Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Could you imagine being a part of that tactical team waiting an hour. 

Then finding kids still alive in the room after you kill the shooter. Not to mention the carnage they would have witnessed after.

19 dead mutilated little kids, wake the fuck up people.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    Its ironic, but that’s about all.
    Why should they move or postpone their event? What good would that do? The promotion of gun culture by people and organizations like the NRA causes these shootings. Whether they have the convention this week or next month makes no difference to what they believe. 

The same goes for the musicians who have pulled out of playing at the convention. Some of them have claimed it’s out of respect for the victims, but if they had any respect for victims of gun violence they wouldn’t have agreed to perform at an NRA event in the first case. They’re pulling out due to respect for their careers and their income. They don’t even have the courage to own their own bad decisions.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    Thanks.  The school wasn't in very good lockdown if she was able to grab her kids from 2 different grades and get them out...

And it also backs up that the police had the gunman isolated so that she was able to do that.
    No way a school on lockdown w an active shooter should have a person come in and be able to retrieve their kids and no one stopped them, someone opened a door to allow them in...
    hard to stop a mother....she probably wasn't going to stop for anyone or anything
    I don't see how you don't find anything wrong with what happened?
    are you surmising the school wasn't really on lockdown or something? isn't lockdown procedural until the authorities get there? a school can't still be on full lockdown if the police need to get in and out
    Some form of protocol was broken.  Kids and teachers lock themselves in the room and hide until law enforcement tells them it's ok.  

Now I understand why the mom did it but it put other lives in jeopardy with her doing that and other teachers allowing her and going through with it.

I am thinking worst case scenario on what could have happened.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    There was one fucked up crazy shooter.  Police in bulletproof gear storm the fuck in there and stop the threat.  WTF.  Stop planning.  No time.  Maybe they had to call the PD lawyer to get approval, or everyone had to charge their body cams… Maybe they were afraid of getting sued and having riots because one of the kids might have accidentally got shot by police.  We will have to wait to see what the information is presented in the near future as to why the fuck they didn’t go quicker.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    Thanks.  The school wasn't in very good lockdown if she was able to grab her kids from 2 different grades and get them out...

And it also backs up that the police had the gunman isolated so that she was able to do that.
    No way a school on lockdown w an active shooter should have a person come in and be able to retrieve their kids and no one stopped them, someone opened a door to allow them in...
    hard to stop a mother....she probably wasn't going to stop for anyone or anything
    are you surmising the school wasn't really on lockdown or something? isn't lockdown procedural until the authorities get there? a school can't still be on full lockdown if the police need to get in and out
    Some form of protocol was broken.  Kids and teachers lock themselves in the room and hide until law enforcement tells them it's ok.  

Now I understand why the mom did it but it put other lives in jeopardy with her doing that and other teachers allowing her and going through with it.

As a parent I would have gone in, right or wrong I’d do it. 

This containment strategy reminds me of the old protocol when planes were hijacked.   The assumption was never they are going to crash the plane. Today it is. 

a school shooter is killing as many as possible and will likely kill themselves or die by police. Waiting an hour means more deaths. They aren’t taking hostages and asking for money and a van to escape.  You breach immediately 
  • Options

This containment strategy reminds me of the old protocol when planes were hijacked.   The assumption was never they are going to crash the plane. Today it is. 

a school shooter is killing as many as possible and will likely kill themselves or die by police. Waiting an hour means more deaths. They aren’t taking hostages and asking for money and a van to escape.  You breach immediately 
    Exactly
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Duplicate post, sorry
  • Options
    From the NYT's

Students who were in the classroom with the gunman called 911 several times, including a lengthy call during which some shooting and other sounds of the attack could be heard, according to Steven McCraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Mr. McCraw described the calls this way at a news conference Friday:

A caller identified — I will not say her name, but she was in room 112 — called 911 at 12:03. The duration of the call, was 1 minute and 23 seconds. She identified herself and whispered she’s in room 112.

At 12:10, she called back, in room 112, advised there are multiple dead.

At 12:13, again, she called on the phone.

Again at 12:16, she’s called back and said there was eight to nine students alive.

At 12:19, a 911 call was made, and another person in room 111 called. I will not say her name. She hung up when another student told her to hang up.

At 12:21, you could hear over the 911 call that three shots were fired.

At 12:36, a 911 call, it lasted for 21 seconds. The initial caller called back. The student-child called back, and was told to stay on the line and be very quiet. She told 911 that he shot the door.

At approximately 12:43 and 12:47, she asked 911 to please send the police now.

At 12:46, she said she not could not—— that she could hear the police next door.

At 12:50, shots are fired, they can be heard over the 911 call.

At 12:51, it’s very loud, and sounds like officers are moving children out of the room. At that time, the first child that called was outside before the call cuts off.

• Options
    All of this so pee brained assholes can play GI JOE with their big guns.

Grow the fuck up.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Exactly

You should discuss the protocol with your schools then.  Take it up with them since you disagree...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    dignin said:
    All of this so pee brained assholes can play GI JOE with their big guns.

Grow the fuck up.
    That's pretty much it 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Exactly

You should discuss the protocol with your schools then.  Take it up with them since you disagree...
    It’s the police but yeah. A strategy that is more dangerous for them, which it is. I’m sure they’ll listen 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    That thought has crossed my mind every time I went to one.  I won't lie.
    It crosses my mind every time I go to the supermarket, ride public transit or attend a sporting event or any event with a crowd. It sucks to go through life lately thinking at any time you might be a victim of a shooting. All because the gun nutters want guns everywhere without restrictions, or very few. Except at the NRA convention where loaded, open/concealed carry is banned.

What makes POOTWH’s, or any politician’s, life more valuable than those kids’ or grocery shoppers’ in Buffalo? Or any victim? The myth and the hypocrisy are astounding. Good luck.
    I'm sorry that you are afraid to do anything.  You shouldn't have to live life that way.  I don't think like that and I ride the subways here in NYC.  There is a better chance I win the lotto then getting shot.  I think that way to put things in perspective and not live in fear.

Time to tap out of here for a while as this is where the convo turns south...

Have fun among yourselves.
    Yeah the convo was headed completely in the right direction when we were talking about kids getting shot at school.. but now....shit, better get out of here and head to Houston.
    Nah, it was this comment that NO ONE batted an eye at...

What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    That thought has crossed my mind every time I went to one.  I won't lie.
    crossed your mind? or was part of your fantasy? :)
    I don’t own firearms and my fantasies don’t include being a victim of gun violence, mass shooting or otherwise. But, unfortunately, my anxiety does. Gee, wonder why?

I saw a lady I know in the grocery store the other day and she told me, "I don't feel safe anywhere anymore.  I don't feel safe going out or being here at work.  I only feel safe at home, and sometimes I don't even feel safe there." 
    I get it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    One place I do safe is at the beach  which is 4 miles east of my home. I can see people from a distance carrying a  leach for their dogs or sometimes just butt naked. Most folks here in South Florida are usually peaceful at the ⛱️ Beach.

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PP193448 said:

Exactly

It’s the police but yeah. A strategy that is more dangerous for them, which it is. I’m sure they’ll listen 
    I get why they are making them do it, but I am like you, I'd want my kids out.  If you had to sit and wait that long then there is a problem and something else needs to get done, I'm with you.

If I was a teacher I would have escorted the kids out the damn window to safety.  No way I'd want to stay in there.  I'd have had my ass reprimanded, but I'd live with it.

That mom though could have gotten other kids killed by doing what she did.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    this can go here too

Have we brought up that Cruz and Co sent a letter to Biden demanding lifting sanctions on russian ammunition manufacturing because it was seen as a slippery slope to gun control by the NRA?

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/27/this-is-an-attempt-at-control-ted-cruz-fought-russian-sanctions-over-ammo-shortage-concerns_partner/
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    g under p said:
    Wait you mean to tell me someone 18 can buy that many rounds and automatic rifles as if one is going to war. I hope that was not all at one time. That's crazy, I hope that's not the the case here in Florida. 

✌️
    Yes. It’s not an automatic rifle though. 

I can go buy 50,000 rounds of ammo right now. Doesn’t even raise an eyebrow 

pretty sure they don’t even have covid related supply chain limits.  As in one box per customer. I remember when that was the case for toilet paper 
    Ammo has been hard to find for the last several years.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    PP193448 said:

Exactly

I get why they are making them do it, but I am like you, I'd want my kids out.  If you had to sit and wait that long then there is a problem and something else needs to get done, I'm with you.

If I was a teacher I would have escorted the kids out the damn window to safety.  No way I'd want to stay in there.  I'd have had my ass reprimanded, but I'd live with it.

Not to sidetrack the discussion but one minute before he crashed his car a teacher propped open a door. If I was betting the school has crap AC and it was hot.  Since doors seem to be a constant cause cited 

I only say that because my kids school had AC from the 70’s and the kids have started taking pictures of the thermostat on their iPads. It’s way over 80 degrees all the time. 

District can’t afford to fix it. The well funded PTA offered to replace it. That’s a no too because it’s not fair to the more disadvantaged schools in the district. Uvalde is pretty disadvantaged to begin with so they probably have no funding and no well funded PTA.  

What if it’s not even about doors, it’s about a crappy AC unit ? You’ve got people like Ted Cruz saying the door should have been locked. That puts blame on the school. Asking why the door was open in the first place could very well make it a funding issue and the politicians fault 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    this is something out of the fucking walking dead. this poor kid is going to be messed up for a long, long time. this is not normal. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PP193448 said:

Exactly

Not to sidetrack the discussion but one minute before he crashed his car a teacher propped open a door. If I was betting the school has crap AC and it was hot.  Since doors seem to be a constant cause cited 

I only say that because my kids school had AC from the 70’s and the kids have started taking pictures of the thermostat on their iPads. It’s way over 80 degrees all the time. 

District can’t afford to fix it. The well funded PTA offered to replace it. That’s a no too because it’s not fair to the more disadvantaged schools in the district. Uvalde is pretty disadvantaged to begin with so they probably have no funding and no well funded PTA.  

What if it’s not even about doors, it’s about a crappy AC unit ?
    That isn't what I was getting at.  If the school was indeed on lockdown a mom shouldn't be able to come in and grab her kids.  People weren't doing their jobs and that mom put others at risk.

I did think about the AC thing because that is why I mentioned fleeing out the window.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,668
    Imagine being 10 years old and having to tell the press that you lost almost all your friends in a mass shooting at school? Anyone remember what it was like in high school or junior high to lose a classmate in a car accident or to a fatal disease like cancer or leukemia? Imagine being 10 and dealing with that trauma?

21 lost lives

Today’s newsletter contains photographs and a brief sketch of each of the 19 children. It includes the same for the two Robb teachers murdered in the attack: Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia. You can read more by clicking on the links below.

Maite Rodriguez, her mother’s only daughter, dreamed of becoming a marine biologist.

Tess Marie Mata played the same position on her softball team — second base — as her favorite Houston Astros player.
    Layla Salazar sang “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” by Guns N’ Roses, with her father on their morning drives to school.

Xavier Lopez made the honor roll on Tuesday, which would turn out to be the last day of his life.

The 19 children killed that day at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, were both typical and extraordinary. To read their life stories — as journalists and family members compile them this week — is devastating. We think that it’s also necessary, as a tribute to the children and an acknowledgment of the toll of this country’s unique gun violence.

From left: Alexandria “Lexi” Aniyah Rubio, Amerie Jo Garza, Tess Marie Mata and Jose Flores.

Alexandria Aniyah Rubio, 10: Alexandria, who went by Lexi, played softball and basketball and wanted to be a lawyer when she grew up. Her parents saw her make the honor roll with straight A’s and receive a good-citizen award at her school on the day she was killed.

Amerie Jo Garza, 10: Amerie was “a jokester, always smiling,” her father said. She liked playing with Play-Doh and spending time with friends during recess. “She was very social,” he said. “She talked to everybody.”

Tess Marie Mata, 10: Tess liked TikTok dance videos, Ariana Grande and getting her hair curled, The Washington Post reported. And she loved José Altuve, the diminutive Houston Astros star whose position she emulated. She was saving money for a family trip to Disney World once her older sister, Faith, graduated from college next year.

Jose Flores: “My little Josesito,” his grandfather called him. He was an energetic baseball and video-game enthusiast. In a photo his grandfather keeps in his wallet, Jose has a beaming smile and wore a T-shirt reading, “Tough guys wear pink.”

From left: Miranda Mathis, Maite Rodriguez, Makenna Lee Elrod, Xavier Lopez

Miranda Mathis, 11: Miranda “was very loving and very talkative,” the mother of a close friend told The Austin American-Statesman. Miranda would often ask the mother to do her hair like her friend’s.

Maite Rodriguez, 10: Maite dreamed of attending Texas A&M University to become a marine biologist, a cousin wrote on Facebook: “She was her mom’s best friend.”

Makenna Lee Elrod, 10: Makenna liked to sing and dance, play with fidget toys and practice softball and gymnastics, an aunt told ABC News. She also loved animals, and hiding notes for her family to find. She recently gave her friend Chloe a friendship bracelet.

Xavier Lopez, 10: An exuberant baseball and soccer player, Xavier also chatted on the phone with his girlfriend and made the honor roll. “He was funny, never serious,” his mother, Felicha Martinez, told The Washington Post. “That smile I will never forget. It would always cheer anyone up.”

From left: Eliana “Ellie” Garcia, Layla Salazar, Eliahana Cruz Torres, Alithia Ramirez

Eliana Garcia, 9: The second-eldest of five girls, Ellie helped around the house, reminding her grandparents to take their pills, helping mow the lawn and babysitting her younger sisters, her grandfather told The Los Angeles Times. She loved “Encanto,” dancing for TikTok videos, cheerleading and basketball.

Layla Salazar, 10: Layla also liked dancing to TikTok videos, and she won six races at the school’s field day, her father told The Associated Press. She and her dad would sing every morning on their drive to school.

Eliahana Cruz Torres, 10: Eliahana played softball and particularly looked forward to wearing her green and gray uniform, along with eye black grease. The final game of the season was scheduled for Tuesday, and she was hoping to make the Uvalde All-Star team.

Alithia Ramirez, 10: Alithia loved to draw. She wanted to become an artist, her father told a San Antonio TV station. After a car struck and killed her best friend last year, Alithia sent his parents a drawing of him sketching her portrait in heaven and her sketching his portrait on earth.

From left: Jackie Cazares, Annabelle Rodriguez, Jailah Silguero, Jayce Luevanos

Jackie Cazares and Annabelle Rodriguez were cousins in the same class. Jackie was the social one. “She always had to be the center of attention,” her aunt said. “She was my little diva.” Annabelle was quieter. But the girls were close — so close that Annabelle’s twin sister, who was home-schooled, “was always jealous.”

Jailah Silguero, 10: Jailah was the youngest of four children, the “baby” of the family, her father said. Her mother told Univision that Jailah liked to dance and film videos on TikTok.

Jayce Luevanos, 10: Jayce, Jailah’s cousin, would brew a pot of coffee for his grandparents every morning, his grandfather told USA Today. Friends would come over to his house, a block from the school, to play in the yard. He enjoyed making people laugh, another relative told The Daily Beast.

From Left: Uziyah Garcia, Nevaeh Bravo, Rojelio Torres

Uziyah Garcia, 9: Uziyah enjoyed video games and football. His grandfather told The Los Angeles Times that Uziyah “was the type of kid [who] could get interested in anything in five minutes. Just the perfect kid, as far as I’m concerned.”

Nevaeh Bravo, 10: “She’s flying with the angels now,” a cousin wrote on Twitter.

Rojelio Torres, 10, was “intelligent, hard-working and helpful,” his aunt told a San Antonio television station.

From left: Eva Mireles, Irma Garcia

Eva Mireles, 44: “She loved those children,” a neighbor said. Mireles had worked for the school district for about 17 years. She enjoyed running and hiking. “She was just very adventurous and courageous and vivacious and could light up a room,” a relative told ABC News.

Irma Garcia, 46: Garcia spent 23 years at Robb Elementary, five of them as Mireles’s co-teacher. She liked to sing along to classic rock tunes and help her nephew, a college student, with his homework. Garcia was known as a steadfast optimist. She enjoyed barbecuing with her husband of 24 years, Joe; he died yesterday, of a heart attack.

Today’s news

• During the hour the gunman was inside the school, parents pleaded with officers to storm in, witnesses said, and some parents tried to do so themselves.
    • Officials also said that the gunman had entered the school unimpeded, contradicting reports of a confrontation with an officer.
    • Senators discussed a bipartisan compromise on new gun laws, but leaders of both parties signaled skepticism. The Times asked Republican senators whether they’d support bills to strengthen background checks. Here are their answers.
    • The N.R.A.’s convention in Houston starts today. Speakers include Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

Continue reading the main story

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    this is something out of the fucking walking dead. this poor kid is going to be messed up for a long, long time. this is not normal. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html
    I read that this morning and didn't want to post it.  That one choked me up.
  • Options
    yes you were so abused....my comment meant your assumed fantasy about having to scramble to use your weapon

It was a joke. I apologized. Move on.
    Pretty sick fucking joke Hoss...  Again no one batted an eye...
    Don’t think no one batted an eye. By the time I saw it, it was addressed. No need to comment further.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    Why should they move or postpone their event? What good would that do? The promotion of gun culture by people and organizations like the NRA causes these shootings. Whether they have the convention this week or next month makes no difference to what they believe. 

The same goes for the musicians who have pulled out of playing at the convention. Some of them have claimed it’s out of respect for the victims, but if they had any respect for victims of gun violence they wouldn’t have agreed to perform at an NRA event in the first case. They’re pulling out due to respect for their careers and their income. They don’t even have the courage to own their own bad decisions.  
    you are absolutely correct.  
  • Options

Teachers regularly prop doors open so they can take a shortcut into the building or something. Happens every day at most schools I’ve been at. You might see a staff wide email every once in a while asking people not to do it, or it’s a deduction during the fire inspection. But it’s common practice.
    Sounds like that’s how this shooter got into the building and probably how the mom did too. In lockdown teachers are usually assigned certain doors to lock. But it’s meaningless if doors that are supposed to remain locked are propped open. Because no one is checking and locking those during a lockdown.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Absolutely sickened and horrified by the endless cycle of gun violence in this country. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Locking and not propping doors to a school open should not be our collective answer to gun violence in america as it relates to school shootings.  How lazy.  No nationalism, no white supremecy, no ease of access to guns, not social media distorting peoples views of one another on a human level.  lets just keep doing what we are doing and lock the doors JFC..none of this would ever happen if people just knew the doors to the school were locked...give me a break
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

I didn’t think they would, and not surprised at all that they didn’t.
    It wouldn’t do any “good” or change anything. But it’s just poor taste in my opinion. 
    I mean, it’s like if every year Minneapolis had a pro-cop parade. And last year it was scheduled for the same weekend the Floyd verdict came out. Would be a little poor taste to continue to hold it that weekend wouldnt you think? Would it change anything to move it? No.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Teachers regularly prop doors open so they can take a shortcut into the building or something. Happens every day at most schools I’ve been at. You might see a staff wide email every once in a while asking people not to do it, or it’s a deduction during the fire inspection. But it’s common practice.
    Sounds like that’s how this shooter got into the building and probably how the mom did too. In lockdown teachers are usually assigned certain doors to lock. But it’s meaningless if doors that are supposed to remain locked are propped open. Because no one is checking and locking those during a lockdown.
    It’s also just just teachers. Students do it all the time to sneak off campus or late friends who came late it. A school I was at several years ago a former student brought in a gun and picked a fight with a kid, using a door that was propped open. Luckily he didn’t shoot anyone, but he was seen on camera coming in with a gun.
    My last school probably 50 kids a day would come in and out by the door next to my room. They’d leave, hang out down the street, get some fast food, and come back a couple hours later. Admin refused to alarm or monitor this door. And this was only one of several they used every day.
    During a lockdown, no one is assigned that door because it is assumed it’s always locked during school hours, when in reality it gets propped open with a small rock or something every day.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    let it be in poor taste and show the world who these fucking assholes are. I agree with Often wholeheartedly. they are pulling out for optics and nothing else. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.