America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    “What you thought was freedom was just greed”.  

We're "already gone, felt that way all along".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036

Ted Cruz spoke pretty passionately about unlocked back doors in the wake of this shooting. 

Good stuff. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    if you want change, you have to know what change it is you want. 

some of you keep hammering on the "semantics" issue. Sure, it's disingenuous from most on the gun toting side. I don't see it that way from mace. But I guess it's easier to pile on then to have an honest dialogue. 
    I see it this way, the extreme side of the anti-gun group want guns banned, the just past moderate side wants some guns/features banned or heavily restricted and the most approachable and reasonable group of that side are those who just want to implement tighter laws around the purchase and ownership of guns. This should be the group that gun advocates focus on and work with to reach an agreement to prevent some of these incidents from happening, but instead they want to focus on any conversation around guns that involves the word "ban" or deflect to any talk about gun laws as being political and not the right time.

Look, this isn't just me bloviating, listen to Abbot, watch the Ted Cruz interview. Cruz dropped the "psychopath" label almost immediately because it creates a separation between normal gun owners and what he wants to sell as the anomalies we can see coming. It's not that simple. But If that's the hill they want to die on, then people should be pissed off at law enforcement for not doing their job when all these red flags popped up, but instead Ted's out there backing the blue at a time when all they did was what they are hired and trained to do. Sure, the 18 year old can be described as a psychopath, but said psychopath was still able to purchase a gun so if you want to go down that road than be prepared for the follow-up of what the hell are you going to do about it? These "psychopaths" can purchase a gun with little to no effort besides a credit card and ID. Why not advocate for changes to the background process, longer wait times, age requirement changes or any other factors that increase the likelihood of preventing "psychopaths" from purchasing a firearm instead of avoiding discussing guns or deflecting that talk of gun law changes is political? Well, because these fucks are interested in self preservation of only one thing, their power and they know they will lose money and possibly votes if they even speak a word about doing anything gun related. And why is that? Because the people you want me to listen to and who are feigning honest dialogue are trying to inform people about the correct way to refer to certain types of firearms.

In what other profession, industry or field do we cater to this type of bullshit when it relates to preventing loss of life or severe injury? If my kid died in a car accident because the car seat I put them in was defective or made wrong, would the company tell me I wasn't describing the features of their car seat correctly when I said something needed to change or demanded higher standards for production? No, because they would know that the consumers of their product would no longer support them and they would go bankrupt or be held liable in court. Yes, I get it, guns are doing what they were made to do, kill, so in theory we should be applauding the manufacturers for creating these flawless tools of carnage. We should all be proud that 18 year old boys lacking a fully developed frontal lobe have the legal right to purchase as many AR-15's as they want, but yet we don't want them drinking alcohol legally and in most states they can't even smoke marijuana because drugs and alcohol bad, guns good.

I can't have this conversation with a gun advocate if they want to try and make it all about terminology. It doesn't have to be that way. Why aren't they super pissed? Why don't they reach out to their local elected official and demand change? Is it because they value owning a firearm over saving a life? It sure comes across that way. Be the change you want to see in the world. I grew up around guns and my family owned about 100 various firearms. I shot some sort of gun almost every day from the time I was 7 until I was 18. I carried a gun for my profession for 4 years. I was proficient and understand the differences in the types of firearms being mentioned, but I also know some people aren't, but that's not a sticking point when it comes to talking about ways to improve gun safety and the culture of guns in this country. I abhor guns besides those used to hunt with. We have been programmed to fear being attacked, fear being taken advantage of and fear the "other", but what are we really trying to protect with a gun in most cases? Property. A phone, a car, cash. Things that are replaceable. Our right to bear arms does not need to be so complicated. There can be compromises to what we as a country believe should be available to the citizenry without banning guns completely. We have restrictions and laws in place around every other aspect of what is acceptable to be a human being, and yes, there will always be people who break those laws and find ways around these systems, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do something because it won't be 100% effective.

Anyway, I just want change. I want the GOP to come forward and recognize this is a bigger problem than just mental illness and that guns are a part of the problem and decide to do something about it.
    Is it because they value owning a firearm over saving a life? It sure comes across that way.  

And then this is what the abortion debate becomes...  Just change Firearm to abortion and there you have it.
    Funny, all of that and that's your take away? I am not even advocating for an all out gun ban. We're way past that. You are the one who has mentioned being fearful of guns being taken away. Well, that's not gonna happen any time soon, at least definitely not in your lifetime. Have you seen the SCOTUS? However, abortion is about to be banned, so I guess all these conservatives who want abortion banned and guns freely allowed probably are fearful it could happen to them and knew they were lying the last several years when they said Roe v. Wade will never be overturned.
    I can't comment on every sentence...

It is interesting to me, that one line.

States Rights are becoming a big deal now.  If you can have abortion taken away as a state right you damn well sure can take a gun away.  I would see California doing that for sure with NY following.
    Please stop. No state is going to ban firearms or come get your guns. They may restrict ownership. They may ban further sales of certain types but they're not going to confiscate or "take guns away." Waaaaaaaaaay too late for that.

Mace, I think it was Mace, said there was a large percentage of people who wanted to "ban firearms." I can't find any polling on what that percentage is. I'd appreciate a link to a known polling source and not some pro-NRA or gun rights advocacy group on what the actual percentage of Americans want to "ban firearms."
    I thought the same about abortion...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,171
    pjhawks said:
    Ban assault rifles. Fuck the semantics. Jesus christ. 
    Yup.  And stop voting republicans.  It will never happen as long as republicans are in power
    This I’m done debating with gun or 2A die hards! Fuck e’m 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,291

Nothing can be done. Thoughts and prayers.

A school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, involving young children has reignited the national US debate about access to firearms. What does the data tell us about gun culture and its impact?

Firearms deaths are a fixture in American life.

There were 1.5 million of them between 1968 and 2017 - that's higher than the number of soldiers killed in every US conflict since the American War for Independence in 1775.

In 2020 alone, more than 45,000 Americans died at the end of a barrel of a gun, whether by homicide or suicide, more than any other year on record. The figure represents a 25% increase from five years prior, and a 43% increase from 2010.

But the issue is a highly political one, pitting gun control advocates against sectors of the population fiercely protective of their constitutionally-enshrined right to bear arms.

How many guns are there in the US?

While calculating the number of guns in private hands around the world is difficult, figures from the Small Arms Survey - a Swiss-based leading research project - estimate that there were 390 million guns in circulation in 2018.

The US ratio of 120.5 firearms per 100 residents, up from 88 per 100 in 2011, far surpasses that of other countries around the world.

More recent data also suggests that gun ownership grew significantly over the last several years. One study, published by the Annals of Internal Medicine in February, found that 7.5 million US adults - just under 3% of the population - became first new gun owners between January 2019 and April 2021.

This, in turn, exposed 11 million people to firearms in their homes, including 5 million children. About half of new gun owners in that time period were women, while 40% were either black or Hispanic.

A separate study, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2021, linked a rise in gun ownership during the pandemic to higher rates of gun injuries among - and inflicted by - children.

How do US gun deaths break down?

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a total of 45,222 people died from gun-related injuries of all causes during 2020, the last year for which complete data is available.

And while mass shooting and gun murders generally garner more media attention, of the total, 54% - about 24,300 deaths - were suicides.

A 2016 study published in the American Journal of Public Health found there was a strong relationship between higher levels of gun ownership in a state and higher firearm suicide rates for both men and women.

Advocates for stricter gun laws in the United States often cite this statistic when pushing lawmakers to devote more resources to mental health and fewer to easing gun restrictions.

How do US gun killings compare with other countries?

In 2020, 43% of the deaths - amounting to 19,384 people - were homicides, according to data from the CDC. The figure represents a 34% increase from 2019, and a 75% increase over the course of the previous decade.

Nearly 53 people are killed each day by a firearm in the US, according to the data.

The data also shows that the vast majority of murders, 79%, were carried out with guns.

That's a significantly larger proportion of homicides than is the case in Canada, Australia, England and Wales, and many other countries.

Are mass shootings becoming deadlier?

Deaths from the "mass shootings" that attract international attention, however, are harder to track.

While the country does not have a single definition for "mass shootings", the FBI has for over a decade tracked "active shooter incidents" in which "an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area".

According to the FBI, there were 345 "active shooter incidents" in the United States between 2000-2020, resulting in more than 1,024 deaths and 1,828 injuries.

The deadliest such attack, in Las Vegas in 2017, killed more than 50 people and left 500 wounded. The vast majority of mass shootings, however, leave fewer than 30 people dead.

Who supports gun control?

Despite widespread and vocal public outrage - often in the wake of gun violence - American support for stricter gun laws in 2020 fell to the lowest level since 2014, according to polling by Gallup.

Only 52% of Americans surveyed said they wanted stricter gun laws, while 35% said they should remain the same.

Eleven percent surveyed said laws should be "made less strict".

The issue is also one that is hyper-partisan and extremely divisive, falling largely along party lines.

"Democrats are nearly unanimous in their support for stricture gun laws," the same Gallup study noted, with nearly 91% in favour of stricter gun laws.

Only 24% Republicans, on the other hand, agreed with the same statement, along with 45% of Independent voters.

Some states have taken steps to ban or strictly regulate ownership of assault weapons. Laws vary by state but California, for example, has banned ownership of assault weapons with limited exceptions.

Some controls are widely supported by people across the political divide - such as restrictions governing the sale of guns to people who are mentally ill or on "watch" lists.

Who opposes gun control?

Despite years of financial woes and internal strife, the National Rifle Association (NRA) remains the most powerful gun lobby in the United States, with a substantial budget to influence members of Congress on gun policy.

In January, the NRA filed for bankruptcy as part of a fraud case against some of its own senior staff. Even after the move, it vowed to continue "confronting anti-Second Amendment activities, promoting firearm safety and training, and advancing public programs across the United States".

Over the last several election cycles, it, and other organisations, have consistently spent more on pro-gun rights messaging than their rivals in the gun control lobby.

A number of states have also gone as far as to largely eliminate restrictions on who can carry a gun. In June 2021, for example, Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed into law a "permitless carry bill" that allows the state's residents to carry handguns without a license or training.

Similarly, on 12 April Georgia became the 25th in the nation to eliminate the need for a permit to conceal or openly carry a firearm. The law means any citizen of that state has the right to carry a firearm without a licence or a permit.

The law was backed by the NRA, and leaders within the organisation called the move "a monumental moment for the Second Amendment".

America's gun culture - in seven charts - BBC News

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

some of you keep hammering on the "semantics" issue. Sure, it's disingenuous from most on the gun toting side. I don't see it that way from mace. But I guess it's easier to pile on then to have an honest dialogue. 
    I see it this way, the extreme side of the anti-gun group want guns banned, the just past moderate side wants some guns/features banned or heavily restricted and the most approachable and reasonable group of that side are those who just want to implement tighter laws around the purchase and ownership of guns. This should be the group that gun advocates focus on and work with to reach an agreement to prevent some of these incidents from happening, but instead they want to focus on any conversation around guns that involves the word "ban" or deflect to any talk about gun laws as being political and not the right time.

Look, this isn't just me bloviating, listen to Abbot, watch the Ted Cruz interview. Cruz dropped the "psychopath" label almost immediately because it creates a separation between normal gun owners and what he wants to sell as the anomalies we can see coming. It's not that simple. But If that's the hill they want to die on, then people should be pissed off at law enforcement for not doing their job when all these red flags popped up, but instead Ted's out there backing the blue at a time when all they did was what they are hired and trained to do. Sure, the 18 year old can be described as a psychopath, but said psychopath was still able to purchase a gun so if you want to go down that road than be prepared for the follow-up of what the hell are you going to do about it? These "psychopaths" can purchase a gun with little to no effort besides a credit card and ID. Why not advocate for changes to the background process, longer wait times, age requirement changes or any other factors that increase the likelihood of preventing "psychopaths" from purchasing a firearm instead of avoiding discussing guns or deflecting that talk of gun law changes is political? Well, because these fucks are interested in self preservation of only one thing, their power and they know they will lose money and possibly votes if they even speak a word about doing anything gun related. And why is that? Because the people you want me to listen to and who are feigning honest dialogue are trying to inform people about the correct way to refer to certain types of firearms.

In what other profession, industry or field do we cater to this type of bullshit when it relates to preventing loss of life or severe injury? If my kid died in a car accident because the car seat I put them in was defective or made wrong, would the company tell me I wasn't describing the features of their car seat correctly when I said something needed to change or demanded higher standards for production? No, because they would know that the consumers of their product would no longer support them and they would go bankrupt or be held liable in court. Yes, I get it, guns are doing what they were made to do, kill, so in theory we should be applauding the manufacturers for creating these flawless tools of carnage. We should all be proud that 18 year old boys lacking a fully developed frontal lobe have the legal right to purchase as many AR-15's as they want, but yet we don't want them drinking alcohol legally and in most states they can't even smoke marijuana because drugs and alcohol bad, guns good.

I can't have this conversation with a gun advocate if they want to try and make it all about terminology. It doesn't have to be that way. Why aren't they super pissed? Why don't they reach out to their local elected official and demand change? Is it because they value owning a firearm over saving a life? It sure comes across that way. Be the change you want to see in the world. I grew up around guns and my family owned about 100 various firearms. I shot some sort of gun almost every day from the time I was 7 until I was 18. I carried a gun for my profession for 4 years. I was proficient and understand the differences in the types of firearms being mentioned, but I also know some people aren't, but that's not a sticking point when it comes to talking about ways to improve gun safety and the culture of guns in this country. I abhor guns besides those used to hunt with. We have been programmed to fear being attacked, fear being taken advantage of and fear the "other", but what are we really trying to protect with a gun in most cases? Property. A phone, a car, cash. Things that are replaceable. Our right to bear arms does not need to be so complicated. There can be compromises to what we as a country believe should be available to the citizenry without banning guns completely. We have restrictions and laws in place around every other aspect of what is acceptable to be a human being, and yes, there will always be people who break those laws and find ways around these systems, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do something because it won't be 100% effective.

Anyway, I just want change. I want the GOP to come forward and recognize this is a bigger problem than just mental illness and that guns are a part of the problem and decide to do something about it.
    Is it because they value owning a firearm over saving a life? It sure comes across that way.  

And then this is what the abortion debate becomes...  Just change Firearm to abortion and there you have it.
    Funny, all of that and that's your take away? I am not even advocating for an all out gun ban. We're way past that. You are the one who has mentioned being fearful of guns being taken away. Well, that's not gonna happen any time soon, at least definitely not in your lifetime. Have you seen the SCOTUS? However, abortion is about to be banned, so I guess all these conservatives who want abortion banned and guns freely allowed probably are fearful it could happen to them and knew they were lying the last several years when they said Roe v. Wade will never be overturned.

States Rights are becoming a big deal now.  If you can have abortion taken away as a state right you damn well sure can take a gun away.  I would see California doing that for sure with NY following.
    Please stop. No state is going to ban firearms or come get your guns. They may restrict ownership. They may ban further sales of certain types but they're not going to confiscate or "take guns away." Waaaaaaaaaay too late for that.

Mace, I think it was Mace, said there was a large percentage of people who wanted to "ban firearms." I can't find any polling on what that percentage is. I'd appreciate a link to a known polling source and not some pro-NRA or gun rights advocacy group on what the actual percentage of Americans want to "ban firearms."
    Do you really believe that abortion is going to stop or women won't get abortions because of what laws OK, FL and Tejas (and other red states will pass) have passed? Conversely, do you really believe the gubmint is going to confiscate 400 million firearms in this country? Do you really believe that?

Can you live without the right to own an assault rifle but all other manner of firearms or would you consider yourself unable to defend yourself and your right to bear arms infringed?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
    Jeez. More collateral damage to this nightmare. How awful.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    Poncier said:
    Jeez. More collateral damage to this nightmare. How awful.
    Oof. What a travesty. We have parents without children who were murdered at school and now 4 children without parents, one who was murdered and the other who died due to the extreme trauma he experienced in the last 48 hours. If only there had been a man trap, trip wire, armed teachers or retired military/police at that school....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    The Republicans will cling close to their guns on nights like these.  Despicable.  I understand not banning guns, but their immediate reaction of you'll have to take the guns from my cold dead hands versus sympathy or any positive action steps is terrible.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

I can’t remember saying that, but likely could have said there are some who want to. If I did say “large” then I probably said would be okay with it. There’s a difference between being okay and wanting it. But I don’t recal either way.
    And there have been posts saying they wish the taxes and fees were so high that the typical person couldn’t afford a gun. I would consider that effectively a ban.
    Bringing the abortion analogy that Tempo brought up. Just like I would agree making abortions so expensive and so many loopholes and dr notes to get one would effectively be a ban on abortion too.
    This press conference from Uvalde DPS is starting pretty painfully....
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Do you really believe that abortion is going to stop or women won't get abortions because of what laws OK, FL and Tejas (and other red states will pass) have passed? Conversely, do you really believe the gubmint is going to confiscate 400 million firearms in this country? Do you really believe that?

Can you live without the right to own an assault rifle but all other manner of firearms or would you consider yourself unable to defend yourself and your right to bear arms infringed?
    Ban=Bad, I've always said that.

Other people want us to be like Canada and NZ, Australia where the gubmint does indeed round them up.  It's not a nutso idea to think would come to light, it's not.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

I can’t remember saying that, but likely could have said there are some who want to. If I did say “large” then I probably said would be okay with it. There’s a difference between being okay and wanting it. But I don’t recal either way.
    And there have been posts saying they wish the taxes and fees were so high that the typical person couldn’t afford a gun. I would consider that effectively a ban.
    Bringing the abortion analogy that Tempo brought up. Just like I would agree making abortions so expensive and so many loopholes and dr notes to get one would effectively be a ban on abortion too.
    That’s exactly what has been happening for the last 40 years when abortion has been a constitutionally protected right.  There is an interesting article on the ONE abortion doctor in South Dakota (you can Google it) that illustrates this. 

making something that is a protected right logistically difficult is what republicans do.  Making owning a gun harder is fine with me, abortion proves the constitution is negotiable especially since 2008 was the first time the court even ruled an individual has a right to own a gun 

if it’s a mental health issue, and all these mentally ill people seem to be buying assault  rifles. A session or two to get a sign off from a mental health professional is fine with me.  You need two doctors appointments to get an abortion after all 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Adding a tax to certain weapons wouldn't be bad as long as it's not outrageous and they don't become elitist symbols.  I expect someone rich to own a yacht and a plane, not to own a gun.
    Lots of excuses from DPS. Likes to keep referencing they were taking gun fire. Great, meanwhile little kids were being murdered while 3 officers took cover and evacuated people. Their job is to stop the threat.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    tbergs said:

Your right about “insert subject here” 

How bout we just get rid of both, right to choose and right to bear arms and everyone gets to live. 

Except for the women who die from illegal abortions and unsafe pregnancies.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2022
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Adding a tax to certain weapons wouldn't be bad as long as it's not outrageous and they don't become elitist symbols.  I expect someone rich to own a yacht and a plane, not to own a gun.
    500 bucks for an assault rifle is too cheap.  It’s a gun. It shouldn’t be an impulse purchase. 

Generally the problem with a “right” is you also don’t have to take any responsibility for an outcome.

owning guns should require a certain amount of liability insurance. Based simply on the fact you are more likely to accidentally hurt someone vs use it to defend yourself 

some guy accidentally discharged his gun and shoots me in the head across the street. Why should I have to pay the hospital bill? I can’t sue him because he probably can’t afford to pay anyway. He should be required to have insurance.  

There are social costs of gun ownership, those costs are not absorbed by the people who own those guns it’s absorbed by everyone.  Insurance requirements or a big tax to offset the costs to society should happen. A 30 percent tax that then pays out victim compensation to victims of gun violence… for  example 
    And DPS bails without really answering any questions. That basically just confirmed that police response was not great and when details come out people are going to be furious. They did mention that they think the suspect got in through an unlocked door after climbing over a fence somewhere on the grounds.
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Other people want us to be like Canada and NZ, Australia where the gubmint does indeed round them up.  It's not a nutso idea to think would come to light, it's not.
    The ghosts of gun violence? I still haven't been able to find polling on what number of Americans want to "ban firearms." Boo! Talk about semantics.

And you didn't answer the question but chose to deflect with Ban=Bad. Again, can you live without the right to own an assault rifle but all other manner of firearms or would you consider yourself unable to defend yourself and your right to bear arms infringed? Its a yes or no question.

This is why nothing changes, slippery slope, semantics, lack of "responsibility." Last time I checked, it wasn't non-gun owners going around shooting places up.

Brilliantati©
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

The ghosts of gun violence? I still haven't been able to find polling on what number of Americans want to "ban firearms." Boo! Talk about semantics.

And you didn't answer the question but chose to deflect with Ban=Bad. Again, can you live without the right to own an assault rifle but all other manner of firearms or would you consider yourself unable to defend yourself and your right to bear arms infringed? Its a yes or no question.

This is why nothing changes, slippery slope, semantics, lack of "responsibility." Last time I checked, it wasn't non-gun owners going around shooting places up.
    Are you following this thread?  at least 5 people have been saying that.  
    Here ya go
    https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/268340/analyzing-surveys-banning-assault-weapons.aspx
    edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    And DPS bails without really answering any questions. That basically just confirmed that police response was not great and when details come out people are going to be furious. They did mention that they think the suspect got in through an unlocked door after climbing over a fence somewhere on the grounds.
    Locked or unlocked, he was getting in.  I’ve seen some school blaming here in some reports. Directly or more vailed.

to me it’s like blaming a rape victim because of the clothes she was wearing 

I will say the “containment” strategy caused me to talk to my kids yesterday. They are under strict instructions to run, and get outside no matter what anyone says, not sit and hide. Getting cornered is what happened and they evacuated the other rooms while the victims were trapped for over a half hour. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    They are schools not prisons.  Anyone with a will could get in, especially with a high powered firearm.  Lol, blaming the school.  Unless all the doors and glass are bullet proof and you have security deadbolt doors people will get in to any building if they want.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Are you following this thread?  at least 5 people have been saying that.  
    Here ya go
    https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/268340/analyzing-surveys-banning-assault-weapons.aspx
    Its in favor of banning a type of firearm and not all firearms. 6 in 10 are in favor of banning assault weapons. Not "all firearms." Why can't you answer the question I posed? Are you unable to defend yourself if your firearm is not an assault weapon? If you can't legally purchase an assault weapon but can purchase every other type of firearm, has your 2A been infringed? And you find that unacceptable?

What percentage of Americans want to ban ALL FIREARMS?

Brilliantati©
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:
    They are schools not prisons.  Anyone with a will could get in, especially with a high powered firearm.  Lol, blaming the school.  Unless all the doors and glass are bullet proof and you have security deadbolt doors people will get in to any building if they want.
    Ted Cruz did

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5T7y200gWD8
    tbergs said:
    Locked or unlocked, he was getting in.  I’ve seen some school blaming here in some reports. Directly or more vailed.

Oh yeah, completely agree. The fact that we've (collective) pushed blame on schools and teachers when these events happen is despicable. Arm the teachers they say! Lock ever door they say! But pay teachers more or give them the resources they need to educate our youth, nah, we don't think you do a good enough job. I like how all of these politicians and experts keep talking about arming teachers. I wonder how many teachers want that to be the next thing they are responsible for? Are we going to start paying them all at least 100k a year? Apparently training and equipping the police hasn't worked so well either. Still depends on the officer you get to respond to the call. I definitely wouldn't want to live with the fact that I stood outside an elementary school for any amount of time while the shooter was inside. That's not what I was trained to do even 15 years ago. Back then it was if you had 3 you went in. I think now it's down to 2. May depend on the department.
    tbergs said:

I will say the “containment” strategy caused me to talk to my kids yesterday. They are under strict instructions to run, and get outside no matter what anyone says, not sit and hide. Getting cornered is what happened and they evacuated the other rooms while the victims were trapped for over a half hour. 
    At the college I work at now, we train the Run, Hide, Fight response. You get the hell out if you can, but I can't imagine doing this training for little kids at an elementary school. Sad and pathetic. My 9 year old shouldn't need to be taught how to run, hide or fight when they go to school. Only in a world this fucked up would anyone find that to be a reasonable solution.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Oh yeah, completely agree. The fact that we've (collective) pushed blame on schools and teachers when these events happen is despicable. Arm the teachers they say! Lock ever door they say! But pay teachers more or give them the resources they need to educate our youth, nah, we don't think you do a good enough job. I like how all of these politicians and experts keep talking about arming teachers. I wonder how many teachers want that to be the next thing they are responsible for? Are we going to start paying them all at least 100k a year? Apparently training and equipping the police hasn't worked so well either. Still depends on the officer you get to respond to the call. I definitely wouldn't want to live with the fact that I stood outside an elementary school for any amount of time while the shooter was inside. That's not what I was trained to do even 15 years ago. Back then it was if you had 3 you went in. I think now it's down to 2. May depend on the department.
    We could save like $3 billion a year of we got rid of the secret service and just armed all politicians.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

edited May 2022
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

At the college I work at now, we train the Run, Hide, Fight response. You get the hell out if you can, but I can't imagine doing this training for little kids at an elementary school. Sad and pathetic. My 9 year old shouldn't need to be taught how to run, hide or fight when they go to school. Only in a world this fucked up would anyone find that to be a reasonable solution.
    My 3rd grader and kindergartener have active shooter drills. They are told to turn the lights off and hide under your desk.

im the one who told them no. You get out. 

It’s a terrible thought to have but I’d rather they not get cornered inside a classroom and take their chances running down the hall 
This discussion has been closed.