2022 North American rumour thread take 2

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,518
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:
    EV at tonight’s show spoke about getting Covid before the tour, cutting practice time from 14 days to roughly two. Josh was a last-second scratch tonight because he tested positive.

While I’m still optimistic they’ll still have their May tour dates, it definitely adds a little more context on how something as simple as one member getting it can toss a wrench into planning.
      And that’s why we haven’t got Pearl Jam tour dates. The Earthlings were still able to play as there are people who can cover for Josh. If this was Pearl Jam and anyone other than Boom or Josh got Covid, they would have to postpone several shows. This is what Jeff meant when he said Eddie’s tour was the test for them. 

Here in “extremely Covid safe’’ NY mask mandates were dropped, and when I walk in stores, mask usage is nearly zero. It seems this is the time we all need to learn how to live with this damn virus.

Unless a band has a member at high risk, it seems it’s time to shrug off positive cases, stand six feet apart and play on. At least for the bands who need to make a living after two years on the shelf. If positive but symptoms are light, why not perform if we aren’t even going to wear masks anymore?

If anyone in the industry could explain, would it have been too difficult to do a show in DC as part of the expected upcoming tour and give Baltimore ticket holders the option of first priority for tickets there or refund if not interested. That seems to be an easy fix.

given how uniquely difficult PJ tickets can be to get, and how much work they expect us to do to get tickets, lotteries, early on sales, etc. to not lift a finger to do something for these fans before issuing a message like this is very deflating. And then they have to say they hope to take care of fans in the future with absolutely zero information on that after two years of waiting. Gee, thanks for the effort fellas.
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:
    EV at tonight’s show spoke about getting Covid before the tour, cutting practice time from 14 days to roughly two. Josh was a last-second scratch tonight because he tested positive.

While I’m still optimistic they’ll still have their May tour dates, it definitely adds a little more context on how something as simple as one member getting it can toss a wrench into planning.
      And that’s why we haven’t got Pearl Jam tour dates. The Earthlings were still able to play as there are people who can cover for Josh. If this was Pearl Jam and anyone other than Boom or Josh got Covid, they would have to postpone several shows. This is what Jeff meant when he said Eddie’s tour was the test for them. 

Here in “extremely Covid safe’’ NY mask mandates were dropped, and when I walk in stores, mask usage is nearly zero. It seems this is the time we all need to learn how to live with this damn virus.

Unless a band has a member at high risk, it seems it’s time to shrug off positive cases, stand six feet apart and play on. At least for the bands who need to make a living after two years on the shelf. If positive but symptoms are light, why not perform if we aren’t even going to wear masks anymore?
    It’s because the unions won’t allow bands and their crews to ignore positive tests. If anyone in the entourage tests positive they are out until no longer positive. It doesn’t matter what we as fans think. This is just what touring today entails from the side of the performers.
  • fl247556fl247556 Posts: 287
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Wonder if there are any spicy dates to look forward to!
    Spicy as in New Orleans?! If so I m in!

I am very surprised that my expression of "spicy" continues its path even today! I think that's all you're looking for with PJ concerts! Thanks again Dimitris for answering!
    freddie vedder
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    So speaking of spicy what cities that have not been hit in awhile would you love to see get the arena show treatment this spring/fall?
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,203
    PJNB said:
    So speaking of spicy what cities that have not been hit in awhile would you love to see get the arena show treatment this spring/fall?
    Atlanta & Vegas
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,942
    PJNB said:

Manchester, NH!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,389
    PJNB said:
    Nyc , nj and Philly.  :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

My first thought after hearing Josh was out with Covid (after “wow that sucks”) was this. Definitely throws a wrench in. Some of the fans here clambering for dates wold be super pissed if their date was canceled due to one of the main 5 out due to Covid or if they played without them and subbed in someone else. So the Earthings tour is def a dry run for the bigger PJ tour.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,120
    mpedone said:
    PJNB said:

Manchester, NH!
    Was going to say Augusta, ME but this is better. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,806
    edited February 2022
    PJNB said:

Cleveland, Louisville, Charlottesville, Salt Lake City, Grand Rapids
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    tdawe said:
    mpedone said:
    Manu117 said:
    Wow Matchbox 20 just moved their entire 2022 summer tour to 2023, with Europe in 2024. A lot of their shows were outdoor sheds. 

As in, actual sheds? Like, in people's backyards? Who the * is going to a Matchbox 20 show in 2022? The last time they were relevant was when they were name-dropped on season 3 of Veronica Mars so that Piz could utter the line, "Rob Thomas is a whore!" to poke fun at the show's creator. And, well, to call Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 a whore.
    I had thoughts along these lines, but then I remembered that I was posting on a Pearl Jam message board in 2022. 
    :lol: I told someone we saw Pearl Jam and he said “You mean like recently?”, implying “they’re still around?”. And then broke into some Even Flow lyrics.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,942
    tdawe said:
    mpedone said:
    Manu117 said:
    Wow Matchbox 20 just moved their entire 2022 summer tour to 2023, with Europe in 2024. A lot of their shows were outdoor sheds. 

As in, actual sheds? Like, in people's backyards? Who the * is going to a Matchbox 20 show in 2022? The last time they were relevant was when they were name-dropped on season 3 of Veronica Mars so that Piz could utter the line, "Rob Thomas is a whore!" to poke fun at the show's creator. And, well, to call Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 a whore.
    I had thoughts along these lines, but then I remembered that I was posting on a Pearl Jam message board in 2022. 
    :lol: I told someone we saw Pearl Jam and he said “You mean like recently?”, implying “they’re still around?”. And then broke into some Even Flow lyrics.

See, I would argue that PJ has been far more relevant over the past 10-15 years than Matchbox Twenty, but I'm also COMPLETELY stumped when recent pop music is a category on Jeopardy!, so I will admit to not knowing much about what is and isn't relevant anymore. And by "anymore", I mean since the early 2000s.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,730
    PJNB said:
    Houston. Also, Austin has a new arena opening in a few months. It’d be nice to get our first non festival show sine ‘95. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,806
    edited February 2022
    One thought I’ve had regarding this tour….

Will this be the year where the setlist variability starts to decrease?  I don’t think they’ll do 30+ song nights regularly anymore.  The sets are all going to be Gigaton heavy.  Between that, the 5-7 hits they play every night, plus the inevitable covers and Earthling songs that’ll find their way onto the setlist, how much variety can we expect?
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • ComeToTX said:
    PJNB said:
    Houston. Also, Austin has a new arena opening in a few months. It’d be nice to get our first non festival show sine ‘95. 
    Houston wins by a landslide.  We've all laid out the facts: 4th largest city in the US, 2 intl airports within 30 min of downtown, NBA arena, huge amphitheater, good weather early spring or fall tour. I could go on
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    Nyc , nj and Philly.  :)
    Well I mean NJ has only been like 6 months so they are due! 

NYC and Philly being on their 6th year with no shows is insanity. 
  • we are closing in to 20 years of Atlanta getting a proper, stand alone PJ show
    Atlanta, GA 8/7/00...Atlanta, GA 4/19/03...Columbia, SC 6/16/08...New Orleans, LA 5/1/10...East Troy, WI 9/3/11... East Troy, WI 9/4/11... Atlanta, GA 9/22/12...Greenville, SC 4/16/16...Nashville, TN 9/16/22
    edited February 2022
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

My first thought after hearing Josh was out with Covid (after “wow that sucks”) was this. Definitely throws a wrench in. Some of the fans here clambering for dates wold be super pissed if their date was canceled due to one of the main 5 out due to Covid or if they played without them and subbed in someone else. So the Earthings tour is def a dry run for the bigger PJ tour.
    So now they know band members can catch it. We have known that in the past as well from other bands experiencing this. If that is the case that this is a dry run how does this change things going forward for them if at all?
  • Um, anywhere on the planet is due.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    edited February 2022
    PJNB said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

So now they know band members can catch it. We have known that in the past as well from other bands experiencing this. If that is the case that this is a dry run how does this change things going forward for them if at all?
    Of course they know Covid can be caught. I think it was a test to see if and how they could make it through without many hiccups or cancellations. So far they had to cancel 10 practices, Glen was almost not allowed to play in NY (positive test, then multiple negative right after), and now Josh was out last night due to a positive test. We are only 5 shows in with 4 to go. PJ are playing much more than 9 shows in 6 cities.
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    PJNB said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

Of course they know Covid can be caught. I think it was a test to see if and how they could make it through without many hiccups or cancellations. So far they had to cancel 10 practices, Glen was almost not allowed to play in NY (positive test, then multiple negative right after), and now Josh was out last night due to a positive test. We are only 5 shows in with 4 to go. PJ are playing much more than 9 shows in 6 cities.
    Not sure that will be accurate. They will be doing 5 shows in one state alone. Only 3 cities in that state. If the MSG rumours are true that leaves only 5 more shows in 5 cities for the spring tour. 10 shows and 8 cities. 

I am not arguing that it will be challenging just that the data has always been there from other bands. Them seeing it first hand matters of course but just curious and thinking out loud that if they are seeing this how does it change things for May if at all. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,416
    PJNB said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

they should only be testing if someone has symptoms.  hopefully that is what they are doing.  there is no reason to test those who are asymptomatic.  that is how the sports leagues are now doing it before people start to pile on me for that comment.
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

they should only be testing if someone has symptoms.  hopefully that is what they are doing.  there is no reason to test those who are asymptomatic.  that is how the sports leagues are now doing it before people start to pile on me for that comment.
    Hopefully correct and in May things could change again where positive tests do not even matter anymore for isolation purposes. 
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

Hopefully correct and in May things could change again where positive tests do not even matter anymore for isolation purposes. 
    Yes hopefully things will change by then! But I don’t think they have control right now on testing protocols.
    KL159781 said:
    KL159781 said:
    tschav said:

It’s because the unions won’t allow bands and their crews to ignore positive tests. If anyone in the entourage tests positive they are out until no longer positive. It doesn’t matter what we as fans think. This is just what touring today entails from the side of the performers.

Thanks. Very ironic white collar unions, who throughout the pandemic were a large voice on freedom and no restrictions, would force bands to cancel shows when even the cautious states are dropping almost all Covid precautions. Either we treat this as an endemic and learn to live with it or not. Baffling.
  • camhendycamhendy Posts: 164
    One thought I’ve had regarding this tour….

Will this be the year where the setlist variability starts to decrease?  I don’t think they’ll do 30+ song nights regularly anymore.  The sets are all going to be Gigaton heavy.  Between that, the 5-7 hits they play every night, plus the inevitable covers and Earthling songs that’ll find their way onto the setlist, how much variety can we expect?
    I was thinking about this too. Especially seeing how static these Earthling shows have been (including Dirty Frank). Plus the SHN and Ohana sets weren't remarkably different, granted festival sets. With that said - Ed was talking about PJ's setlists on Smartless and he seems very aware that a number of people catch half a dozen+ shows on tour because of the variety of experience. I would expect sets to be Gigaton heavy but still quite unique and yes probably fewer 30+ marathons
    2013: London
    2016: Ottawa
    2018: Wrigley 1 & 2
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Innings Fest (EV), Ft Worth 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Seattle 1 & 2

I would think the Earthings setlists are rather static 1) because they are playing the new album 2) the Earthings don’t know the full PJ catalog. They can only play what they’ve practiced… in their two practices!
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    I think it’s actually a positive (no pun intended) that Josh contracted Covid and they still played. Carried on with the tour. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    Josh catching it now and Eddie having it recently likely means they will not catch it on the May run hopefully. Another positive! I can see it now. Josh and Eddie only out there with Boom for a whole show.