Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,972
    AW124797 said:
    New variant.  I’m scheduling my 17 boosters now.  I believe in vaccines if for no other reason than to spread it to the non vaccinated!  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-covid-variant-ba286-who-monitoring/

Spoken like a true cult member. 
    Blue Oyster Cult, baby!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,341
    AW124797 said:
    New variant.  I’m scheduling my 17 boosters now.  I believe in vaccines if for no other reason than to spread it to the non vaccinated!  

Blue Oyster Cult, baby!

Don't Fear the Reaper
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,440
    AW124797 said:

Thanks!  The cult of being rational and responsible.  No clorox injections or horse pills necessary to join!  
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 647
    edited August 2023
    AW124797 said:

Thanks!  The cult of being rational and responsible.  No clorox injections or horse pills necessary to join!  

There's no booster for this highly mutated new variant and it doesn't stop the transmission, but enjoy it anyway. Have fun. 
    Post edited by AW124797 on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    So.  On FB I have a conservative friend that just heard "They are planning on shutting down the US again."  Asked for sources?  None.  A few friends chimed in "yeah I am hearing about this too now"

Another piped up "I have alternative news outlets that aren't mainstream."

I chimed in that if it came from redit or Qanon to please stop spreading this bullshit.

So.  Be sure to have your ear to the wind because the next big hubaloo is coming.  

Is Q still a dman thing anyway?
  • Options
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-covid-2023-variant-eg5-strain-what-to-know/

New COVID variants EG.5, FL.1.5.1 and BA.2.86 are spreading. Here's what to know.

healthwatch

By Alexander Tin

Updated on: August 22, 2023 / 7:13 PM / CBS News

Health authorities say they're closely tracking the spread of three new COVID-19 variants now spreading around the country.

Levels of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths for now remain far below previous peaks seen during past summer and winter waves of the virus, but have been climbing steadily for several weeks.

Public health officials have said that they're well-equipped for the latest seasonal uptick in the virus, with COVID-19 tests and forthcoming vaccines expected to work for the variants on the rise around the country. 

But the appearance of a new "highly mutated" variant has raised questions among virus trackers about what the coming months could hold.

Here's the latest about what we know about the new COVID-19 variants now on the rise.

What are current new COVID variants?

There are two that are fairly prevalent and one — the highly mutated variant — that is not as widespread, for now. Every two weeks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention publishes projections of COVID-19 variants that are dominant around the country.

The EG.5 variant is estimated to be the "dominant" strain in the U.S. because it makes up the largest share of new cases of COVID-19 compared to other variants. On Aug. 18, the CDC estimated EG.5 made up 20.6% of new infections. 

Behind EG.5 – unofficially nicknamed "Eris" by virus tracker T. Ryan Gregory on social media – is a long list of other closely related variants, virtually all of which descended from the XBB strains that were dominant last winter. 

FL.1.5.1 is the next-largest strain at 13.3% of U.S. infections, the CDC estimated. Dubbed "Fornax" by Gregory, FL.1.5.1 has nearly doubled from the week prior when it was an estimated 7.1% of circulating variants.

Both EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 are XBB variant descendants that share a mutation known as F456L, which appears to be helping them spread more than other virus siblings. 

Authorities have also been tracking a new highly mutated strain of the virus called BA.2.86. That strain was nicknamed "Pirola" by user @JPWeiland on social media. BA.2.86's prevalence remains too small to show up on the CDC estimates and is currently being aggregated with its distant ancestor BA.2.

While only a small handful of cases have been spotted around the world, including one in Michigan, the strain's large number of mutations at some key parts of the virus has accelerated investigations into the risk that BA.2.86 might pose. 

Are symptoms for new COVID variants different?

COVID symptoms appear to be largely the same. Since EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 emerged, officials have generally downplayed claims of dramatic changes in symptoms caused by these closely related new variants, compared to their close Omicron variant relatives from earlier in the pandemic. 

There has been no evidence of increased disease severity from the new EG.5 strain, the WHO reported on August 9.

Experts say other changes in the population, like immunity from prior infections and vaccination, also muddies attempts to compare whether new variants are to blame for shifts in reported symptoms from the virus. 

In recent months, COVID-19 symptoms appear to have remained largely the same as they have for the past year, with cold and flu-like signs – cough, headache, muscle aches, runny nose and fatigue – reported most often.

As for BA.2.86, officials say it is too early to say whether that strain will cause more severe illness because of its worrying sum of mutations. 

The sole case in Michigan was "an older adult with mild symptoms, and [the patient] has not been hospitalized," Chelsea Wuth, a spokesperson for the state Department of Health and Human Services, said in a statement to CBS News. 

In Denmark, health officials said their three BA.2.86 variant cases did not have "symptoms other than those normally seen" from COVID-19. 

The U.K. said its BA.2.86 case was tested at a London hospital, but that it was currently not possible "to assess comparative severity by variant" based on their data.

Do COVID tests work for new COVID variants?

They seem to work, although that may change if one of the strains becomes more prevalent. The Food and Drug Administration has so far not flagged any new issues with the EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 variants, from its ongoing joint effort with the National Institutes of Health to study the performance of COVID-19 tests with new strains. One positive development — Modeling suggests the variant will not evade tests better than other previous Omicron strains.

"Now we have the genome mapped and all that information. We also have the epitopes mapped for all antigen-based tests. We can do computational analytics to see whether or not we think there's going to be any impact on test performance," Todd Merchak, co-lead of the NIH's RADx Tech initiative at the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering.

Merchak said the initiative's "well-oiled machine" has been preparing for manual experiments to validate whether home COVID tests are less sensitive to EG.5 and other variants, in case the FDA decides to call for home COVID tests to be rechecked for the new strains.

"We use the same protocols, so we have comparisons across every test that's on the market, every test that's in development, we can compare them against each other so we have data for everything," said Merchak.

Experts say it's possible BA.2.86's wide changes might change the performance of some tests, if it grows more prevalent. 

U.K.health authorities said it was "unreliable to attempt to predict the combined effect of the large number of mutations" from BA.2.86, but acknowledged there's enough information "to expect significant antigenic change."

Will the fall 2023 COVID vaccine boosters work for new COVID variants?

They're expected to be effective. Vaccine makers say they expect the upcoming rollout of new COVID-19 vaccine and booster shots next month will work for EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 as well, since they are closely related to the XBB.1.5 variant targeted by the revised shots recommended by the FDA and WHOearlier this year.

"We try to select the antigen that will provide the maximum breadth of immunity so that the protection to people is as wide as possible, anticipating that the virus may evolve between the time when the recommendation is issued and the time when the vaccine is produced," the WHO's Dr. Sylvie Briand told reporters on August 9.

On Aug. 17, Moderna said preliminary results from its human clinical trial data suggest its updated vaccines will trigger a "significant boost in neutralizing antibodies against EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 variants." Pfizer says data from a recent study in mice suggests its vaccine will be effective as well. 

The CDC expects, based on evidence and input from the FDA advisory committee, that "the fall updated vaccines with a monovalent XBB.1.5 composition will best protect public health," Kathleen Conley, a CDC spokesperson, said in a statement August 18.

It is unclear whether BA.2.86 could upend those plans. Experts say the strain's mutations might be enough to render the upcoming shots "a fairly poor match" if it circulates more widely. 

As virologist Paul Duprex told CBS News chief medical correspondent Dr. Jonathan LaPook on "60 Minutes" in March of 2021, changes in the virus' spike protein can allow it to evade antibodies and more easily infect someone. Duprex said the only way to stop a virus from mutating is to stop its spread.

"If we block its transmission, if we wear a mask, if we get vaccinated, if we do social distancing, so, there's a practical thing we can do," he said. "But physically, biologically, is there something we can do? Is there a magic bullet we can shoot at it that stops it making mutations? no."

This was part of our @60Minutes segment about #variants that aired in March, 2021. It’s perfectly applicable to what’s going on right now with #COVID19. In just 84 seconds, @PaulDuprex explains the current - and future - emergence of new variants. @CBSNews https://t.co/t30C94658C

— Jonathan LaPook, M.D (@DrLaPook) August 22, 2023

continues...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    So it seems the two dominant strains right now and  this third new variant all stem from the Omicron variant , so in theory the bivalent booster that was produced last year should provide some coverage remains to be seen to what degree in depth at any rate given the newest highly mutated strain is in its early stages I would expect to see Pfizer and moderna adapt once again the current bivalent to include this newest strain, it's early in the season yet
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    AW124797 said:
    AW124797 said:

There's no booster for this highly mutated new variant and it doesn't stop the transmission, but enjoy it anyway. Have fun. 
    You know everything doesn’t have to be taken literally.  I’m aware the “new” booster won’t be ready till the end of September, hopefully sooner and I won’t be getting 17 shots.  Is this the problem?  Not understanding when people, like trump, are being facetious?  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    AW124797 said:

How dare you come on here with your common sense, your ethics,  your morals, and your doing the right thing, not just for yourself, but for those around you.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,644

Thank goodness it was established yet again that the vaccine doesn't stop transmission, something we've known for over 2 years and has been discussed ad nauseum. 
  • Options
    AW124797 said:

How dare you come on here with your common sense, your ethics,  your morals, and your doing the right thing, not just for yourself, but for those around you.
    Hahahaha go ahead and flag me, all the republicans do!!!! 
  • Options
    So.  On FB I have a conservative friend that just heard "They are planning on shutting down the US again."  Asked for sources?  None.  A few friends chimed in "yeah I am hearing about this too now"

I chimed in that if it came from redit or Qanon to please stop spreading this bullshit.

So.  Be sure to have your ear to the wind because the next big hubaloo is coming.  

Nobody chimed in on this huh?

Well, I found the source.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/the-lockdowns-are-coming-back/
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,729

They heard that a TSA “whistleblower” said there’s going to be mask mandates for flying starting this fall. Source: youtube
  • Options

They heard that a TSA “whistleblower” said there’s going to be mask mandates for flying starting this fall. Source: youtube
    Can FEMA camps be far behind? They’re in Hawaii, you know?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

I’m already at the maximum that I can take with the conspiracy theories after hearing about how the space lasers caused all the fires. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

I’m already at the maximum that I can take with the conspiracy theories after hearing about how the space lasers caused all the fires. 
    Someone told me this a couple of weeks ago. 

Apparently there is “footage”.

I am intrigued, but not intrigued enough to dare searching on this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I tapped out when I head "land grab". 
  • Options

Someone told me this a couple of weeks ago. 

Apparently there is “footage”.

I am intrigued, but not intrigued enough to dare searching on this. 
    They consider themselves critical thinkers when it’s painfully obvious they’re just ignorant about wildfires. 
  • Options

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,758
    Lockdowns now!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

lol.  So I looked up on this.  She did say space lasers but never "Jewish space lasers".

It's still funny as hell though.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042

lol.  So I looked up on this.  She did say space lasers but never "Jewish space lasers".

I heard Jewish Space Laser so much I thought for sure it was true she said it.
    I just looked it up, and its sort of true. It looks like she never did say "Jewish Space Laser" but did say space laser like you said. She also blamed the Rothschild family for spearheading the laser program. So that's where the Jewish connection came from.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,965
    "I will not comply" is the new slogan of the easily mislead. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    with a nearly circular venn diagram of people who love to say "he should have complied."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    mace1229 said:

I just looked it up, and its sort of true. It looks like she never did say "Jewish Space Laser" but did say space laser like you said. She also blamed the Rothschild family for spearheading the laser program. So that's where the Jewish connection came from
    Interesting.

It's incorrect to attribute the quote "Jewish Space Lasers" to her, but it's still accurate to say she blamed it on space lasers from a program spearheaded by Jews. 
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,965
    OnWis97 said:
    with a nearly circular venn diagram of people who love to say "he should have complied."
    Hell of a point!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I just looked it up, and its sort of true. It looks like she never did say "Jewish Space Laser" but did say space laser like you said. She also blamed the Rothschild family for spearheading the laser program. So that's where the Jewish connection came from.
    Just to be clear....any mention of the Rothschilds or George Soros is an antisemitic trope.
    The conspiracy theories surrounding The Rothschilds has been around for generations. 
    The George Soros trope is another QtRUmplican anti-semitic dogwhistle
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    It’s a big stretch to go from what she said to “JewishSpace Laser” though.
    Reading more about it, I don’t actually think she even used the term “space laser.” I can’t find the original post this came from, but have found multiple reports saying she was describing what she thought was an experiment to harness the sun’s energy.
    Snopes described it as “Greene theorizedthat a space-based solar generator, used in a clean-energy experiment with the goal of replacing coal and oil, could have beamed the sun's energy back to Earth and started the fires.” and “that among the entities behind this conspiracy were former California Gov. Jerry Brown, Pacific Gas & Electric, and Rothschild Inc.,”
    Saying the Rothschilds are one of several entities involved and taking that to mean it’s Jewish is more than a stretch.
    I just think it’s funny that after all these memes and jokes she never did say it. I never bothered checking because it was so commonly accepted.
    I’m not defending her, it’s still a stupid statement. But it’s also a manifestation of social media as much as her comments. And I find it funny how easily we can run with the story when at best it’s only half true.
    Don’t get me wrong, she’s still crazy. I just don’t think she ever did say “space laser” let alone “jewish space laser” despite so many quoting her as saying it.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    It’s a big stretch to go from what she said to “JewishSpace Laser” though.
    Reading more about it, I don’t actually think she even used the term “space laser.” I can’t find the original post this came from, but have found multiple reports saying she was describing what she thought was an experiment to harness the sun’s energy.
    Snopes described it as “Greene theorizedthat a space-based solar generator, used in a clean-energy experiment with the goal of replacing coal and oil, could have beamed the sun's energy back to Earth and started the fires.” and “that among the entities behind this conspiracy were former California Gov. Jerry Brown, Pacific Gas & Electric, and Rothschild Inc.,”
    Saying the Rothschilds are one of several entities involved and taking that to mean it’s Jewish is more than a stretch.
    I just think it’s funny that after all these memes and jokes she never did say it. I never bothered checking because it was so commonly accepted.
    I’m not defending her, it’s still a stupid statement. But it’s also a manifestation of social media as much as her comments. And I find it funny how easily we can run with the story when at best it’s only half true.
    Don’t get me wrong, she’s still crazy. I just don’t think she ever did say “space laser” let alone “jewish space laser” despite so many quoting her as saying it.
    Any mention of the Rothschilds in a conspiracy or in a context of some kind of nefariousness or suspicious event/behaviour is a dog whistle. Just stop.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,225
    Nancy Reagan once said,"Just Say No".