Options

Pearl Jam albums in Dolby Atmos surround

strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
So we all know that Pearl Jam did a Dolby Atmos surround mix of Gigaton to go alongside the whole visual album thing they released (eventually) on AppleTV+ and for purchase. And then when Apple did their whole new Dolby Atmos driven Spatial Audio thing, they made Gigaton a part of that, even apart from the visual album. When you stream Gigaton on compatible systems (headphones or surround systems) you hear the Atmos mix.

Now today (I think) without any fanfare or word that I could find, they suddenly put brand new Dolby Atmos surround mixes up of both Ten and No Code. These are brand new full Atmos surround mixes of these two albums, never heard before now that I am aware of. Like Gigaton, when you stream either Ten or No Code using Apple Music on compatible systems (headphones or surround systems) you hear the Atmos mix, if Atmos is turned on in your settings for Music.

The impact in headphones is definitely noticeable, for me largely because it's a clearer, richer sound with deeper and more natural bass sound. But on my Atmos surround home theater system, it's a completely insane revolutionary experience. The music envelopes you like never before, instruments and sounds come from behind, beside you, all around. Sometimes the. music swirls around and comes from everywhere in the room. It's mind blowing on some songs.

Does anyone else enjoy music in surround? Is anyone else listening to these?
PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,321
    edited August 2021
    strilo said:
    So we all know that Pearl Jam did a Dolby Atmos surround mix of Gigaton to go alongside the whole visual album thing they released (eventually) on AppleTV+ and for purchase. And then when Apple did their whole new Dolby Atmos driven Spatial Audio thing, they made Gigaton a part of that, even apart from the visual album. When you stream Gigaton on compatible systems (headphones or surround systems) you hear the Atmos mix.

Now today (I think) without any fanfare or word that I could find, they suddenly put brand new Dolby Atmos surround mixes up of both Ten and No Code. These are brand new full Atmos surround mixes of these two albums, never heard before now that I am aware of. Like Gigaton, when you stream either Ten or No Code using Apple Music on compatible systems (headphones or surround systems) you hear the Atmos mix, if Atmos is turned on in your settings for Music.

The impact in headphones is definitely noticeable, for me largely because it's a clearer, richer sound with deeper and more natural bass sound. But on my Atmos surround home theater system, it's a completely insane revolutionary experience. The music envelopes you like never before, instruments and sounds come from behind, beside you, all around. Sometimes the. music swirls around and comes from everywhere in the room. It's mind blowing on some songs.

Does anyone else enjoy music in surround? Is anyone else listening to these?
    Yea it was announced a few months back that Apple was doing it to a lot of their catalog. Gigaton was the first album by UMG I believe to be recorded on Dolby Atmos 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Apple is not doing the Atmos themselves, this was something that was done with the approval of the band. And someone mixed it. Could be Josh Evans, could be someone else. Not sure. I hope we get more info. I imagine maybe the band announces something official tomorrow with the actual anniversary date?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 452
    Might have to look into this. I have a Note 20 Ultra, & I use Shure SE 535 headphones to listen to music. The phone supports Atmos. Gigaton sounds absolutely otherworldly.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    ZFieldsZFields Posts: 14
    I’ve been majorly digging these dolby atmos/spatial audio ten and no code mixes on my AirPod pros. No code is insane. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Might have to look into this. I have a Note 20 Ultra, & I use Shure SE 535 headphones to listen to music. The phone supports Atmos. Gigaton sounds absolutely otherworldly.
    Check out the Abbey Road remix/Atmos on there. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZFields said:
    I’ve been majorly digging these dolby atmos/spatial audio ten and no code mixes on my AirPod pros. No code is insane. 
    You should hear it on a 5.1 surround speaker system... it's pure bliss. Who You Are is one of the best songs in surround I've ever heard. Off He Goes is everything I dreamed of. SOOOO good.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I purchased a new Atmos system last year with new speakers. Everything but the Atmos speakers have been hooked up. Need to get on it this weekend to give these all a listen. 
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice that the vocal track on Release is a totally different performance? it sounds newer to me, like Ed came back and recorded it later. He even uses some of the different lyrics like he does in concert...
  • Options
    strilo said:
    Did anyone else notice that the vocal track on Release is a totally different performance? it sounds newer to me, like Ed came back and recorded it later. He even uses some of the different lyrics like he does in concert...
    I think he re-did it for that movie Furnace something or another with Christian Bale? Anyone else remember this? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Out of the Furnace. No shit, I had no idea he did that. It sure makes sense... even if it is a bizarre choice to include it in the Ten Atmos mix.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    edited August 2021
    Just reading and learning about this now... and wanted to get some advice from you folks.

I don't have Apple Music, but for this I'm going to take advantage of this free 3 month things and then cancel. 

My iPhone doesn't have an input, it just uses bluetooth.  I have these Bob Marley bluetooth headphones... but I also have a stereo receiver that does bluetooth as well. 

Is the quality still good through bluetooth?  If I set up my bluetooth receiver, do you recommend I hook it up to my good surround system? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edit: Would my receiver need to have this 'Dolby Atmos' technology, or is that all through Apple Music? 
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    Flipping out for these. Really hope Josh mixes the rest of the catalog. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    Parksy said:
    Just reading and learning about this now... and wanted to get some advice from you folks.

I don't have Apple Music, but for this I'm going to take advantage of this free 3 month things and then cancel. 

My iPhone doesn't have an input, it just uses bluetooth.  I have these Bob Marley bluetooth headphones... but I also have a stereo receiver that does bluetooth as well. 

Is the quality still good through bluetooth?  If I set up my bluetooth receiver, do you recommend I hook it up to my good surround system? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edit: Would my receiver need to have this 'Dolby Atmos' technology, or is that all through Apple Music? 
    It will sound a bit different, but you need atmos compatible headphones. AirPods are some of the easiest to get. I think Beats makes some too. 

As for a home theater setup, yeah, your receiver needs to be Atmos compatible.
  • Options
    I agree. I'd love to have everything in Atmos. But definitely want the studio albums. Vitalogy next!?!?!?
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Missed opportunity for the recent vinyl reissues ("purple" Ten, "clear" No Code) to have been these remixes. :i_dunno:
  • Options
    You can't do Atmos remixes on vinyl. Atmos is a digital format. Vinyl is analog.

It is possible (and I hope they do it) that these new mixes would be released on Blu Ray. But then I also wish they would release the Gigaton Visual Album on Blu Ray too.
  • Options
    For the headphone crowd. iPad Pro's do Atmos playback, get the USB-C to headphone jack (like $5) and then get a pair of ATH-M50x's. They are amazing headphones that play back Atmos. Apple Airpods suck IMO. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    strilo said:
    You can't do Atmos remixes on vinyl. Atmos is a digital format. Vinyl is analog.

It is possible (and I hope they do it) that these new mixes would be released on Blu Ray. But then I also wish they would release the Gigaton Visual Album on Blu Ray too
    It would be awesome indeed.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    AirPods suck. AirPods Pro are way way better. I still prefer my Sennheisers for serious stereo listening, but when I am exercising or working around the house, the AirPods Pro are really great. 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    strilo said:

It is possible (and I hope they do it) that these new mixes would be released on Blu Ray. But then I also wish they would release the Gigaton Visual Album on Blu Ray too.
    I thought Gigaton on vinyl was mixed for Atmos.
  • Options
    strilo said:
    AirPods suck. AirPods Pro are way way better. I still prefer my Sennheisers for serious stereo listening, but when I am exercising or working around the house, the AirPods Pro are really great. 
    Glad they upped their headphone game. I haven't used Apple headphones ever, and I love Apple products. Sennheisers are another level for sure. Sony's MDR series are also very good if you don't want to spend $$$. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Maybe now that things are chilling regarding Soundgarden's estate, they'll put out the DTS version of Superunknown. Incredible. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Maybe now that things are chilling regarding Soundgarden's estate, they'll put out the DTS version of Superunknown. Incredible. 

Pray for that :prayer:
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Question for the Atmos mixes of Ten and No Code, can you purchase these versions in iTunes as a non-subscribed Apple Music person?  I looked in the music store but didn’t see any high res options…just what looked to be regular album digital files.  I have all the tools for Atmos playback, just want the album files which I prefer to buy rather than rent/subscribe.  Love Gigaton’s Atmos one.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Parksy said:

Thanks in advance! 

It will sound a bit different, but you need atmos compatible headphones. AirPods are some of the easiest to get. I think Beats makes some too. 

As for a home theater setup, yeah, your receiver needs to be Atmos compatible.
    Thanks so much! 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options

Pray for that :prayer:
    It sounds amazing, anyone who loves that album needs to hear it that way. There's so much going on there that I never picked up from two channel listening all these years. Also, sounds like the band is playing in-between your ears. Very, very trippy. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 497
    Interesting.  I didn't care for the Atmos version of Gigaton, but loved hearing a extra chord that Mike throws in occasionally in the verses of Alive that I couldn't hear on previous versions and I don't think I've heard him use it live either.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    strilo said:

I thought Gigaton on vinyl was mixed for Atmos.
    No you're talking apples and oranges. Atmos is a digital surround format by Dolby that can only be used in digital formats, streaming, digital files and blu ray discs.  The mix of Gigaton for vinyl was the same stereo mix as the CD version. And the stereo streaming version.
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    dcp3y said:
    Question for the Atmos mixes of Ten and No Code, can you purchase these versions in iTunes as a non-subscribed Apple Music person?  I looked in the music store but didn’t see any high res options…just what looked to be regular album digital files.  I have all the tools for Atmos playback, just want the album files which I prefer to buy rather than rent/subscribe.  Love Gigaton’s Atmos one.
    To answer my own question for the hopeful benefit of someone else…

iTunes does not display the Atmos logo, but the Music app does.  As previously said, both Ten and No Code have this format.  You can purchase in the iTunes Store and here are the corresponding screen shots displaying the Atmos format:

• Options
    dcp3y said:
    No I think the high resolution, lossless and Dolby Atmos on Apple Music is currently streaming only. I imagine maybe Apple Music, Tidal and maybe Amazon Music HD are the only places to stream these new mixes. So far. And unlike the new Beatles Atmos stuff, I don't see anywhere that they've done new stereo mixes of Ten or No Code. The only new mixes are the Atmos surround mixes.