Options

Olympics

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    hehehe...I see I touched a nerve.

Hey buddy....do you think Canada will crack into the top 10 today? Slovenia's breathing down your neck!

We are a country of 36 million…so we do alright.  Whatever is your point?  Do you have point?  Could you find Canada on map? 
    Fifty US dollars or 4 million Canadian dollars says percentage wise I can identify correctly more provinces than you can states.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You sure about that?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    edited July 2021
    You sure about that?
    Did you watch that documentary on the Russian 5 where Yzerman, McCarty, Osgood, Shanahan and Draper all defected from the Red Wings to play for the Soviet Team because it's so awesome there?  What a great story that was. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,833
    Some info on Biles and “the twisties “ 

https://apple.news/ANBbMGpu2Rm-bP37tfpGLVQ
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    mrussel1 said:
    You sure about that?
    Did you watch that documentary on the Russian 5 where Yzerman, McCarty, Osgood, Shanahan and Draper all defected from the Red Wings to play for the Soviet Team because it's so awesome there?  What a great story that was. 
    Even better, how about the support and encouragement Elena Mukhina received from her coaches and leaders before the 1980 olympics . A class act that Russia.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    edited July 2021
    People really criticizing a young girl for stepping out due to mental health in a sport they pretend to care about every 4 years
    Is losing that edge really mental health though?  Being gun shy or just not having it in you may be mental toughness but is it really mental health?

Curious if the two are considered the same thing or not?

Either way, she didn't feel she had it and she did the right thing.  We should be criticizing our basketball team above everything else at the Olympics.
    Yeah, what a bunch of losers! Says every over weight white male while drinking a beer, eating chips and scratching their nuts on the coach in front of their 60 inch TV.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,038
    The  shooting  final
     With no American? But i thought guns were the  national sport
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The  shooting  final
    Only if people are the intended target…oops.  Sorry.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    People really criticizing a young girl for stepping out due to mental health in a sport they pretend to care about every 4 years
    And they only care because they feel she cost the US a gold.  This wouldn’t even be a discussion if this was a sport that Americans sucked at…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The  shooting  final
    They  could have sent some cops 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,830
    Coach instead of couch.... why is this so funny to me...
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,504
    mcgruff10 said:

Hey buddy....do you think Canada will crack into the top 10 today? Slovenia's breathing down your neck!

We are a country of 36 million…so we do alright.  Whatever is your point?  Do you have point?  Could you find Canada on map? 
    Fifty US dollars or 4 million Canadian dollars says percentage wise I can identify correctly more provinces than you can states.  
    There's some possibility the troll can name 11 US states...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Are you sure about that.  Maybe McGruff can dress up in his indigenous costume and do a indigenous dance and show us…

it must be quite difficult to remember 10 provinces and 3 territories…lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The  shooting  final
    They  could have sent some cops 
    They’d win gold, medal and silver…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,659
    mcgruff10 said:

Are you sure about that.  Maybe McGruff can dress up in his indigenous costume and do a indigenous dance and show us…

Ontario
    British Columbia
    Nanuet
    Northwest Territories
    Nova Scotia
    Saskatchewan
    Alberta
    Quebec
    New Brunswick
    Prince Edward Island
    Yukon

What did I leave out?  I love our neighbors to the north (well, most of them) -- certainly enjoy a much higher percentage of people I have met from Canada vs. people I have met from USA.

• Options
    :lol:  I just looked on a map.  Nunavut.  :lol:  I just learned of this place a few years back, had never heard of it before and I see I botched the name quite badly.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    And, Newfoundland & Labrador...which sound an awful lot like dogs, down here.  Forgot that one.
    Dammit, Manitoba...easy one and I left that off too.

Geography is not a strong suit, but I can name all 50 states.  ;)  (Been to almost every one!)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Nothing quite like the olympics to bring people from different countries together 
  • Options
    The  shooting  final
    I read that the us got a few gold medals in different shooting events.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

That would be pretty hot.  Let me look into that and I ll get back to you.  
  • Options
    Haha mcgruff as the  dude from the  village people
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Jumb0 said:
    Nothing quite like the olympics to bring people from different countries together 

LOL.  I thought this thread was from that cesspool over in A Moving Train.

I wasn't too excited for these Olympics but still find myself watching every night.  It isn't the same without fans but I always love watching the swimming.  Dressel with the gold in 100m last night was great and the American dude who came out of nowhere to win the 800m was awesome!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    tbergs said:
    Is losing that edge really mental health though?  Being gun shy or just not having it in you may be mental toughness but is it really mental health?

Curious if the two are considered the same thing or not?

Either way, she didn't feel she had it and she did the right thing.  We should be criticizing our basketball team above everything else at the Olympics.
    Yeah, what a bunch of losers! Says every over weight white male while drinking a beer, eating chips and scratching their nuts on the coach in front of their 60 inch TV.
    Ummm, that's not what I was saying at all.  Nice take though.  Wrong, but nice take.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Anybody see the Mens even bars?  I did not know that they name the move after you if you do it at an international event.  That is pretty neat.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited July 2021

So you got 34 million more people than Slovenia and they are still breathing down your neck? 

Perhaps I touched a nerve...lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Jumb0 said:
    Zod said:
    I read Japan will lose at least 20 billion…lmfao.  Toyota cancelled their ads in support of the Japanese people who wanted the games cancelled…

and yes fans matter.  Now Japan and her citizens are really on the hook…

and many of those venues will not be utilized when the games are over.

countries need to re-think if the bullshit Olympics are worth it anymore…

Yah, I read the Japan legally didn't have the capacity to cancel or postpone them.  They got stuck in a bad place.

I'm not sure why countries are so eager to host them.  It does seem like a giant money pit of which you have very little control over.   Japan is probably the worst example, because of the pandemic, and not getting any ticket revenue.. but other years countries end up losing too.

Maybe countries will be less eager going forward.  Maybe repeating cities from the past that already infrastructure in place?

There should really only be 2-3 "permanent" hosts for each of the summer and winter Olympics. It's a huge money suck for most countries who have to build a ridiculous amount of infrastructure/stadiums/arenas etc. Then after the olympics are over almost all of the facilities are just abandoned. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/abandoned-olympic-venues-around-the-world-photos-rio-2016-8
    It would make sense to me to not host them all I. 1 place. Why not 1 country do water sports that already has the pools, another dog gymnastics, another open water sports, etc. you who’s t have to build a village to host thr athletes and staff, or not one nearly as big. Smaller investment for the country, and you’re not stuck with the same 3 or 4.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I feel so bad for Simone. I don’t know why anyone would be upset with her decision, including her teammates. It’s not like she withdrew to go film a movie and bail. She was doing worse and worse every day and feared for her safety and knew someone else could do better. They wouldn’t have even won silver if she stayed and fell off the beam a couple times.
    This was no doubt the toughest decision of her life. This sport at that level you don’t have a life outside gymnastics. You give up your childhood (and as we later learned, a lot more than that) for just a few moments at the olympics. The window where your body can perform is so small you’re lucky if you get 2 chances. She will almost certainly be retired in 3 years. There’s no way she would withdraw her second and last chance to compete unless she had to and it was for the best. This may be the most demanding sport. It’s not like curling where you work at Best Buy and practice on the weekends then go for a beer. You train full time, all year. She gave all that up. That decision was not made lightly. She will be asked for the rest of her life why, and the what if’s. 
    Hoping she can perform in the individual events. Haven’t heard anything on that yet.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I feel so bad for Simone. I don’t know why anyone would be upset with her decision, including her teammates. It’s not like she withdrew to go film a movie and bail. She was doing worse and worse every day and feared for her safety and knew someone else could do better. They wouldn’t have even won silver if she stayed and fell off the beam a couple times.
    This was no doubt the toughest decision of her life. This sport at that level you don’t have a life outside gymnastics. You give up your childhood (and as we later learned, a lot more than that) for just a few moments at the olympics. The window where your body can perform is so small you’re lucky if you get 2 chances. She will almost certainly be retired in 3 years. There’s no way she would withdraw her second and last chance to compete unless she had to and it was for the best. This may be the most demanding sport. It’s not like curling where you work at Best Buy and practice on the weekends then go for a beer. You train full time, all year. She gave all that up. That decision was not made lightly. She will be asked for the rest of her life why, and the what if’s. 
    Hoping she can perform in the individual events. Haven’t heard anything on that yet.
    I agree  i saw her there cheering on the team and her  team mate  getting  gold.  My heart is with her. Im not American  but i am human.
    Let me run into the rain to shine a human  light  today!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07