Uh oh……2021 Jazz Fest canceled

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,054
    JimmyV said:
    The covid test requirement hides the fact that the cell phone rules are obnoxious. 
    I love it.  Jack White did that for his tour and it was great.  Not having someone's phone in my face the entire night was awesome.

I went to the 2 Raconteurs Boston shows in September of '19... it was awesome not having cell phones up in the air blocking my view, but it sucked waiting for everyone's pouches to get unlocked to get out of the venue. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,373
    JimmyV said:
    The covid test requirement hides the fact that the cell phone rules are obnoxious. 
    I love it.  Jack White did that for his tour and it was great.  Not having someone's phone in my face the entire night was awesome.

I went to the 2 Raconteurs Boston shows in September of '19... it was awesome not having cell phones up in the air blocking my view, but it sucked waiting for everyone's pouches to get unlocked to get out of the venue. 
    And standing around in GA for 2 hours wondering what time it was and not being able to check soem scores or anything.  It was great once the show starts for sure. 
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think those rules are standard for comedy shows.  If one person records and posts the material, there goes the tour.  Different for music where we’ve all heard Better Man a thousand times and the extra you tube video isn’t going to hurt ticket sales for the next show. 
    Can't speak to comedy shows but Pearl Jam's lead singer had the most strict cellphone rules I have ever encountered at a show, before or since, back in 2012. This might be an improvement over that, but I'm not a fan of security being empowered to supervise this. 
    I assume you mean the solo shows?  I always assumed this was becuase the shows were closer and more intimate, therefore the cell phones would be distracting.  No one is strict like Tool.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think those rules are standard for comedy shows.  If one person records and posts the material, there goes the tour.  Different for music where we’ve all heard Better Man a thousand times and the extra you tube video isn’t going to hurt ticket sales for the next show. 
    Can't speak to comedy shows but Pearl Jam's lead singer had the most strict cellphone rules I have ever encountered at a show, before or since, back in 2012. This might be an improvement over that, but I'm not a fan of security being empowered to supervise this. 
    I assume you mean the solo shows?  I always assumed this was becuase the shows were closer and more intimate, therefore the cell phones would be distracting.  No one is strict like Tool.
    Yes, Clearwater FL at the end of the tour. By then Ed had absolutely had it with the phones, which I do get, but the result was he empowered security to divebomb the seats. Guards were plowing through people to confiscate phones. This is during the supposedly intimate show. I've never had an experience like that. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes, Clearwater FL at the end of the tour. By then Ed had absolutely had it with the phones, which I do get, but the result was he empowered security to divebomb the seats. Guards were plowing through people to confiscate phones. This is during the supposedly intimate show. I've never had an experience like that. 

The tour before that which EV did was similar.  I thought it was fine but it was pretty darn aggressive.  People were warned and - shocker - they did it anyway.  Serves them right but it sucks for those who had their show disturbed because of the people who wanted to do what they wanted to do, regardless.

Sorry that Jazz Fest was cancelled.  Such a great event with some many great artists. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I was at that show.  At least I was at the N2, when he brought out his sister in law with her fiancee and such.  Security was super tight across the board.  I shoved the phone in my sock just to get it in.  Didn't even think about trying to record after that.  

Soon after, someone sent me complete footage from the Orlando show.  He had it in the center, balcony front row.  I haven't done anything with it, but great footage and pretty rare. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,481
    There was an asshole in front of me at the RHCP concert a few years ago.  We were on the floor in reserved seats so there was no getting away from it.

He had his phone pointed at the stage the entire time except for when he was jumping around and turning around to talk to people...that video would have been unwatchable with all the movement.  We kept hoping his battery would run out.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • There was an asshole in front of me at the RHCP concert a few years ago.  We were on the floor in reserved seats so there was no getting away from it.

He had his phone pointed at the stage the entire time except for when he was jumping around and turning around to talk to people...that video would have been unwatchable with all the movement.  We kept hoping his battery would run out.

It really is staggering how out of it some people are.
    I get nabbing a clip to keep or show to friends that is 10-20 seconds where you spin around and show how into it the crowd is or your fellow area folks are or whatever....but to do it the whole show is so beyond rude to people around you.   
    Many people are just assholes who only care about their good time.
    There was an asshole in front of me at the RHCP concert a few years ago.  We were on the floor in reserved seats so there was no getting away from it.

I get nabbing a clip to keep or show to friends that is 10-20 seconds where you spin around and show how into it the crowd is or your fellow area folks are or whatever....but to do it the whole show is so beyond rude to people around you.   
    If you record properly, it would never be above your own head.  Therefore it cannot obstruct the person in back of you.  Anyone that holds a camera above their head is an arsehole.  But recording does not make someone an arsehole.  You can do it properly and not disturb anyone else's experience. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:

If you record properly, it would never be above your own head.  Therefore it cannot obstruct the person in back of you.  Anyone that holds a camera above their head is an arsehole.  But recording does not make someone an arsehole.  You can do it properly and not disturb anyone else's experience. 

I don't personally have an issue with a person who does it and makes sure they don't block anyone else's view.
    I think the artists might have a beef but that is not my problem - my problem is when it blocks people, like Gern was sharing.

*edit -- if they hold it to their side (making their body bigger/blocking more of the view from anyone behind) I still would give them that label.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    mrussel1 said:

yeah he had it above his head....in our site line the entire time until his battery ran out which seemed to take awhile.

He was a fucking idiot.  It mostly pissed us off knowing that it would be unusable.  He was just moving too much and talking loudly to the people next to him so sound or video would have been worthless.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    If Eddie does not want cameras out then dont take your cameras out. Simple enough and show respect to the artist. That said in Taormina the people that decided to go against those wishes caused huge distractions. Not just because of their phone out but because as was mentioned above security coming and either removing them or shining a light in their face to tell them to stop. If he has a intimate show in the US again or a full tour just do what Jack White does with the phone in the locked bag trick. Very simple and easy. 

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited August 2021
    wall232 said:
    If you have the vaccine you can still get it and be a carrier, requiring a negative test for everyone is the safest way. IMHO. 

I'm fully vaccinated and would have no problem taking a test before going into a show. 
    This is where you lose me, basically zero chance of a vaccinated person spreading it to another vaccinated person and the results being a hospitalization/death. I guess I can buy we would be protecting those under 12 but that's a stretch. I'm pro vaccine mandates at this point but if those who are vaccinated have no real advantage to those who aren't this never ends. Start treating this thing like a common cold, which it basically is for those vaccinated. I'm for those unvaccinated paying their own medical bills but that's considered an extreme take so it will never get any traction. Even though they are overwhelming hospitals and creating a more dangerous healthcare system for everyone else. It's a mess of epic proportions, hopefully Pfizer's antiviral pill delivers bigtime and hospitalization/deaths to this already cured disease can finally slow to a tolerable level... whatever that is. Either way eventually COVID runs out of targets but that's a brutal way to go and will likely extend the pandemic through 2022. 
    Why is protecting unvaccinated kids a stretch? I sold my tickets to a show last week for that very reason. I'm vaccinated and was comfortable attending Foo Fighters at MSG six weeks ago because vaccines were required of all fans. But with the recent data on breakthrough infections and increase in pediatric cases, I didn't want to risk being around thousands of people who may or may not be vaccinated and/or contagious and possibly getting a breakthrough infection which would endanger my unvaccinated child. If they had on-site tests of all attendees I probably would have gone. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    PJNB said:
    If Eddie does not want cameras out then dont take your cameras out. Simple enough and show respect to the artist. That said in Taormina the people that decided to go against those wishes caused huge distractions. Not just because of their phone out but because as was mentioned above security coming and either removing them or shining a light in their face to tell them to stop. If he has a intimate show in the US again or a full tour just do what Jack White does with the phone in the locked bag trick. Very simple and easy. 

Yeah the security people at the Tool concert got annoying because they were just constantly around us telling people to put their phones away.  Probably still better than the alternative though.

SHZA said:
    wall232 said:
    If you have the vaccine you can still get it and be a carrier, requiring a negative test for everyone is the safest way. IMHO. 

I'm fully vaccinated and would have no problem taking a test before going into a show. 
    This is where you lose me, basically zero chance of a vaccinated person spreading it to another vaccinated person and the results being a hospitalization/death. I guess I can buy we would be protecting those under 12 but that's a stretch. I'm pro vaccine mandates at this point but if those who are vaccinated have no real advantage to those who aren't this never ends. Start treating this thing like a common cold, which it basically is for those vaccinated. I'm for those unvaccinated paying their own medical bills but that's considered an extreme take so it will never get any traction. Even though they are overwhelming hospitals and creating a more dangerous healthcare system for everyone else. It's a mess of epic proportions, hopefully Pfizer's antiviral pill delivers bigtime and hospitalization/deaths to this already cured disease can finally slow to a tolerable level... whatever that is. Either way eventually COVID runs out of targets but that's a brutal way to go and will likely extend the pandemic through 2022. 
    Why is protecting unvaccinated kids a stretch? I sold my tickets to a show last week for that very reason. I'm vaccinated and was comfortable attending Foo Fighters at MSG six weeks ago because vaccines were required of all fans. But with the recent data on breakthrough infections and increase in pediatric cases, I didn't want to risk being around thousands of people who may or may not be vaccinated and/or contagious and possibly getting a breakthrough infection which would endanger my unvaccinated child 
    Are you homeschooling your child or keeping them out of daycare? That is where I am personally worried about mine getting it. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    Some people need to kindly step away from this thread.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

PJNB said:
    SHZA said:
    wall232 said:

Why is protecting unvaccinated kids a stretch? I sold my tickets to a show last week for that very reason. I'm vaccinated and was comfortable attending Foo Fighters at MSG six weeks ago because vaccines were required of all fans. But with the recent data on breakthrough infections and increase in pediatric cases, I didn't want to risk being around thousands of people who may or may not be vaccinated and/or contagious and possibly getting a breakthrough infection which would endanger my unvaccinated child 
    Are you homeschooling your child or keeping them out of daycare? That is where I am personally worried about mine getting it. 
    He's not school age yet and we're still working from home. Hoping vaccines are available for kids in the next few months 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,541
    JimmyV said:

could be part of the reason why it was my favourite show of all time
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Picture it....Sicily, 2011, ok Winnipeg, I'm Row 2 on the floor (seated) for Chris Cornell. D-bag in ROW FUCKING ONE had his cell phone recording the whole show above his head. Super distracting. Security did nothing. Third song in I told him to put the fuckin thing away. He got mad at me but put it away. Some people. 

www.headstonesband.com

• lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    PJNB said:
    SHZA said:
    wall232 said:

Fair enough on the kid front. I've relentlessly pursued data on pediatric COVID numbers since the start of this disaster. I have a healthy 10 year old and believe from what I have been able to find the risk is minimal. I know first hand dozens of children infected. Either through his school, friends or my wife's as she is a teacher. None of them ended up in the hospital or have experienced long COVID. So for me that's the data I trust, first hand. CA has reported nearly 500,000 COVID cases (Actual numbers are well into the millions) in the 17 and under group, 23 have died. Take those numbers however you choose, for me my child living some semblance of a normal life is priority #1. For others that may not be the case, I'm not here to judge. I intend on getting him vaccinated when the time comes but will NOT have him living in constant fear in the meantime. Childhood obesity, mental health, learning loss are all catastrophic problems COVID help accelerate in children. Kids get to be kids once, sacrificing years of their childhood will have serious consequences if this thing continues.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I have to laugh at that one guy’s comment regarding the non-vaccinated people being of a certain political party.  It is strongly apolitical in my region.  Hell, it may be the only thing uniting both sides sadly.   I’m of the belief that the best way to protect your younger kids is to get most of the adults vaccinated.  

Back to PJ……
    If im going to a concert id be way more comfortable with everyone doing tests the day of a concert if need be.   The only time i was glad to miss a PJ show was the Spectrum when everyone caught that intense puking virus or whatever that was.  Either that or give me a private suite.  
    mrussel1 said:

yeah he had it above his head....in our site line the entire time until his battery ran out which seemed to take awhile.

He was a fucking idiot.  It mostly pissed us off knowing that it would be unusable.  He was just moving too much and talking loudly to the people next to him so sound or video would have been worthless.
    it's not just that it's blocking my view. often it isn't. it's the same to me as some asshat checking his texts in a movie theatre. the super bright light is distracting. turn that fucker off. 

going to a movie tonight for the first time in 18 months. hopefully I don't have a "GEORGE IS GETTIN' UPSET" moment. 

www.headstonesband.com

PJNB said:
    SHZA said:
    wall232 said:

Fair enough on the kid front. I've relentlessly pursued data on pediatric COVID numbers since the start of this disaster. I have a healthy 10 year old and believe from what I have been able to find the risk is minimal. I know first hand dozens of children infected. Either through his school, friends or my wife's as she is a teacher. None of them ended up in the hospital or have experienced long COVID. So for me that's the data I trust, first hand. CA has reported nearly 500,000 COVID cases (Actual numbers are well into the millions) in the 17 and under group, 23 have died. Take those numbers however you choose, for me my child living some semblance of a normal life is priority #1. For others that may not be the case, I'm not here to judge. I intend on getting him vaccinated when the time comes but will NOT have him living in constant fear in the meantime. Childhood obesity, mental health, learning loss are all catastrophic problems COVID help accelerate in children. Kids get to be kids once, sacrificing years of their childhood will have serious consequences if this thing continues.
    Hopefully the data for delta are consistent with those numbers but I think the jury's still out. I'm not suggesting kids shouldn't be living their normal lives but for myself as an adult who has attended hundreds of events I am content to skip it for now rather than possibly expose myself to something that could then expose my kid to something potentially severe. But if I know that everyone there was tested on the way in, it's a different story. Not sure if any other events will do the same but I think it's a great idea. 
  • it's so sad to see nola take yet another hit.
    i can't imagine how devastated that city must have been in the last year   :(
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    On a positive note, Dave Matthews Band is currently on a lengthy tour of outdoor venues.  Played 2 shows in Chicago this past weekend.  Haven't heard of any problems, anecdotally or in the media.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    edited August 2021
    One thing I do know is that if either the Encore Ohana or SHN gets post poned is that I’ll be requesting a refund

90% of the draw of these shows for me are the fact that this is it for 2021

If these happen in 2022, before or after a regular tour, I will have no interest in traveling for a 2 hour festival set from my end

So really, really hoping that both of these shows go ahead
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    ddeschler said:
    On a positive note, Dave Matthews Band is currently on a lengthy tour of outdoor venues.  Played 2 shows in Chicago this past weekend.  Haven't heard of any problems, anecdotally or in the media.
    That is great news. There has been way more successful stories of concerts happening without any huge spreads than those that had issues but that would not make a flashy headline. We need to now the good and the bad. I am not saying to hide the bad. I just wish they were weighted appropriately. 
  • ddeschler said:
    One of my good friends went this weekend to both shows.  Traveled from Detroit.
    Texted him Sunday AM to see how things were going and he sent back "hoping for a mild case of Covid.". He took his wife who is a superfan and both are vaccinated but both are also obese.
    Hoping they don't get it.

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,989
    One thing I do know is that if either the Encore Ohana or SHN gets post poned is that I’ll be requesting a refund

90% of the draw of these shows for me are the fact that this is it for 2021

If these happen in 2022, before or after a regular tour, I will have no interest in traveling for a 2 hour festival set from my end

So really, really hoping that both of these shows go ahead
    +1 on that amigo
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    One of my good friends went this weekend to both shows.  Traveled from Detroit.
    Are they going to the Detroit show this Wed too?  Hardcore.  Maybe the Indy shows this weekend too?
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.