Options

America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,425
    brianlux said:
    What is it with places like Texas wanting more guns and fewer firearm restrictions?  Some kind of death wish?  It appears so.  (And it's not, of course, just about Texas).  This whole thing literally makes me sick to my stomach. 

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,712
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:
    What is it with places like Texas wanting more guns and fewer firearm restrictions?  Some kind of death wish?  It appears so.  (And it's not, of course, just about Texas).  This whole thing literally makes me sick to my stomach. 

That's certainly not something to be proud of, at least not in my circle.

There is this, though:
    Population of Texas: 29,730,311
    Population of California: 39,613,493

Mortality by gunfire per state:
    Texas:  4,164 deaths
    California: 3,449 deaths

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    The GOP after every mass shooting, which happen all the fucking time in America now. 

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    I am curious on how the kid got in the school?  Schools are locked nowadays.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    This is just heartbreaking. From WaPo:

Cabralez, a local pastor, received a call from a colleague who runs the funeral home near the school, asking for her help with the children who had taken shelter there. Inside, Cabralez found traumatized students. Some were rocking themselves, holding each other, covering their ears or screaming. Some stared blankly ahead. One by one, the children told Cabralez what they had seen: bullets flying through the windows, glass breaking all around them, classmates bleeding.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    edited May 2022
    What this fucking country needs is situational awareness? WTF? If you have kids, teach them situational awareness. Better yet, get them a side arm or an AR15 and teach them to be a good guy with a gun. Nothing can be done. Thoughts and prayers.

Republican senator warns against curbing gun rights in wake of Texas school shooting

From CNN's Ted Barrett

GOP Sen. Thom Tillis warned Democrats against having a “reflexive reaction” in the wake of the Texas school shooting that left 15 people dead, by trying to pass laws that would impinge on Second Amendment rights, saying he is confident in the coming days it will be learned that there were “signs” the 18-year-old shooter was “at risk.”

“It's horrible. And you know what we need to avoid is the reflexive reaction we have to say this could all be solved by not having guns in anyone's hands. We can always talk about reasonable measures, but we also have to talk about better situational awareness. I'm almost certain that in the coming days or weeks, we're going to find out that there were signs that this person was at risk, and we need to have an equal or greater attention on prevention and that's a key part of it,” the North Carolina Republican told CNN.

Asked if there was a component of guns that could be part of the solution for the problem of mass shootings in the country, Tillis said “no.”

“What people immediately want to jump to are red flag laws. Virtually everyone that I've seen here has been one that sweep up law abiding gun owners into what I consider to be an overreach. So the question is can we can we actually get to policy that could make a difference, but not deny people their Second Amendment rights and give them due process? That's what we talk about every time something like this comes up and that hopefully will be the discussion if we have one versus what could potentially be the plot of people going into their political corners, which I've seen every time something tragic event like this has happened and the seven and a half years I've been here.”

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mace1229 said:

What kind of country and citizenry allows this to continue to happen? 
    a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
    That depends on how you define gun control. The gun laws back then more often applied to open or concealed carrying in public. But purchasing and tracking firearms was much more free. Today you don’t have to register a gun made before 1898, and pretty much any other laws that apply like a wait period. I always assumed that’s because that’s when they started keeping records, but I could be wrong.
    A lot of those restrictions today, like waiting period, registration, background checks are bypassed by private sales or gun shows 

so basically laws already in place that have pretty broad agreement have loopholes so large it renders the laws pointless 

if I’m a crazy person who would get flagged in a background check, illl just go to a gun show instead 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    If only we had properly armed and trained those 9 year olds to shoot...........

The data is clear.  There is something wrong here in america.  If we keep doing what we've always done we will get the result we've always gotten.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    edited May 2022
    Four years ago today my wife got text messages from my daughter that there was a shooter in their school.  Fortunately she was at a different school but the initial warnings just asked the students to lock down as part of the school system's procedures so it was unknown what was going on for awhile.

Come to find out that the shooting was at the middle school just a mile from my house and the shooter lived in my neighborhood.

There were no deaths that day because of Jason Seaman. I cannot imagine what might have happened if he would have either been killed by the bullets or too injured to assist but he tackled the gunman (his initial reaction was to throw a basketball at the kid...Seaman was holding a ball while standing at the front of the class when the kid came in shooting) and everything ended without death. That guy deserves more credit than we can possibly give him. The shooter had plenty of ammo.  It would have been an awful scene much worse than it was. That poor little girl he shot did recover thankfully.

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Exactly
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401

The data is clear.  There is something wrong here in america.  If we keep doing what we've always done we will get the result we've always gotten.  
    The definition of insanity 
  • Options
    I read this earlier then dropped my kids off at school.

exterior gates are chained and doors locked.  Your comment was on my mind so I thought how I could get in

If I had bolt cutters and a gun I could gain entry no problem.  Unfortunately 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    Depressing. So very depressing. The gun issue is too far gone. We will never change. Nothing happened after Sandy Hook and nothing will happen after this. Just another day. No body count at any age will ever be enough for anything to change. It’s disgraceful, embarrassing and nauseating. I can’t even fathom what those parents are going through. I just feel so hopeless regarding this issue. 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

The definition of insanity 

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    nicknyr15 said:
    Depressing. So very depressing. The gun issue is too far gone. We will never change. Nothing happened after Sandy Hook and nothing will happen after this. Just another day. No body count at any age will ever be enough for anything to change. It’s disgraceful, embarrassing and nauseating. I can’t even fathom what those parents are going through. I just feel so hopeless regarding this issue. 
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    edited May 2022

exterior gates are chained and doors locked.  Your comment was on my mind so I thought how I could get in

Yeah I'm not sure of the facts but someone with an assault rifle would just shoot the glass and walk in.

Kind of like how the first victim will be the security guard if the gun nuts think adding security guards helps.

As I was driving to work this morning I pass an elementary school.  Ever since our shooting four years ago there has been a police car in front of the school (every school in our district) every morning. Today there as an officer walking the sidewalk in front of the school....I appreciate the show of force but again...they would just be the first victim.

Honestly our schools will need to be like prisons. No windows, steel doors, fences, etc.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yup
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Yeah I'm not sure of the facts but someone with an assault rifle would just shoot the glass and walk in.

Kind of like how the first victim will be the security guard if the gun nuts think adding security guards helps.

As I was driving to work this morning I pass an elementary school.  Ever since our shooting four years ago there has been a police car in front of the school (every school in our district) every morning. Today there as an officer walking the sidewalk in front of the school....I appreciate the show of force but again...they would just be the first victim.

Honestly our schools will need to be like prisons. No windows, steel doors, fences, etc.
    We are about at the point where entry points need to be secured like a jewellery store.  Double doors operated independently , bulletproof glass etc … or yeah like a prison 
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,928
    Interesting stat I read this morning.......since 1999, 70% of school shootings have been carried out by someone 18 years old or younger. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JojoRice said:
    Interesting stat I read this morning.......since 1999, 70% of school shootings have been carried out by someone 18 years old or younger. 
    Makes sense given the venue. Mass shootings generally the average age is 33or 34. Can’t remember 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    I just read that he drove his truck through the front door.

on another note, what hypocrites:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-place-wont-guns-wake-033544527.html

One place you won't find guns in the wake of the Texas school massacre? The NRA's upcoming leadership conference in Houston this week.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

Each school is different. Some have heavy doors with an electronic lock controlled by the front office. Some have chains like you describe. Some might not be locked at all but the entry passes through the front office. Unfortunately the front office won’t stop someone with a gun.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    mace1229 said:

a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
    That depends on how you define gun control. The gun laws back then more often applied to open or concealed carrying in public. But purchasing and tracking firearms was much more free. Today you don’t have to register a gun made before 1898, and pretty much any other laws that apply like a wait period. I always assumed that’s because that’s when they started keeping records, but I could be wrong.
    A lot of those restrictions today, like waiting period, registration, background checks are bypassed by private sales or gun shows 

so basically laws already in place that have pretty broad agreement have loopholes so large it renders the laws pointless 

if I’m a crazy person who would get flagged in a background check, illl just go to a gun show instead 
    I didn’t even know that gunshow loophole was a thing because all the states I’ve lived in have the same requirements at a gunshow or private party saw as a gun store would.
    I think the number of states with that loophole is getting smaller.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    JojoRice said:
    And 85% of those shooters brought their gun(s) from home or got them from a family member or friend.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Sandy Hook was almost 10 years ago....and still nothing

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    mcgruff10 said:
    I just read that he drove his truck through the front door.

on another note, what hypocrites:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-place-wont-guns-wake-033544527.html

One place you won't find guns in the wake of the Texas school massacre? The NRA's upcoming leadership conference in Houston this week.

Thats strange, I read he drove it into a ditch near the school and the car became disabled.  I wonder what is the truth.  And if he did drive to a ditch....was it just unlucky that the elementary school was right there?  Was he headed there anyhow?  Where was he going if not there?

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    JojoRice said:
    Why our kids want to do this to their piers is beyond me.  That is the real problem.  What the hell are we doing wrong that we fail these kids and they want to kill other kids?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I didn’t even know that gunshow loophole was a thing because all the states I’ve lived in have the same requirements at a gunshow or private party saw as a gun store would.
    I think the number of states with that loophole is getting smaller.
    I could go to a flea market this weekend and come back with an arsenal without ever even showing anyone my ID.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.