America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    Its ironic, but that’s about all.
    So, any gun show I have been to, you have to check in your weapon and make it safe.  They will ziptie or lock it while you bring it into the show.  no one is allowed to have a loadable gun or a loaded one.

I don't see this NRA event any different from one of the gun shows.
    A tad hypocritical, don’t you think?
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    NRA is banning guns at their own convention. Laughable. I understand it’s the request of the secret service as trump will be in attendance, for his safety. Bans keep people safe, apparently. 
    I think it’s horrible timing and bad taste to not move or postpone the event. But you can’t fault anyone for enforcing no guns at an event with a former president, even if it is the NRA.
    So, any gun show I have been to, you have to check in your weapon and make it safe.  They will ziptie or lock it while you bring it into the show.  no one is allowed to have a loadable gun or a loaded one.

Yeah there is no surprise...just hypocrisy coming from the organization that says we are safer when we are all packing.  Unless you are attending an NRA convention.
    They preached gun safety for years and since they actually do it now it's hypocrisy?
    This isn't gun safety...it's a contradiction of their usual narrative that mutually assured destruction works on an individual level.
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yeah there is no surprise...just hypocrisy coming from the organization that says we are safer when we are all packing.  Unless you are attending an NRA convention.
    They preached gun safety for years and since they actually do it now it's hypocrisy?
    They tell us that more guns are the answer for keeping us safe. But don't bring it to the convention that touts that message.

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

advocating for access to guns and possession of guns literally everywhere. just not among themselves when they meet.  yes, its the definition of hypocrisy.
    Former president will be there, people for congress...  It's a perfect setup to ambush someone you aren't fond of.  Guns aren't allowed in a courtroom for much the same thing.
    kind of like....defenseless third graders at a school?
    Guns aren’t allowed in schools
    but shouldn't they be? I mean, if more guns in the answer, NRA conventions and court rooms should allow guns in them. Otherwise, you're just sitting ducks! 
    You forgot airports, hospitals, government buildings, and anywhere that posts no guns allowed signs…
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

This isn't gun safety...it's a contradiction of their usual narrative that mutually assured destruction works on an individual level.
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

They tell us that more guns are the answer for keeping us safe. But don't bring it to the convention that touts that message.

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

advocating for access to guns and possession of guns literally everywhere. just not among themselves when they meet.  yes, its the definition of hypocrisy.
    Former president will be there, people for congress...  It's a perfect setup to ambush someone you aren't fond of.  Guns aren't allowed in a courtroom for much the same thing.
    but shouldn't they be? I mean, if more guns in the answer, NRA conventions and court rooms should allow guns in them. Otherwise, you're just sitting ducks! 

I keep thinking over and over something Henry Rollins quoted Black Flag bassist Chuck Dukowski once having said with an ironic twist,  "Why don't we just arm everyone and see who is the last one standing."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,669
    What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    That thought has crossed my mind every time I went to one.  I won't lie.
    It crosses my mind every time I go to the supermarket, ride public transit or attend a sporting event or any event with a crowd. It sucks to go through life lately thinking at any time you might be a victim of a shooting. All because the gun nutters want guns everywhere without restrictions, or very few. Except at the NRA convention where loaded, open/concealed carry is banned.

What makes POOTWH’s, or any politician’s, life more valuable than those kids’ or grocery shoppers’ in Buffalo? Or any victim? The myth and the hypocrisy are astounding. Good luck.
    I'm sorry that you are afraid to do anything.  You shouldn't have to live life that way.  I don't think like that and I ride the subways here in NYC.  There is a better chance I win the lotto then getting shot.  I think that way to put things in perspective and not live in fear.

Time to tap out of here for a while as this is where the convo turns south...

Have fun among yourselves.
    I’m not afraid to do things, not at all. I do those things regularly. Except now, they’re more anxiety producing and less enjoyable because my brain is calculating the “what ifs,” and if A then B, then C and as far as I can go with options. All in about 10-20 seconds of thoughts flashing through my mind and it repeats as the situation changes, say every time the doors open or new people enter the car. Mostly because I know how easy it is to get weapons of war and how vulnerable we are to those weapons going about our daily lives. So yea, thanks NRA and repubs, hypocrites that you are. And I’m not the only one feeling this way. Far from it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    What we had confirmed at Uvalde is that the police are ok shooting unarmed minorities who "may" have a weapon, but when confronted with someone actively shooting at them and little fucking children, they retreat because they could get shot. How pathetic. Way to reinforce what half the country already think about you after the numerous police brutality incidents the last several years. 
    And we don’t know if that is the case or not yet.
    We don't for sure, but based off that sketchy press conference yesterday, unless some information changes (again), I think we're looking at a major failure. Look, that DPS rep, the chief and any officer involved, know exactly what went down at this point. Between video and live accounts, they know, but what they are trying to do is make sure they have their story bulletproof. Once the dust settles, I'll be surprised if LE and the local politicians aren't all hanging the blame on an unlocked door and a mental health problem. They will do anything to push the blame.

I assume that Uvalde doesn't have body cams since I haven't heard that mentioned yet.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

I keep thinking over and over something Henry Rollins quoted Black Flag bassist Chuck Dukowski once having said with an ironic twist,  "Why don't we just arm everyone and see who is the last one standing."
    I have made this argument about open carry. At some point the cops won't be able to tell who the good and bad are. None of us will. We will just have to walk around with our guns pointed at everyone hoping we get the jump on them.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Wait you mean to tell me someone 18 can buy that many rounds and automatic rifles as if one is going to war. I hope that was not all at one time. That's crazy, I hope that's not the the case here in Florida. 

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    g under p said:
    Wait you mean to tell me someone 18 can buy that many rounds and automatic rifles as if one is going to war. I hope that was not all at one time. That's crazy, I hope that's not the the case here in Florida. 

✌️
    Yes. It’s not an automatic rifle though. 

I can go buy 50,000 rounds of ammo right now. Doesn’t even raise an eyebrow 

pretty sure they don’t even have covid related supply chain limits.  As in one box per customer. I remember when that was the case for toilet paper 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    PP193448 said:
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

You forgot airports, hospitals, government buildings, and anywhere that posts no guns allowed signs…
    Interesting. I thought criminals didn't obey rules and laws. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    brianlux said:
    PP193448 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

Yes...hypocrisy
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:

I have made this argument about open carry. At some point the cops won't be able to tell who the good and bad are. None of us will. We will just have to walk around with our guns pointed at everyone hoping we get the jump on them.

Sadly, yet another reason why I more and more become reclusive. Not that I'm fishing for sympathy- I just don't trust strangers any more. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,834
    What if a bad guy with a gun shows up at the convention of good guys with guns and the good guys with guns have to use their buck knives to cut the zip ties and then scramble to find the ammo for their clips? Imagine the carnage?
    It crosses my mind every time I go to the supermarket, ride public transit or attend a sporting event or any event with a crowd. It sucks to go through life lately thinking at any time you might be a victim of a shooting. All because the gun nutters want guns everywhere without restrictions, or very few. Except at the NRA convention where loaded, open/concealed carry is banned.

What makes POOTWH’s, or any politician’s, life more valuable than those kids’ or grocery shoppers’ in Buffalo? Or any victim? The myth and the hypocrisy are astounding. Good luck.
    This crossed my mind everyday and I’m in a city that has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. Go figure. 

• Options
    Looks like more great news for Uvalde PD.

Texas police who responded to Tuesday's mass shooting at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school wouldn't let a tactical squad of federal agents immediately go into the school to stop the gunman, two officials briefed on the situation told New York Times.

The officials told the Times that the Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement tactical team was forced to wait nearly an hour before they went in and shot and killed the gunman, who massacred 19 children and two adults at Robb Elementary School.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

Texas Police Prevented Federal Agents From Stopping Gunman: NYT (insider.com)

• Options
    how does a local police force overrule a federal tactical team?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082

I'm sorry that you are afraid to do anything.  You shouldn't have to live life that way.  I don't think like that and I ride the subways here in NYC.  There is a better chance I win the lotto then getting shot.  I think that way to put things in perspective and not live in fear.

Yeah the convo was headed completely in the right direction when we were talking about kids getting shot at school.. but now....shit, better get out of here and head to Houston.
    Nah, it was this comment that NO ONE batted an eye at...

crossed your mind? or was part of your fantasy? :)
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2022
    yes you were so abused....my comment meant your assumed fantasy about having to scramble to use your weapon

It was a joke. I apologized. Move on.

I think we all understood that except for you
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,669

Yeah the convo was headed completely in the right direction when we were talking about kids getting shot at school.. but now....shit, better get out of here and head to Houston.

I don’t own firearms and my fantasies don’t include being a victim of gun violence, mass shooting or otherwise. But, unfortunately, my anxiety does. Gee, wonder why?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    yes you were so abused....my comment meant your assumed fantasy about having to scramble to use your weapon

Pretty sick fucking joke Hoss...  Again no one batted an eye...
  • Options
    edited May 2022

again....you related the joke to carnage. I was relating the joke to scrambling to use your weapon.  Bad joke given the circumstances. I can't say much more than that.

• Options
    Thanks.  The school wasn't in very good lockdown if she was able to grab her kids from 2 different grades and get them out...

• Options
    Thanks.  The school wasn't in very good lockdown if she was able to grab her kids from 2 different grades and get them out...

And it also backs up that the police had the gunman isolated so that she was able to do that.

• Options

I think cause most of us took it like gern meant it. plus, he apologized. No need to swede/dave a this scenario. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    19 little kids are dead. I think we can all handle some misconstrued words on a bands website. Jesus. I knew what he meant and I also read his apology after.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137

Yeah I could see that.  I understood it to be a joke, but I can see how it's a comment that makes it hard to continue debate.  But I don't think he meant it as personal as it came across.

Honestly though in gun control debate....it bothers me that we always focus on what we need to ban....instead of what shouldn't be banned.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited May 2022

again....you related the joke to carnage. I was relating the joke to scrambling to use your weapon.  Bad joke given the circumstances. I can't say much more than that.

Dropping it...
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options

And it also backs up that the police had the gunman isolated so that she was able to do that.
    No way a school on lockdown w an active shooter should have a person come in and be able to retrieve their kids and no one stopped them, someone opened a door to allow them in...
  • Options

No way a school on lockdown w an active shooter should have a person come in and be able to retrieve their kids and no one stopped them, someone opened a door to allow them in...
    hard to stop a mother....she probably wasn't going to stop for anyone or anything

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    Unlocked doors and locked doors are to blame here. I wish they could decide what the school is supposed to do 

Rather than immediately breach the classroom and engage with the gunman, McCraw said the commander — who he later identified as the school district's chief of police — decided that, "There was time to retrieve the keys, and wait for a tactical team with the equipment to go ahead and breach the door and take on the subject."

an unlocked door allowed the gunman to enter, a locked door kept the police out. School is screwed either way 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    tbergs said:
    Looks like more great news for Uvalde PD.

Texas police who responded to Tuesday's mass shooting at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school wouldn't let a tactical squad of federal agents immediately go into the school to stop the gunman, two officials briefed on the situation told New York Times.

The officials told the Times that the Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement tactical team was forced to wait nearly an hour before they went in and shot and killed the gunman, who massacred 19 children and two adults at Robb Elementary School.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

Texas Police Prevented Federal Agents From Stopping Gunman: NYT (insider.com)

Jesus fucking Christ.

What a gong show.
  • Options

hard to stop a mother....she probably wasn't going to stop for anyone or anything
    I don't see how you don't find anything wrong with what happened?
  • Options

I don't see how you don't find anything wrong with what happened?
    are you surmising the school wasn't really on lockdown or something? isn't lockdown procedural until the authorities get there? a school can't still be on full lockdown if the police need to get in and out
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.