Options

They told me I was clinically dead

Tuesday was quite a day.

Calling 911, as I realized I was having a heart attack
Having the 2 ambulance guys tell me, "Mr. Beck you are NOT having a heart attack."
Getting to Emergency room, and being surrounded by professionals, who were also informing me, "Mr. Beck, you are NOT having a heart attack.
Screaming at everybody, to take this phone number down and call my wife, please tell her I'm sorry and I love her, and have always loved her. 
Again people telling me, "Mr. Beck, you are not having a heart attack"
Me again screaming, "CALL MY WIFE!!!!"
Now giving in to the fact that I am going to die here, surrounded by professionals who are making a mistake. 
Then getting into a fetal position, turning ghost white, sweating like you wouldn't believe, and finally having a doctor say to me, "Mr. Beck, you are indeed having a heart attack!!!!!"
Me replying, "Oh really, you don't say?!?!?!"
Now watching all those folks who originally thought I was full of it, now spring into action. 
Feeling the pressure of stents being put into me, as I soon realized you are AWAKE for this little fun procedure. 

And I remember EVERYTHING up until that point. 
Because thats when it got real interesting. 

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    You're  still alive. Congratulations 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    Great to have you back! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    Holy shit, man. So glad that you're ok. Let me know if you need anything.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Fuck dude, so glad you're here! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Damn. Glad you are ok. It is scary enough to have a heart attack, but add the extra anxiety of feeling like the medical staff is not listening to you at this critical time. Surreal. Wishing you the very best as you recover. Take the time you need.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Holy shit dude....glad you are still here
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I feel like we’re missing more of that, Speedy. Are you back home now? Feeling okay? Your wife isn’t too freaked out? …or you?

Sounds really frightening — the experience itself and the staff’s handling of it. Good that you were able to advocate for yourself. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Speedy recovery!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I feel like we’re missing more of that, Speedy. Are you back home now? Feeling okay? Your wife isn’t too freaked out? …or you?

Sounds really frightening — the experience itself and the staff’s handling of it. Good that you were able to advocate for yourself. 
    yeah, there is a lot more. A LOT MORE.

I had just finished a 12 hour shift at work, driving 550 miles. I got out of my truck and moved to my jeep for my 7 mile ride home. It was freezing outside! When I got into the jeep my left hand was just ice cold. I was saying to myself, "damn you need to go get some good gloves you old man". I just couldn't believe how cold my left hand was. I drove about 4 miles, with my left hand freezing, and the hot air from the dashboard blowing on it. THEN IT HAPPENED! I wouldn't describe it as severe chest pain though, it was more like my body was doing a complete shutdown. Within 15 seconds I had a feeling my time on Earth was now limited. I'm not kidding or exaggerating in any way. I decided to drive home. My wife was at the health club, so there was no getting in touch with her. I wanted to get home to say goodbye to my kitty cats. Pancakes and Cupcakes. 
    Then I put on some sweatpants and a loose shirt, and called 911. Then I just sobbed and petted my cats until the ambulance arrived. When the ambulance guys arrived, I opened my front door, marched down the stairs, looked at the 2 of them and said. 'GET ME TO THE HOSPITAL IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!!"

I knew by calling 911, the ambulance guys would have the ER ready for a possible heart attack arrival. And I was correct, when I was rolled in, everyone of importance was waiting for me. 
    Had I driven to the hospital myself, I would have had to somehow get out of the car, and find my way to the emergency room. And I'm not too sure that would have happened. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    An amazing, frightening story, Speedy. Thank goodness someone in the E.R. finally got it right!  Good to know you are still among us.  Hang in there and get better soon!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    An amazing, frightening story, Speedy. Thank goodness someone in the E.R. finally got it right!  Good to know you are still among us.  Hang in there and get better soon!
    Thank you Brian. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Holy crap, dude!!  I am glad the ER finally sprung to action.  Glad you are alive my friend and hope you have a "speedy" recovery! 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

yeah, there is a lot more. A LOT MORE.

I had just finished a 12 hour shift at work, driving 550 miles. I got out of my truck and moved to my jeep for my 7 mile ride home. It was freezing outside! When I got into the jeep my left hand was just ice cold. I was saying to myself, "damn you need to go get some good gloves you old man". I just couldn't believe how cold my left hand was. I drove about 4 miles, with my left hand freezing, and the hot air from the dashboard blowing on it. THEN IT HAPPENED! I wouldn't describe it as severe chest pain though, it was more like my body was doing a complete shutdown. Within 15 seconds I had a feeling my time on Earth was now limited. I'm not kidding or exaggerating in any way. I decided to drive home. My wife was at the health club, so there was no getting in touch with her. I wanted to get home to say goodbye to my kitty cats. Pancakes and Cupcakes. 
    Then I put on some sweatpants and a loose shirt, and called 911. Then I just sobbed and petted my cats until the ambulance arrived. When the ambulance guys arrived, I opened my front door, marched down the stairs, looked at the 2 of them and said. 'GET ME TO THE HOSPITAL IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!!"

I knew by calling 911, the ambulance guys would have the ER ready for a possible heart attack arrival. And I was correct, when I was rolled in, everyone of importance was waiting for me. 
    Had I driven to the hospital myself, I would have had to somehow get out of the car, and find my way to the emergency room. And I'm not too sure that would have happened. 
    Jesus... glad you got the help in time. 

Feel better, Speedy. 
  • Options
    Holy crap, dude!!  I am glad the ER finally sprung to action.  Glad you are alive my friend and hope you have a "speedy" recovery! 
    Oh hell, they didn't truly spring into action until, as they were placing the stents inside me, I decided to go into full blown cardiac arrest and say "SEE YA!!!"
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    Wow! It sounds like you did everything right. Thanks goodness you got the help you needed. How are you doing now? I wish you a very speedy recovery, Speedy!!
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Wow! It sounds like you did everything right. Thanks goodness you got the help you needed. How are you doing now? I wish you a very speedy recovery, Speedy!!
    Thanks.
    I came home last night.

The last 20 or so hours I sob a lot. I guess I will have to deal with the emotional process for a little bit. 
    But Im home, my wife Kathy is taking good care of me. 
    My Cats, Pancakes and Cupcakes know something is up, and Cupcakes is spending a lot of time under the covers with me. 
    Monday I will start making decisions on moving forward. The next 2 days are just rest and more rest. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Your story is one that reminds me of my Mom's. Back in 2007 she survived the widow maker. Counseling really helped her in the months following, and continued to for years. What you're experiencing is normal given what you went through my man. Do take good care, and don't postpone setting up someone to talk with (not just saying that because I'm a therapist either). 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Your story is one that reminds me of my Mom's. Back in 2007 she survived the widow maker. Counseling really helped her in the months following, and continued to for years. What you're experiencing is normal given what you went through my man. Do take good care, and don't postpone setting up someone to talk with (not just saying that because I'm a therapist either). 
    Physically I feel pretty damned good. Hell I had 100% blockage! My heart is functioning better now than it has in I don't know, 15 years? 
    But emotionally? Im an absolute mess. Ive told people, people who want to talk to me, to not call. Because all I do now is cry hysterically. And I just cant shut it down. I cant stop. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Let yourself sob. You met the grim reaper and walked away. That in itself is jarring
    to the core.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    So glad you realized what was happening and made the 911 call.
    We all give a rat's ass about you and want you here for decades to come.

Don't watch any Bears games while you recover.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Let yourself sob. You met the grim reaper and walked away. That in itself is jarring
    to the core.
    Well, that is something else we can talk about, my friend. 

I didnt meet the grim reaper.
    When I decided to check out, everything was real calm, and I saw bright green and bright red. 

So everyone and anyone knows I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!!

So I am happy to know, that my heaven, will be Christmas time 24/7 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    to the core.

When I decided to check out, everything was real calm, and I saw bright green and bright red. 

• Options
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    to the core.

I did not see Will Ferrell.
    Because then I would have known I went straight to HELL. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    That's a crazy story. Glad you're home and on the mend.

Did they tell you after why they were certain you 'weren't' having a heart attack?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Let the crying just flow, my friend! No need to try and shut it down. Those emotions need to come out, just allow them.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    to the core.

Hehehehe

here's something more heavenly...

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    edited December 2021
    eddiec said:
    That's a crazy story. Glad you're home and on the mend.

Did they tell you after why they were certain you 'weren't' having a heart attack?
    Yes, they did explain. 
    The EKG that they read both in the ambulance and in the Emergency Room was showing no signs of a heart attack, because an EKG does not show blockage to the artery. So as i was feeling EXTREME DISCOMFORT, because I had 100% blockage, for those 5-10 minutes it wasnt truly a heart attack. Then as I lay there pissed off at all these non believers, I HAD A HEART ATTACK! One that showed up on their little EKG machine. 

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    to the core.

Hehehehe

here's something more heavenly...

THERE YOU GO!!!!!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Sounds terrifying but at least you the wherewithal to know what was going on and how to take care of yourself. Glad to hear you are home and resting comfortably.  Good luck in your recovery.  Cherish every day.
  • Options
    Same thing happened to my father in law, even when he went to see his GP it wasn't picked up.  He eventually had a recognised heart attack and got a stent. Sorry to hear you have had to go through something similar as it sounds horrendous xxxx