• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

What kind of country and citizenry allows this to continue to happen? 
    a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
    That depends on how you define gun control. The gun laws back then more often applied to open or concealed carrying in public. But purchasing and tracking firearms was much more free. Today you don’t have to register a gun made before 1898, and pretty much any other laws that apply like a wait period. I always assumed that’s because that’s when they started keeping records, but I could be wrong.
    A lot of those restrictions today, like waiting period, registration, background checks are bypassed by private sales or gun shows 

so basically laws already in place that have pretty broad agreement have loopholes so large it renders the laws pointless 

if I’m a crazy person who would get flagged in a background check, illl just go to a gun show instead 
    I didn’t even know that gunshow loophole was a thing because all the states I’ve lived in have the same requirements at a gunshow or private party saw as a gun store would.
    I think the number of states with that loophole is getting smaller.
    I could go to a flea market this weekend and come back with an arsenal without ever even showing anyone my ID.
    I did that in Florida when I lived there and thought that was nuts and I'm a 2A guy...
    Question... without trying to sound like a doosh... it's a legit question 

What will it take for you to no longer be a "2A Guy?"  And for my own understanding... what makes you a 2A guy? 
    I won't ever stop being one but I'm also not a nutter either.  

If you could, and I know we can't, come to some 50 state agreement on gun laws I would be all for it but you have too many people that want all or nothing on gun control.  That works the other way too as the nutters don't want any more laws at all.

Again.. with respect.. if your stance is that you'll never stop being one...   why is that? 

Just for context here in case you're asking "why is this guy asking me this?"   as a Canadian I don't personally know anyone.. at all who has any 'undying' loyalty to any piece of legislation here. We have four 'fundamental' freedoms in our Charter which is the equivalent of your Constitution. Freedom of Religion, Expression, Assembly, and Association. 

I highly doubt any single person in my family, immediate and extended, even knows that and I doubt any single one of my friends... with the exception of maybe two can tell me what section of the Charter those freedoms are in. 

So when I see and hear about people in America who associate themselves and often pride themselves for being a supporter of a centuries old legislation... it's odd to me.  I'm curious and hoping you can help me understand why that is. 
    I am trying to express this without bringing the thunder from the rest of the board members here and having to defend myself from every angle as it's not what I want to exhaust myself with today...

When I hear people asked "Why" also, I cringe sometimes.  I grew up w a family that shot and owned multiple firearms, so there is that.  I was around them and enjoyed them.  Owning and shooting was just another regular occurrence with us, not a big deal.

I do see banning something as taking away a right.  I don't mind jumping through a few hoops just as long as I can still own it.

This one might be part nutter answer...If shit ever hits the fan I do want to be able to be prepared and not have to worry about protection from someone or somewhere else.  
    From what I have read, the majority of NRA members even support stronger laws, background checks, etc.  It's just become a GOP mantra to stir up the "don't tread on me" voters by making them fear that the government is coming for their guns.

My fix would be to tax the shit out of ammunition, ban assault weapons....prevent the further sale and manufacture of them except for military use, license all guns and require training just like a drivers license. I don't give two shits about the tyranny argument as that is just fucking complete insanity. I also don't buy the personal protection argument. No one needs an assault weapon to protect their home. 
    You lost me at "ban"...
    Get used to it because it's coming. At some point most of us will have had enough and you will need something else to play with.

You should try listening and reasoning to people rather than forcing it down one's throat.  That is why the nutters won't let it happen...

There's no reasonable argument for not banning AR15s. 

I don't know of any reasonable argument for anyone other than law enforcement and military personnel to have guns.  
    Bears 

if you’ve ever been waist deep in a river fishing and a bear is standing on the bank staring at you, you’ll  know why.  

That’s one reason.  There are a lot of others. You can get a shotgun license even in the UK if you are a farmer and they are about as strict on guns as anywhere for foxes and stuff 

I was going to add farmers. I grew up on a farm, and we had guns to protect our livelihood. I probably learned how to shoot before I learned my ABCs.

Also, criminals generally need guns in their line of work, too, since their opposition is armed.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
    That depends on how you define gun control. The gun laws back then more often applied to open or concealed carrying in public. But purchasing and tracking firearms was much more free. Today you don’t have to register a gun made before 1898, and pretty much any other laws that apply like a wait period. I always assumed that’s because that’s when they started keeping records, but I could be wrong.
    A lot of those restrictions today, like waiting period, registration, background checks are bypassed by private sales or gun shows 

so basically laws already in place that have pretty broad agreement have loopholes so large it renders the laws pointless 

if I’m a crazy person who would get flagged in a background check, illl just go to a gun show instead 
    I didn’t even know that gunshow loophole was a thing because all the states I’ve lived in have the same requirements at a gunshow or private party saw as a gun store would.
    I could go to a flea market this weekend and come back with an arsenal without ever even showing anyone my ID.
    I did that in Florida when I lived there and thought that was nuts and I'm a 2A guy...

What will it take for you to no longer be a "2A Guy?"  And for my own understanding... what makes you a 2A guy? 

If you could, and I know we can't, come to some 50 state agreement on gun laws I would be all for it but you have too many people that want all or nothing on gun control.  That works the other way too as the nutters don't want any more laws at all.

Again.. with respect.. if your stance is that you'll never stop being one...   why is that? 

Just for context here in case you're asking "why is this guy asking me this?"   as a Canadian I don't personally know anyone.. at all who has any 'undying' loyalty to any piece of legislation here. We have four 'fundamental' freedoms in our Charter which is the equivalent of your Constitution. Freedom of Religion, Expression, Assembly, and Association. 

I highly doubt any single person in my family, immediate and extended, even knows that and I doubt any single one of my friends... with the exception of maybe two can tell me what section of the Charter those freedoms are in. 

So when I see and hear about people in America who associate themselves and often pride themselves for being a supporter of a centuries old legislation... it's odd to me.  I'm curious and hoping you can help me understand why that is. 
    I am trying to express this without bringing the thunder from the rest of the board members here and having to defend myself from every angle as it's not what I want to exhaust myself with today...

When I hear people asked "Why" also, I cringe sometimes.  I grew up w a family that shot and owned multiple firearms, so there is that.  I was around them and enjoyed them.  Owning and shooting was just another regular occurrence with us, not a big deal.

I do see banning something as taking away a right.  I don't mind jumping through a few hoops just as long as I can still own it.

This one might be part nutter answer...If shit ever hits the fan I do want to be able to be prepared and not have to worry about protection from someone or somewhere else.  
    From what I have read, the majority of NRA members even support stronger laws, background checks, etc.  It's just become a GOP mantra to stir up the "don't tread on me" voters by making them fear that the government is coming for their guns.

My fix would be to tax the shit out of ammunition, ban assault weapons....prevent the further sale and manufacture of them except for military use, license all guns and require training just like a drivers license. I don't give two shits about the tyranny argument as that is just fucking complete insanity. I also don't buy the personal protection argument. No one needs an assault weapon to protect their home. 
    You lost me at "ban"...
    Get used to it because it's coming. At some point most of us will have had enough and you will need something else to play with.

You should try listening and reasoning to people rather than forcing it down one's throat.  That is why the nutters won't let it happen...

Then we are done here...
    I don't think you're a nutter, but the position you're taking here suggests otherwise. 
    My position is from what you said.  "There is no point of arguing" so I won't then.  I'm not changing your mind and will move on is all.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    I've always thought these ideas could definitely help:
    1.  Mandatory safety training before first firearm purchase.
    2. Contact employer/school to see if there are any red flags before initial purchase.
    3. Close gun show loophole.
    4. More extensive background check.
    5. Mag capacity at ten rounds.

Just my .02.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You lost me at "ban"...

Then we are done here...
    I don't think you're a nutter, but the position you're taking here suggests otherwise. 
    My position is from what you said.  "There is no point of arguing" so I won't then.  I'm not changing your mind and will move on is all.
    Your  position is to shut down at the word 'ban' which isn't a reasonable position. 

I appreciate your perspective, I meant it when I said I don't think you're a nutter, but no citizenry should have access to weapons like that. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    OnWis97 said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

We are all "2A guys"....the problem is how we define the 2nd amendment. An amendment which was based on weapons that took a minute to load a single round.

Claiming the 2A keeps us safe from tyranny is just moronic.
    We want a government strong enough to wipe Islam off the face of the earth but weak enough to be taken down by a junta of hillbillies.

I don't really think I am a 2A guy. And if I was, I'd be calling my representatives and remind them that they are part of the government that established the amendment so they need to be part of the process of establishing well-regulated militias.
    Don't the new governments in place over in the middle east get taken over by the juntas?

Don't underestimate the power of guerilla warfare...
    you can't be serious. the US government would wipe out groups of guerillas before you could say "unsung". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You lost me at "ban"...

I don't know of any reasonable argument for anyone other than law enforcement and military personnel to have guns.  
    Bears 

if you’ve ever been waist deep in a river fishing and a bear is standing on the bank staring at you, you’ll  know why.  

That’s one reason.  There are a lot of others. You can get a shotgun license even in the UK if you are a farmer and they are about as strict on guns as anywhere for foxes and stuff 

I was going to add farmers. I grew up on a farm, and we had guns to protect our livelihood. I probably learned how to shoot before I learned my ABCs.

Also, criminals generally need guns in their line of work, too, since their opposition is armed.
    Yeah. 

I carry a 45 camping or fishing anywhere in Montana when I go back. Even with one, there are places I’m still not tent camping. No way.  Bears are scarier than most criminals 

I do not carry it to the grocery store or to a restaurant though.

that’s the difference I guess between needing one and just wanting one 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    and that's fine. you aren't taking an AR15 camping, right?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Nope. Unnecessary and unpractical 

it’s just the I don’t see a need for “any guns” comments.  There are needs.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,665
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

This is where I'm at. I'm not calling for an all out gun ban, there is middle ground here. 
  • Options
    I think there's very very few that are calling on a full out gun ban. sure, in a perfect world, no guns would be necessary. But I have no problem with "personal use" type guns; mandatory training, background checks, etc. an AR15 doesn't fall into that category for me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jesus fucking Christ, 19 little kids.

I don't even have words to describe my anger and disappointment in America.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    it’s not even worth debating this issue anymore! If the gun nutters won’t even approach the subject of the word BAN it’s dead in the water! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    it’s not even worth debating this issue anymore! If the gun nutters won’t even approach the subject of the word BAN it’s dead in the water! 
    They are the loudest but they are also in the great minority.  The main problem is NRA money and GOP congressmen/women
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153

This is where I'm at. I'm not calling for an all out gun ban, there is middle ground here. 

Australia Canada and NZ don’t have camping or farming? Somehow they must and yet  figured out gun safety.
  • Options

Australia Canada and NZ don’t have camping or farming? Somehow they must and yet  figured out gun safety.
    Canadians have a lot of guns so yeah they have figured it out. 

Assault weapons are illegal AFAIK 
  • Options
    correct ^^^
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the main difference is we don't have a 250 year old piece of paper written by men in wigs and knickers guaranteeing our right to a musket, which is now interpreted as a right to a rambo weapon. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066

Yes, they banned weapons.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    edited May 2022
    brianlux said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

You lost me at "ban"...

Bears 

That’s one reason.  There are a lot of others. You can get a shotgun license even in the UK if you are a farmer for foxes and stuff and they are about as strict on guns as anywhere 

I've been on the other side of a small creek from a bear.  I had no gun, I'm still here.  I have a number of family members who live in Alaska, some for quite some time.  Not a one of them has ever had to shoot a bear or even used a gun to scare one off.  I've gone backpacking and been in the wilderness many times and I have known many people who have been in the wilderness even many more times than I have.  None of us has ever shot a bear or scared a bear off with a gun.  None, ever.  Sorry man, I stand by my words.
    I also believe there's no reason for us to be shooting any animals.  Even deer.  Stop killing their predators and infringing on habitat, and let nature create the balance.  The natural world is supremely expert at doing that.  

Edit:  And how could I forget!  About six months ago, one night I heard a racket out on the deck in from of our house.  The noise came from a bear making a mess of things.  I just turned on a few lights outside and he left.  Others in the neighborhood have seen this bear.  No one has felt the need to shoot it.  If nothing is left out for them to eat, they go away. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    Change gun laws.  If your politician won't act to do that, change them too.

https://giffords.org/elections/endorsements/
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I’m not a gun nut, but I’ve never owned a gun where I provided any information  nor have I had a background check. They are all legal 

I bought one in college from a buddy.  He is in customs and border protection today.  About every 5 years I get an an email that he is going through a background check and he wants to know if I still have the gun. 

He knows who he sold it to, but he could have sold it to a random stranger 
    The fact that he sends you that email every few years makes me think he was supposed to go through a dealer and have you register it. Otherwise why would he care every time he’s getting a background check?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I’m not a gun nut, but I’ve never owned a gun where I provided any information  nor have I had a background check. They are all legal 

I bought one in college from a buddy.  He is in customs and border protection today.  About every 5 years I get an an email that he is going through a background check and he wants to know if I still have the gun. 

He knows who he sold it to, but he could have sold it to a random stranger 
    The fact that he sends you that email every few years makes me think he was supposed to go through a dealer and have you register it. Otherwise why would he care every time he’s getting a background check?
    For sure you didn’t have to go through a dealer back then. Still don’t today. 

Some government jobs want you to to account for guns you have purchased apparently. No idea why.  

Montana doesn’t have any registration requirements minus a background check at a store if you buy from a store but not a private sale.  No registration, permit, or license 

no waiting period either 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

What do you mean by “2A guy”? Do you mean stricter laws, or just owning guns in general?

I see the same circle every time this comes up. Most gun owners are okay with, or even want stronger gun laws and common sense laws. But when we disagree with 1 thing people lose their mind. 

We don’t need to ban AR15s. One, from my understanding, they aren’t used in all these mass shootings which they are usually reported to have been used. That list that was posted earlier isn’t accurate. So it’s not like banning 1 gun is going to solve much. AR15 has become a common term to basically refer to assault rifles. It’s like saying Kleenex when you need a tissue.

Ive said before ban features. Ban high capacity magazines, or even detachable magazines. You can have an AR15, but with a fixed magazine of 5 rounds it poses a much smaller threat. But too often people want to ban a gun or features based off what it looks like and not the function.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

What do you mean by “2A guy”? Do you mean stricter laws, or just owning guns in general?

I see the same circle every time this comes up. Most gun owners are okay with, or even want stronger gun laws and common sense laws. But when we disagree with 1 thing people lose their mind. 

We don’t need to ban AR15s. One, from my understanding, they aren’t used in all these mass shootings which they are usually reported to have been used. That list that was posted earlier isn’t accurate. So it’s not like banning 1 gun is going to solve much. AR15 has become a common term to basically refer to assault rifles. It’s like saying Kleenex when you need a tissue.

Ive said before ban features. Ban high capacity magazines, or even detachable magazines. You can have an AR15, but with a fixed magazine of 5 rounds it poses a much smaller threat. But too often people want to ban a gun or features based off what it looks like and not the function.
    Yeah we need to ban AR-15s....even the guy that invented them says so

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So the gunman shot at his grandma then fled by car....he wrecked the car somewhere near the school then entered the school.

Not sure if his initial intent was to hit the school or not.....EDIT...turns out it was. He posted about it online apparently

AR-15 was the weapon used
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    edited May 2022
    mace1229 said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not AR-15’s.  Assault weapons. 

There are a ton of AR-15 knockoffs.  Banning a model just means it’s tweaked soit’s different enough to get around a ban.

these shooters are using cheap bushmasters mostly. Banning an AR-15 keeps those legal .  XM-15 is one 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

There are a ton of AR-15 knockoffs.  Banning a model just means it’s tweaked soit’s different enough to get around a ban.

these shooters are using cheap bushmasters mostly. Banning an AR-15 keeps those legal .  XM-15 is one 
    AR-15 = AR-15 and everything resembling one...do I really need to have all the details at this point? I certainly didn't mean ban all AR-15s but not look a likes

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    Parksy said:
    dankind said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

AR-15 = AR-15 and everything resembling one...do I really need to have all the details at this point? I certainly didn't mean ban all AR-15s but not look a likes
    I think the gun laws during Clinton administration stuff like that happened.  A specific model was restricted so it was changed to something else. 
This discussion has been closed.