America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    I hope I’ve explained myself reasonably, I think I’d like to go back to reading this thread and not participating, thanks.
    Good thing we don't all do that.
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Are you criticizing her for bowing out of the discussion? She's already stated her position why she doesn't feel her opinion might be as relevant (paraphrasing) as that of Americans'. 
    Ok, despite what I said I have to reply one last time with a touch of levity.  Hugh, we've interacted enough I would have hoped you'd recall I'm a dude,  lol (I mean nothing by this and am bothered less than zero by the mistake,  Hugh's a popular guy here).

I was a bit confused by Gern's comment but we cleared it up via pm (so as not to be a distraction here), and I agree with them that if everyone kept quiet and only read there wouldn't be anything to read. I just personally don't see this thread as a run-of-the-mill discussion.

Now I think I can bow out with thanks to everyone on all sides of this issue for helping this idiot learn more about such an important issue (please see my quote below).

Edit: I used the wrong word in my first sentence,  apologies for any confusion. 
    OOPS. knowing your "real" first name and it being somewhat unisex, I always thought were female. Sorry about that. 

Popular? first time for everything. lol
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    I hope I’ve explained myself reasonably, I think I’d like to go back to reading this thread and not participating, thanks.
    I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Are you criticizing her for bowing out of the discussion? She's already stated her position why she doesn't feel her opinion might be as relevant (paraphrasing) as that of Americans'. 
    I just meant that it's a good thing we all don't sit back and read responses of others rather than join in and keep the discussion moving.

No offense intended
    Honestly I'm not sure what good it does. I mean, the 10C Constitutional Amendments I've been trying to pass are being stalled in AET. 
    Ha!  Good point!

I hesitate to state the obvious, but it's Stone's fault.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    I just meant that it's a good thing we all don't sit back and read responses of others rather than join in and keep the discussion moving.

No offense intended
    Honestly I'm not sure what good it does. I mean, the 10C Constitutional Amendments I've been trying to pass are being stalled in AET. 
    Do you really think we need any further amendments outside of the already passed 10C Bill of Rights, amendments 1-10?

Amendment 1: Ed has the right to free speech when on stage. The more the wine flows, the more freely the speech flows.
    Amendment 2: You have the right to bare your arms (and your legs) in the GA pit if it gets too hot & sweaty. No bare chests please, we're an aging fanbase, nobody needs to see that.
    Amendment 3: No child on their father's shoulders shall be denied access to a tambourine.
    Amendment 4:  You have the right to write a number on the back of your hand and assemble in line, so long as you stay in line.
    Amendment 5: You have the right to use 3 x's when mentioning your fan club number online so as not to have your fan club place stolen through shenanigans.
    Amendment 6: You have the right to a speedy merch line at all shows (this one is dicey).
    Amendment 7: You have the right to go to the bathroom during Evenflow at risk of missing an epic Mike McCready solo.
    Amendment 8: Excessive shipping and handling on merch shall not be levied (this one is extremely dicey).
    Amendment 9:  You have the right to receive a Ronald McDonald or a ManBearPig in a mystery box.
    Amendment 10: Powers delegated to the 10 Club are wielded exclusively by Santos L. Halper

This weekend we rock Portland
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Grooming...

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    Poncier said:

No offense intended
    Do you really think we need any further amendments outside of the already passed 10C Bill of Rights, amendments 1-10?

Amendment 1: Ed has the right to free speech when on stage. The more the wine flows, the more freely the speech flows.
    Amendment 2: You have the right to bare your arms (and your legs) in the GA pit if it gets too hot & sweaty. No bare chests please, we're an aging fanbase, nobody needs to see that.
    Amendment 3: No child on their father's shoulders shall be denied access to a tambourine.
    Amendment 4:  You have the right to write a number on the back of your hand and assemble in line, so long as you stay in line.
    Amendment 5: You have the right to use 3 x's when mentioning your fan club number online so as not to have your fan club place stolen through shenanigans.
    Amendment 6: You have the right to a speedy merch line at all shows (this one is dicey).
    Amendment 7: You have the right to go to the bathroom during Evenflow at risk of missing an epic Mike McCready solo.
    Amendment 8: Excessive shipping and handling on merch shall not be levied (this one is extremely dicey).
    Amendment 9:  You have the right to receive a Ronald McDonald or a ManBearPig in a mystery box.
    Amendment 10: Powers delegated to the 10 Club are wielded exclusively by Santos L. Halper

HAHA
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,572
    Ok, despite what I said I have to reply one last time with a touch of levity.  Hugh, we've interacted enough I would have hoped you'd recall I'm a dude,  lol (I mean nothing by this and am bothered less than zero by the mistake,  Hugh's a popular guy here).

I was a bit confused by Gern's comment but we cleared it up via pm (so as not to be a distraction here), and I agree with them that if everyone kept quiet and only read there wouldn't be anything to read. I just personally don't see this thread as a run-of-the-mill discussion.

Now I think I can bow out with thanks to everyone on all sides of this issue for helping this idiot learn more about such an important issue (please see my quote below).

Edit: I used the wrong word in my first sentence,  apologies for any confusion. 
    OOPS. knowing your "real" first name and it being somewhat unisex, I always thought were female. Sorry about that. 

Popular? first time for everything. lol
    All good, not the first time,  likely won't be the last,  thanks. 
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,427
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Poncier said:

No offense intended

Haha!  Awesome!
    Grooming...

The dog is thinking, "Oh all the fucking idiots, why did SHE have to adopt me!'  Grrrrrrrr!"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The new normal.  Man who was open carrying, robbed at gunpoint in grocery store, goes to get another gun from car, shootout ensues, innocent bystanders hit.  The New Normal Folks.   @Halifax2TheMax You will love this one. https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/crime/shooting-incident-north-st-louis-county-grocery-store-wellston-food-market/63-d569c7f8-e6ba-4f09-9181-bd73079d7b1a
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,301
    static111 said:
    The new normal.  Man who was open carrying, robbed at gunpoint in grocery store, goes to get another gun from car, shootout ensues, innocent bystanders hit.  The New Normal Folks.   @Halifax2TheMax You will love this one. https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/crime/shooting-incident-north-st-louis-county-grocery-store-wellston-food-market/63-d569c7f8-e6ba-4f09-9181-bd73079d7b1a
    Clearly, more guns are the solution. Those two women might not have been shot had they drawn weapons and returned fire and the dude who had to go back to his car to get another gun? Should have had an ankle holster. That’ll learn ya.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    static111 said:

Same old story: arm everyone and see who's the last one standing.  I know Chuck was kidding.  Apparently a lot of people took him seriously.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    It’s also a cultural issue in a large swath of ‘Murica. A buffet with firearms? WTF? Doomed. From someone who used to live in Uvalde:

I was born in Uvalde, Tex., lived there recently and love its complex history and people. Like most, I’ve been struggling under the weight of grief to understand the violence that left 19 children, two teachers and a young killer dead last week. But I’m not surprised.

First, you would be challenged to find a more heavily armed place in the United States than Uvalde. It’s a town where the love of guns overwhelms any notion of common-sense regulations, and the minority White ruling class places its right-wing Republican ideology above the safety of its most vulnerable citizens — its impoverished and its children, most of whom are Hispanic.

Second, at news of the shooting, I was struck to hear the words “Robb Elementary” because I knew of its centrality to the struggle in Uvalde over the past half-century to desegregate its schools. Robb sits in the city’s southwest quadrant. So I knew the victims of the shooting would largely be Hispanic. They have been locked into that school for decades.

In Uvalde, simply put, everything north of Highway 90 is primarily White Republican, and everything south is mostly Hispanic Democrat. The city has about 15,000 residents; more than 80 percent identify as Hispanic or Latino.

Most of Uvalde’s political leadership and the heads of the largest employers are White. At the center of town on the courthouse grounds, you’ll find a monument to Jefferson Davis, the Confederate president — installed when the Ku Klux Klan dominated Uvalde politics. (Some of us tried to get the monument removed after the murder of George Floyd, but that’s a story for another day.)

When I heard reports about the shooter, a young Latino, I winced at the reflexive disclaimer that he wasn’t an “illegal immigrant.” It wasn’t surprising to learn that he was bullied for a speech impediment, may have come from a broken family struggling with drug use and had experienced problems in school. Drug use plagues the city, and the courts struggle under the weight of young people’s encounters with the legal system. About 1 in 3 Uvalde children live in poverty.

The killer allegedly bought his guns at the Oasis Outback, a popular lunch spot for wealthier Uvaldeans, known for its large buffet, hunting supplies and gun shop. On most days you’ll also see groups of Border Patrol agents and local law enforcement there. It’s a monthly meeting place for groups such as the Uvalde County Republican Women, whose Facebook page includes posts decrying “the border invasion.”

The Oasis reflects the establishment’s deep cultural reverence for guns, hunting and the Wild West mythology. I wasn’t surprised that an 18-year-old could walk in and easily buy tactical weapons without anyone being concerned.

Continues 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/29/uvalde-shooting-warning-signs-racism-poverty-guns/

Since you mentioned that gun culture issue we have here in America... 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/analysis-how-firearm-manufacturers-influence-american-gun-culture-in-6-charts
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    NY is trying to pass a bill to make it harder to obtain an AR type rifle.

Need to be 21 to purchase a semi auto rifle.
    Need to have a license to buy rifle just like a pistol.
    Will ban the grandfathering of high capacity magazines, making any of them illegal to posses.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,743
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    I have said many a thing he brings up in this video.  His "thought" to me is pretty spot on.  There is a whole lot more to what's going on than just too many guns.

Very well thought out Beaux.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    I bet lawmakers on both sides knew the ban would be meaningless, but they could go back to their home states and talk about what they did as general public wouldn't know.
    I bet lawmakers on both sides knew the ban would be meaningless, but they could go back to their home states and talk about what they did as general public wouldn't know.
    During that time I think the only big headline shooting was Columbine?
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/us/uvalde-shooting-police-chief-pete-arredondo/index.html
    And outside his office minutes later, he told CNN's Shimon Prokupecz that he's not going to release any further information while funerals are ongoing.
      "We're going to be respectful to the family," he said. "We're going to do that eventually. Whenever this is done and the families quit grieving, then we'll do that obviously."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/us/uvalde-shooting-police-chief-pete-arredondo/index.html
      And outside his office minutes later, he told CNN's Shimon Prokupecz that he's not going to release any further information while funerals are ongoing.
        "We're going to be respectful to the family," he said. "We're going to do that eventually. Whenever this is done and the families quit grieving, then we'll do that obviously."

He fucked up and everybody knows that.  I wouldn't be talking to a news camera either right now if I was him.
      • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,427
        It's a very strange response. That guy should resign immediately.
        Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
        2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
        2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
        2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
        2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
        2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
        2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
      • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
        What a sleazy move and the whole private swearing in for the city council. This town sounds fucked.
        It's a hopeless situation...
      • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
        OnWis97 said:
        static111 said:
        BALLBOY said:
        Is it illegal to not own a gun in Texas??
        I don't own a gun, nor does my wife nor my 10 year old daughter.  I'm sure we are in the minority.  At 40 having lived in some really rough neighborhoods in my younger days and never having needed a gun or having been so afraid I would justify getting one, I feel the best thing to do is go with what works which is not owning a gun.
        You can make choices for yourself, as an adult...but your ten-year-old child doesn't have a gun? What kind of parents are you? You're lucky I'm not a mandated reporter or Child Protection would be on their way.
        The majority of people I’m aware of don’t secure their guns.  Having a gun in the house is by default, the ten year old’s gun. I’ve been in houses before with guns loose on counters etc 

there is no law I’m aware of that deals with gun storage. There should be 

in 21 states kids 12 or younger can hunt alone, literally by themselves. They aren’t old enough to drive there but you can drop them off and leave them with their gun. So a ten year old with a gun is absolutely nothing CPS cares about . In Texas you have to be 9

If you were born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, and you are:

• Under 9 years of age: You must be accompanied. Accompanied means: By a person (resident or non-resident) who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control.
        • Age 9 through 16: You must successfully complete a hunter education course or be accompanied.
        I hate to pull a "meanwhile, in Canada..." moment here, but I would just like to say that I have only seen a gun in the possession of a civilian once in my entire life. The US gun culture is INSANE. I'm not sure if Americans really appreciate just how nuts it actually is.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
      • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
        PJ_Soul said:
        OnWis97 said:
        static111 said:
        BALLBOY said:
        I don't own a gun, nor does my wife nor my 10 year old daughter.  I'm sure we are in the minority.  At 40 having lived in some really rough neighborhoods in my younger days and never having needed a gun or having been so afraid I would justify getting one, I feel the best thing to do is go with what works which is not owning a gun.
        You can make choices for yourself, as an adult...but your ten-year-old child doesn't have a gun? What kind of parents are you? You're lucky I'm not a mandated reporter or Child Protection would be on their way.
        The majority of people I’m aware of don’t secure their guns.  Having a gun in the house is by default, the ten year old’s gun. I’ve been in houses before with guns loose on counters etc 

in 21 states kids 12 or younger can hunt alone, literally by themselves. They aren’t old enough to drive there but you can drop them off and leave them with their gun. So a ten year old with a gun is absolutely nothing CPS cares about . In Texas you have to be 9

• Under 9 years of age: You must be accompanied. Accompanied means: By a person (resident or non-resident) who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control.
        • Age 9 through 16: You must successfully complete a hunter education course or be accompanied.
        I hate to pull a "meanwhile, in Canada..." moment here, but I would just like to say that I have only seen a gun in the possession of a civilian once in my entire life. The US gun culture is INSANE. I'm not sure if Americans really appreciate just how nuts it actually is.

They don’t till it happens to their own family! 
        jesus greets me looks just like me ....
        PJ_Soul said:
        OnWis97 said:
        static111 said:
        BALLBOY said:

They don’t till it happens to their own family! 
        And even then they may not care. Freedumb.
        09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
      • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,074
        static111 said:
        ah yes. i know where this is. maybe 15 minutes north from where i live. wellson had corrupt cops and their pd was disbanded and rolled in to one where other departments in north st louis county cover it. 

this is the kind of idiocracy crap we are bound to see more of as guns get easier to get.

it is the wild west of stupid around here sometimes.
        "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
      • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
        PJ_Soul said:
        OnWis97 said:
        static111 said:
        BALLBOY said:

I never have. I've lived in primarily left-leaning places with some exposure to just about every type of place in the US. I really don't think seeing someone with a long gun strapped to their back will make me feel particularly safe. It might even upset me more than seeing someone alone in their car with a mask on.
        1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
        2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
      • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
        edited June 2022
        Another one. Multiple people shot, some killed at Tulsa, Oklahoma medical centre. Authorities currently searching for victims floor by floor, room by room.
        With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
        Nothing can be done. Thoughts and prayers and prayers and thoughts.

Brilliantati©
      • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
        These god damned gun folks are simply NOT PRAYING HARD ENOUGH.

I'm sorry but that is what this comes down to. PRAY AND THINK GOD DAMN IT! HARDER!!!!!!

Sons of bitches
        www.myspace.com
      This discussion has been closed.