Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,130
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    Its ironic, but that’s about all.
    I mentioned our local shooting above which had its four year anniversary on Wednesday.

The day after the shooting a local gun store was having some sort of open house that a lot of people were upset about.  Bad optics for sure.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    I mentioned our local shooting above which had its four year anniversary on Wednesday.

The day after the shooting a local gun store was having some sort of open house that a lot of people were upset about.  Bad optics for sure.
    not sure there is any nra event of this type where guns are welcome.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    OnWis97 said:
    Hobbes said:
    I was down there yesterday. Eating lunch across the street. Explosive dogs everywhere, not so well disguised plain clothes officers etc.  they are making sure no guns or explosives are anywhere near that building. They are fanning out blocks away.  No way you can exercise your 2A rights anywhere near there.  

Really there should be a gun rights protest outside that building 
    yeah a lot of good guys with guns are getting their rights trampled there
    It’s funny because pro gun people boycotted Toby Keith’s restaurant specifically because guns were banned.  They will go to the gun free NRA convention though 

discussions on pro gun forums go like this…
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Toby-Keith-s-Anti-gun-Restaurant-Opening-in-VA/5-1569692/?page=1

I’m glad we can have civilised discussions here 🤣

That's funny. I'd actually think most "freedom" people would recognize the freedom a private establishment has to not allow guns.

But when people live their lives in fear of some mystical "oppression," rationality goes out the window. About 15 years ago, before Minnesota went smoke-free at restaurants, I was living in a small city (Winona) and the Green Mill went smoke free. There was a little piece in the newspaper and I'll never forget the online commenter whining about government overreach...it was a decision by one restaurant. But I think people are just waiting to get outraged.
    If I own a business I cannot prevent my employees from keeping guns in their car, cars parked on my parking lot that I own. We aren’t talking about cars parked on a public street 

Republicans are generally the most pro property rights people imaginable too.  When property rights conflict with guns, guns usually win 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    So, any gun show I have been to, you have to check in your weapon and make it safe.  They will ziptie or lock it while you bring it into the show.  no one is allowed to have a loadable gun or a loaded one.

I don't see this NRA event any different from one of the gun shows.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,972
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    So, any gun show I have been to, you have to check in your weapon and make it safe.  They will ziptie or lock it while you bring it into the show.  no one is allowed to have a loadable gun or a loaded one.

A tad hypocritical, don’t you think?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yeah there is no surprise...just hypocrisy coming from the organization that says we are safer when we are all packing.  Unless you are attending an NRA convention.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yeah there is no surprise...just hypocrisy coming from the organization that says we are safer when we are all packing.  Unless you are attending an NRA convention.
    They preached gun safety for years and since they actually do it now it's hypocrisy?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

They preached gun safety for years and since they actually do it now it's hypocrisy?

advocating for access to guns and possession of guns literally everywhere. just not among themselves when they meet.  yes, its the definition of hypocrisy.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

They tell us that more guns are the answer for keeping us safe. But don't bring it to the convention that touts that message.

Yes...hypocrisy

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

This isn't gun safety...it's a contradiction of their usual narrative that mutually assured destruction works on an individual level.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    That thought has crossed my mind every time I went to one.  I won't lie.
  • Options
    crossed your mind? or was part of your fantasy? :)

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

This isn't gun safety...it's a contradiction of their usual narrative that mutually assured destruction works on an individual level.
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

They tell us that more guns are the answer for keeping us safe. But don't bring it to the convention that touts that message.

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

advocating for access to guns and possession of guns literally everywhere. just not among themselves when they meet.  yes, its the definition of hypocrisy.
    Former president will be there, people for congress...  It's a perfect setup to ambush someone you aren't fond of.  Guns aren't allowed in a courtroom for much the same thing.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    edited May 2022
    Oh the irony. Over the last few days we've heard everything from arming teachers to adding armed retired military and police, but yet at the NRA convention, no one can have a gun. You'd think the NRA would then speak out against adding more guns to schools, but that would be bad for business. They know what's up and so does every politician touting this nonsense of arming more people. More guns = more risk. Any idiot knows that.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Former president will be there, people for congress...  It's a perfect setup to ambush someone you aren't fond of.  Guns aren't allowed in a courtroom for much the same thing.
    kind of like....defenseless third graders at a school?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What are you a fucking sicko?  I wanted someone to cause carnage?
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

right but guns wouldn't be allowed regardless....we understand why....

• Options
    It crosses my mind every time I go to the supermarket, ride public transit or attend a sporting event or any event with a crowd. It sucks to go through life lately thinking at any time you might be a victim of a shooting. All because the gun nutters want guns everywhere without restrictions, or very few. Except at the NRA convention where loaded, open/concealed carry is banned.

What makes POOTWH’s, or any politician’s, life more valuable than those kids’ or grocery shoppers’ in Buffalo? Or any victim? The myth and the hypocrisy are astounding. Good luck.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Isn’t the 2nd amendment partially to protect citizens from government tyranny?

banning guns from anywhere where current or former government official are located renders that justification moot, right?
  • Options
    What we had confirmed at Uvalde is that the police are ok shooting unarmed minorities who "may" have a weapon, but when confronted with someone actively shooting at them and little fucking children, they retreat because they could get shot. How pathetic. Way to reinforce what half the country already think about you after the numerous police brutality incidents the last several years. 
  • Options
    What are you a fucking sicko?  I wanted someone to cause carnage?
    sorry....I didn't mean that and didn't think it through. I just meant the part about having to respond to a shooter. The carnage mentioned by Halifax was meant as a joke. I thought that translated.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    What we had confirmed at Uvalde is that the police are ok shooting unarmed minorities who "may" have a weapon, but when confronted with someone actively shooting at them and little fucking children, they retreat because they could get shot. How pathetic. Way to reinforce what half the country already think about you after the numerous police brutality incidents the last several years. 
    different cops though....not a fair comparison

• Options
    It crosses my mind every time I go to the supermarket, ride public transit or attend a sporting event or any event with a crowd. It sucks to go through life lately thinking at any time you might be a victim of a shooting. All because the gun nutters want guns everywhere without restrictions, or very few. Except at the NRA convention where loaded, open/concealed carry is banned.

What makes POOTWH’s, or any politician’s, life more valuable than those kids’ or grocery shoppers’ in Buffalo? Or any victim? The myth and the hypocrisy are astounding. Good luck.
    I'm sorry that you are afraid to do anything.  You shouldn't have to live life that way.  I don't think like that and I ride the subways here in NYC.  There is a better chance I win the lotto then getting shot.  I think that way to put things in perspective and not live in fear.

Time to tap out of here for a while as this is where the convo turns south...

Have fun among yourselves.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Guns aren’t allowed in schools
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    And we don’t know if that is the case or not yet.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Guns aren’t allowed in schools
    but shouldn't they be? I mean, if more guns in the answer, NRA conventions and court rooms should allow guns in them. Otherwise, you're just sitting ducks! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153

I'm sorry that you are afraid to do anything.  You shouldn't have to live life that way.  I don't think like that and I ride the subways here in NYC.  There is a better chance I win the lotto then getting shot.  I think that way to put things in perspective and not live in fear.

Time to tap out of here for a while as this is where the convo turns south...

Have fun among yourselves.
    Yeah the convo was headed completely in the right direction when we were talking about kids getting shot at school.. but now....shit, better get out of here and head to Houston.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    different cops though....not a fair comparison
    I understand that, but law enforcement has had the opportunity for years to change that stigma. They are the ones who keep shooting themselves in the foot (or shooting others). It just shines a light on the inadequacies of policing as it exists in this country. You don't think half the country is going to be thinking what I just stated?
This discussion has been closed.