America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin
    That couldn’t be more false. Not every republican voted for trump or carries a gun. 
    If you support the republicans you support guns, banning abortion,  limiting voting rights and much more bs.  
    I support Republican border security, national defense, and fiscal policy, and some of their other philosophies while abhorring them for those 3 things you mentioned.  Most Americans are in the middle.  This hardline stance on either side has to end.  Both sides have shitter agendas to promote the extremes.  

If I do one thing before I leave Texas it will be voting against Abbot and Cruz, it doesn't even matter who the blue vote is.  This place is the pits. This gun shit has to end. Can't wait until I leave TX but I will make sure to get that ballot in against those two assholes before I do.
    I used to be a Republican when they pretended to be about small government.  Now, this is their fiscal policy, which has pitted Americans against each other so the few can take more and more.  I left the party when Palin was chosen as McCain's VP because their chosen path was clear.  I will never vote Republican again in my life.

Republicans are populists now.  It’s not the free trade, pro business, limited government  party of the past.  Anyone who says they are a Republican because of finance/fiscal  issues are clinging to a party that doesn’t exist 

it’s always been a balance of business interests and  social conservatives .  Now it’s just populism 

couldn’t be more clear in the “corporations are people too” argument of the past in reference to corporate influence in politics to “business needs to keep its mouth shut” today 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin
    That couldn’t be more false. Not every republican voted for trump or carries a gun. 
    If you support the republicans you support guns, banning abortion,  limiting voting rights and much more bs.  
    I support Republican border security, national defense, and fiscal policy, and some of their other philosophies while abhorring them for those 3 things you mentioned.  Most Americans are in the middle.  This hardline stance on either side has to end.  Both sides have shitter agendas to promote the extremes.  

If I do one thing before I leave Texas it will be voting against Abbot and Cruz, it doesn't even matter who the blue vote is.  This place is the pits. This gun shit has to end. Can't wait until I leave TX but I will make sure to get that ballot in against those two assholes before I do.
    I used to be a Republican when they pretended to be about small government.  Now, this is their fiscal policy, which has pitted Americans against each other so the few can take more and more.  I left the party when Palin was chosen as McCain's VP because their chosen path was clear.  I will never vote Republican again in my life.

I agree about Palin and it was disappointing because I really didn’t think McCain was a snake but you’re right it was a turning point for many borderline republicans.  And in fairness I have to say Hillary not leaving William showed no spine AND she continued to support him….if I hadn’t despised FF so much I wouldn’t have voted for her.  
  • Options
    Once again Americas Gun Violence hits the top of AMT and yet we have no gun problems, none at all.  Wonder if they’ll claim this was all made up as well.  Bet the parents of these children wish it was. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2022
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

I agree about Palin and it was disappointing because I really didn’t think McCain was a snake but you’re right it was a turning point for many borderline republicans.  And in fairness I have to say Hillary not leaving William showed no spine AND she continued to support him….if I hadn’t despised FF so much I wouldn’t have voted for her.  
    How is Hillary standing by a cheating, lying husband equivalent to the destruction the GOP has wrought upon our country?  Honest question.  So many of my friends (not the lazy ones, ones who actually follow politics) find fault on both sides as if it's equal.  The GOP doesn't even believe in democracy, let alone capitalism or our Constitution.  They are 100% ready to destroy our country in order to retain power.  How is that (R) even an option any more?

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

How is Hillary standing by a cheating, lying husband equivalent to the destruction the GOP has wrought upon our country?  Honest question.  So many of my friends (not the lazy ones, ones who actually follow politics) find fault on both sides as if it's equal.  The GOP doesn't even believe in democracy, let alone capitalism or our Constitution.  They are 100% ready to destroy our country in order to retain power.  How is that (R) even an option any more?

Oh I totally get what you’re saying and I’ll explain, reword,  I wasn’t trying to compare Palin or Hillary to the shit going on today, I was trying to say that even then you could see that McCain caved and as someone who thought he was a decent republican even he turned out to be a POS.  Does that make sense? The petty politics of years ago is gone, I totally agree with that, nowadays it’s more about people wanting a blood bath.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

Oh I totally get what you’re saying and I’ll explain, reword,  I wasn’t trying to compare Palin or Hillary to the shit going on today, I was trying to say that even then you could see that McCain caved and as someone who thought he was a decent republican even he turned out to be a POS.  Does that make sense? The petty politics of years ago is gone, I totally agree with that, nowadays it’s more about people wanting a blood bath.  
    The primary system needs to be changed.  It makes it hard for a moderate to win.  Moderates are what most Americans are.  It’s primaries that force people to the extremes as that’s who you vote for in the general. The most hardcore member running in the primary. 

It’s the only reason trump got the nomination.  Winning states with 30 percent of republicans. 70 percent didn’t even like the guy. That changed as soon as he was the nominee 

McCain was a moderate. Palin was to secure the right flank.  But it’s not like they would have voted for Obama anyway, so doing it at all is stupid 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    Guns are the tool.  Nobody uses a hammer unless they intend to build a house.  I'm not going to use a car unless I intend to go somewhere.

I'm for tighter gun control and generally anti-gun.  But people are out there wanting to kill a lot of people.   What is different today than 50 years ago when guns were still out there easy to get?  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

The primary system needs to be changed.  It makes it hard for a moderate to win.  Moderates are what most Americans are.  It’s primaries that force people to the extremes as that’s who you vote for in the general. The most hardcore member running in the primary. 

It’s the only reason trump got the nomination.  Winning states with 30 percent of republicans. 70 percent didn’t even like the guy. That changed as soon as he was the nominee 

McCain was a moderate. Palin was to secure the right flank.  But it’s not like they would have voted for Obama anyway, so doing it at all is stupid 

look at primary voting participation. if all who vote in a general chose to take the time for a primary things could change.  even general election participation is inadequate imo....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

look at primary voting participation. if all who vote in a general chose to take the time for a primary things could change.  even general election participation is inadequate imo....
    That’s true too. Primaries attract far less moderate voters to begin with 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,481
    Guns are the tool.  Nobody uses a hammer unless they intend to build a house.  I'm not going to use a car unless I intend to go somewhere.

I'm for tighter gun control and generally anti-gun.  But people are out there wanting to kill a lot of people.   What is different today than 50 years ago when guns were still out there easy to get?  
    Besides Fox News? And a dramatically more rabid gun culture? 
  • Options

Besides Fox News? And a dramatically more rabid gun culture? 
    The political climate even if a shooting isn’t necessarily politically motivated.

People are just angry and confrontational generally.  
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

Yeah, it does. I long for the days of petty politics/policy discussions. Now I just wonder if our country can be saved. I’m not so sure. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    This makes me sick. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    Fucking disgusting. And another angry 18 year old. The active shooter suspect seems to be evolving to our youth more often than not these days.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

Pretty much described my situation, though I left shortly before Palin. Modern day Republican party is a fucking cult. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,481

What kind of country and citizenry allows this to continue to happen? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022

a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Deleted by admin

Yeah, it does. I long for the days of petty politics/policy discussions. Now I just wonder if our country can be saved. I’m not so sure. 
    it cannot be saved. you have one party who's entire platform is white grievance and they refuse to do even the basics to try to protect their own constituents.

with the discourse and division as it is, this country will fail in 10 years.

we are not the united states of america. we are the divided tribes of america.

texas has been talking about seceding from the union in recent years. i propose that blue states secede from the red ones. let the red states try to thrive without the blue ones. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

us. we allow it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,595
    edited May 2022
    19 dead kids and 2 adults. Nothing can be done. Thoughts and prayers. Oh, and now is not the time for knee jerk reactionary political discourse. Oh no, not while the families grieve. Fuck you kelly Ann CONway and your stupid book too.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195

One run by republicans 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

One run by republicans 
    which is, us.

minority party will not allow anything to come up for a vote in the senate.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    did the framers know what a blood thirsty bitch Liberty was?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    Well the Texas AG thinks the solution is more guns, aka arming teachers. Of course, what else.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

a country in which the supreme court didn’t even rule on an individuals right to own a gun until 2008

Yep, that’s true.if you actually read the second amendment it makes more sense as to why an individual right had never been recognised. I suspect a lot of pro gun people don’t actually read it though 

the old west had more gun control than today. Blanket bans inside cities was common 

an individual right to own a gun has been recognised for less time than a right to an abortion. Saying it’s set in stone or not open to revision isn’t true 
    That depends on how you define gun control. The gun laws back then more often applied to open or concealed carrying in public. But purchasing and tracking firearms was much more free. Today you don’t have to register a gun made before 1898, and pretty much any other laws that apply like a wait period. I always assumed that’s because that’s when they started keeping records, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    if you don't know the story Steve's father was assassinated when serving as President of the American University of Beirut in 1984. Steve was a freshman at Arizona at the time.   I liked that he called out McConnell and that there are 50 Senators holding gun legislation hostage.  I get his outrage. When I heard the news today I had the same reaction.  and yet people will continue to vote these bastards in.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Ah, the GOP: the party of child massacres. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    What is it with places like Texas wanting more guns and fewer firearm restrictions?  Some kind of death wish?  It appears so.  (And it's not, of course, just about Texas).  This whole thing literally makes me sick to my stomach. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.