Options

Olympics

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Biles, who is known for her rare ability to flip through the air and land on her feet, had developed the “twisties” — a sensation gymnasts can develop where they lose their sense of control in the air. Fear or pressure often trigger it.

Simone Biles Spotlights the ‘Twisties’ and Why Mental Health Matters

I never put mental health and pressure together in the same thought and I asked if her losing that edge is the same as mental health.  I never thought losing confidence was a mental health attribute?  Either way I am rooting for her on the balance beam.  I am hoping for the happy ending!

There is an article that talks about doodling.  I used to be a doodle/drawing fiend.  My mind doesn't race like it used to so I don't do it as much.  Interesting as to why I most likely did it.

No idea.  I really don’t care about the olympics all that much to concern myself about Gymnastics 🤸‍♂️… a sport in which I never watch.  I may have watched 2 hours total…the Olympics are corrupt…I wish the Winter Olympics were boycotted…

but biles has overcome a lot…so she deserves a pass no matter why.

I haven't watched much either.  Honestly I still can't get a grip on why water polo or skateboarding can be Olympic events.

I did watch some badminton the other day...but how far behind can cornhole be as an Olympic event?
    Water polo is difficult.  Those people that play at that level are cheating bastards too, lol.  Always kicking and pinching each other!  I enjoy watching it though.

I don't like watching long distance races.  Anything above 5k is a snoozer.

Skateboarding literally anyone can do.  If they allow snowboarding, which I find boring as hell, then skateboarding, much more exciting, should be included.
    Literally anyone can skateboard?  What do you mean?  It's hard as hell to skateboard.  Literally anyone can play basketball too, but doing it at an elite level is serious work.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Why isn't there an event for unicycle racing?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Biles, who is known for her rare ability to flip through the air and land on her feet, had developed the “twisties” — a sensation gymnasts can develop where they lose their sense of control in the air. Fear or pressure often trigger it.

I never put mental health and pressure together in the same thought and I asked if her losing that edge is the same as mental health.  I never thought losing confidence was a mental health attribute?  Either way I am rooting for her on the balance beam.  I am hoping for the happy ending!

There is an article that talks about doodling.  I used to be a doodle/drawing fiend.  My mind doesn't race like it used to so I don't do it as much.  Interesting as to why I most likely did it.

No idea.  I really don’t care about the olympics all that much to concern myself about Gymnastics 🤸‍♂️… a sport in which I never watch.  I may have watched 2 hours total…the Olympics are corrupt…I wish the Winter Olympics were boycotted…

I haven't watched much either.  Honestly I still can't get a grip on why water polo or skateboarding can be Olympic events.

I did watch some badminton the other day...but how far behind can cornhole be as an Olympic event?
    My gosh skateboarding sucks...is there an officially sanctioned spot where the skateboarders can smoke their weed?  Cornhole next, the Rodeo needs to be introduced.  Another sport I just can't get enough of is those wonderful equestrian athletes...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    Just watched the end of the men's qualifying round for climbing. Women's tomorrow morning and then finals on Thursday I believe. Some amazing athletes. 
    In my 20's I used to climb, repel, spelunk.  Loved it.  Then I watched some pros do it and could not believe how fast and nimble they were.  I called them "Spider monkeys".
    I climb, mostly indoors but outdoors whenever I can. Mostly lead but some bouldering. It’s an awesome sport in so many ways and climbers are generally a fun bunch of people. It’s true that the really skilled climbers look like they are floating up the wall. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Just watched the end of the men's qualifying round for climbing. Women's tomorrow morning and then finals on Thursday I believe. Some amazing athletes. 
    In my 20's I used to climb, repel, spelunk.  Loved it.  Then I watched some pros do it and could not believe how fast and nimble they were.  I called them "Spider monkeys".
    I climb, mostly indoors but outdoors whenever I can. Mostly lead but some bouldering. It’s an awesome sport in so many ways and climbers are generally a fun bunch of people. It’s true that the really skilled climbers look like they are floating up the wall. 
    If Ninja warrior was around when I was younger I think I'd have gave it a good run.  I filled out later so I'm not the correct build anymore.  Glad you can still do it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Water polo is difficult.  Those people that play at that level are cheating bastards too, lol.  Always kicking and pinching each other!  I enjoy watching it though.

Skateboarding literally anyone can do.  If they allow snowboarding, which I find boring as hell, then skateboarding, much more exciting, should be included.
    Literally anyone can skateboard?  What do you mean?  It's hard as hell to skateboard.  Literally anyone can play basketball too, but doing it at an elite level is serious work.  
    Exactly the point.  Watch the Olympics now and basketball has become a global sport and other countries are getting better.  Anyone can pick up a ball and learn to play.

Skateboarding can also be picked up by anyone in any country as long as you have pavement pretty much.  It is becoming global as well.  It's not like an equestrian sport where you need a damn horse and a ton of money.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I am content with being mediocre at both. A few friends went pro, though.

Unfortunately, my basketball player buddy suffered from mental health issues (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, addiction). He died a few years ago.

My skate crew was very lucky. We had Rodney Mullen around from time to time to mentor us. He was and remains an incredible human being. And he's still a creative force to be reckoned with.

https://youtu.be/-3tDvMG87Ro

I don't know if any of my old skater friends are still actively sponsored or pro, maybe one is, but that sport blows out knees pretty early. I don't know how the old guys still do it at an elite level. Bengay and anti-inflammatory meds, I'd guess. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Unfortunately, my basketball player buddy suffered from mental health issues (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, addiction). He died a few years ago.

My skate crew was very lucky. We had Rodney Mullen around from time to time to mentor us. He was and remains an incredible human being. And he's still a creative force to be reckoned with.

I don't know if any of my old skater friends are still actively sponsored or pro, maybe one is, but that sport blows out knees pretty early. I don't know how the old guys still do it at an elite level. Bengay and anti-inflammatory meds, I'd guess. 
    I'd say stop doing 40' boneless drop ins and 40 stair jumps?  They do look cool though.

Stick to the rails, lol.

I forgot that you had meetings w Mullen.  My all-time fav skater.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

I remember in high school going to a place in Cleveland to watch Mullen skate.  He was an amazing street skater.  That's awesome that you skated with him.  My only claim to fame is that I used to hang out with Vanilla Ice in the mid 90's when he owned a jet ski rental on Ft Myers Beach.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Exactly the point.  Watch the Olympics now and basketball has become a global sport and other countries are getting better.  Anyone can pick up a ball and learn to play.

Skateboarding can also be picked up by anyone in any country as long as you have pavement pretty much.  It is becoming global as well.  It's not like an equestrian sport where you need a damn horse and a ton of money.
    Sorry, I was misunderstanding your point.  I thought you were doggin out skateboarding like it was easy.  And if you skated, you know it's hard as hell and you get hurt.. a lot.  
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,036
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

I remember in high school going to a place in Cleveland to watch Mullen skate.  He was an amazing street skater.  That's awesome that you skated with him.  My only claim to fame is that I used to hang out with Vanilla Ice in the mid 90's when he owned a jet ski rental on Ft Myers Beach.  
    I hope you stopped collaborated and listened
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    If Ninja warrior was around when I was younger I think I'd have gave it a good run.  I filled out later so I'm not the correct build anymore.  Glad you can still do it.
    All sorts of body types can climb. Sport climbing has had a massive surge in popularity in recent years so there’s probably a gym near you. Give it try again! 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,504
    Water polo is awesome - they should have a league for it.

Wife and I were transfixed for hours by slalom canoeing. You really need to google it. Of course it's an absurd waste of money to build a slalom canoeing course, but I guess wasting taxpayer money is the whole point of the Olympics...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

hahaha.
    This.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    So glad it was  noticed and  enjoyed  . I was laughing  to myself a lot.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    So glad it was  noticed and  enjoyed  . I was laughing  to myself a lot.
    You know we all sung that in our heads when you wrote that, right?
    YARN  All right stop collaborate and listen  Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby   Video gifs by quotes  b3fe0adc
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nah man... police on the scene, you know what I mean.  
  • Options
    Eastern Europe sucks.  I'm Ukrainian but recognize how lawless and oppressive it can be.  Really sad.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/activist-vitaly-shishov-lukashenko-critic-who-got-olympians-partner-out-of-belarus-found-hanged-in-kiev?ref=home
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,504
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Eastern Europe sucks.  I'm Ukrainian but recognize how lawless and oppressive it can be.  Really sad.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/activist-vitaly-shishov-lukashenko-critic-who-got-olympians-partner-out-of-belarus-found-hanged-in-kiev?ref=home
    My God that's awful. Fascist thugs running amok in a different country. Straight outta The Americans.

A comedian from Yemen was on Colbert recently, and talking about how Americans love "their freedom." He said Yemen has ultimate freedom due to a lack of a functional government. What he loves about America is all the rules and regulations that most everyone abides by.
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

My God that's awful. Fascist thugs running amok in a different country. Straight outta The Americans.

A comedian from Yemen was on Colbert recently, and talking about how Americans love "their freedom." He said Yemen has ultimate freedom due to a lack of a functional government. What he loves about America is all the rules and regulations that most everyone abides by.
    There is a difference of living free and anarchy.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ...fuck they even have rock climbing...lol.  What next hiking?  

You would think Canadians might excel at rock climbing...but we likely suck at that.  

Is bowling being added soon?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Jesus Christ...fuck they even have rock climbing...lol.  What next hiking?  

You would think Canadians might excel at rock climbing...but we likely suck at that.  

Is bowling being added soon?
    Speed walking, table tennis and sych swimming for me.

Oh and golf should NOT be an Olympic sport...
  • Options
    Golf is harder than many that are stall warts. I say golf yes 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Golf is harder than many that are stall warts. I say golf yes 
    My reason for no on Golf is that we have a competition every week sometimes 2 of them.  There is no need for it.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I wonder if the rest of the world jokes about the fact that the U.S. doesn't really excel in the Olympic shooting events?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I wonder if the rest of the world jokes about the fact that the U.S. doesn't really excel in the Olympic shooting events?
    Pshhhaw.  Give us a full clip and watch us kill it!  
    ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    They won six medals, three were gold.  That’s not too shabby.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    It is kind of ironic that the us does not excel in the shooting events.  I believe they don’t do wait at the Winter Olympics shooting events…lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It is kind of ironic that the us does not excel in the shooting events.  I believe they don’t do wait at the Winter Olympics shooting events…lol
    Anything cross country related just seems like the worst....
  • Options
    Maybe the US should start recruiting at an NRA rally…

I did not know the summer Olympics had shooting events…

Give Peas A Chance…