Options

Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos surround

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    edited October 2023
    This is amazing. 

WMA is revelatory. It’s like a brand new version. 
  • Options
    Shit the bonus tracks are mixed too? 

Hold On sounds fantastic.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Sirens4 said:
    Are those strings I hear on Elderly? Mike's leads, wow! 
    Or a synth 
    Probably. Man, Mike’s leads on Elderly! So fucking good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 278
    It sounds amazing. I won't lie though, I miss "You guys ready?" at the beginning of Daughter. I remember thinking it was so cool when it was released. 
  • Options
    This is amazing. 

WMA is revelatory. It’s like a brand new version. 
    Reminds me a bit of the demos from the Dave A. tapes with that main riff much more present. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    What Cready Stomp could have become...damn. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Victoria William's vocals right up there. I'm so grateful the band is doing these. Makes me fall in love all over again with my all time favorite LP. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    CC55781CC55781 Posts: 26
    I’m so happy to read this from everyone. I enjoy PJ Atmos mixes so much, they’ve become my go-to versions. All the Josh Evans and Nick Rives Atmos Pj mixes to date are fantastic. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,944
    Sounds great even just through my iPhone. Wow! Can’t imagine how good it sounds on a great system. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Sounds great even just through my iPhone. Wow! Can’t imagine how good it sounds on a great system. 
    AirPod Pros. Save $$$ on a full stereo setup. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,944
    Thanks as always @2-feign-reluctance
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    How does stereo work on vinyl... could a vinyl album in theory be constructed to have 5.0 audio?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    How does stereo work on vinyl... could a vinyl album in theory be constructed to have 5.0 audio?
    @mrussel1
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I think vinyl only can do mono or stereo. To do 5 channels, you could need to design a new type of lathe that can cut all the chnnels and design a type of needle that could pick up all 5 channels and require a Receiver that can process those signals. 
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 286
    No. There have been quadrophonic records, but those are rare and I haven't seen one made in years, maybe decades. 
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 26
    I listen to boots about 99% of the time. My ears are very accustomed to Mike and Jeff on my left and Stone on my right. The studio (and Atmos) mixes on Vs. are opposite? Maybe if I think of myself as Ed on stage it will sound normal?
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    Dizzle said:
    I listen to boots about 99% of the time. My ears are very accustomed to Mike and Jeff on my left and Stone on my right. The studio (and Atmos) mixes on Vs. are opposite? Maybe if I think of myself as Ed on stage it will sound normal?
    I've been having some trouble with this too. I'm so used to having Stone in the right ear so it's taken a bit of getting used to. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options

You'd save $$$, but you'd also not even experience 1% of what Atmos is like in a proper full-range playback system.
  • Options
    tylerj said:
    No. There have been quadrophonic records, but those are rare and I haven't seen one made in years, maybe decades. 

Thankfully a number of those quadraphonic master tapes have been converted to digital so we can enjoy them without messing around with quad vinyl playback systems. The Alan Parsons quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon is THE way to experience DSOTM, it is a major mind****. And with those Immersion box sets 10 years ago, we finally got a properly mastered 24/96 4.0 PCM version of it. Tubular Bells quad was released on SACD and now the SDE Blu-ray that has the new Atmos mix. Many SACD releases from Audio Fidelity gave us the old quad tapes remastered digitally, and Quadio/Rhino is releasing a bunch of quad mixes on Blu-ray from Doobies, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper and Jefferson Starship.
  • Options
    Vs. Atmos is really a mixed bag, how did they get some tracks so right and **** up so many others? The differences in overall volume and EQ are easy to spot when switching tracks on the fly, but the difference in the approach of the mix too, very peculiar. I listen to mono, stereo, 3-channel (Nat King Cole SACD, After Midnight), quad, 5.1, Atmos, etc., and I've never come across an album that sounds so disjointed as Vs.

Four tracks I find sound amazing, the first being the most imporant: W.M.A., Elderly, Mary, Rats
    Four tracks I find sound poor: Leash, Dissident, Rearview, Glorified

What I find poor: the mix is not big at all, when you listen to the chorus in Leash it all sounds very small, the sibilants of Eddie's voice and Dave's cymbals and hi-hats sound very muted and rolled off, it's not wide at all and the choice to isolate the guitar solo in the centre is very odd. If you switch to W.M.A. from the middle of the chorus of Leash, listen to how immediately different everything is. The cymbals and hi-hats have a beautiful sheen to them and sound much more visceral, the mix suddenly opens up and your speakers sound much further apart than they were while listening to Leash, and the volume jumps by around 10dB!

I listened to the first verse and chorus of Leash this morning (Left) and measured the average volume and peak volume, then I recorded just the intro of W.M.A. (Right) before it even takes off, without any volume adjustments, and look at the stark contrast:

• Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    Shit the bonus tracks are mixed too? 

Hold On sounds fantastic.
    just got home from seeing eV is seattle and u2 in vegas.....went right to wma as a drummer....but wait......HOLD ON in trueeeee dolby atmos!!!!!

super yum!

this is awesome so far :)
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    The Rock said:
    It's annoying that we can't just purchase the Atmos mixes and download them rather than subscribing to a streaming platform. 
    I wish we could purchase & download them too. Would be cool if they released the Atmos mixes on Blu-ray.
    yes please other bands do this....
  • Options
    bjmjpl said:
    demetrios said:
    The Rock said:
    It's annoying that we can't just purchase the Atmos mixes and download them rather than subscribing to a streaming platform. 
    I wish we could purchase & download them too. Would be cool if they released the Atmos mixes on Blu-ray.
    yes please other bands do this....
    but it is AMAZING we get this at all - so super appreciative but yeah make some money and get physical
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Hell I would even do a box set of all the studio albums on Blu Ray in Atmos.
    strilo said:
    strilo said:
    strilo said:
    strilo said:
    strilo said:
    strilo said:
    absolutely this!!!!!
  • Options
    dobyblue said:
    Vs. Atmos is really a mixed bag, how did they get some tracks so right and **** up so many others? The differences in overall volume and EQ are easy to spot when switching tracks on the fly, but the difference in the approach of the mix too, very peculiar. I listen to mono, stereo, 3-channel (Nat King Cole SACD, After Midnight), quad, 5.1, Atmos, etc., and I've never come across an album that sounds so disjointed as Vs.

Four tracks I find sound amazing, the first being the most imporant: W.M.A., Elderly, Mary, Rats
    Four tracks I find sound poor: Leash, Dissident, Rearview, Glorified

What I find poor: the mix is not big at all, when you listen to the chorus in Leash it all sounds very small, the sibilants of Eddie's voice and Dave's cymbals and hi-hats sound very muted and rolled off, it's not wide at all and the choice to isolate the guitar solo in the centre is very odd. If you switch to W.M.A. from the middle of the chorus of Leash, listen to how immediately different everything is. The cymbals and hi-hats have a beautiful sheen to them and sound much more visceral, the mix suddenly opens up and your speakers sound much further apart than they were while listening to Leash, and the volume jumps by around 10dB!

I listened to the first verse and chorus of Leash this morning (Left) and measured the average volume and peak volume, then I recorded just the intro of W.M.A. (Right) before it even takes off, without any volume adjustments, and look at the stark contrast:

i can notice this too - nice analysis - it almost seems the bass is cranked over the treble by accident or something....im on apple music
  • Options
    dobyblue said:

You'd save $$$, but you'd also not even experience 1% of what Atmos is like in a proper full-range playback system.
    Cool. Still sounds amazing to my ears. Maybe one day after my babies are all grown up I’ll have the time to sit around and listen to albums in Atmos on a proper system. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Wow, I haven't been on this board in years but wanted to see if anyone was chatting about the Vs. release in Atmos. I'm listening on Apple Music with my AirPods Max and ho-ly shit this sounds amazing. 

I've been very hit or miss on Spatial Audio in general, especially with Pearl Jam given how intimately familiar I am with these albums. Vs. so far is by far the best one I've heard -- basically everything I love in the original mix is there, with some extra elements thrown in / things clarified, etc. I'm really enjoying it so far and I'm only on Glorified G. Animal was a little weird, but the bass on Go was unreal, and Daugher sounded amazing as well. I'm really enjoying it.

I thought Yield was pretty well done, too, and Ten wasn't bad either. I thought Gigaton was not at all done well (Who Ever Said sounds terrible). and I haven't dug into LB too much yet. Anyway, it's interesting to hear for sure, as long as the original mixes don't go anywhere! 
  • Options
    Gigaton is fantastic and have you ever listened to 10 closely? Maybe you need the actual discrete speakers. You don't even need to listen closely 10 was done expertly in my opinion and I just was in the back of my living room unpacking something listening to animal and Dolby Atmos and there's a couple notes in there that you would not hear unless you were literally standing under the back most speaker just makes me smile all these Hidden Treasures total game changer :-)
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    edited November 2023
    So I will say again, cuz I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, I absolutely LOVE all of the Pearl Jam Atmos releases so far.... on my home theater system with a full Atmos receiver and a 5.1 speaker setup.

I do not care for much of the Atmos content on headphones, in my case AirPods Pro. I flat out don't like Ten, Vs., or Gigaton's mixes in headphones at all. The other albums, I like most of them. But honestly, if I have them on shuffle (as I do frequently), I turn off Atmos. Only downside is then I get the wrong lyrics for Who You Are... lol
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 707
    I just got AirPods for Christmas. Where do I find these mixes?