeze guards on salad bars and buffets just get in the way. we should demand removal.
    Plastic barriers are a placebo that are in place to make you feel better. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly!  I did notice today our P.O. put them back up.  Smart move!
    JB16057 said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

I would not be so quick to judge the barriers.  They are not all the same anymore that a dirty cloth mask is the same as an new N-95  mask.    And even you admit "most of the time, the do little to stop the virus", which means some of the time they do.  And those that do very likely did it right.

I don't understand this persistent urge by some to be so averse to protective measures.  Maybe when those who do that talk get older and have to deal more with health issues, that will change.  I'd bet money on it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,378
    My plastic barrier was removed from my desk a few weeks back.  I'd been voluntarily able to remove it since last year, but I figured no harm no foul, but my work decided to remove all the remaining ones :(
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,720
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

:lol:
    Wait, what, M?  You don't want to spend your morning reading bogus banter from fringe and sketchy "news" sources?
    You're not alone.  :smile:

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,219
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

JB16057 said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

I would not be so quick to judge the barriers.  They are not all the same anymore that a dirty cloth mask is the same as an new N-95  mask.    And even you admit "most of the time, the do little to stop the virus", which means some of the time they do.  And those that do very likely did it right.

I don't understand this persistent urge by some to be so averse to protective measures.  Maybe when those who do that talk get older and have to deal more with health issues, that will change.  I'd bet money on it.

Very good point. Let’s use the literal interpretation of most-

“ While “most” literally just means more than half, it is best used to mean something like 60% to 90%.”

So there have been over 100 million Covid cases in the USA, likely far more when including unreported, but if we use the literal less than half the time for the meaning of most, we are talking about the spread of 50 million cases,

If we average of the 60 to 90 percent meaning of most, say 75% of the time, we can estimate the barriers would be expected to stop the spread of at least 25 million cases to infected Americans.

so in the view of a trump world, preventing disease to 25 million Americans, with a barrier that is already in place, is stupid. Is disease that much fun, trumpers?

Wonder why this country elected trump 7 years ago.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    mickeyrat said:

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,219
    mickeyrat said:

Sorry, but the legendary arpeggio-ist spoke this first, before Greta hit the scene

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

JB16057 said:
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

Very good point. Let’s use the literal interpretation of most-

“ While “most” literally just means more than half, it is best used to mean something like 60% to 90%.”

So there have been over 100 million Covid cases in the USA, likely far more when including unreported, but if we use the literal less than half the time for the meaning of most, we are talking about the spread of 50 million cases,

If we average of the 60 to 90 percent meaning of most, say 75% of the time, we can estimate the barriers would be expected to stop the spread of at least 25 million cases to infected Americans.

so in the view of a trump world, preventing disease to 25 million Americans, with a barrier that is already in place, is stupid. Is disease that much fun, trumpers?

Wonder why this country elected trump 7 years ago.

Maddening, isn't it?!

And thank you for doing the math.  Well said!

• Options
    edited August 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    So right this time!!!..when you have nothing to say..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    but the good thing was when he said, when will we make the new variant..lol..
    but why don't we let Rob tell us about this guy??..oh sorry, i forgot he left the thread for specific reasons..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    edited August 2023
    1. Danielle Baker - read what you share. She's filing an appeal after already having her case dismissed because of insufficient evidence. https://childrenshealthdefense.org/wp-content/uploads/danielle_baker_complaint.pdf

2. Health mandates in Australia - who put Pfizer in charge of that? What kind of idiot would ask Pfizer if they mandated a vaccine and expect them to say 'yes', when the government are responsible for health mandates? https://www.theepochtimes.com/world/pfizer-dismiss-vaccine-mandates-says-no-australian-was-forced-5450311

3. Source is the Daily Mail - a known tabloid that insists I allow their obnoxious ads before reading. I don't even want to be infected with their words, let alone their ads. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12288649/Scientists-center-Covid-lab-leak-cover-feared-s-China.html

4. Opinion piece that alludes to 'breathtaking discoveries by the Telegram' that are conveniently located below the paywall divider. Even if this wasn't complete nonsense like it typically is, I couldn't read it if I wanted to. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/03/07/matt-hancock-should-arrested-wilful-misconduct-public-office/

5. Heart attack mortality rates since 2000 in the UK have significantly decreased. There has been an uptick due to the pandemic, but where you assume this to be because of the vaccines, this completely ignores a litany of other realities - including decreased reporting of issues by citizens during extreme strain on the healthcare system, as well the extreme strain itself (typically reducing quality of service). This is discussed in a few medical journals, but no tabloids (go figure). https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/symptoms-heart-attack-rates-uk-b2393190.html

No responses to the nonsense doesn't somehow validate the nonsense - it's just that 'ignoring' is exactly what should be done with nonsense. Nonsense has been given far too loud of a voice, and isn't worthy of discussion. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    edited August 2023
    benjs said:
    1. Danielle Baker - read what you share. She's filing an appeal after already having her case dismissed because of insufficient evidence. https://childrenshealthdefense.org/wp-content/uploads/danielle_baker_complaint.pdf

2. Health mandates in Australia - who put Pfizer in charge of that? What kind of idiot would ask Pfizer if they mandated a vaccine and expect them to say 'yes', when the government are responsible for health mandates? https://www.theepochtimes.com/world/pfizer-dismiss-vaccine-mandates-says-no-australian-was-forced-5450311

3. Source is the Daily Mail - a known tabloid that insists I allow their obnoxious ads before reading. I don't even want to be infected with their words, let alone their ads. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12288649/Scientists-center-Covid-lab-leak-cover-feared-s-China.html

4. Opinion piece that alludes to 'breathtaking discoveries by the Telegram' that are conveniently located below the paywall divider. Even if this wasn't complete nonsense like it typically is, I couldn't read it if I wanted to. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/03/07/matt-hancock-should-arrested-wilful-misconduct-public-office/

5. Heart attack mortality rates since 2000 in the UK have significantly decreased. There has been an uptick due to the pandemic, but where you assume this to be because of the vaccines, this completely ignores a litany of other realities - including decreased reporting of issues by citizens during extreme strain on the healthcare system, as well the extreme strain itself (typically reducing quality of service). This is discussed in a few medical journals, but no tabloids (go figure). https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/symptoms-heart-attack-rates-uk-b2393190.html

No responses to the nonsense doesn't somehow validate the nonsense - it's just that 'ignoring' is exactly what should be done with nonsense. Nonsense has been given far too loud of a voice, and isn't worthy of discussion. 
    Great post, benjs.

It's worth noting we knew well before the vaccine rollout that COVID fucked w/ the heart and caused myocarditis & other problems... of course that's completely ignored by the anti-vaxx crackpots. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30929594/red-sox-p-eduardo-rodriguez-fully-recovered-covid-19-bout-myocarditis 

But sure... the increase in heart problems is from the vaccine. 
  • Options
    benjs said:

"No responses to the nonsense doesn't somehow validate the nonsense - it's just that 'ignoring' is exactly what should be done with nonsense. Nonsense has been given far too loud of a voice, and isn't worthy of discussion. "

Well said, my friend, and a good reminder!

• Options

• Options
    Ηow I laugh that what you don't agree with is stupidity, then you can imagine..
    Οh Rob, you were so right..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    benjs said:

You didn't read nothing but you have an opinion..again, Eastwood was so right..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    And please, make us a list, which sources are receivers from you??..lol..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,439
    New variant.  I’m scheduling my 17 boosters now.  I believe in vaccines if for no other reason than to spread it to the non vaccinated!  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-covid-variant-ba286-who-monitoring/

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,439
    JB16057 said:

Actually, the greatest risk comes from the vaccinated.
    Promises, promises 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 647
    New variant.  I’m scheduling my 17 boosters now.  I believe in vaccines if for no other reason than to spread it to the non vaccinated!  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-covid-variant-ba286-who-monitoring/

Spoken like a true cult member.